Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

tehinternet posted:

Which raises the question: how the gently caress do you make a chainsaw axe suck?

I mean for real just saying that poo poo sounds dope as gently caress, how… just fuckin how

I mean, I get what they were going for with the chainaxe, but it's just not where it needs to be.

The light attacks sticking is a big oof, bigger oof is the small amount of damage it does while doing so.

The Rev up attacks are good for it and are pretty good can openers.

If the light attack either did more damage or didn't stick, and the heavy attack cleaved a little better itd be mostly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Yeah, all the seething about bad rewards and the cash shop on reddit is throwing me for six. The game is fun to play, it's been out for a couple of weeks, hats are the least of my worries. I just like shooting stuff with other people.

I do find it wierd you can't just build white versions of the any items you have unlocked whenever you want though. The shop seems balanced around an easy way to get bad versions of the items.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

field balm posted:

I do find it wierd you can't just build white versions of the any items you have unlocked whenever you want though. The shop seems balanced around an easy way to get bad versions of the items.

Yeah all the itemization stuff will fill in with time and from the jump already is a lot more interesting than VT because of significantly cooler traits/blessings. My only real beef with it right now is not being able to always be able to obtain greys of unlocked weapons; it's particularly egregious with classes that have a lot of weapons so your store RNG is subject to even more things to roll against.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
With blessings, do you mean the weapon traits? Have you found some really cool ones, because I must have missed those.
Most of them are like, a situational +15% to some stat for a short duration at best.

Edit: Like, "+6% reload speed when sliding" or "Up to +10% damage when continuously firing" is not exactly what I would call exciting.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Broken Cog posted:

Contrary to common belief, there is a game between 1 and 30.

I'd rather the majority of the game be when you have your cool capstone modifier and all the feats that let you change up your playstyle. The time to 30 should be like 25% of what it is now imo

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Jerkface posted:

I'd rather the majority of the game be when you have your cool capstone modifier and all the feats that let you change up your playstyle. The time to 30 should be like 25% of what it is now imo
At the very least it should possibly speed the gently caress up once you're in your second/third/fourth character. It's a drat slog to level up the other classes.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

With blessings, do you mean the weapon traits? Have you found some really cool ones, because I must have missed those.
Most of them are like, a situational +15% to some stat for a short duration at best.

Edit: Like, "+6% reload speed when sliding" or "Up to +10% damage when continuously firing" is not exactly what I would call exciting.

There's stuff for melee like ignoring enemy mass on weak spot kills and your thumper grenades sticking to bosses, yes. Synergies like Pinning Fire (+power on stagger) with Bolters, etc.

Anyway, reached 30 on my Veteran, gonna shelve him while I get to work on my other classes. Also, I think I like the Agripinaa over the Columnus and Graia braced autoguns, a key thing I noticed is that the Agripinaa staggers the gently caress out of targets, so even if I don't get a kill, dudes are just getting knocked down or interrupted constantly. Would be good with Pinning Fire too, when that functionality is in.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Exodee posted:

Oh heck yeah, an orange item rewa-

oh...

Autopistols are VERY strong, you just have to know how to use them.

They rip apart anything that isn't Flak or Carapace, and the Flak performance is tolerable. If you want to put down a Mutant right now, there aren't many better tools. Plus, because they have massive ammo reserves, they can be used on swarms with no trouble because a single Ammo Tin can give you two magazines' worth of bullets. Also, being a light weapon, Autopistols ready and reload very quickly, and because they come with Flashlights, they're helpful during low-visibility situations.

Finally, they get access to some REALLY incredible perks. Raking Fire is probably the nastiest, granting +15-30% Damage when shooting Enemies in the back - really nice for bosses or eliminating Specials that you side-stepped.

Kith fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Dec 4, 2022

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

toasterwarrior posted:

There's stuff for melee like ignoring enemy mass on weak spot kills and your thumper grenades sticking to bosses, yes. Synergies like Pinning Fire (+power on stagger) with Bolters, etc.
I actually have that "Ignore enemy mass on weak spot kills" on a shovel for my Ogryn, and I legit am not sure if I notice a difference.
It doesn't give you infinite cleave, and you still can't stagger anything, so I don't think it's for that either.

The grenades sticking to monstrosities could be fun, I suppose, but there's currently only 3 mobs in the game that count as monstrosities, and you're not guaranteed to see even one of them in a mission. Not sure if it's worth making a build around exactly, though it could be a fun novelty.
Not sure if the grenades can even stick to the shield of the captain boss.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I got it on a power sword and it makes unpowered attacks nearly as good as power attacks on trash mobs so shrug. At least I'm not here thinking "well time to get Swift Slaying on everything" like in VT?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

field balm posted:

Yeah I don't think you get weapon drops often before difficulty 3.

I've done exclusively difficulty 2 missions on my veteran so far and gotten like 6 useless weapon drops in a row

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Someone mentioned running a full auto gun on Psyker combined with the "10% chance to brainburst on hit" feat. But that feat has a 15 second cooldown so that seems totally useless? It takes 2 or 3 hits to kill a special/elite on heresy and they drop like 4 of them on you at once. Not worth abandoning the staff for one free brainburst every 15 seconds unless I'm misunderstanding something.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
anyone notice matchmaking slowing down already?

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Someone mentioned running a full auto gun on Psyker combined with the "10% chance to brainburst on hit" feat. But that feat has a 15 second cooldown so that seems totally useless? It takes 2 or 3 hits to kill a special/elite on heresy and they drop like 4 of them on you at once. Not worth abandoning the staff for one free brainburst every 15 seconds unless I'm misunderstanding something.

yeah don't do that

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I've been unable to connect to the server with a bunch of different error codes

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What's a good melee weapon for Psyker that has a solid side to side heavy attack? I'm feeling the absence of the Power Sword greatly.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Orv posted:

They were talking about how they make the levels on like an editor level and it got taken vastly out of proportion.

Ah, makes sense.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Orv posted:

They were talking about how they make the levels on like an editor level and it got taken vastly out of proportion.

Yeah like you can see certain modular elements repeated in maps. I can't describe any of them well because it's like "that one tunnel under the place that goes to the stairs" etc., but there are definitely places that are reused but with different exits and such.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What's a good melee weapon for Psyker that has a solid side to side heavy attack? I'm feeling the absence of the Power Sword greatly.

Pretty sure Force Sword is your monster for everything.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The Devil’s Claw mk1 has excellent lateral heavies that consistently slash at head level. The base damage is mediocre but it has the Finesse stat, which acts as an additional headshot multiplier. Very good for handling hordes of Groaners, Poxwalkers and melee Scabs, although the melee Dregs wear helmets and are thus resistant. Completely worthless against Carapace, but as a Psycher you have other answers to that.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

people have been talking a lot about the antax mkV axe. The problem with the power sword is that it's passive quelling rate is really slow.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The chainsword is a pretty great alll-rounder now. Good wide sweep on the heavy attack, overcharged hit for rager/mauler/mutant popping.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Yeah like you can see certain modular elements repeated in maps. I can't describe any of them well because it's like "that one tunnel under the place that goes to the stairs" etc., but there are definitely places that are reused but with different exits and such.

The outdoor/sand spire map has that rotunda area but you exit in different directions depending on the mission. That’s the best example I can think of

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Move aside Grendyl, the best inquisitor has arrived:-

https://youtu.be/NgoHM_AqpqM

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Finally got around to a difficulty 5 with a friend group, even with sub-30's it was a good time that's perfectly doable with communication, learned that the 3 nurgle tentacles you have to chop have a VERY fast regeneration on higher difficulties so you have to coordinate that with multiple people while dealing with a endless horde which is a neat way to increase the difficulty on that.

Doing 5 as a group felt easier then some 3's and 4's I've done with 1 rando on the team because we didn't have that rando run off to trigger the daemonhost and die to it in 0.5 seconds after activating it, or run off a mile from the team to fight 50 gunners and elites by themselves around a corner that we'd then have to fight after they went down.

Leveling isn't so bad ever since they upped the rewards from malice and higher difficulty, shouldn't ever take more than 2 missions to level past the early levels, so expect somewhere around 50ish successful missions to hit 30 I'd say which should be around 20-30 hours per class if you spam difficulty 3 with modifiers.

I'm leveling Zealot next, what melee weapons are people finding work best on difficulty 4+? tactical axe/combat knife? evis/hammer? something else?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

DeathSandwich posted:

I mean, I get what they were going for with the chainaxe, but it's just not where it needs to be.

The light attacks sticking is a big oof, bigger oof is the small amount of damage it does while doing so.

The Rev up attacks are good for it and are pretty good can openers.

If the light attack either did more damage or didn't stick, and the heavy attack cleaved a little better itd be mostly fine.

It's definitely bizarre, because it's an excellent defensive weapon, which is not at all what you'd think to use it as, and doesn't fit it thematically at all. The alternate part of this being weird is that there is no 2H chainaxe similar to the eviscerator when there absolutely should be. Although that, along with the meltagun and some other things, were in that leak, so I guess we'll see.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

joined the discord let's do heresy+ and also maybe help me with psyker boss solo bullshit because I'm just that loveable

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh my god I love this game. Have been having some absolutely fantastic matches on Heresy with pugs. I think I was 7 for 8 tonight.

Last one was the scanning mission. Started off with a dude on voice saying he keeps wiping early on in Heresy. I told him no worries, we got this.

What proceeded was just an absolute slogfest. Just blood, sweat, and tears throughout the whole level. Towards the end, we are running across the bridges and 3 of us go down except for this guy. We yell "RUNNN!" and he barely gets to the evac with a huge horde behind him.

End game screen... he and another were level 25.

What a game.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

TIL being hit by a pox bomber explosion from one that spawned right behind you and gave you no warning to actually move out of the way counts as taking melee damage for that dumbass penance FUCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

I get hit on average 1-3 times per try and it is driving me crazy

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

From when I click play on the launcher till I get into an actual game where I'm shooting cultists it takes about 5 minutes on average. Doesn't feel good!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Had a daemonhost spawn in a large doorway with no alternative routes around it, turns out if you crouch walk you can sneak past very close to them similar to a l4d witch that isn't agitated.

So very proud of the rando's who followed my lead on that instead of blasting it immediately.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

BombiTheZombie posted:

The universe of WH40k is massive, and the problem is they settled on using the "boring industrial setting" planet instead of having us visit several. The reasons as to why are entirely up to the writers.

I get the impression the system our characters are in has multiple inhabited worlds so we will see more settings soon

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

2h hammer feels great when it works and completely infuriating when a single zombie clips through the crusher you're about to hit with the buffed charge swing in just the right place that it gets hit instead and eats the entire thing. it absolutely should not remove all your cleave.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

BombiTheZombie posted:

There are death worlds, massive continent spanning jungles with predators and poisonous fauna or agri-world that are massive fields focused on providing a specific product like fish, grain or meat. Frozen hellscape worlds where the planet is too far from the sun so everything is covered in ice, or planets that dont spin on their axis so half the planet is a scorched desert while the other is in perpetual frozen night. Worlds still stuck at a medieval tech level where people live in huts and small villages and see the emperor as a far-away god.

The universe of WH40k is massive, and the problem is they settled on using the "boring industrial setting" planet instead of having us visit several. The reasons as to why are entirely up to the writers.

I think the reasons are more up to the producers of the game. Doing 13 different levels is much more expensive than doing 13 different 'missions' that only use 5 different environments, and said environments are also similar in between and can share some assets.
As most things in life, it's all about money.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

2h hammer feels great when it works and completely infuriating when a single zombie clips through the crusher you're about to hit with the buffed charge swing in just the right place that it gets hit instead and eats the entire thing. it absolutely should not remove all your cleave.

It needs a big ol’ stagger AoE at least for how long the recovery animation is.

I’ve still been using it because I am a filthy hammerlover from Ratfite and when it works it’s sublime but it really can be frustrating.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I do hope a 40k game really goes for an unexpected planet at some point just because hive world and ship that's indistinguishable from hive world and grimy planet that could be the outskirts of a hive is eventually gonna give the impression that the setting is way more limited than it actually is. Some of my fave Black Library stories involve bolter and las fire tearing through picturesque and nice little places and turning the fourth of July into the fourth of poo poo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm frequently seeing this weird issue where I'll get a hit visual and sound but no damage or hitmarker. this example made it obvious because of the bright red laser imprint that stayed on the enemy's face without a real hit registering. I never saw this in vermintide, not counting phantom swings. netcode issue how that they're using dedicated servers?

https://i.imgur.com/JztDou8.mp4

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
This game takes too long. Too long to level (for dull feats), too long to get weapons you’re interested in. It seems that all weapons have equal weighting in the shop/for end of mission drops. Which means all the bespoke class weapons get muscled out by the 6 axes, 6 swords, etc. At level 18 on my psyker I still haven’t seen the conflagration staff you unlock at level 6.

Shame, because I enjoy the base gameplay and setting, but I think I’m going to have to shelve it for now. Reached level 30 zealot and level 18 psyker so gave it a good go!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Black Griffon posted:

I do hope a 40k game really goes for an unexpected planet at some point just because hive world and ship that's indistinguishable from hive world and grimy planet that could be the outskirts of a hive is eventually gonna give the impression that the setting is way more limited than it actually is. Some of my fave Black Library stories involve bolter and las fire tearing through picturesque and nice little places and turning the fourth of July into the fourth of poo poo.

It is pretty much a setting where humanity is all of the stupidest people in the world who can only speak in fake latin catchphrases and almost every product in the line is skulls and grey and cathedrals.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Sure, but as many people have elucidated that's not the whole setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Real Cool Catfish posted:

This game takes too long. Too long to level (for dull feats), too long to get weapons you’re interested in. It seems that all weapons have equal weighting in the shop/for end of mission drops. Which means all the bespoke class weapons get muscled out by the 6 axes, 6 swords, etc. At level 18 on my psyker I still haven’t seen the conflagration staff you unlock at level 6.

Shame, because I enjoy the base gameplay and setting, but I think I’m going to have to shelve it for now. Reached level 30 zealot and level 18 psyker so gave it a good go!

Yah I've hit 30 on my first character and I'm really feeling the "now what?" vibes. Item progression is obviously the next big thing but the armory system is... not great, the crafting system barely there, and worst of all, I seem to be one of a small amount of accounts which is bugged and never receives any Emperor's Gifts. Ever since launch, over 25ish levels across 2 characters and at least 40 missions I've not received a single mission reward, I've never seen a single purple let alone gold.