Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Football or Football?
Real :911: Football
Fake-o Euro Soccer
View Results

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

He was mostly titanium by the time he retired, should age well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

It's interesting watching American responses to just being not very good at a sport.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Spuckuk posted:

It's interesting watching American responses to just being not very good at a sport.

Look, give us a break, we can't possibly live up to English standards of failing at soccer. And especially not the moaning that comes afterward.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Spuckuk posted:

I would imagine the responses are very different between people who watch footy all the time vs. people who only tune in every few years when it’s WC or Gold Cup time

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I thought we played about as well as could be expected. Defending outside of the midfield seemed like a struggle all tournament and it was today.

I really hope we can find a big striker or two for the next tournament, even if off the bench. Do we have anyone like that in the pipeline prospect-wise? Feels like half the reason our set pieces were really lacking was a total lack of size to cross balls to in the box.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

I thought we played about as well as could be expected. Defending outside of the midfield seemed like a struggle all tournament and it was today.

I really hope we can find a big striker or two for the next tournament, even if off the bench. Do we have anyone like that in the pipeline prospect-wise? Feels like half the reason our set pieces were really lacking was a total lack of size to cross balls to in the box.

Sargent is probably the closest thing we have to an out-and-out striker right now (make of that what you will). So now it becomes a question of whether or not he’ll improve over the next few years or if someone else will emerge from the shadows of US soccer to take over the mantle.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Look, give us a break, we can't possibly live up to English standards of failing at soccer. And especially not the moaning that comes afterward.

You only adapted being poo poo at footie, we were born into it, moulded by it.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Gonna have to pray there’s a 14 year old wonderkid in Kaiserslautern’s academy setup who sees his dad in Florida every summer for custody (again)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Spuckuk posted:

Molded.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

The colour and flavour of this post almost sent me to hospital.

Maths.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Spuckuk posted:

It's true, we can't possibly develop anything on the level of 2006 Wayne Rooney any time soon.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Ginette Reno posted:

What's Lebron James up to these days?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Total Meatlove posted:

Gonna have to pray there’s a 14 year old wonderkid in Kaiserslautern’s academy setup who sees his dad in Florida every summer for custody (again)

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Were the USA plays too simple or based on raw athleticism? The Dutch didn’t run as hard and were marking and pressing the American team. Dutch team made quite few nice looking passes

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB2i5AH_BU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Wonton posted:

Were the USA plays too simple or based on raw athleticism? The Dutch didn’t run as hard and were marking and pressing the American team. Dutch team made quite few nice looking passes

They were busy respecting the Dutch players. The coach said we respect them so much leading up to the match. They actually should have pressed and used their raw athleticism.
This coach also said the U.S. need a world-class striker. What it needs more is a coach that isn't mediocre trash dogshit who whines about what he doesn't have.

I do not think this Dutch team is better or more skilled than the English side. It does have a better manager than either of those two.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

This coach also said the U.S. need a world-class striker. What it needs more is a coach that isn't mediocre trash dogshit who whines about what he doesn't have
if we have to choose one or the other absolutely sign me up for the striker

Big Black Dick
Mar 20, 2009

Wonton posted:

if i were the usmnt coach, i would have told my centerbacks to mark trailing runners and also not let opposing players wander around alone in the box

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Mr. Mambold posted:

They were busy respecting the Dutch players. The coach said we respect them so much leading up to the match. They actually should have pressed and used their raw athleticism.
This coach also said the U.S. need a world-class striker. What it needs more is a coach that isn't mediocre trash dogshit who whines about what he doesn't have.

I do not think this Dutch team is better or more skilled than the English side. It does have a better manager than either of those two.

100%. No idea how you legislate for simply switching off and having no defensive shape whatsoever for that third though. I missed most of the match so dunno how the US lined up but surely the full back or left sided CB has got to spot that player

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

G-Hawk posted:

if we have to choose one or the other absolutely sign me up for the striker

Sure, let's just buy one, eh? You can buy a world class coach and win without a world class striker. But a poo poo coach will nullify a great team, never mind the striker every time.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Mr. Mambold posted:

Sure, let's just buy one, eh? You can buy a world class coach and win without a world class striker. But a poo poo coach will nullify a great team, never mind the striker every time.

Look no further than Big Bald Bobby M at Belgium for a good example of this

Or Southgate in the next match or two.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
What this team really needs is Bruce Arena

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Wonton posted:

The Dutch dared us to break down their defense and we failed every time. They just sat back and waited for us. We couldn't and tried to jam it up the middle every single time until we turned the ball over.

Their counterattacks were organized and methodical while we were frantically chasing the ball and losing marks.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Spuckuk posted:

It was really nice of the English to wait until the rest of the world was better than them to decide the World Cup was actually worth showing up to.

davecrazy posted:

What's Lebron James up to these days?
To be serious for a moment because it's insane, he's currently averaging 26 points/7 boards/9 assists per game a month into the NBA season in which he'll turn 38 years old. I remember him being put on the cover of ESPN The Magazine at the age 16 and somehow he still managed to do more than live up to all the hype.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 4, 2022

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Wonton posted:

People generally focus on why the US doesn't have their own Messi as to why the US does poorly in soccer, but the reality is that American coaches are generally god awful, and the insistence on MLS managers will generally lead to stuff like this.

MLS is a joke league. It includes, frequently in the same team, players making 65k a year and has beens making 8 million. Teams play no one of note. Hence the US is predictable and easy to counter. Now, because many of the more traditional countries will also be managed by terrible managers (e.g., England) the US will sometimes look respectable there. But against any coach of note it's not going to be pretty. Tata Martino was running laps around the rest of MLS and he's been considered washed up and outdated in Argentina for a while, and you can see where it led with Mexico. And if the US picks another MLS manager the end result will be the same.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

Hard disagree. The US doesnt have enough talent to fill out a squad yet, it is improving and the next waves are promising, but no manager in the world is winning regularly against top tier opposition with haji wright or jesus ferreira as your striker. Netherlands were heavily favored because of the players they have, not the tactics they use.

Berhalter isnt holding back the team, the talent pool is. If there is a truly world class manager ready to take the job sure hire them, but dont expect miracles and lets not hire roberto martinez or some other well known mediocrity.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

G-Hawk posted:

roberto martinez
To be fair to Roberto Martinez there's not a hell of a lot you can do with a squad when all of its notable players apparently absolutely loving hate the living poo poo out of each other.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Crazy Ted posted:

To be fair to Roberto Martinez there's not a hell of a lot you can do with a squad when all of its notable players apparently absolutely loving hate the living poo poo out of each other.

This is a big deal. Team chemistry. Psychology. Fitness, skill, tactics, psychology. It's always a mix, and in the past, US. teams that had inferior skill were able to compensate with fitness and team attitude. They've never, ever had comparable skill players.

The 2014 side didn't have anywhere near the skill players in their group, but they played lights out vs. eventual champions Germany, advanced and Portugal and Ghana went home.... or compared to Belgium of 8 years ago, but they weren't embarrassed like today. <cough>Wondo<cough>

Thamk for reading my ted talk.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

That is a very heroic re-telling of getting to the round of 16 and then relying on tim howard to prevent a several goal thrashing

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

G-Hawk posted:

Hard disagree. The US doesnt have enough talent to fill out a squad yet, it is improving and the next waves are promising, but no manager in the world is winning regularly against top tier opposition with haji wright or jesus ferreira as your striker. Netherlands were heavily favored because of the players they have, not the tactics they use.

Berhalter isnt holding back the team, the talent pool is. If there is a truly world class manager ready to take the job sure hire them, but dont expect miracles and lets not hire roberto martinez or some other well known mediocrity.

Gregggg subbed in Shaq Moore on a defensive set piece

He should have been fired on the spot for that

Reek
Nov 3, 2002

every.fucking.year.
imagine your nepotism hire manager is so bad that he gets smoked by the reanimated corpse of LVG

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Okay so I've said this in other places, but for all his issues I would like someone to tell me what manager the USSF could have realistically hired in 2018 that would been able to take a US squad that was the second-youngest at the World Cup (Ghana 1st - exited at Group Stage), didn't even qualify for 2018, wasn't ranked in the top 10-12, didn't have any world-class forwards in the player pool, and breeze it into the quarterfinals or the semis because if you'll believe USMNT social media the Dutch team was just 26 overgrown handicapped children ripe for the taking.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 4, 2022

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

blows my mind that smaller countries like SK and Japan seem to have grown better national teams then the US. not to take anything away from them, but their talent pool can't be any bigger. clearly its the "academy" system failing, but jeez. how can you grapple with that.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Famethrowa posted:

blows my mind that smaller countries like SK and Japan seem to have grown better national teams then the US. not to take anything away from them, but their talent pool can't be any bigger. clearly its the "academy" system failing, but jeez. how can you grapple with that.
Well I'd imagine football being pretty solidly the second-most popular professional sport in both countries helps. And I don't really think you can say they've grown markedly better national teams than the US. They're typically alright, just like the US.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

psyer posted:

Pepi and Pefok are probably the best striker option they have for US. Sargent is good at the pressing, running around but terrible at finishing. I still do not know how Jordan Morris got called him when he was not doing anything for his club team besides being hurt recently.

I've been to a couple of Berlin games this year, Pefok is not very good. Pepi hasn't scored in a year or something like that, so he's not exactly a good choice either. Morris has been terrible since tearing his other ACL, and I have no idea why he's been starting for Seattle, let alone getting called up to the US.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Famethrowa posted:

Football is less popular than lacrosse in the USA

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

It is imperative that the USA never win a WC for the mental health of the rest of the planet.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Okay so I've said this in other places, but for all his issues I would like someone to tell me what manager the USSF could have realistically hired in 2018 that would been able to take a US squad that was the second-youngest at the World Cup (Ghana 1st - exited at Group Stage), didn't even qualify for 2018, wasn't ranked in the top 10-12, didn't have any world-class forwards in the player pool, and breeze it into the quarterfinals or the semis because if you'll believe USMNT social media the Dutch team was just 26 overgrown handicapped children ripe for the taking.

Gregg did his job, he qualified for the World Cup and got out of the group stage. Thanks for all the memories.

He's tactically inept and woefully out of his depth outside of CONCACAF. Gareth Southgate shooting himself in the foot aside I don't think he managed a single good game.

Half the squad is playing regularly in the top four leagues in Europe and the step down in coaching and game management needs to change with that. The US mentality of trotting out these has-been players who were adequate coaches in MLS needs to go away. US Soccer is setup to fail if it continues to rely on itself to develop players and managers.

Fortunately the players have noticed this and are fleeing to Europe at the first opportunity, be it at 15 or as soon as they're old enough to leave MLS. The US will never develop a world class striker domestically, the coaching and the level of play is too low, and I'm hopeful the likes of Jordan Morris coming out of NCAA soccer and playing for the US are over. It's so obvious to see how technically and tactically stunted players like Morris are. NCAA soccer is by far the worst thing for the development of American players. It's 40 years behind the rest of the world.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

You all want a word class coach? I've three words for you: Big Sam Allardyce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre

Crazy Ted posted:

…I would like someone to tell me what manager the USSF could have realistically hired in 2018 …

Realistically? Tata Martino.

Successful with Atlanta. Had the Barcelona feather in his cap (not saying it was the prettiest of feathers).

But Mexico—considering how dysfunctional its FA is—got to him first.

I think there’s still a chance US can get him in 2024. He’s supposedly had a nice club-level gig lined up in Argentina for some time.