Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Walking past this sign, I realize that I brought the wrong umbrella with me when leaving the house today as I hear something rushing towards me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

This is pretty impressive—guess trying to find a funnel is too time-consuming?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Jet Jaguar posted:

This is pretty impressive—guess trying to find a funnel is too time-consuming?

I've never worked in a kitchen that had funnels big enough to be useful in that situation - and anyway it seems to me like the funnel would plug up trying to exchange air, and slow down the pour. The plastic spice jar has such a wide mouth that the fastest way to fill it is just to figure out how high and how tilted to hold the Cambro.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

and anyway it seems to me like the funnel would plug up trying to exchange air, and slow down the pour.

You can prevent this by putting a wedge in under the funnel so it doesn't seal to the mouth of the container. I use a folded bit of paper.
But yeah the mouth of that jar is wide enough already that a funnel wouldn't be useful.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Mister Speaker posted:

I've never worked in a kitchen that had funnels big enough to be useful in that situation

Acquiring a jar funnel seems like less work than cleaning up the inevitable mess before you get it right.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

thisusedyet posted:

That's actually interesting! Goose turns into Geese because it was stolen from a Germanic / Old English language, whereas Moose was ripped from Algonquian

https://www.languagepacifica.com/po...%20and%20moose.

Neat! English being a merge of different languages is what gives it its weird and confusing rules, but it's always interesting to learn about them.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Uthor posted:

Neat! English being a merge of different languages is what gives it its weird and confusing rules, but it's always interesting to learn about them.

Hold on a second:

quote:

Moose was taken from Algonquian, a Native American language family, and was not changed much when it was adopted in the 1600s

What word did they use to describe moose before settling on moose?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

Hold on a second:

What word did they use to describe moose before settling on moose?
"Elk"

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

IIRC, England hasn't had a native moose population for millennia, but used to call them "elk". When they got to the US, they called the first big deer-family animal they ran into "elk", and only moved into moose territory later. By the time they realized that the old-world elk was actually around in the Americas, and different from the first one, it was a bit late to change what they called that other species.

Which is confusing if you're from a country that has native elk moose and the native name is something like "elk". :norway:

As for what they called it, I suspect they had a period of "no, the other elk"?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Acquiring a jar funnel seems like less work than cleaning up the inevitable mess before you get it right.

Depends on the kitchen manager. I'd say half, perhaps more, would go "Hmm, half the kitchen staff don't need it and I'd have to pay for it and someone would likely break it. Why do I need to get a set of these again? The other half of the kitchen staff should either nut up and learn the trick or ask the first half to do it for them."

Computer viking posted:

IIRC, England hasn't had a native moose population for millennia, but used to call them "elk". When they got to the US, they called the first big deer-family animal they ran into "elk", and only moved into moose territory later. By the time they realized that the old-world elk was actually around in the Americas, and different from the first one, it was a bit late to change what they called that other species.

Which is confusing if you're from a country that has native elk moose and the native name is something like "elk". :norway:

I mean I feel other names often involved "Destroyer of gardens" and "Dinner". Though that latter one probably was used to describe 99% of American wildlife at some point. Yanno, just about everything besides skunks.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Dec 3, 2022

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

Computer viking posted:

Probably compass related. "Northern elk or Southern elk?"

Is the plural of moose meeses?

I've heard a group of meeses is called a "goddamn, loving hairy sonofabitch!"

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Alkydere posted:

Depends on the kitchen manager. I'd say half, perhaps more, would go "Hmm, half the kitchen staff don't need it and I'd have to pay for it and someone would likely break it. Why do I need to get a set of these again? The other half of the kitchen staff should either nut up and learn the trick or ask the first half to do it for them."

One of the sports bars I worked at kept those thin, flexible cutting board sheets around for this kinda thing, to make a roll up funnel. They sucked absolute rear end to cut on, though.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

things fitting perfectly into other things

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rm5f95a8BX1s1ddrj_720.mp4

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rm3jpfeSs61s1ddrj.mp4

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

During covid all the restaurants were carry out only so at lunch time me and about 50 contractors would be eating our various lunches In our cars/worktrucks/workvans would sit in the strip mall parking lot and the crows quickly figured it out so there would be a million of them running around trying to get some food as we were all bored and found it entertaining to throw bits of bread and poo poo our to them and watch them squabble. I befriended this big bastard and would give him large chunks in hopes he would do the classic crow thing and bring me a silver ring as they are known to do. But alas to no avail. Crows are fuckimg heart breakers for real.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

They'll murder you.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Phanatic posted:

They'll murder you.

There's a shopping center near me with a resident group of black vultures. There's like ten of them that all hang out together, watching cars go by and picking at trash and roadkill.

If a group of crows is a murder, what do you call a group of scavengers several times the size? A genocide?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There's a shopping center near me with a resident group of black vultures. There's like ten of them that all hang out together, watching cars go by and picking at trash and roadkill.

If a group of crows is a murder, what do you call a group of scavengers several times the size? A genocide?

A statistic.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

emSparkly posted:

Swans are mean motherfuckers. Don't even try it. Keep your kids away.

What is teethless may never bite.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

quote:

Testing of a new refractory building material. New Haven, 1949

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

And the material's name was Asbestos.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

How much of that photo is asbestos?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Looks fine to me

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Cthulu Carl posted:

I think it's just a standard emulsion print.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cthulu Carl posted:

yes

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Same.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Asbestos really is pretty great stuff. Aside from the one, you know, thing.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If we could keep a perfect inventory of where all the asbestos is contained and perfectly prevent any purposeful or accidental damage we could basically fireproof the world.

Also we could administrate perfectly fair world peace but then, you know, human's are involved so :shrug:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Can they make an asbestos that doesn't cause cancer.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
They can't even make a drug for cancer that doesn't cause cancer.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

Hollismason posted:

Can they make an asbestos that doesn't cause cancer.

That's the thing, nobody "makes" it, it's mined as a mineral.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

NoWake posted:

That's the thing, nobody "makes" it, it's mined as a mineral.
Ok, but what if they mined a little deeper? Maybe they'd find the cancer free asbestos?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Uh excuse me, God could make a cancer free asbestos if he really wanted to

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a road on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. The first truck sank into the swamp. So I drove a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I drove a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the last truck in all of England.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Captain Hygiene posted:

Uh excuse me, God could make a cancer free asbestos if he really wanted to

Wouldn't it be great if asbestos were made of crabs instead of causing death through terrible disease? Maybe the guys at the asbestos factory just messed up the instructions.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

I'm the weak looking steel plate behind the cab to personal injury from sudden stops

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mozi posted:

All of the most miraculous chemicals eventually turn out to be horribly dangerous. It's a bummer.

e: except maybe penicillin. That one's just universally awesome

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Harry_Potato posted:

When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a road on a swamp, but I built in all the same, just to show them. The first truck sank into the swamp. So I drove a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I drove a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that's what you're going to get, Lad, the last truck in all of England.

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Mozi posted:

That's why it's still use! EPA only banned certain uses, the phase out was mostly "voluntary". Cause the suits were coming fast and large.

Less common now, but brake pads and clutches can still legally use it. Only phased out by US manufacturers in the 90s voluntarilly. It's not uncommon in imported pads, hence CA doing their own ban.

A lot of industrial uses still too. Imports still measured in hundreds of metric tons.