Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Football or Football?
Real :911: Football
Fake-o Euro Soccer
View Results

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Reyna buddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
This team is not gonna do jack poo poo in 2026; I don't believe they would qualify if we weren't a host.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Wasnt really expecting the US issue to be the backline forgetting how to mark players on crosses

4 years to find a couple of centerbacks and a striker to go with the rest of this group

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Honestly that last goal looked nothing like the defense the USA showed in the group stage. I would’ve said that their strength against England and Iran was a solid back line and marking that never allowed for a free look at goal. Somehow everyone just like…short-circuited

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1599070845657399296?t=6g7e5Pbw8ezCpFWOPjxHUA&s=19

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Go home Gregg

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Aggro posted:

Honestly that last goal looked nothing like the defense the USA showed in the group stage. I would’ve said that their strength against England and Iran was a solid back line and marking that never allowed for a free look at goal. Somehow everyone just like…short-circuited

Robinson just didnt see him and i guess couldnt hear turner.

The core of the team is good but you're not getting far without a functional striker and playing a cb combo of walker zimmerman and tim ream (who had a good tournament but..)

Getting out of the group was nice at least

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Lol

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Are there any 15 year old wünderkind strikers we can nationalize?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

G-Hawk posted:

The core of the team is good but you're not getting far without a functional striker and playing a cb combo of walker zimmerman and tim ream (who had a good tournament but..)

Getting out of the group was nice at least

Ream is dead now, so that solves itself, but Zimmerman is bad, really bad.

Lack of a real striker has been the issue forever.

I didn't expect anything more than getting out of the group so it's good experience for a mostly young team.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Poor quality up top did them in once again, too bad

Jb quite cringe all the time

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Shrapnig posted:

Ream is dead now, so that solves itself, but Zimmerman is bad, really bad.

Lack of a real striker has been the issue forever.

I didn't expect anything more than getting out of the group so it's good experience for a mostly young team.

Pretty much. This was the foundational step one would want them to take, now kill the manager and find a striker

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Wasn’t a total humiliation but it wasn’t that far off either. the lack of a natural finisher made this tournament hard on us but the reason we lost the game was defensive errors. All three goals came from late runs into the box nobody tracked. Bummer

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

I think there is a decent chance one of our 20~ year old striker prospects come good but who knows really. I'm less worried about cb, our 2 best options were at home injured and more will come along. That midfield could be a monster come 26, and theres a lot more talent coming up.

Hopefully we can get into some version of copa america to play some competitive matches against anyone besides concacaf

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

I think now we can all agree it is called football

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

Carter Vickers>>>>>>>>>>Zimmerman

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion

surf rock posted:

This team is not gonna do jack poo poo in 2026; I don't believe they would qualify if we weren't a host.

lol even if we weren't hosting CONCACAF gets six spots, I don't believe you really believe this

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

t a s t e posted:

Jon is an elite poster, one of the best to ever do it, on par with getfiscal and dril

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

skasion posted:

Wasn’t a total humiliation but it wasn’t that far off either. the lack of a natural finisher made this tournament hard on us but the reason we lost the game was defensive errors. All three goals came from late runs into the box nobody tracked. Bummer
They were the second-youngest team at the World Cup after not even qualifying last time, and it wasn't like they were ranked in the top 10 or anything. Round of 16 was realistically as far as they were going to go.

Now watch some deranged American Outlaws member mail a revolver and one bullet to Berhalter and ask him to do the needful.

surf rock posted:

Are you loving high?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Crazy Ted posted:

Now watch some deranged American Outlaws member mail a revolver and one bullet to Berhalter and ask him to do the needful.

As if this hasn't happened twice already

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

bawfuls posted:

Jon is an elite poster, one of the best to ever do it, on par with getfiscal and dril

Don’s actually funny occasionally :twisted:

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

I didn’t think we would make it out of the group, but this 16 knock out game has really left a bad taste in my mouth. Greg has got to go.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

t a s t e posted:

He really is bad these days. Last funny thing he did was The Dugout, which has been completely scrubbed from the Internet because it would get him instantly cancelled

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Backdoor Delivery posted:

lol even if we weren't hosting CONCACAF gets six spots, I don't believe you really believe this

Listen I'm FRUSTRATED :smith:

I just don't understand why we can't get a striker with any sense of killer instinct in the box, or why we didn't do jack poo poo on eleventy billion corner kicks this tournament.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

surf rock posted:

I just don't understand why we can't get a striker with any sense of killer instinct in the box, or why we didn't do jack poo poo on eleventy billion corner kicks this tournament.

well the latter is because christian pulisic kept taking them and he is notably bad at set pieces. why he kept taking them is a better question

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

surf rock posted:

USMNT didn't even call up their best strikers for some weird reason. Not that they are good enough though.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

surf rock posted:

Set pieces overall seemed pretty unproductive this tournament, for all teams. Although idk what the actual ratio/stats are for open play vs set pieces

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

psyer posted:

USMNT didn't even call up their best strikers for some weird reason. Not that they are good enough though.

do you mean pepi or pefok or someone else? I would have brought at least one of them over haji but it was a bunch of bad choices. sargent would have done a better job than ferreira probably but not exactly a world beater either

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

G-Hawk posted:

do you mean pepi or pefok or someone else? I would have brought at least one of them over haji but it was a bunch of bad choices. sargent would have done a better job than ferreira probably but not exactly a world beater either

Pepi and Pefok are probably the best striker option they have for US. Sargent is good at the pressing, running around but terrible at finishing. I still do not know how Jordan Morris got called him when he was not doing anything for his club team besides being hurt recently.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

psyer posted:

Pepi and Pefok are probably the best striker option they have for US. Sargent is good at the pressing, running around but terrible at finishing. I still do not know how Jordan Morris got called him when he was not doing anything for his club team besides being hurt recently.

jordan morris is Big and Powerful or something. I do not have nearly as much of an issue with Berhalter as a lot of people but his loyalty to Morris has always been one of his most frustrating decisions.

we should have brought pepi but he was dogshit for a year and most of his goals lately are poo poo goals against poo poo teams so i somewhat get it. hopefully he turns out to be the real deal and the situation is different next cycle.

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Borsche69 posted:

Set pieces overall seemed pretty unproductive this tournament, for all teams. Although idk what the actual ratio/stats are for open play vs set pieces

Something like 1-2% of corners ever result in goals. More consistent delivery would have been helpful, but some people would have you believe that was our undoing rather than the Dutch having superior players and coaching.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

G-Hawk posted:

jordan morris is Big and Powerful or something. I do not have nearly as much of an issue with Berhalter as a lot of people but his loyalty to Morris has always been one of his most frustrating decisions.

we should have brought pepi but he was dogshit for a year and most of his goals lately are poo poo goals against poo poo teams so i somewhat get it. hopefully he turns out to be the real deal and the situation is different next cycle.

I’d love to have someone who scores poo poo goals

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

same op but he completely failed to do so in bundesliga so i guess i don't find him doing so against farmers totally convincing

still better than haji though

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

G-Hawk posted:

we should have brought pepi but he was dogshit for a year and most of his goals lately are poo poo goals against poo poo teams so i somewhat get it.

This is a description of every US goal this tournament though

E: actually was the wales one any good? Feel like an eternity ago

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Gigi Galli posted:

This is a description of every US goal this tournament though

E: actually was the wales one any good? Feel like an eternity ago

Pretty good yeah, Pulisic to Weah. Wasn’t accidental which puts it firmly ahead of Haji’s today

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I don't think there's ever been as wtf a lovely goal as the one the us scored today

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

ilmucche posted:

I don't think there's ever been as wtf a lovely goal as the one the us scored today

Harry Kane won the Golden Boot at the last World Cup with a jammier goal

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Backdoor Delivery posted:

Something like 1-2% of corners ever result in goals. More consistent delivery would have been helpful, but some people would have you believe that was our undoing rather than the Dutch having superior players and coaching.

Oh huh, I thought it was higher - probably a holdover from that mid 2000s - early 2010s period of international football where it felt like all teams were scared to score from open play and only wanted to win a set piece.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
thought the performance was mostly good today. theres a lot of talent in this usa side. 2026 could be an important year if the trend continues. i dont want to like him but pulisic has a good mentality. i think weah might go on to be a pretty solid player too.

definitely need better finishing in this side though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

can the US wheel Brian Mcbride out of retirement? Even at 50 he has to be better than this bunch of strikers