Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

are we not allowed to criticize the design of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Games are for children go do a Marxism outside :bahgawd:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I’m saying if this mechanism changes as outlined and the rest stays the same, welfare will remain a trap option liable to ruin your economy in the game. That’s a gameplay criticism.

Furthermore this can be fixed by incentivizing the aggressive lowering of wages to the lowest level the market will bear while maximizing profit. Ironically, this game mechanic suggestion also mirrors real life capitalist incentives.

Another fix would be decoupling welfare from wages and coupling it to some expected SoL instead. Just don’t couple it to average worker SoL without doing the above because that’s just a coupling to wages with extra steps.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Games are for children go do a Marxism outside :bahgawd:

kids: we want marxism
mom: weve got marxism at home
marxism at home:

(I got nothing)

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

Furthermore this can be fixed by incentivizing the aggressive lowering of wages to the lowest level the market will bear while maximizing profit. Ironically, this game mechanic suggestion also mirrors real life capitalist incentives.

And as I quoted they explicitly said they decided to not do that.

And you can't decouple wages and SoL because that's like their core design of the game.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Uhuh, they make poor choices causing a broken game.

The good news is it can be fixed.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I've god bad news for you.

They decided to not fix the game.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Lostconfused posted:

I've god bad news for you.

They decided to not fix the game.

It is very funny that they said they wont let capitalism behave the way it actually does to not increase radicalization

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Kaiserreich russia update when?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I have no idea, soon maybe? They're still talking about it.

It's been in the works for over a year now because the person working on it went off to do something else. Or something like that.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

i have been having fun playing the after the end mod for crusader kings 3

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

happy for you maybe ill give it a try sometime

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
After the End came out?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Tankbuster posted:

Kaiserreich russia update when?

Tommykay just dropped a Poland Kaiserraich video. Old World Blues haven't announced updates in months, last thing they put out was that they wanna poach HOI4 modders. I think this pile of mods we got is it for a while. Last mod focused update hosed up every mod dev team, they all got consumed making custom medal divisions.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I just wanted the reworked india mang. Oh well, another CSA run it is.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Old World Blues has been getting new updates constantly?

They mostly include changes to existing minors or adding new ones though.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

I had heard Cyberpunk 2077 was good after the 1.6 update this year, and in gameplay terms that might be true(r) but, despite having a setting perfect for it, it's unable to string together a critique of the society depicted. The root of pretty much every problem the game makes a big deal of, with the exception of maybe rogue AIs behind the Blackwall, is "Capitalism" but instead the best it can come up with is "corporations" and "consumerism".

The anarchist character that lives in your head is as stupid and useless as you'd expect, embodying the Gen X Californian ideology that "fighting the system" through music and "chaos" for its own sake have meaning. Quarter to Three had more to say about the treatment of genre, which I know less about, but there's a lot I agree with:

So what does developer CD Projekt do with this gimmick? They tell us that corporations are evil. Johnny Silverhand is a “rocker” — the term is used unironically — who got disillusioned. Fame and partying are hard on a guy. But in case that’s not enough to rouse angst, he gets a facile last-minute motivation added to the mix (get ready to cross “woman in refrigerator” off your character motivation bingo card). So Johnny Silverhand decides to 9/11 the local corporate skyscraper with a nuclear weapon. At which point, for reasons that are either unexplained or explained so poorly that I wiped them from my memory banks, his consciousness is written onto a top-secret high-tech experimental memory chip which sits around for fifty years. And then your character steals it and puts it into his or her head. So now you have a virtual rocker buddy. He appears from time to time to pontificate awkwardly about the evils of corporations. Johnny Silverhand is hard-rocking, hard-partying, and hardboiled, and boy does he hate corporations! He really puts the “dur” in Tyler Durden. You can disagree with him if you like, and the story would have you think it’s going to explore the push/pull between your will and his. But it’s not. Given how little the narrative matters, he’s just going to carry on about destroying evil corporations, waving his silver hand around, and intoning in Keanu Reeves’ best attempt at a super serious read. “Whoa, I know anarchy.”

https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2020/12/15/looking-for-the-cyberpunk-in-cyberpunk-2077/

Apologies if there's a general CSPAM games thread I missed.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Tankbuster posted:

After the End came out?

open beta, it's not on steam workshop yet so you gotta download it off the reddit: https://old.reddit.com/r/AfterTheEndFanFork/comments/z99n29/after_the_end_ck3_open_beta/

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

There is, it's here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874955

They mainly talk about Fromsoftware games, and sometimes Disco Elysium.

Cyberpunk was discussed, but I think the main conclusion is that it was a game written by liberals which kind of explains why the story is the way it is.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Lostconfused posted:

There is, it's here https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3874955

They mainly talk about Fromsoftware games, and sometimes Disco Elysium.

excuse me have you not heard that thread has been taken over by morons creaming themselves over fortnite

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUP2Nh5Dnig

A better review than the kotaku (?) one from a while ago.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Obviously Fortnite just needs some Guderian, Rommel, and Stepan Bandera skins to draw in the grognard crowd

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Obviously Fortnite just needs some Guderian, Rommel, and Stepan Bandera skins to draw in the grognard crowd

drat i can't believe you can play fortnite as the byzantine empire now

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

doing fornite dances on the walls of byzantium before getting vaporized by ottoman cannon

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/us_sams/status/1594824265530056705?t=EckjxPlq7xfX1EcJuYickw&s=19

Someone run forums Diplomacy pls

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Frosted Flake posted:

I had heard Cyberpunk 2077 was good after the 1.6 update this year, and in gameplay terms that might be true(r) but, despite having a setting perfect for it, it's unable to string together a critique of the society depicted. The root of pretty much every problem the game makes a big deal of, with the exception of maybe rogue AIs behind the Blackwall, is "Capitalism" but instead the best it can come up with is "corporations" and "consumerism".

The anarchist character that lives in your head is as stupid and useless as you'd expect, embodying the Gen X Californian ideology that "fighting the system" through music and "chaos" for its own sake have meaning. Quarter to Three had more to say about the treatment of genre, which I know less about, but there's a lot I agree with:

So what does developer CD Projekt do with this gimmick? They tell us that corporations are evil. Johnny Silverhand is a “rocker” — the term is used unironically — who got disillusioned. Fame and partying are hard on a guy. But in case that’s not enough to rouse angst, he gets a facile last-minute motivation added to the mix (get ready to cross “woman in refrigerator” off your character motivation bingo card). So Johnny Silverhand decides to 9/11 the local corporate skyscraper with a nuclear weapon. At which point, for reasons that are either unexplained or explained so poorly that I wiped them from my memory banks, his consciousness is written onto a top-secret high-tech experimental memory chip which sits around for fifty years. And then your character steals it and puts it into his or her head. So now you have a virtual rocker buddy. He appears from time to time to pontificate awkwardly about the evils of corporations. Johnny Silverhand is hard-rocking, hard-partying, and hardboiled, and boy does he hate corporations! He really puts the “dur” in Tyler Durden. You can disagree with him if you like, and the story would have you think it’s going to explore the push/pull between your will and his. But it’s not. Given how little the narrative matters, he’s just going to carry on about destroying evil corporations, waving his silver hand around, and intoning in Keanu Reeves’ best attempt at a super serious read. “Whoa, I know anarchy.”

https://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2020/12/15/looking-for-the-cyberpunk-in-cyberpunk-2077/

cyberpunk 2077 was the platonic ideal of the guy going "wow cool future" while all of its horrors flew over his head. i really wonder how mike pondsmith feels about it

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Heard an apocryphal story about the Nixon cabinet sitting down to play Diplomacy one evening and no one talking to each other for a week afterwards.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Nixon Gaming

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Nixon was definitely a gamer as far as saying the words

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Nixon First Gaming Podcaster President

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

nixon is that guy that is a little bit too into playing the nazis in any given wargames

or has a fully painted SS Leibstandarte army, and admires them for their efficiency

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Richard Wargaming Nixon posted:

"The Bohemian Grove, which I attend from time to time—it is the most faggy goddamned thing you could ever imagine, with that San Francisco crowd."

Nixon went to any hot couch or convention hall that hosted a tabletop game. Always afraid that his CIA roleplay group was taking it far too seriously, but he couldn't drop the DM of that group. Decades later it turns out this messy bitch was right.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tekopo posted:

nixon is that guy that is a little bit too into playing the nazis in any given wargames

or has a fully painted SS Leibstandarte army, and admires them for their efficiency

The famously efficient guys who tried to drive through marked minefields at Kursk.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
wait what?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Imagine reading intelligence about panicked Americans thinking your tiger tanks are invincible, then deciding they are in fact invincible. Idk if that ever happened but if it did, that's the SS

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tankbuster posted:

wait what?

lol yeah, on the first day of Kursk's southern flank LSSAH tried to drive through a minefield, well, several marked minefields, at Bykovka.

I can thumb through to pull quotes but it's one of those things that really should have ended the SS mystique then and there.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

ss mythology was manufactured by a mix of the us rehabilitating nazi generals post wwii and an American cottage industry of small press magazine/books/wargames that started in the 70 and developed through the 80s and early 90s

some bits aren’t great but The Myth of the Eastern Front is a good read

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Alright, so right off the bat, no surprise, guess who wrote the original English report on Kurk's southern flank? Why, Friedrich Fangohr
Chief of Staff, Fourth Panzer Army!

"Perhaps the most significant contribution of the postwar Kursk study— albeit one that has been unrealized until now (1950's)—was Busse's fortunate selection of Friedrich Fangohr to write the chapter on Fourth Panzer Army operations." What other publicans did he write for the US Army? One titled "...Population, and (Its) Influence on Warfare in the Soviet Union". "...he was the only senior member of Fourth Panzer Army staff to do any work for the U.S. Army..." "...he escaped Soviet captivity, serving for two weeks in mid-May as the head of the German liaison staff responsible for coordinating the disarmament and internment of Wehrmacht prisoners after the surrender at Rheims."

"(The history of) Operation Citadel simply could not have been written by anyone else. Thus we have a valuable lost memoir of sorts from a key participant on the battle of Kursk... (though) Fangohr himself has nearly been lost to history."

Well, in his telling, it went something like this:

A German General posted:

On the Plan
General Hoth also called Field Marshal von Manstein's attention to the fact that breaking through the Russian defensive system would be diffi- cult, costly, and time-consuming. He did not expect Fourth Panzer Army to achieve strategic freedom of movement until we had penetrated the line Teterevino-Novenkoye, roughly twenty-seven to thirty kilometers southeast of Oboyan, where the third and final Soviet defensive belt was located.

...we all believed that the quality of these divisions and their equipment justified visualizing an intangible factor that might restore the balance. The allocation of two battalions deploying between them 188 of the new Pzkw V Panthers appeared to support such a view and brought us up to a total of 700 tanks available to the army during the operation.

Even so, General Hoth appeared confident of achieving at least a lim- ited victory. With regard to the breakthrough attack against the Russian defensive system, he anticipated complete success. Given our tank strength and state of training, he had confidence as well in the outcome of the expected collision at Prokhorovka, though he never doubted that this would come at the cost of heavy casualties both in personnel and equipment.

Breaking through the primary and secondary Russian defensive belts between Belgorod and Tomarovka fell to the II SS Panzer Corps, with the main effort to be located at the interior wings of Das Reich and Liebstandarte Adolf Hitler.

On the preparatory battles on the 3rd and 4th
(A Panther unit moving to position on July 4) Mechanical defects accounted for the loss of 25 percent of his vehicles during the night. Though most of these defects were minor, forty-five Panthers did not manage to ride into action on the first day of the attack. Combat losses incurred subsequently made it impossible to make up for this initial loss.

II SS Panzer Corps succeeded in wiping out the Soviet outposts on its front after bitter fighting. Rainfall in that sector had not been as severe, and the corps's attack echelon was therefore able to move into its assembly area with considerably less difficulty.

The LII Corps's feint attack in the afternoon of 4 July misfired. After suffering substantial losses, the corps had to discontinue the operation.

Der Tag
On 5 July both panzer corps jumped off at 0600 after the planned two- hour artillery preparation. We subsequently established that, though brief, this barrage had been very effective.

The II SS Panzer Corps rolled over countless antitank ditches, knocked out antitank weapons in large numbers, and fought its way through the first and second Soviet defensive belts on 5-6 July.

The advance of XLVIII Panzer Corps suffered major delays as it struggled not just against the Russians but also with formidable terrain obstacles. Specifically, a creek bed ran south and southeast of Butovo that could not be bypassed; the mud in this creek bed defies description. At the same time, enemy flanking fire from the positions still held atop the Sybino heights made itself felt. (the attack) received little air support. Moreover, enemy tactical reserves launched continuous if often disjointed counterattacks. All in all, XLVIII Panzer Corps had a tough fight on the first day of the attack, suffering losses that were far from negligible.

On 6 July the Russians unexpectedly cut loose with a cannonade of defensive fire: They brought all arms into play, including long-range artillery. This occurred as the German advance entered an area in which countless enemy tanks had been dug in, hull-down; they were camou- flaged and cleverly distributed over the terrain. Each tank represented a strongpoint in itself, the destruction or capture of which was costly and time-consuming.

His Conclusion
...final, decisive Russian defeat had been in the offing at the very moment that it became necessary to discontinue the offensive.

Here's what the US summary of the same actions was:

US Staff Analysis posted:

The resulting comedy of errors had nothing to do with the infamous teething problems experienced by the Panthers and everything to do with the inexperience of their crews and the ineptitude of their commander. In a summary report, one observer noted that the two battalions moved to attack without (their commanders) issuing situational orders. The companies knew absolutely nothing about the attack plans. Confusion set in from the start, since neither objectives, formation, or direction were ordered. Lumbering awkwardly out of their assembly area in the dark, the Panthers first ran headlong into a minefield covered by Soviet antitank guns and antitank rifle platoons. Without training above the platoon level or effective radios, the new tanks took their first losses whiletrying to extricate themselves. Charging forward to make up lost time, (their commander) then ran his brigade into a hopeless bog, across which the combat engineers would have to spend critical hours building a bridge.

Because the Panthers had taken the lead, and because there were so many of them packed into such a small area, the divisional panzer battalion of Pzkw IVs could not bypass them, and thus the acting commander of III Battalion, Fusiliers, had no tank support when the artillery barrage opened. Caught between two imperatives— the knowledge that the division could only fire a brief artillery preparation and the absence of his tank support—and unable to contact his regimental headquarters by telephone or radio, the captain hesitated. He then committed his three assault companies several minutes after the artillery preparation had ended. It was the worst decision he could have made, because the Soviet defenders had been granted the critical time necessary to race back to their firing positions as the artillery fire walked past them, the German troops still did not have tank support, and—in the nearly complete absence of the Luftwaffe—Russian fighter-bombers appeared overhead. Within less than two hours the battalion had suffered more than 150 casualties without denting the Russian lines.

(After getting out of the minefield) (The) two novice battalions moved in such ungainly fashion that they not only failed to get into proper position or cross the enemy anti- tank ditch at the edge of the Soviet defenses but also interfered with the commitment of the follow-up infantry battalions, delaying them for at least an hour.

US Writers on the SS, Southern Flank, July 5 posted:

In comparing the relative success achieved by II SS Panzer Corps on 5 July 1943 to the mediocre results scored by XLVIII Panzer Corps, it is necessary to dispense with several deep-seated myths regarding the Waffen SS divisions in Operation Citadel. Many writers, like Robin Cross, tend to emphasize weight of numbers and the fanaticism of the troops, speaking of II SS Panzer Corps as "the ideological battering ram of Nazism, [which] was poised to strike with over 400 armoured fighting vehicles, including forty-two Tigers, and a Nebelwerfer brigade." (In reality they were short on vehicles due to breakdowns)

Neither were the three SS panzergrenadier divisions without their own internal shortcomings. The Liebstandarte Adolph Hitler had just lost Sepp Dietrich, whose departure represented a huge blow to morale even though "Obersepp" (as he was affectionately known to the troops) was no one's idea of a technically competent division commander. Dietrich had been transferred to organize a second SS Panzer Corps headquarters, and with him as cadre for the new Hitler Jugend Division he had taken thirty-five key officers, one company from the reconnaissance battalion, one panzer battalion, and one artillery battalion. The division entered Operation Citadel with a new commander and new men heading the panzer regiment, artillery regiment, both panzergrenadier regiments, and four other combat battalions. Moreover, in the fierce fighting around Kharkov during February and March, the Liebstandarte had taken more than 4,500 casualties. The only partial compensations that the division received for the bulk transfers and combat losses were a contingent of 2,500 involuntary transferees from the Luftwaffe and several hundred conscripts delivered by the SS replacement system (initially receiving the derisive label of "yank-alongs" in a unit formerly proud to have been completely composed of volunteers). Both Das Reich and Totenkopf to a somewhat lesser extent suffered from the same problems.

The plan envisioned reconnaissance units, "after the breakthrough across the enemy's second line of defense," reaching as far as "nine kilometers north of Prochorowka." To accomplish these ambitious objectives, II SS Panzer Corps coordinated a series of sharp, successive blows designed to crack open the Russian defenses. Engineers attached to this group were "to create and mark paths through the mine fields and crossings over the tank trenches along as broad a front as possible" in order for the Tigers and assault guns to move up through.

If everything proceeded according to plan, by the evening of 5 July II SS Panzer Corps would have torn a rent in the Soviet defenses nearly thirty kilometers deep and half that wide.

Their combined assault did not manage to push the Russian defenders out of the town until after 1615, and the Deutschland assault group from Das Reich did not manage to pull even with Liebstandarte's right flank until after 1800. That was about the time that Liebstandarte's armored group (committed as the division spearhead passed north of Bykovka) "just as night was falling ran into an antitank front (marked minefields) near Yakovlevo." At the cost of roughly 1,000 casualties and as many as thirty-five tanks, II SS Panzer Corps had broken through the first Soviet defensive system and driven all the way to the edge of the second line.

German action the next Corps over posted:

Lieutenant General Gustav Schmidt's 19th Panzer Division fared only slightly better. Breith and Schmidt had pinned their hopes on the fourteen Tigers spearheading the attack out of the bridgehead by Regimentsgruppe 429 and Panzergrenadier Regiment 74. Unfortunately, liaison between the regimental commander from the 168th Infantry Division and the headquarters of the 19th Panzer Division proved nonexistent. Captain Clemens Graf von Kageneck, commander of Tiger Battalion 503, reported that "there wasn't a single map available showing the location of the mines that had been laid by the German units in front of the bridgehead. Two completely contradictory mine plans were available, and both were incorrect." Kageneck's company lost nine tanks disabled by mines—seven of them to German mines! Four more Tigers fell victim to Soviet antitank fire because of what Kageneck characterized as the "result of carelessness or tactically incorrect employment." The heavy tanks had been intended "to advance in direct contact" with the assault troops, "directly behind the mine-detecting sections," but faced by extraordinarily heavy Russian fire the grenadiers lagged back, and "by the evening of 5 July, four Tigers stood 50 to 80 meters in front of the infantry elements," where they became the target of massed antitank fire. By nightfall only one of the fourteen Tigers committed to support 19th Panzer Division remained undamaged. "The loss of the Tiger-Kompanie, which was the Schwerpunkt of the attacking division," admitted Breith two weeks later, "was very detrimental to directing the battle."

I could go on, but lol yeah LSSAH really hosed up.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
there was some ridiculous axis and Allie’s clone a decade ago that’s claim to fame was it was the worlds largest board game. there was some dude on the forums who would talk about having a full ss uniform on display in his game room. this was before it was super obvious to the mainstream that this guy was a maniac. anyway, I disagreed with him about a very specific rule regarding the navy and he tried to correct me but then the game designer came in and said he was wrong. a triumph for communism of the 21st century.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Frosted Flake posted:

Alright, so right off the bat, no surprise, guess who wrote the original English report on Kurk's southern flank? Why, Friedrich Fangohr
Chief of Staff, Fourth Panzer Army!

"Perhaps the most significant contribution of the postwar Kursk study— albeit one that has been unrealized until now (1950's)—was Busse's fortunate selection of Friedrich Fangohr to write the chapter on Fourth Panzer Army operations." What other publicans did he write for the US Army? One titled "...Population, and (Its) Influence on Warfare in the Soviet Union". "...he was the only senior member of Fourth Panzer Army staff to do any work for the U.S. Army..." "...he escaped Soviet captivity, serving for two weeks in mid-May as the head of the German liaison staff responsible for coordinating the disarmament and internment of Wehrmacht prisoners after the surrender at Rheims."

"(The history of) Operation Citadel simply could not have been written by anyone else. Thus we have a valuable lost memoir of sorts from a key participant on the battle of Kursk... (though) Fangohr himself has nearly been lost to history."

Well, in his telling, it went something like this:

Here's what the US summary of the same actions was:

I could go on, but lol yeah LSSAH really hosed up.

Lol, LMAO even