Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Started up Midnight Suns but didn't get too far into it tonight, not feeling great and had to lay down a bit.

Haven't done enough to talk much about the gameplay, but man, this does not feel like a $70 game. The cutscenes that aren't done in the engine are really low res for some reason and have all sorts of compression artifacting on a 4k TV. Characters look like something from the early PS4 era, and the voice acting ranges from passable to hot garbage. I chose a female protagonist and she's no Jennifer Hale, that's for sure. Combat might be fun, once it opens up more, but I'm a little disappointed that it seems so stationary compared to something like XCom -- you only get one move per turn between all 3 characters, so you only ever move to use environmental objects or line up knockback attacks, and more enemies just keep unpredictably spawning into the same little arena.

Maybe I'm just down on it because I'm frustrated being sick, I dunno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Ragnarok is my latest platinum. What a chore. Especially because a huge area in Vanaheim opens up after finishing the story that adds to all the busywork you need to do to get to 100%.

Saved the two toughest battles for last after all the collectible hunting.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ZeeBoi posted:

Ragnarok is my latest platinum. What a chore. Especially because a huge area in Vanaheim opens up after finishing the story that adds to all the busywork you need to do to get to 100%.

LMAO. The best zone in the game is a chore. Why did you even play if you weren't enjoying it?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Ran into a weird issue with Callisto Protocol. Right before a boss fight, you have to fend off waves of simple enemies. I screwed up a little and got through the last wave by the skin of my teeth, no ammo and a sliver of health. I ran around the arena and topped up both, then the boss cinematic played. The first time, I almost get him, but then screw up and die. No big deal, figure I can get him the second time.

Thing is, there was a checkpoint before the boss, but the checkpoint seemed to take my health and ammo from the moment I killed the last enemy of the last wave, but also started me right at the boss cinematic. So, the checkpoint put me into the boss fight with an empty gun and no health, lol.

I guess I could have loaded an earlier checkpoint and tried to get through the waves in better condition, but the boss is pretty easy to cheese by kiting him around the arena. Sort of a cheap victory and kinda an unfair checkpoint design though. Surprised it shipped like that.

Only real glitch I've had in the entire game (Does it count as a glitch?), still like it overall. Achievements wise it looks like I'm near the end.

I think my biggest complaint is that stealth is ridiculously OP in the late game. Too easy to just go around shanking chains of enemies until a room is clear. No real incentive not to do so, except that it's a little boring. Seems like stealth killing should alert nearby enemies (They supposedly react to sound clicker style, but don't notice the super loud death cries of a stealth stab), or use an item, or something. But nope, nothing stopping you from stabbing 20 dudes in a room while crouched.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Dec 3, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ZeeBoi posted:

Nobody was forcing you to get the plat

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

LMAO. The best zone in the game is a chore. Why did you even play if you weren't enjoying it?

Games too long. Too boring. Cutscene going on right now as i type this im like drat sony you hosed it so hard. If only they had barlog there to direct a tighter campaign. He's made the only good god of wars. Oh poo poo i can play again but im still typing while holding up on the stick cause its a boring walk and talk despite being post point of no return for the endgame gently caress the playstation im never buying a sequel from them again.

Edit: ok its another cutscene now so i can type again...im finishing it so that i know how bad it is and how hbo brained you all are.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

why does kratos hold up mimir to look at the lore marker things when all mimir ever does is ask kratos what it says?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s his daily Duolingo

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

ShoogaSlim posted:

why does kratos hold up mimir to look at the lore marker things when all mimir ever does is ask kratos what it says?

Because they're friends and he's being more inclusive, rather than treating him like a ball that knows poo poo.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

HBO brained is an insult?

If you don’t enjoy the game why would you force yourself to play the post game?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

wtf is wrong with goons lmao

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

i mean i get it, that's why I still haven't played TLOU or Uncharted, but ragnarok in particular is a very good blend of cinematic along with fun gameplay

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I have two trophies left for Ragnarok and it’s those awful puzzle chests and artefacts. I should’ve left the extra boss for the last trophy because lol I’m not doing any of that now

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Gowr is definitely too long. I'm at 30 hours with no end in sight and starting to skip side content. The gameplay is fine but not so good that I crave more and the plot so far is a series of chores, there's no momentum to keep me hooked. I only have a sense it's building to something because of endless prophetic exposition about Ragnarok. It's very pretty but that awe wears thin eventually. And since it plays so similar to the first game, there's little in the way of novelty to distract me. Maybe it ends strong idk. Can't help but suspect I could've saved $70 and played TLOU2 for a third time if I wanted a familiar linear AAA experience, and probably had more fun. Less Mimir for sure.

acksplode fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 3, 2022

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Real hurthling! posted:

Games too long. Too boring. Cutscene going on right now as i type this im like drat sony you hosed it so hard. If only they had barlog there to direct a tighter campaign. He's made the only good god of wars. Oh poo poo i can play again but im still typing while holding up on the stick cause its a boring walk and talk despite being post point of no return for the endgame gently caress the playstation im never buying a sequel from them again.

Edit: ok its another cutscene now so i can type again...im finishing it so that i know how bad it is and how hbo brained you all are.

shut da gently caress upppppp

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

anyone far enough into gowr wanna spoil for me whether there's a realm similar to either of the ones in the last game that were strictly for challenges? the fire one and the one with the poison mist on the floor? i sank over 100 hours into gow18 bc of the randomized arena battles. the combat is awesome and if i get to basically do only that in a roguelike sort of fashion im all in.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ShoogaSlim posted:

anyone far enough into gowr wanna spoil for me whether there's a realm similar to either of the ones in the last game that were strictly for challenges? the fire one and the one with the poison mist on the floor? i sank over 100 hours into gow18 bc of the randomized arena battles. the combat is awesome and if i get to basically do only that in a roguelike sort of fashion im all in.

Yes. You go to all of the realms in GOWR

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yes. You go to all of the realms in GOWR

:krad:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Starting to understand the social experiment the GoWR devs put out where people who don’t enjoy the game absolutely should not have children.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

acksplode posted:

Gowr is definitely too long. I'm at 30 hours with no end in sight and starting to skip side content. The gameplay is fine but not so good that I crave more and the plot so far is a series of chores, there's no momentum to keep me hooked. I only have a sense it's building to something because of endless prophetic exposition about Ragnarok. It's very pretty but that awe wears thin eventually. And since it plays so similar to the first game, there's little in the way of novelty to distract me. Maybe it ends strong idk. Can't help but suspect I could've saved $70 and played TLOU2 for a third time if I wanted a familiar linear AAA experience, and probably had more fun. Less Mimir for sure.

You’ve made it that long all by yourself entirely by doing side stuff, the story path is just over half that length.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like it, but have hella mixed feelings on it. The people who think it's beyond criticism and get mad anytime someone doesn't suck it off are easily as annoying as the hater poo poo posters.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

For sure, but “I keep doing all the optional side content why is it taking me so long to finish this game?” is kind of silly

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I stopped trying to finish all of that poo poo a bit back, but to be fair the game really invites you to clear out optional areas in a way that it feels like it's the next thing you should be doing, so maybe they should have made the optional stuff better because the puzzles and traversal are real bad and doing the optional stuff kills the pacing of the already very meandering story.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I like it, but have hella mixed feelings on it. The people who think it's beyond criticism and get mad anytime someone doesn't suck it off are easily as annoying as the hater poo poo posters.

Nobody in here thinks it's beyond criticism.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I won't have a final take until I finish it, but at 30 hours I feel like it's probably an insanely good 12 hour game that has 28+ hours of mostly crap stuffed into it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

The optional stuff definitely becomes a slog, I think, especially in the two realms they clearly spent all their time on.

I’d have rather seen those areas cut down and some other realms expanded if they really wanted to have all this stuff in there, to at least make it more varied.

I don’t know if I’d agree about the game making it feel like the optional stuff is what you should be doing next sometimes though. The story objective is always right there in your little checklist of things to do to advance the story, and the only ‘steer’ you get to ever deviate from that path is other characters saying “do you wanna go do something else?”.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I thought Ragnarok was simply a good, expensive videogame and I appreciate it for doing that with a good heart.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://twitter.com/CallistoTheGame/status/1598458091569569792

ng+/hardcore mode coming in 2 months. not gonna lie i'm tempted to wait until the complete version is cheaper

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Literally not a single person is doing this.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Callisto’s final boss is pretty dumb.

Overall I liked the game, but mostly for the presentation. The aesthetics, sound, and haptic design are all top notch. Everything looks, feels, and sounds immense and crunchy.

The gameplay… feels like it needed to be prototyped more. Like I get the impression that they went with an idea that sounded nice on paper, then started building final assets and animations before the design was fully baked. It just feels kind of shallow and they don’t find interesting ways to build on it.

I don’t find it as frustrating as reviewers, if anything it’s way to easy. But it’s just kinda thin.

Pretty as hell and the best controller haptics outside a first party title tho.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

https://twitter.com/CallistoTheGame/status/1598458091569569792

ng+/hardcore mode coming in 2 months. not gonna lie i'm tempted to wait until the complete version is cheaper

Will Ng+ be as bad as the first time?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
If optional content ends up ruining/diminishing the game for most/many people, than I absolutely think it's a problem, even if the game didn't force you to do it.

Though I personally am especially bad at striking a balance between main and side stuff when I'm given free rein. I suck at time management, and I often burn out on open world games before finishing them.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I’m in the GOWR postgame now, and I’m enjoying going around and finishing the side stuff. The only really annoying thing for me is traversing TO the side stuff, especially in vantage in

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I think god of war ragnarok is beyond criticism

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I think it’s possible to criticize Ragnarok, but anyone who does so is a nazi who eats live babies.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

fridge corn posted:

I think god of war ragnarok is beyond criticism

Same expect for Sonic Frontiers

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

shut da gently caress upppppp

Stop quoting me during the freya sections

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
a lot of the writing in gowr was real dogshit. e.g. surtr walking you through an incredible volcanic world to a celestial vista while saying poo poo like “i’m gonna get real big and do giant stuff or whatever” did a child write this?

the combat was good. i played on the highest difficulty which could make the fights a bit of a slog, but tolerating the cringe cutscenes was the greatest challenge of all

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I'm playing gow 2018 and just let the kid carry his mother's ashes you selfish idiot bitch baby

gently caress you kratos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
*someone criticises literally any aspect of ragnarok* oh so you hate norwegians?? interesting….