Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the boat physics are the most fun part of the game next to building stuff, it really feels like you're cresting waves. i kind of want more extreme hurricanes at sea, and more things to harpoon and drag aboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the sea is in great shape, I'm not sure what you'd add (beyond some better shore-water interaction but that's probably not worth the effort)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

For the people who enjoy fishing, is taking a boat out and fishing there in deeper water more viable?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah the sea is in great shape, I'm not sure what you'd add (beyond some better shore-water interaction but that's probably not worth the effort)

I still have seen maybe two serpents. A little more stuff closer to the shore maybe would be nice. More/better fish further out. Rivers.

The sea itself looks and feels loving amazing though

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

I still have seen maybe two serpents.

Go out to sea at night, and especially during a storm.

Washin Tong
Feb 16, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

For the people who enjoy fishing, is taking a boat out and fishing there in deeper water more viable?

Yes, there are fish out in the deep sea now (and serpents lurking around their spots, sometimes). I haven't gotten any yet tough, because each biome's fish require different baits now and none of the fuckers like Haldor's dollar store worms.

Oh by the way, small surprising detail about high seas fishing: pufferfish will poison you if they happen to jump into your boat and touch you. If you sail around without eating that poison can totally kill you so watch out.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Two chests of surtling cores and 3 sightings of rancid remains, no trophies :(

How the gently caress does a tick kill me in one hit with 200+ health

Jusupov fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Dec 3, 2022

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Jusupov posted:

Two chests of surtling cores and 3 sightings of rancid remains, no trophies :(

How the gently caress does a tick kill me in one hit with 200+ health

You were naked weren't ya

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Maybe it was a 2 star tick?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
When I had My Cascade of failure after a while I ran out of backup armor sets and the regular tics will kill you in like 2 seconds if you don't have poo poo on.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
It was 1 star tick and I had the speedy set on. The new armor sets require stupid amounts of mist adventures to build so haven't upgraded yet

Towers have anywhere from 0 to 17 of the new things required for them and so far it seems to have favored the absolute low end

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Mistlands was really easy when I was wearing root armor and focusing on nothing but cheese - kiting enemies into each other, sniper perchs etc

Geared up to padded but with mountain tier food, took a run at stealing dverger stuff, got exploded instantly. Spent half an hour trying to sneak my stuff back out, failed, eventually just kept kiting seeker soldiers over and they finally whittled the mages down.

Pulled all my stuff out ,went back to o clean up the tower, and immediately ate poo poo to a 1 star seeker and I think a 2 star seeker that got me from behind midfight. I could also hear a gjall that had never been around before.

I was going to build a fort there because it was an uncovered by mist spot , but I think I needed to keep the dverger alive to manage spawns. Ugh.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Dec 3, 2022

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

mastershakeman posted:

I was going to build a fort there because it was an uncovered by mist spot , but I think I needed to keep the dverger alive to manage spawns. Ugh.

I think it's tied to destroying the ward. Seems to always spawn the gjall and others right behind you when you destroy it and move around a bit

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Is there some trick to fighting seekers that I'm just not getting? I have died in Mistlands far more often and much more frequently than anywhere else in the game, even Plains when I was just starting out there. All the bugs seem insanely tanky, especially the warriors. I just lost basically all my poo poo beyond recovery because one killed me in the rear end-end of nowhere before I had a chance to set up a portal, and this was with decent food, full padded armor and that giant 2-hander they just added in. I hear they're supposed to be weaker to elemental attacks but even that doesn't seem to matter much when I tried using fire arrows on them.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Soldiers can't fly, so just get above then and shoot 50 arrows. They take minimal damage from fire arrows but it works

Im sure with max gear you can fight them straight up, bait their attack and hit their butt. I've lured them to other enemies and hit their backside when they are animation locked, it's just risky.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I hear they're supposed to be weaker to elemental attacks but even that doesn't seem to matter much when I tried using fire arrows on them.

The dwarf mages seem to absolutely wreck them with their attacks

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Qubee posted:

This is one of those games where I really don't know whether I should wait for release or play now. I played a bunch during launch, but I only completed the 2nd boss. I haven't touched the game since then and have been holding off and telling myself I'll play it at launch. But for some reason, the devs move at a glacial pace and updates come out sporadically (Mistlands came out almost two years after launch, I don't know what other meaningful updates there have been).

I really loved the time I played Valheim, the atmosphere, the fighting, the coop. But I don't want to burn myself out on it and rob myself of future fun. Also, since we're on the topic of meaningless grind, I absolutely hated how awful it was playing with friends and all of us needing to spend hours just to grind materials so we were all at the same level. It basically turned the game from a fun coop into a "alright I might as well go off on my own since we're all competing for the same mats" vibe.

why would people need to farm so much to get to the same level? The level of your crafting stations determine 90% of your "level." The only individualized stuff you need is your own gear.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Tool and weapon upgrades are pretty loving expensive in terms of metal. It's debatable whether you should even bother doing the 3rd and 4th levels mind you, it's not like "everyone has T4 weapons and armor" should be a requirement for anything.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
That's one big QoL idea they really should put in- successive levels of workbenches/forges should make previous equipment costs increasingly cheap, I think. Makes things a lot nicer when you're palling around with several friends and don't want to grind in the swamps forever.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019
Quick question about mods.

I have valheim plus and the mod that adds slots for armor installed and expanded the size of chests with it. Will i lose stuff if the mod doesnt work whenever the the new content goes live?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ZombieCrew posted:

Quick question about mods.

I have valheim plus and the mod that adds slots for armor installed and expanded the size of chests with it. Will i lose stuff if the mod doesnt work whenever the the new content goes live?

I think so. Those extra armor slots are not native, so the game won't know to pull them out and put them in your bag.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

why would people need to farm so much to get to the same level? The level of your crafting stations determine 90% of your "level." The only individualized stuff you need is your own gear.

All I remember is my group of four eventually split and went off in different directions to get the materials needed for gear / weapons, because it was becoming an absolute slog. 4 people all hunting the same items and the mobs that spawn them are relatively sparse, we were all getting frustrated running about and barely seeing any and then having to divvy it out four-ways.

A coop game shouldn't encourage going off on your own. A few people even grumbled about how "for the past hour we've all just been grinding solo, this isn't fun". But the alternative was to continue progressing whilst leaving a few people behind in terms of gear and equipment, which they would then have to get on their own time as the rest of the party was moving to a different zone.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I opted to just give myself another row of inventory to handle the lack of paper doll. Much less likely to ever have a mod related incident.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
When I swapped off the quickslots for armor and turned it back on the armor was still there so don't worry too much.

Worst case scenario, go into singleplayer and make yourself replacement gear in 2 seconds and return to fix any issues.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Qubee posted:

All I remember is my group of four eventually split and went off in different directions to get the materials needed for gear / weapons, because it was becoming an absolute slog. 4 people all hunting the same items and the mobs that spawn them are relatively sparse, we were all getting frustrated running about and barely seeing any and then having to divvy it out four-ways.

A coop game shouldn't encourage going off on your own. A few people even grumbled about how "for the past hour we've all just been grinding solo, this isn't fun". But the alternative was to continue progressing whilst leaving a few people behind in terms of gear and equipment, which they would then have to get on their own time as the rest of the party was moving to a different zone.

Yeah this part is not great. Like with the swamp there's an honest to god economy of scale where you can clear a lot of crypts faster if people are working together on a task, but with stuff like the ice caves they just don't yield enough mats to make that viable.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
What triggers fuling spawns in black forest? Seems to spawn packs of three in all of them during the night. It's not happening exclusively but one of them had four packs during one night

Jusupov fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 5, 2022

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
You've beaten yagluth and put his head on the stone. That's when fulings show up wherever.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Unless it's changed recently, it's more just "beaten Yagluth". A given boss dying for the first time is the trigger for most changes to base raids and nighttime spawns. Conversely, if a boss's drops mysteriously make their way into your inventory without the boss dying in the current world (such as console commands or, more benignly, world-hopping), you get the benefits of the boss dying without the difficulty-spike drawbacks.

I've known a few folks where the main gameplay happens in one world, but then the progression-minded players hop into another world to knock off a boss without making things more dangerous for the base-building homebodies. This does, of course, depend on everyone being on the same page, because it only takes one person derping and killing a boss in the main world to screw it up.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I love the Skeleton Surprise. Definitely my favourite seige.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah this part is not great. Like with the swamp there's an honest to god economy of scale where you can clear a lot of crypts faster if people are working together on a task, but with stuff like the ice caves they just don't yield enough mats to make that viable.

Some slight increase in materials harvested per person on the server or within a certain radius of each other might be nice. The difficulty scales with player count, and with players there already is some pseudo-scaling (you don't need to make a workstation per player, and not every player needs a harvesting tool if you decide to split up tasks) but for a lot of things the exploration time and set-up time is a lot worse for rarer materials.

And, the things that make having multiple people actually more efficient than solo play is that you can separate and perform multiple tasks simultaneously. Which, sure, it's cool to have a few people go on a long exploring voyage and come back to a neat upgraded fort your friends made in the meantime, but if you want to actually do the same thing as someone at the same time, especially together, it loses both that advantage and is in some ways worse than solo play for harvesting/"grinding" time.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 5, 2022

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

which mats require this? I have only ever played with other people, i have never even made a solo server for myself. and we got to the endgame multiple times without anything i would consider grinding. Is this like having to find deer for everyone's leather armor? we all just kill every deer on sight and bring the mats back for everyone. Or kill the drakes until we all have the helmets and whatnot. is the idea that going off on solo adventures counts as "grinding?"

To be fair we have normally stopped just after or just before yagluth so maybe its really late game stuff?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Coming back to this game for the first time in about a year and while I love many of the additions, the Ice Caves are super underwhelming. The look and "feel" is great but it seems like with all the money this company has to spend on content, mostly empty snow tunnels with basically non-existent loot is a big letdown. The bats drop loving leather scraps? lol wow

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I must be playing differently or expecting different things, because my wife and I regularly play with another couple, and we're always great for resources. We're almost to padded armour and then we're all set :shrug:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

WoodrowSkillson posted:

which mats require this? I have only ever played with other people, i have never even made a solo server for myself. and we got to the endgame multiple times without anything i would consider grinding. Is this like having to find deer for everyone's leather armor? we all just kill every deer on sight and bring the mats back for everyone. Or kill the drakes until we all have the helmets and whatnot. is the idea that going off on solo adventures counts as "grinding?"

To be fair we have normally stopped just after or just before yagluth so maybe its really late game stuff?

The Ice caves that were introduced recently are the only really bad one I think, since the Fenris Hair or whatever is only there and mobs seem not to drop it?

Also I remember there being a shortage of Troll Hide in the very beginning when we first played but that ended the moment we figured out how to make Bronze and Atgeirs

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yeah leather and troll armour I can kinda understand but anything ore/mining related is much faster with a coordinated team effort.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

yeah some things are hard but the struggle is part of the fun. What i really like about valheim is it rewards multiple styles of play if you have a group. Some people love just going on huge exploration trips and comes back loaded with rare mats. others spend a ton of time designing cool buildings., others optimize the ore processing or farm. Its fun logging on to find your friend gathered a poo poo ton of troll hide or built a road to the black forest to make getting ore easier.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
The new resource in mistlands requires you to clear multiple mistland areas to get one set, and you can't see very far anyway

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Does the wishbone work in the mists?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Mistlands has me fully tilted

I cannot find an infested mine for cores. Heck, had to look up what I was missing since once I got sap I'm like uh why can't I make anything cool, exploring fast just gets me aggroed by multiple enemies and killed since half my stamina is used jumping on stupid slopes

Maybe I need to just go insane on stamina food and the new mead but man I'm frustrated. I haven't seen a single ice cave this playthrough or I'd be using that armor and just running from fights

Edit yes gently caress the gjall. At least they're noisy

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yeah Mistlands is rough. The other biomes were challenging to break but it still felt like you were progressing as long as you could snag some mats. But the fact that the good Mistlands poo poo requires you to delve into those infested mines for black cores and even just getting there can be an ordeal has me lowering the difficulty through the console. Also gently caress the blimps