Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Tunicate posted:

but you get to play as ciri already?

Now give me an entire game of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They better make her play better than, getting teleport powers is not a good tradeoff for losing access to half the skills in the game.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I think Ciri is too powerful and too destined to be a good protagonist of games like these. She's the most important character in history, who brought people back from death(?) and beats the apocalypse single-handedly by virtue of having a good dad, can go anywhere and do anything. IMO she'd work much better as a mysterious plot device, not walking around and making various poo poo-covered peasants lives less miserable by hitting their problems with swords.

Skippy McPants posted:

Huh, that page says they were the first Witchers on a new continent. Setting a game on a different landmass would be a good way to make a clean break from Geralt and all his bullshit.

The new continent thing isn't fanfiction, in one of the books there's a bit about how the bank clerk giving Ciri a tour of [CITY NAME] before wizard school goes on to discover mysterious new lands in the future. That's as good a hook as any. They also keep trying to push all this Asian/Japan Witcher merchandise, that could be it too?

Hamhandler fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 2, 2022

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Hamhandler posted:

I think Ciri is too powerful and too destined to be a good protagonist of games like these.

Also, retconning one (or two) of the W3 endings in order to funnel the story over into a Ciri W4 would take away a lot from the previous game.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

mcbexx posted:

Also, retconning one (or two) of the W3 endings in order to funnel the story over into a Ciri W4 would take away a lot from the previous game.

Dragonbreak it, you are playing as ciri under a contract with ciri facing off sgainst monsterd and the forces of the dread cirian empire

Jimmy Noskill
Nov 5, 2010

In Rogue Mage, the guy who developed witchers was deeply troubled by the death of a female test subject and refused to perform further tests on women. I could see this as CDPR leaving the door open for female witchers. “Female witchers aren’t impossible, they just never continued that line of research!”

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Just have a separate method used. For the purposes of a video game it's a tiny change. "Oh yeah, those schools used X method, we use Y, it's an improvement. Would have made it over to them too if the locals had not gutted the place"

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Jimmy Noskill posted:

In Rogue Mage, the guy who developed witchers was deeply troubled by the death of a female test subject and refused to perform further tests on women. I could see this as CDPR leaving the door open for female witchers. “Female witchers aren’t impossible, they just never continued that line of research!”

Two schools [1] are specifically mentioned as having continued to tinker with the mutation process after the mages abandoned the project, the Cat and Viper schools, according to Lore from the Gwent game. There has been nothing in Gwent or the Pen and Paper RPG to specifically say that specific schools have succeeded in creating female Witchers, but nothing to specifically say those schools have not.

[2] If we are counting material from the RPG from RTalsorian games I should include the school of the Manticore.

quote:

The mutations of the Manticore school are founded on the same proccesses created by the Sorcerer Alzur so many years ago. However, they have undergone some slight changes as Iwan was not well versed in the mutation proccess and he was forced to reverse engineered it with the Zerrikanian Sorceress Nasira Faizan. Additional experiments were also attempted by Nasira and other Zerrikanian Mages aligning with their studies and culture. At one point an attempt was even made to apply the mutations to the acolytes of the famed warrior women of Zerrikania. These initial experiments were deemed inconclusive.

gently caress knows what "inconclusive" means when you are making Witchers or corpses, but there you have it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

How old is the "no girls allowed" canon (ie, when did Andrzej Sapkowski come up with it)? i feel like at this point the fallout from changing the rules so people can play as a woman would be less annoying than adhering to it at all costs, i say go for it

and/or let me be a sorceress, it looks fun

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Sorcerers seem kinda unplayable for the same reason that high-level spellcasters are kinda unplayable in D&D.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I don't think it's so much an established absolute canon. I mean maybe there is one line saying oh yeah, it wasn't tried on women / didn't work that we know of?

It didn't stop the wolf school feeding Ciri the usual pre mutation training diet of bizarre steroids until Triss bonked them on the head.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The wolf school was originally some rear end in a top hat who found a cave, probably a serial killer.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
In the same way that everyone thinks there’s a Witcher Code and then Geralt’s like “nah I made that up to have an excuse to get out of things” I can easily imagine the “girls can’t be Witchers” turns out to be “we didn’t generally want young girls being dropped off at a place with a hundred traumatized young men who aren’t sterile yet.”

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

And it's not like it would be the first time in history that a male-dominated profession shut out women simply because they just sort of assumed women wouldn't be up to it without ever actually checking

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As far as I can tell from the books, witchers were invented when they let magicians do experiments by trial and error, with a basically unlimited supply of orphan boys that no one would miss. I figure there are a lot more unwanted orphan boys than girls. (Some unofficial source from the RPG said that they also experimented on girls, but they all died.) So I think female witchers are possible, at least as long as you're willing to torture a few dozen girls to death to tweak the formula.

As I recall, Triss told the witchers to keep feeding Ciri a diet of witcher drugs because it would gently caress her up if she stopped at that point.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 2, 2022

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Hamhandler posted:

I think Ciri is too powerful and too destined to be a good protagonist of games like these. She's the most important character in history, who brought people back from death(?) and beats the apocalypse single-handedly by virtue of having a good dad, can go anywhere and do anything. IMO she'd work much better as a mysterious plot device, not walking around and making various poo poo-covered peasants lives less miserable by hitting their problems with swords.

i mean even making various peasant's lives less miserable she's still barely made a dent in overall karma after killing like hundreds of thousands of them via plague

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Lost princess of Cintra implicated in secret Conclave BIOWAR LABS???? You decide!

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
There being a new Witcher school in the announcement of the game does probably suggest that someone's going to have to figure out how to make them again. I think there's enough stuff there to do whatever you want for a player character. "oh hey we really needed more Witchers, turns out the guys who originally did it were amoral poo poo bags and we figured some stuff out reverse engineering it with a little heart and cameos from characters we all know and love"

I think the bad guys in the first game ended up mutating some woman, you got the Manticores, the Cats did elves, etc. Now we've got ladies, elves, elven ladies. Hell dwarves if they got the money to figure out the animation even.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Halloween Jack posted:

I figure there are a lot more unwanted orphan boys than girls.

I don't think that's true, iirc historically girls were more unwanted than boys. But I guess unwanted orphan girls could be taken by sorcerers (if they have magical talent) or maybe places like Melitele's temple, if they're lucky. If they're unlucky they probably just live on the street as beggars or become prostitutes or something

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Hamhandler posted:

There being a new Witcher school in the announcement of the game does probably suggest that someone's going to have to figure out how to make them again. I think there's enough stuff there to do whatever you want for a player character. "oh hey we really needed more Witchers, turns out the guys who originally did it were amoral poo poo bags and we figured some stuff out reverse engineering it with a little heart and cameos from characters we all know and love"

I think the bad guys in the first game ended up mutating some woman, you got the Manticores, the Cats did elves, etc. Now we've got ladies, elves, elven ladies. Hell dwarves if they got the money to figure out the animation even.

Or go waaaay back in time.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tunicate posted:

but you get to play as ciri already?

Ciri never done Trial of the Grasses so she's not actually a Witcher is she?

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

A new school experimenting with new ways to produce Witchers could be a cool way to diagetically involve the character creation process if they're planning on a more blank slate style main character for the next game. You could first choose your appearance like any other RPG, but then have a short prologue where you choose which potions or procedures or whatever that they're exposed to in order to determine your starting stats and abilities. Have brief little vignettes for each part of the process.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Are any of the people that were responsible for Witcher 3 being good still working at the company even?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Cyberpunk was good, so maybe?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

No

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Are any of the people that were responsible for Witcher 3 being good still working at the company even?

yes

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Recent reviews on Steam are very positive, would Steam reviews lie? Overall is mostly!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

cheesetriangles posted:

Recent reviews on Steam are very positive, would Steam reviews lie? Overall is mostly!

Based on Steam reviews Cyberpunk sits right in between...let's see...

KartKraft(tm) and Three Fairies' Hoppin' Flappin' Great Journey, which is...yeah, I suppose that's accurate.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Jack Trades posted:

Based on Steam reviews Cyberpunk sits right in between...let's see...

KartKraft(tm) and Three Fairies' Hoppin' Flappin' Great Journey, which is...yeah, I suppose that's accurate.

Now do it for recent reviews weighting.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

Cyberpunk I think was such that you can have hope that new games might be good, part based on what it did well and the cautionary tale element.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Case study in "wait for the patch" because I haven't had any problems with the game but I didn't purchase at launch either.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I was never really sure how much the Witcher mutations mattered to the witching process and how much was just being a good fighter who studied monsters a lot.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

SlothfulCobra posted:

I was never really sure how much the Witcher mutations mattered to the witching process and how much was just being a good fighter who studied monsters a lot.

Well, if we follow the lore accurate game Witcher 1, Leo dies like a dog because he cannot parry a bolt in flight unlike Geralt.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Big Bizness posted:

A new school experimenting with new ways to produce Witchers could be a cool way to diagetically involve the character creation process if they're planning on a more blank slate style main character for the next game. You could first choose your appearance like any other RPG, but then have a short prologue where you choose which potions or procedures or whatever that they're exposed to in order to determine your starting stats and abilities. Have brief little vignettes for each part of the process.

First chapter is a Bully / Fable 1 Academy section homage except you're a young witcher in training trying to not die and having hijinks with other orphans. The choices end up being your character creation for the rest of the game and also who your witcher buddies are.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

Case study in "wait for the patch" because I haven't had any problems with the game but I didn't purchase at launch either.

Did they patch the part where the game constantly pretends like it's an RPG with choices but none of your choices are ever acknowledged?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I really bought the game to play dress up if I'm being completely honest.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

sapkowski never worked at cdpr

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

cheesetriangles posted:

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough