Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Powered Descent posted:

I officially have NO idea what is going on in Gil Thorp. At first I thought it was because we were coming in in the middle of a story and I didn't know who the characters were, but it's more than that. Every strip is just a random fragment. It might fit into a larger picture, but it makes no sense on its own. And there's no larger picture. Occasionally a run of these fragments will appear to come from the same event, like the school shooting rehearsal (I think?) or a particular football game, but even then, nothing hangs together and I'm just lost. I actually went back over the past few weeks of strips to see if they make more sense when read back-to-back, but nope.

Even Mark Trail, for all its storytelling faults, at least has a plot that can mostly be followed and some characters that you know who the hell they are.

right now gil thorp is doing a special training with his football team by voluntelling them to work in a soup kitchen to get them working as a team in a fresh way to open up new thinking; he is doing this because the next game coming up is against a team that absolutely demolished Thorp a while ago but the coach holds a grudge because the newspaper painted that season end as Thorp holding strong, which is complicated by the fact that the rival coach's son (who is the quarterback for that team) has a crush on Keri, gil thorp's kid who is nonbinary and plays for the volleyball team (and seems to have a budding crush on tobias, the trans kid)

keri is currently showing fairly strong symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder from the school shooting drill where they panicked so hard their dad (coach thorp) had to take them home; they went to a concert with their friends to try and relax and had a panic attack from the drums because it reminded them of the gunshots, they've been having trouble sleeping (even falling asleep in class), and when a bunch of kids mocked them for being a crybaby and having to go home early they straight up decked one of them in front of a memorial for a student who died of drug overdose so they've been grounded and told to see a counselor; immediately following this keri also twisted their ankle during a game, so they've being benched from the volleyball team and given a prescription for painkillers which im sure is just fine and not gonna exacerbate her situation

its honestly really really straightforward

whats tripping us up here is that this is being drip-fed one day at a time with a lot of cutting between locations with only a small text box mentioning this on the first day, cutting to a montage that has a flashback inside it, and then cutting to a week earlier to follow a different character for a bit, and also having to fit a couple of major holidays and sparkyday into the schedule, and then having a pseudoflashback to the flashback that was in the montage a few weeks prior by actually playing a tape of the game that thorp lost back in the day

ellie the beep fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 2, 2022

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

OK I definitely want the elephant to end the next storyline.

Mary Worth

She is absolutely going to look just like Iris.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

YOU'LL WILL RUE THE DAY

Andertoons

Apartment 3=G

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days
That’s the end of the book, so here’s a little Uramachi Sakaba Cinematic Universe post-credits scene:

(The stuff at the bottom of the second page is “thanks for reading, Uramachi Sakaba e-book now on sale,” that kind of thing.)
I’m not quite sure what Maruoka is working on at the moment, but I have some Uramachi Sakaba zine stuff and a short about the antique collector to keep us busy while we wait.
:china:

Register Cat

Cthulhu and Girl

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

L-Innsikt

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

ellie the beep posted:

right now gil thorp is doing a special training with his football team by voluntelling them to work in a soup kitchen to get them working as a team in a fresh way to open up new thinking; he is doing this because the next game coming up is against a team that absolutely demolished Thorp a while ago but the coach holds a grudge because the newspaper painted that season end as Thorp holding strong, which is complicated by the fact that the rival coach's son (who is the quarterback for that team) has a crush on Keri, gil thorp's kid who is nonbinary and plays for the volleyball team (and seems to have a budding crush on tobias, the trans kid)

keri is currently showing fairly strong symptoms of post traumatic stress disorder from the school shooting drill where they panicked so hard their dad (coach thorp) had to take them home; they went to a concert with their friends to try and relax and had a panic attack from the drums because it reminded them of the gunshots, they've been having trouble sleeping (even falling asleep in class), and when a bunch of kids mocked them for being a crybaby and having to go home early they straight up decked one of them in front of a memorial for a student who died of drug overdose so they've been grounded and told to see a counselor; immediately following this keri also twisted their ankle during a game, so they've being benched from the volleyball team and given a prescription for painkillers which im sure is just fine and not gonna exacerbate her situation

That... actually clears it up pretty well. There are still a few pieces that don't seem to fit anywhere (like that one strip where some people are playing D&D?) but I think I at least get the basic framework now. Thanks.

ellie the beep posted:

whats tripping us up here is that this is being drip-fed one day at a time with a lot of cutting between locations with only a small text box mentioning this on the first day, cutting to a montage that has a flashback inside it, and then cutting to a week earlier to follow a different character for a bit, and also having to fit a couple of major holidays and sparkyday into the schedule, and then having a pseudoflashback to the flashback that was in the montage a few weeks prior by actually playing a tape of the game that thorp lost back in the day

:psyduck: Is it always structured like that or did we happen to pick up the strip at a particularly weird time?

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Powered Descent posted:

That... actually clears it up pretty well. There are still a few pieces that don't seem to fit anywhere (like that one strip where some people are playing D&D?) but I think I at least get the basic framework now. Thanks.

:psyduck: Is it always structured like that or did we happen to pick up the strip at a particularly weird time?

no idea! ive always skipped over it; i just caught up on the last eight weeks because i was annoyed by your complaining :v:

tho tbf now that ive caught up im kind of looking forward to it from now on

also the d&d night was at the rival coach's house, part of a sequence showing where everyone was that night (keri at the concert, the other kid over at d&d night, thorp and his wife having a quiet confrontation about the fragile status of their marriage)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Years ago in an earlier thread I made a joke about an inscrutable post-human society reviving Les Moore from the dead in order to enshrine him as a beloved icon for writing Lisa's Story and he's the last baseline human in a patient and understanding world that's moved on and I'm amazed that I threw that out there as a joke and it turns out I kind of hit a dart board with it.

Undercover Boss Is A loving Horrible Show That's Just Corporate Propaganda But What If We Added Race-Faking To The Mix?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Old School Peanuts (Dec 18, 1953)

Calvin and Hobbes (Aug 24-25, 1992)

Big Nate

Blind Alley

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

We picked it up not long after it got a new writer. I think he wrote for comic books before this, so maybe he's not used to how comic strips need to be paced. As far as I can tell, Gil Thorp has always had weird pacing issues, but I think this everything everywhere all at once approach is unique to Barajas.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The octopus is milking the cows, who are sentient. In this world, this is their job. They get up in the morning and leave their homes and their families go to a place where they are milked. This is what Holbrook has wrought.

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 3, 2022

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Crabgrass is so goddamn good.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Short stack for tonight...

Out Our Way (June 24-26, 1940)

Our Boarding House (February 15-17, 1923)

And on the same page with the 16th, one of my favorite early OOWs.

Dok's Dippy Caldera (June 20, 1914)

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

As mentioned it did just get a new writer but no, I think Gil Thorp has always been really fragmentary like this? For as long as I've been trying and failing to read it its strips have always been structured as flashes, brief moments in time, with little obvious flow from one strip to the next - like you're only seeing one strip out of every five or so. I think it's a really interesting way of writing but it's incredibly difficult to follow unless you're really into the strip.

thisusedyet
Feb 14, 2012

My post... it sucks!!!

EasyEW posted:

Our Boarding House (February 15-17, 1923)

Did you edit these, or is it really Prince Bootleg Bourbon in reverse?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

thisusedyet posted:

Did you edit these, or is it really Prince Bootleg Bourbon in reverse?
Yeah I got that too. Think maybe it's full of bourbon? The Major's known to imbibe on occasion.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Guessing it was meant to smuggle a few gallons.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

EasyEW posted:

And on the same page with the 16th, one of my favorite early OOWs.

I can see why it is!

Anyways, in today's Blueberry: Blueberry and Campbell's conversation gets rudely interrupted, or Where's Phoenix Wright when you need him?!, or Watch out, Mike - he's very... slowly... about... to... pull that trigger!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1980 comics

Locher Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Legends in the Heights

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Classic Arlo and Janis (December 30, 2000)

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

YOU'LL WILL RUE THE DAY

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

The Demons of Baseball

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Giant Ethicist posted:

Haraiso Days
That’s the end of the book, so here’s a little Uramachi Sakaba Cinematic Universe post-credits scene:

(The stuff at the bottom of the second page is “thanks for reading, Uramachi Sakaba e-book now on sale,” that kind of thing.)
I’m not quite sure what Maruoka is working on at the moment, but I have some Uramachi Sakaba zine stuff and a short about the antique collector to keep us busy while we wait.

I'm putting together a bar. :hai:

Have you heard of... the Uramachi Sakaba Initiative?

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 1, 1954)

:china: 1/3
:china: 2/3
:china: 3/3

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Locher Tracy

The isolation of rural communities often attracts big-city criminals. The bigness of big cities produces big-city criminals. Everywhere is big-city criminals. How many of these things were less 'crimestoppers' and more 'quiet but incessant nudge towards paranoia'?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Lots of them.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Look if you didn't want the cat to take your frontman job maybe you shouldn't have named him after Eric Clapton. And also on general principles.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Pancho Jueves
Aug 20, 2007

BEST FRIENDS!!

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Holbrook needs to start drawing both of them in sunglasses. How do you gently caress up eyes that bad??

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

The Creeps

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

Alt

...I don't get the reference.

The Family Circus

Alt

(Original, Alt-hosted original)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

And what about May?

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 12/2/02

Stephen Collins

Brenda Starr 12/12-14/49

Smokey Stover 7/29/51

Everyday Movies 11/5/35

"I tell you guys what -- let's chip in and take some dame down to a movie tomorrow night."

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Powered Descent posted:

Bizarro

Alt

...I don't get the reference.

Thank God It's Frida.(y)

Late in their marriage, Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera had marital issues but reconciled.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Strontium posted:

Daddy Daze

This is "the children speak like adults" taken to it's lowest ebb.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Alt

I did a double-take because it really looked like that guy was flipping the bird to the entire congregation for a split second.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Drakyn posted:

The isolation of rural communities often attracts big-city criminals. The bigness of big cities produces big-city criminals. Everywhere is big-city criminals. How many of these things were less 'crimestoppers' and more 'quiet but incessant nudge towards paranoia'?
I was kind of annoyed that it implies crime does not happen in rural communities unless big city criminals are coming around.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

I'm seeing double here! Four Irises!

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Mud's heel turn is disturbing. He was a cool laid back dude and now he's all "You'll regret this, loser!"

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Realizing with slowly building horror that we are seeing the same events in Phantom for the 3rd or 4th time. :stare:

Murdstone posted:

Rex Morgan MD

Mud's heel turn is disturbing. He was a cool laid back dude and now he's all "You'll regret this, loser!"

Truck probably should've led with warning about this side of Mud instead of being passive aggressive.

Can only hope Wanda smashes a diner pie in Mud's face for the storyline conclusion.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I'm seeing double here! Four Irises!

Yes... ha ha ha... YES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I read "former babysitter" as "forever babysitter" like in the cutesy pet video "forever home"