Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

it means that frodo had his cock out in that scene

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thumper57
Feb 26, 2004

In Hobbiton slang, he was baggin' it

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Frodo Shaggin'

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

YaketySass posted:

Frodo Shaggin'

That’s Frito Bugger to you, buddy.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Baggins on the streets, Took in the sheets

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Mukulu posted:

There were Entwives

You ever actually meet these Entwives? Did Treebeard also tell you they live in Canada?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
I hope the Rings of Power features Sacha Baron Cohen as an Ent so he can do the Borat voice to say "My Entwife."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like how Bilbo wrote the biggest poem in the book and filled it with ten dollar words like habergeon and flammifer and made it all about his host's dad who is also Venus

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah it’s a good poem.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
https://twitter.com/teawithtolkien/status/1601429884282101761?s=46&t=iTgzfty5SlcLCZkiWspZRw

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

This, uh, went places

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Hi nerds. Andy Serkis or Rob Inglis?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Serkis. Inglis has got a great voice for audiobooks but Serkis's physical performance adds another layer on top of a fantastic voice performance.

I was in the bookstore and saw a new hardback on the Fall of Numenor. Is it just a reprint of History of Middle Earth and other sources or is there anything previously unpublished in there?

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 11, 2022

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I think what I want to know most is, which one of them is the better singer?

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Is Serkis better with time for proper rehearsal and production?

I was deeply unimpressed by that live online performance of the Hobbit he did during lockdown.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIrIK6Z8ybg

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

lol

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

wouldn't there be no universe then

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I lolled at the Glenn Yarbrough fan.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Deptfordx posted:

Is Serkis better with time for proper rehearsal and production?

I was deeply unimpressed by that live online performance of the Hobbit he did during lockdown.

Same. Dude's an awesome physical actor but he can NOT read prose.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
He did that largely on the fly with little rehearsal. Reading an entire book live out loud is HARD if you don’t know the material inside and out.

Audiobook production is HEAVILY edited. Sometimes the narrators have to read a line 10 times before they get it right. And you only ever hear the best take.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mahoning posted:

He did that largely on the fly with little rehearsal. Reading an entire book live out loud is HARD if you don’t know the material inside and out.

Audiobook production is HEAVILY edited. Sometimes the narrators have to read a line 10 times before they get it right. And you only ever hear the best take.

I've listened to the Inglis readings and I think they're pretty drat great, but if he did more than one take on any of the songs, I can't imagine what the other takes sounded like.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Mahoning posted:

If you listen to a lot of audiobooks (as i do), obvious stumbles and fuckups are not uncommon. And I don't just mean Kindle Unlimited level stuff where someones basically just thrown together a quick Audio version.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Stephen Fry once told a funny story on QI about narrating the Harry Potter audio books, which he agreed to before HP blew up everywhere and turned into a 7-book marathon. Basically every sentence had to be precisely perfect, because the idea was that kids could listen to the narration and read along on the page, helping them develop reading skills.

So the whole process naturally took forever. According to Stephen there was one phrase he just genuinely couldn’t say without stumbling (“Harry pocketed it”). By about take 50 he ended up calling JK Rowling and asked if he could say something different. Her answer? “No.” And of course, just to annoy him she ensured that phrase appeared in every subsequent book.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

webmeister posted:

According to Stephen there was one phrase he just genuinely couldn’t say without stumbling (“Harry pocketed it”). By about take 50 he ended up calling JK Rowling and asked if he could say something different. Her answer? “No.” And of course, just to annoy him she ensured that phrase appeared in every subsequent book.

please don't tell stories that make me like JK Rowling

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Pham Nuwen posted:

please don't tell stories that make me like JK Rowling

To be fair, she is the rear end in a top hat in this story, it's just that it's funny when people are assholes to Stephen Fry in general.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Actually, nobodies answered my question yet.

As I say, I didn't like the off the cuff Covid performance of the Hobbit, but I'm perfectly prepared to believe Serkis is decent with prep.

So how is the Serkis performance of the LOTR books, has anyone actually listened to them?

Inglis is fine but he's a little too thespian for me some times. I'd be interested in hearing another decent performance.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Deptfordx posted:

Actually, nobodies answered my question yet.

As I say, I didn't like the off the cuff Covid performance of the Hobbit, but I'm perfectly prepared to believe Serkis is decent with prep.

So how is the Serkis performance of the LOTR books, has anyone actually listened to them?

Inglis is fine but he's a little too thespian for me some times. I'd be interested in hearing another decent performance.

Just listen to the 5 minute sample and decide for yourself?

https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Hobbit-Audiobook/1705009050

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
This isn't Lotr related at all but I listened to a few clips the other day of Jerome Flynn reading ASOIAF text and he was quite good at it. I'd love to hear him narrate a fantasy novel. He had a good voice and cadence for it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Ginette Reno posted:

This isn't Lotr related at all but I listened to a few clips the other day of Jerome Flynn reading ASOIAF text and he was quite good at it. I'd love to hear him narrate a fantasy novel. He had a good voice and cadence for it.

wasn't he like a singer too

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Kaysette posted:

Just listen to the 5 minute sample and decide for yourself?

https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Hobbit-Audiobook/1705009050

Oh sure, and it's a good check that the reader isn't obviously terrible. But you only get a tiny slice of characterisation and prose

But speaking of egregious previews check this out.

https://www.audible.com/pd/The-Viki...0AF9A1YJMQ10CKF

It's amazing.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

https://acoup.blog/2022/12/16/collections-why-rings-of-powers-middle-earth-feels-flat/

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

For some reason I read all of this, despite not having seen Rings of Power. (Is it a fair judgment, for those who have?)
Anyway I've read heaps of (mostly bad) sci-fi/fantasy over the years, and a lot of authors seem to have trouble making worlds that feel populated. This is especially true in stories where the protag gets transported from our world to another. It always feels like this new realm contains about four people.
Interesting that this ACOUP should pick up on the same thing.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Realism is really the least of the show's problems but ACOUP is pretty good as far as pop history blogs go. His Siege of Gondor/Battle of Helm's Deeps series are long but interesting reads, making the argument that Sauron, Denethor and Theoden genuinely feel like competent commanders, and how much of a know-nothing fuckup Saruman is by comparison.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

fantasy doesn't need to be realistic to be good. the show does feel flat, but it's because it isn't fantastical enough, the main characters are boring, the massive budget doesn't show anywhere, and there seems to be only like 100 people living in the whole world

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

ChubbyChecker posted:

fantasy doesn't need to be realistic to be good. the show does feel flat, but it's because it isn't fantastical enough, the main characters are boring, the massive budget doesn't show anywhere, and there seems to be only like 100 people living in the whole world

There's realistic and there's realistic, though. He's using it to describe more a kind of... groundedness than the "hurr you've got magic and demigods and elves how's any of that realistic" realistic. Things like "getting to certain places is going to take a certain amount of time unless you specifically mention you're using a magic dingus to get there faster" and "come on, you're not going to fit 300 horses on that ship and if you are then show us them all trotting out of the Bag of Holding" and so on. Which makes sense; if a pyroclastic flow isn't going to Pompeii everything it touches why worry about it? It's just spectacle with no involvement, and if that's what they were going for then they should have gone in a drat sight harder on the spectacle. It's not as though the Sil's short on spectacle FFS!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah I mostly enjoyed Rings of Power having firmly placed it in the category of "It's the worlds most expensive ever fan-fiction. Roll with it". But that Pyroclastic flow bit was bullshit. I was genuinally curious to see the next episode and see how the hell everyone didn't just die, but nope! Some extras died, but all the main cast are inexplicably fine* without explanation.

*Oh and one case of blindness without a shred of accompanying burns of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

There's realistic and there's realistic, though. He's using it to describe more a kind of... groundedness than the "hurr you've got magic and demigods and elves how's any of that realistic" realistic. Things like "getting to certain places is going to take a certain amount of time unless you specifically mention you're using a magic dingus to get there faster" and "come on, you're not going to fit 300 horses on that ship and if you are then show us them all trotting out of the Bag of Holding" and so on. Which makes sense; if a pyroclastic flow isn't going to Pompeii everything it touches why worry about it? It's just spectacle with no involvement, and if that's what they were going for then they should have gone in a drat sight harder on the spectacle. It's not as though the Sil's short on spectacle FFS!

It is a little puzzling that, if you're gonna do everything with CGI anyway, you'd decide that 3 ships is a pretty good amount. Make a loving armada, you're just telling the CGI slaves to copy-paste a few times!