Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Conical hat glam completion at 76%. Hope the Christmas items go on sale later this month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Cleretic posted:

I think with ARR especially it's hard to differentiate between 'meaningful and useful' and 'gratuitous and uncomfortable' because there's just so much of it that you stop distinguishing between individual instances at all, let alone how well they were implemented

actually i distinguish between them op

Lord_Magmar posted:

People would argue that it isn't a functional part of Yotsuyu's story considering how Hien responds to it is largely frustrating to a lot of players.
coincidentally the part people take issue there is also original to the localization

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I’m not sure why “Aymeric is the bastard son of Thordan VII and a prostitute” is particularly awful considering that’s a thing that happened all the time with real life popes?

Also Aymeric being a bastard and very specifically Thordan’s bastard is very central to his character and his motivations?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hien should've just killed Yotsuyu when he had a chance, we all knew where leaving her alive was going.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You mean the best trial in all of Stormblood? loving... Wayward Daughter

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

super sweet best pal posted:

Hien should've just killed Yotsuyu when he had a chance, we all knew where leaving her alive was going.
no it's important that we forgive the nazis who committed war crimes because they were only following orders and now she has amnesia

sorry don't get me started im trying to delete it etc

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Can we not rehash this for the 300th time?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I dunno, maybe we'll finally solve this conundrum once and for all this time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ibblebibble posted:

I dunno, maybe we'll finally solve this conundrum once and for all this time.

I can do this, I got this...

DACK FAYDEN posted:

no it's important that we forgive the nazis who committed war crimes because they were only following orders and now she has amnesia

sorry don't get me started im trying to delete it etc

You are dumb. I will not be taking responses.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
whats the reason dps exdr queue is so much worse on the weekend? if i queue after work mon-fri at worst it's an estimated 6m queue and generally sub-5 minutes (with queues popping near instant), but on the weekend its regularly estimated 15+. do people just not like playing reaper after a day in the office

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Countblanc posted:

whats the reason dps exdr queue is so much worse on the weekend? if i queue after work mon-fri at worst it's an estimated 6m queue and generally sub-5 minutes (with queues popping near instant), but on the weekend its regularly estimated 15+. do people just not like playing reaper after a day in the office

People cap across the week and then don't have to do it on the weekend I guess.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ibram Gaunt posted:

People cap across the week and then don't have to do it on the weekend I guess.
Yeah, compare to Monday queues for a real comparison (and I'd imagine Monday queues are equally slow but I don't actually know myself)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

coincidentally the part people take issue there is also original to the localization

Huh. Well now I'm curious about the differences between the JP and EN versions of Yotsuyu's story.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Runa posted:

Huh. Well now I'm curious about the differences between the JP and EN versions of Yotsuyu's story.
to be clear the entire story isn't different, i just mean that the scene with yotsuyu's former pimp. in english hien is all 'we've all committed sins, who among us can judge forced prostitution man, i shall not convict him of anything,' but in jp he just goes 'this is truly a disturbing story, i shall speak to pimp man later.' 'speak to him later' instead of 'book him lougiri' implies that he isn't going to be immediately executed but there's no mention of him beyond that scene so you can imagine any way that conversation could have gone, rather than the eng version where hien implies he isn't going to punish him at all.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also i like the guys who post a ton about how this game is hardcore nazi apologism and then five posts later theyre discussing the minutiae of duty roulette.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I'm a bit unsure what to do with my chook after using my first onion. I've put points into the healer tree so far, but I have no idea what's most useful out of DPS and tank. Playing THM right now, I can certainly see the value in a tank, but I'm not sure if I'm gonna reach a point where that's redundant and a healer will be just as useful, and in regards to DPS; killing things quickly is a good way to stay alive.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

That being a translation issue honestly makes some sense -- I always had a hard time taking it as a damning characterization moment for Hien because it's so damned vague, like even the character doesn't know WTF. A wishy-washy translation would explain that!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

to be clear the entire story isn't different, i just mean that the scene with yotsuyu's former pimp. in english hien is all 'we've all committed sins, who among us can judge forced prostitution man, i shall not convict him of anything,' but in jp he just goes 'this is truly a disturbing story, i shall speak to pimp man later.' 'speak to him later' instead of 'book him lougiri' implies that he isn't going to be immediately executed but there's no mention of him beyond that scene so you can imagine any way that conversation could have gone, rather than the eng version where hien implies he isn't going to punish him at all.

Ah, thanks. Yeah that does change Hien's tone a lot, and not for the better

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't think it matters because, either way, the read of the scene remains the same: The information gives Hien and the player insight into Yotsuyu's motivations, but is ultimately unimportant in the context of planning their attack on Doma Castle. It's a thing that can be dealt with at an unspecified point in the future, if it gets dealt with at all, and doesn't really need to involve the player.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
Another Pop Team Epic FFXIV parody this week
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/zbo7bd/more_ffxiv_parody_in_this_weeks_episode_of_pop/

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
If Doma was fantasy Texas we could have just executed the criminal.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Black Griffon posted:

I'm a bit unsure what to do with my chook after using my first onion. I've put points into the healer tree so far, but I have no idea what's most useful out of DPS and tank. Playing THM right now, I can certainly see the value in a tank, but I'm not sure if I'm gonna reach a point where that's redundant and a healer will be just as useful, and in regards to DPS; killing things quickly is a good way to stay alive.

TBH, the DPS tree. Even on a healer class, your chocobo buddy is never enough to really pull threat on you (Or maybe I'm using my chocobo wrong) so it's better to just build DPS until you can't spend points on it anymore.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Seconding that Tank Chocobo options never actually manage to hold aggro well. DPS Chocobo options, on the other hand, sometimes have your buddy unleashing a stun and interrupting something pesky from the overworld mob you're fighting!

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
The chocobos are generally quite good with their kick timing, yeah. DPS spec all day every day, even if they sometimes clip other mobs with their conal AoE.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tank chocobos dont hold aggro that well and die pretty quickly. meanwhile most mobs cant really kil you that fast even if youre a squishy class.

so yeah, go dps and a bit of healer.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

IIRC, the most common advice is to go into Healer for Choco Cure and then go into DPS, then round out into the crit talents when necessary. There's items that're sold by the Vath later on that can give your chocobo boosts to various things like healing/DPS/etc., so you can always use one of those and set it to a specific stance if you need it to DPS/heal exclusively.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

iPodschun posted:

My FC doesn't use voice chat much but I ended up in a linkshell where 10-20 people are on voice chat every night

That bow is one of my favorites and just seeing it mentioned makes me want to glam my bow back to it. Currently using Artemis Bow Atma because the blue matches the rest of my outfit.

Time to go back to this Bard glam, I think.

Also I love how it dyes. Flat, but the right kind of flat.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Endorph posted:

also i like the guys who post a ton about how this game is hardcore nazi apologism and then five posts later theyre discussing the minutiae of duty roulette.
hey I was dropping it I said don't get me started

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

(continues to post about it)

Hey I was dropping it

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

all posters should be guillotined

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Bruceski posted:

I hadn't tried dying it before but yeah it's good

ChuckBTY
Feb 14, 2012

Bruceski posted:

Time to go back to this Bard glam, I think.

Hey getting back and haven't played in a while, which bow is that?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ChuckBTY posted:

Hey getting back and haven't played in a while, which bow is that?

Edengrace Harp Bow, from the first tier of Savage raids last expansion.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Welp, getting back into this game after several years. Took me a month or more to figure out what in the hell I was doing. Gave up and just took my highest job and went running the msq. Now I'm at the part in post ARR territory that I have to do some primal hard clears to get back into the story. And then I'll need to take a dip to do some raids I see to also get back to story. Started back at SMN 35 and now I'm SMN 52. Really would be nice if the raids weren't required at this point. Or the dungeons changed to not be raids.

Edit: Is there a difference between the 3 free companies on excalibur? Apparently I'm already on that server.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 4, 2022

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
none of the raids are required to do the game

there's trials, but you can spend an entire trial dead as any class and the other 7 people will still clear it

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Crystal tower was made mandatory, pretty sure that's what they're talking about.

They're not worth worrying about, though. That series especially is basically a dungeon with more people. They're in a roulette, you'll get in pretty quickly and everything dies fast, it's fine.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

crystal tower should be in the guildhest roulette

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Zack Ater posted:

Crystal tower was made mandatory, pretty sure that's what they're talking about.

They're not worth worrying about, though. That series especially is basically a dungeon with more people. They're in a roulette, you'll get in pretty quickly and everything dies fast, it's fine.

Yup, that is the one. Even if I skipped the post ARR msq at the point and jumped to HW, I hear it'll haunt you again later in endwalker if you hadn't done it by then as well.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
You can also spend most of the time dead on alliance raid bosses and no one will bother you. In fact, in later (fully optional, so far) alliance raids that's kind of expected of newbies, so don't worry :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Crystal tower takes like 20mins at most a wing and is balanced around the fact that most of the playerbase struggles to hit consecutive GCDs so it's really not worth stressing about at all.