Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Sweden extradites convicted PKK member to Turkey

Mahmut Tat was sentenced to six years and 10 months in jail for PKK membership in Turkey. He then fled to Sweden in 2015, but his asylum request was rejected.

That's one of the 33 PKK members in Sweden and Finland Turkey wants before signing off on their membership to NATO now in Turkish custody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/gchahal/status/1598604115608997888

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/Podolyak_M/status/1599007074943279104

My shirt with "Thousands dead for no strategic importance" on it is raising a lot of questions already answered by my shirt.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/AZgeopolitics/status/1599053101868011520

https://twitter.com/AZgeopolitics/status/1599053216376684544

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
IAEA’s latest release on measures to secure power to nuclear cooling systems in Ukraine and Russian-held territory a bit more optimistic. There are concerns about Russia attacking the energy grid that supplies power to Ukrainian NPPs, but not really sounding the alarm. Rather, they are finding that backup has so far worked as intended and around ZNPP, repairs to backups are underway.

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/pressreleases/update-134-iaea-director-general-statement-on-situation-in-ukraine

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

We’ve talked before about the state of Western Militaries, with the social contract being broken, erosion of benefits, stagnant pay, abuse and harassment and general low morale. The CAF is 10k pers short with no signs of that changing.

Well I want to point out that liberalism cannot offer solutions to the problems it creates. An article came out that I spent my entire day in meetings about with more to come: The Canadian Armed Forces are heading for a Titanic collapse

Now I want to preface that I agree with nearly all of the problems. The solutions, to turn the military into essentially a private sector corporate job with no tradition and esprit de corps, to me illustrate the alienating nature of liberalism. It’s not about inspiring belief or belonging or giving something soldiers to die for and instead trying to obfuscate that as much as possible and turn the military into a job - the implicit part is that no meaning can be expected from it, no duty or purpose, and in exchange the state will offer nothing more than a paycheque:

“Marching in lines, stamping feet on parade grounds and keeping with traditional uniforms – these should also be done away with. These rituals are simply not relevant to the citizens who must make up the force of the future; they reflect the reality that Canada’s military is stuck in the past.”

“Nobody wants to work in an old, tired organization that draws its culture and values from a museum; people want to be part of an agile organization that rewards modern values. The Canadian Armed Forces needs to abandon its sternward perspective on legacy force structure and missions – or it won’t be able to bail out the sinking ship.”

Without getting into the deep body of literature on the subject, close order drill, marching, uniforms, these all have a social purpose, and my theory here is that because liberalism doesn’t conceive of things socially but individually they see harebrained schemes like this as a solution to endemic problems instead of a further erosion of what soldiering means. Deep, felt, social, meaning is something disappearing from all areas of our society but again going back to the Egyptian Old Kingdom, militaries need these things to function.

I’m curious what the feeling is here because people on the left have observed this cultural shift, with the officer corps becoming more like a corporate PMC and enlisted Operator Culture becoming more about individual advancement and a sort of professional athlete ethos. I get why the initial reaction from left leaning people is “who cares?” and “marching is dumb”, but my point is that if liberalisms alienating impulses and disconnection from social meaning have penetrated to something so essential as the functioning of the state - in preference to the basic social contract of improving material conditions: pay, benefits, housing, education, pensions, an end to workplace abuse - this line of thinking permeates all levels of decision making.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Frosted Flake posted:

We’ve talked before about the state of Western Militaries, with the social contract being broken, erosion of benefits, stagnant pay, abuse and harassment and general low morale. The CAF is 10k pers short with no signs of that changing.

Well I want to point out that liberalism cannot offer solutions to the problems it creates. An article came out that I spent my entire day in meetings about with more to come: The Canadian Armed Forces are heading for a Titanic collapse

Now I want to preface that I agree with nearly all of the problems. The solutions, to turn the military into essentially a private sector corporate job with no tradition and esprit de corps, to me illustrate the alienating nature of liberalism. It’s not about inspiring belief or belonging or giving something soldiers to die for and instead trying to obfuscate that as much as possible and turn the military into a job - the implicit part is that no meaning can be expected from it, no duty or purpose, and in exchange the state will offer nothing more than a paycheque:

“Marching in lines, stamping feet on parade grounds and keeping with traditional uniforms – these should also be done away with. These rituals are simply not relevant to the citizens who must make up the force of the future; they reflect the reality that Canada’s military is stuck in the past.”

“Nobody wants to work in an old, tired organization that draws its culture and values from a museum; people want to be part of an agile organization that rewards modern values. The Canadian Armed Forces needs to abandon its sternward perspective on legacy force structure and missions – or it won’t be able to bail out the sinking ship.”

Without getting into the deep body of literature on the subject, close order drill, marching, uniforms, these all have a social purpose, and my theory here is that because liberalism doesn’t conceive of things socially but individually they see harebrained schemes like this as a solution to endemic problems instead of a further erosion of what soldiering means. Deep, felt, social, meaning is something disappearing from all areas of our society but again going back to the Egyptian Old Kingdom, militaries need these things to function.

I’m curious what the feeling is here because people on the left have observed this cultural shift, with the officer corps becoming more like a corporate PMC and enlisted Operator Culture becoming more about individual advancement and a sort of professional athlete ethos. I get why the initial reaction from left leaning people is “who cares?” and “marching is dumb”, but my point is that if liberalisms alienating impulses and disconnection from social meaning have penetrated to something so essential as the functioning of the state - in preference to the basic social contract of improving material conditions: pay, benefits, housing, education, pensions, an end to workplace abuse - this line of thinking permeates all levels of decision making.

i appreciate that you're that rarest of things, a sincere and serious social conservative in the year of 2022

this making you, basically, a kind of communist is also not lost on me

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://mobile.twitter.com/soren2point0/status/1598625946457686023

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
FF, that article had whole sections about improvements to pay and benefits and labor union benefits that you ignored cause you saw someone call marching old-fashioned.

That said: marching remains, in 2022 and beyond, the most efficient way to get hundreds/thousands of people into and out of various planes, trains, ships, warehouses, etc. But you can do a lot of that without spending days on end celebrating some officer changing command.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

don't worry im sure we can just gently caress around and pay some mercenaries to do the violence when it becomes an issue. just like the roman emperors. it worked out fine for them

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

ok

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Frosted Flake posted:

Calgary Highlanders merch shop incoming

Dukemont
Aug 17, 2005
chocolate microscopes
As a canadian I’ve only ever thought that our military was a joke.

We laughed at the dweeby recruiters in high school and i’ve never given it any serious thought since then :cheers:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

suddenly craving some shoigu ramen. I know what I'm doing for lunch today

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Majorian posted:

I think you need to keep in mind who’s writing the tweet in question. This isn’t someone who is publicly in favor of a green agenda that’s actually effective, and wants Russia clear out the Western European CIA-funded Green Parties for that purpose. It’s someone who works for a petrostate. She’s not against an ineffective green agenda; she’s against any green agenda, because she is paid to do so. Just like the spokespeople for the US government.

e: more to the point, if you want the real culprit behind the demise of the European green movement, look no further than cheap petroleum and natural gas prices.

Its an outside actor commenting on the wests indecision and division. It's very apparent that europe has committed vast economic sabotage at the americans behest. This probably still confuses some russians, that they don't understand exactly how much anti soviet/anti russian propaganda has completely infused the western perspective. Russias ruling class is the national bourgeois, same as europe and the US.

gently caress green politicians btw - we should all be building nuclear reactors.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Frosted Flake posted:

""War-Fighting" as a service".

Yeah, liberalism, neo-liberalism requires all things to get with the program. If they fully liberalised the military you could probably (upon retirement, keep the pension etc) start a consultancy firm, get a big contract, the contract would require you to do next to no work and be a millionaire within a year or two. Rent an office, do business calls, speak to civilian management, do lunch. Make more money, spend more money.

All of these sorts of changes, from privatised parking, sales of government land, to semi-state bodies and beyond are all designed to take the money out of the state and put it into the hands of the bourgeois where it belongs. neoliberalism is the process of carving meat from a carcass (the state) and eventually you'll run out of fat and lean meat and have to get into organs and gristle. That the state as an entity is held in such contempt by neo-liberals is no surprise. Why have your own army AND pay protection money to the US?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

When the gently caress did Japan manage colonize China again?

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Lostconfused posted:

When the gently caress did Japan manage colonize China again?

it was also the republic of china flag from the xinhai revolution to the northern expeditions
if they imagine the ccp collapses but taiwan remains independent then it is the only (republican) national flag left

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

If the liberal state wants to gut its own defensive mechanisms that's likely a good thing?

On the other hand, making a job which involves a relatively very high risk, sometimes even necessity, of dying into "just another job" doesn't bode well for how liberalism wants to deal with workplace safety in other jobs.

Orange Devil has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Dec 3, 2022

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

OhFunny posted:

Mahmut Tat was sentenced to six years and 10 months in jail for PKK membership in Turkey. He then fled to Sweden in 2015, but his asylum request was rejected.

That's one of the 33 PKK members in Sweden and Finland Turkey wants before signing off on their membership to NATO now in Turkish custody.

Once again, I’m shocked that the structures of a rules-based social democratic order that were promised to prevent this from happening did not prevent this from happening.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

Once again, I’m shocked that the structures of a rules-based social democratic order that were promised to prevent this from happening did not prevent this from happening.

sweden hungers for nato

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
The manchukuo flag had all the stripes except yellow, on a yellow background, because the yellow was supposed to represent Manchus in the early 20th century Chinese racial lexicon on the pre-KMT Republic of China flag and the restoration of the Manchu royal house was supposed to reverse that?

They must know their primary audience is a thread full of weirdos angling for the restoration of the dual monarchy and the kingdom of Bohemia or Sultanate of Zanzibar or whatever

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
their audience is Hearts of Iron 4 players like Rimmy Downunder.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Tankbuster posted:

their audience is Hearts of Iron 4 players like Rimmy Downunder.

Considering that NAFO is just a bunch of weirdos posting online, this is probably the most accurate answer.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

Its an outside actor commenting on the wests indecision and division. It's very apparent that europe has committed vast economic sabotage at the americans behest. This probably still confuses some russians, that they don't understand exactly how much anti soviet/anti russian propaganda has completely infused the western perspective. Russias ruling class is the national bourgeois, same as europe and the US.

gently caress green politicians btw - we should all be building nuclear reactors.

I understand, but I think the U.S.' role in hobbling Europe's nuclear energy programs is smaller than you're assuming. Germany's anti-nuclear energy movement started in earnest in the 70s, back when the U.S. had a lot of money invested in building new plants. Denuclearization was against U.S. economic interests up until recently. Accidents like Three-Mile Island and Chernobyl really sent it into overdrive. Siemens, which built all of Germany's reactors, fully exited the nuclear sector after Fukushima. I agree with you that Germany should have been building reactors this whole time, and that the public response to these accidents was incredibly stupid. But I'm sorry to say that it was a largely organic response. The German public has no one to blame but themselves.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
I saw this on Reddits front page
https://www.reuters.com/world/ukraine-war-shows-europe-too-reliant-us-finland-pm-says-2022-12-02/

After just reading the headline, I initially thought it was a sensible dose of reality with someone actually pushing back on the United States influence and control over the EU. But no, lol, it's just the fresh new progressive Scandinavian superstar politician requesting that EU nations grow their domestic MIC.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Majorian posted:

I understand, but I think the U.S.' role in hobbling Europe's nuclear energy programs is smaller than you're assuming. Germany's anti-nuclear energy movement started in earnest in the 70s, back when the U.S. had a lot of money invested in building new plants. Denuclearization was against U.S. economic interests up until recently. Accidents like Three-Mile Island and Chernobyl really sent it into overdrive. Siemens, which built all of Germany's reactors, fully exited the nuclear sector after Fukushima. I agree with you that Germany should have been building reactors this whole time, and that the public response to these accidents was incredibly stupid. But I'm sorry to say that it was a largely organic response. The German public has no one to blame but themselves.

Kindest Forums User posted:

I saw this on Reddits front page
https://www.reuters.com/world/ukraine-war-shows-europe-too-reliant-us-finland-pm-says-2022-12-02/

After just reading the headline, I initially thought it was a sensible dose of reality with someone actually pushing back on the United States influence and control over the EU. But no, lol, it's just the fresh new progressive Scandinavian superstar politician requesting that EU nations grow their domestic MIC.

the recent report about euros getting mad that the US is making money off the war was very funny

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Majorian posted:

The German public has no one to blame but themselves.

ah, german public opinion does it again

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

i say swears online posted:

the recent report about euros getting mad that the US is making money off the war was very funny

How DARE the Finnish PM that Westerners were lauding a couple days ago spread this Muscovite propaganda!:argh:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

euro types may not like it, but this is what peak joseph brandon victory looks like

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

OhFunny posted:

loving Nordic countries are such pathetic cucks. At least in the anglosphere were so bald faced about selling people out, that nobody expects anything different. But the second any of these EU nations are pressured by the US are their own domestic freaks, their image of being Champions of Human Rights goes into the toilet. Theyre supposed to be the moral superstars, but they're freaks just like us across the Atlantic, although the Europeans feel so much more pathetic.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

i say swears online posted:

You know, for a moment I thought the EU bureaucrats were morally disgusted with the Americans cynically capitalizing off the manufactured crisis. But I was the stupid naive cuck here. it's really just that isn't it, they're pissed they can't make money like the Americans

Flocons de Jambon
Apr 11, 2015
Canada needs to adopt East German style integration of the education system with military training. Kids need to be instructed how to field strip a C7 instead of getting high school credit for Yoga.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

list'n here jack, I'm soy-facin'!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

the Western Order weakens under them

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

Flocons de Jambon posted:

Canada needs to adopt East German style integration of the education system with military training. Kids need to be instructed how to field strip a C7 instead of getting high school credit for Yoga.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZoOEj--qmco

the illegal invasion of the German Democratic Republic by the fascist Bohn junta is a crime against humanity for a number of reasons, but also because it meant the end of the kinderpanzer program.

those poor tankie kids, deprived of their tanks

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m glad Canada is going to privatize their military, it will make it easier for us to just mush them into fertilizer when we need access to the newly arable land

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Majorian posted:

I'm sorry to say that it was a largely organic response. The German public has no one to blame but themselves.

Extemtky leftist thoughts going on here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

mawarannahr posted:

Extemtky leftist thoughts going on here

Yup, I'm looking at things through a materialist lens. Give it a shot, it's fun.:)