Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

FeatherFloat posted:

Seconding that Tank Chocobo options never actually manage to hold aggro well. DPS Chocobo options, on the other hand, sometimes have your buddy unleashing a stun and interrupting something pesky from the overworld mob you're fighting!

I got a lot of use out of heal stance on my chook. FATEs can stomp you flat sometimes and the heals have saved my rear end plenty of times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

the chocobos are reliable enough at stunning enemies that sometimes you wish they were a little less so because they'll burn it on easily dodged stuff instead of the massive pbaoe the mob also casts :negative:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They just really love getting hit by bad breath :v:

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
My poor birb has died several times to Bad Breath. Even when I try to position them out of the way, they still wander into danger. :(

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
what's the deal with people assuming they'll be hard-stuck on raids anyway? the main competitor in wow has the same thing where the lowest story difficulty of raid is tuned around people being basically afk, where's the conception come from

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I leave my chocobo in healer mode 95% of the time. I always feel a little bad (for the waste of a green, mostly) when one of the special super-boss FATEs pops and I know the birb will be dead within seconds, but that's just how it goes.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Mister Olympus posted:

what's the deal with people assuming they'll be hard-stuck on raids anyway? the main competitor in wow has the same thing where the lowest story difficulty of raid is tuned around people being basically afk, where's the conception come from

Possibly that in WoW you have raid(LFR), raid(normal), raid(heroic), and raid(mythic). Then here Crystal Tower and Bahamut are just a single option, and at a glance you have no real reason to assume that Crystal Tower will be equivalent to LFR. Plus you may have overheard at some point that ARR raids are ridiculously hard to do at level and impossible to find a group for, and been unaware of the difference between Normal Raid and Alliance Raid and misunderstood.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i think in many cases it's people not actually playing mmos in 15+ years, or ever, and remembering or even just hearing about raids taking 6 hours and something about dkp. i doubt many are active WoW players comparing it to LFR.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Countblanc posted:

i think in many cases it's people not actually playing mmos in 15+ years, or ever, and remembering or even just hearing about raids taking 6 hours and something about dkp. i doubt many are active WoW players comparing it to LFR.

This is exactly where it comes from. I had heard they take perhaps an hour to do each. Just not looked into the difficulty curve. So I was basing my understanding of raids under the pretense of my days in the cauldrons for hours on end once a week to get a single clear done. All with a ton of voice communication needed to keep everyone coordinated together.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they should probably remove the word 'raids' from the name just because it has bad connotations tbh

but yeah pretty much every raid has simpler mechanics compared to equivalent level normal mode dungeons and the boosted player count makes it even easier to not care. in the average raid you'll maybe have 6-7 people who are kind of trying and thats still enough to get through it easily. they're super casual content.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
You can essentially think of Alliance Raids as 24-player dungeons that maybe take a bit longer than a standard 4-player dungeon run if it's one of the newer and/or further ones in its series (i.e. each expansion has a trilogy of Alliance Raids, with the third typically being harder than the second being harder than the first), and not always much harder than a standard 4-player dungeon, either. There are more mechanics and sometimes the alliances are split up, but overall they're tuned so that most of the time the whole instance can limp through as long as healers (and/or DPS with rezzes) are still up and about. There's like a 2 hour timer but it usually doesn't come close to running the time out unless it's a brand-new raid entirely full of people bad at learning and a boss can punish everyone if one or two of the alliances wipes (there's a few that fit the description but it's definitely not all of them).

The hardest thing might just be figuring out what you, personally, should be doing on your initial runs and what mechanics killed you.

(Normal Raids beyond Binding Coils of Bahamut are basically glorified 8-man Trials. It's only the Savages that are harder.)

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Given how it seems like every single new player complains about it, I wouldn't be surprised if a CT rework is next on the docket after they finish adding duty support to old dungeons

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

JuffoWup posted:

This is exactly where it comes from. I had heard they take perhaps an hour to do each. Just not looked into the difficulty curve. So I was basing my understanding of raids under the pretense of my days in the cauldrons for hours on end once a week to get a single clear done. All with a ton of voice communication needed to keep everyone coordinated together.

Raids in ff14 are broken up into a few flavors. First, you've got trials. One-off 8 person fights, usually against a primal but not always. They come in normal, hard mode, and extreme, although I don't think there's been a normal trial since ARR. Normal isn't really, it's 4 person versions of the fights. Hard mode, despite the name is normal and these versions are generally fairly easily clearable by any group of random players. Extremes are harder versions of these same fights, often with additional, harder to deal with mechanics that are generally considered "mid-core" content that you would want to use party finder to get a group together for but also aren't really worth bothering with until you get to end game outside of niche reasons. They don't generally require voice coms to complete but they help.

Next you have 8 person raids. Raids are a series of boss fights that come in normal mode and savage mode. Normal mode is, again, easily clearable with 8 randos picked up through the dungeon queue. Savage mode is the harder version of these fights and these are typically what you would call a raid if you're coming from an older game like WoW. You probably will need to get on voice for these and they are best done with a static, although there's a fair number of people who get clears with randoms using party finder for this as well. There is an exception to this and that is the first series of raids, the final coils of bahamut. They don't have a story mode version, they only come in savage. There is also an even harder version for floors 5-9. You'd have to put a group together for this through party finder if you wanted to do it semi-at level but it's mostly soloable at 70 so probably not worth the effort. There's also ultimate fights, which are the hardest of hard content. Grueling encounters with wild mechanics and fights that take forever. Pretty much just for fun/bragging rights.

Lastly (well, without getting into weird side content stuff like BA and Bozja) are the 24 person alliance raids. They only come in one mode and are, again, easily done with random players with no voice coms. Some of these can occasionally take around an hour to complete. It's not common at all, but every now and then you run into a bad raid that needs to wipe a time or 2 to mechanics before getting their poo poo together. I can't remember the last time that's happened so it's not generally a concern. It definitely won't be a concern in crystal tower, which is the jokeiest of joke content at this point.

So there you go. Alliance raids, normal raids, and the non-extreme versions of the trials are all easy content that you can queue for a group using the duty finder and expect to complete in a reasonable time without requiring reading strats beforehand or using voice coms.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Stormblood LP takes a big post to talk about a whole lot of different bits of content because level 67 is insanely dense.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
The 24-player raids are often the hardest right at launch because no one has much of an idea of what's going on. Obviously, some mechanics are easier to parse if you've been playing a long time, but when people don't know the dance yet it'll lead to a lot of wipes. I still sometimes feel apprehension when I get Orbonne Monastery in roulette because that one was notoriously punishing at launch (and it was eventually nerfed) but generally speaking everyone can muddle through and finish a 24-player raid before the timer runs out.

I suppose that could be said of any fresh content but in my personal experience the alliance raids tend to be a bit harder to complete in the first couple of weeks because after a wipe or two you have enough players who want to just abandon it that it starts to cascade to a point where no one feels like it's worth sticking around.

After awhile, though, it all becomes second nature and part of the regular grind. I did the Shadowbringers raids so much I could probably do them in my sleep now.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I've never actually had many people dip from alliance raids, even when I was doing the Stormblood ones in their first days and there were multiple wipes. Except for Dun Scaith, I still see people just abandon the moment they load in there.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Re: alliance raid difficulty, I'm a sprout WHM whose entire party got wiped on one of the trickier bosses in the HW alliance raid. Someone yelled to the alliance that Party C was down, the other healer and I both got rezzed pretty much immediately, and the alliance beat the boss just fine.

*Maybe* be a little wary of the alliance raids as a sprout if you main a tank class (since there's only one tank per party) but you should be fine otherwise.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

If you’re a sprout tank and worried, just turn off tank stance unless you get separated out into your own party and play blue DPS.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Hogama posted:

I've never actually had many people dip from alliance raids, even when I was doing the Stormblood ones in their first days and there were multiple wipes. Except for Dun Scaith, I still see people just abandon the moment they load in there.

I get kind of nostalgic if Hashmal fucks everyone up in Rabanastre now as it reminds me of those salad days of dying to sand spheres because the DPS were all at brink of death or still on the floor.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Mister Olympus posted:

I think it comes more from people who haven’t played an mmo and jump into 14 and thus their conception of the word raid is hard endgame boss. Which tbf, has mostly supplanted the older use of it as like, Big Dungeon, which is the way 24mans use it. To add to this, as an outsider if you hear about the new wow raid it’s not likely about lfr but some story about the mythic one having some Event around it

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I was afraid to touch raids for a while, don't think I did any of them until I was in Stormblood (this was before Crystal Tower was made required), mostly from hearing about raids being super-hard, multi-hour affairs that require communication in games like WoW and Destiny.

I wasn't until someone in my FC said "no, Crystal Tower is a loving circus" that got me to try it. Now I love doing Alliance Raids and Normal Raids. They're a ton of fun, especially close to launch day when no one has any idea what's going on.

Still never going to touch Extremes or Savages, though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Savage and extremes ftw

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Veotax posted:

I was afraid to touch raids for a while, don't think I did any of them until I was in Stormblood (this was before Crystal Tower was made required), mostly from hearing about raids being super-hard, multi-hour affairs that require communication in games like WoW and Destiny.

I wasn't until someone in my FC said "no, Crystal Tower is a loving circus" that got me to try it. Now I love doing Alliance Raids and Normal Raids. They're a ton of fun, especially close to launch day when no one has any idea what's going on.

I'm very much the same. Forced dungeons got me over my anxiety of doing instanced content and getting into Alliance and Normal raids was a smooth transition. I'm still holding myself back on Extremes, and I usually justify it by saying they don't really drop anything I particularly want. (The weapons are ugly, I can just use the relic/crafted, I don't care about mounts) I sometimes want to try extremes out when they're new but then I wait so long that I just throw my hands up and accept I won't do 'em.

I did like some of the Light weapons from Seat of Sacrifice and I wanted to do Memoria Misera EX for dyeable AF gear but :shrug: I just never did.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

sure the goon fcs must be full of nice and friendly people willing to help out people in their first forays into extreme content

Veotax
May 16, 2006

HackensackBackpack posted:

I'm very much the same. Forced dungeons got me over my anxiety of doing instanced content...

Hah, same actually. It took me three tries to fall in love with FFXIV.

The first time, which I think must have been back in a beta or something, I was so afraid of anything social in a game that as soon as I got to Sastasha I just want "gently caress this!" and stopped playing the game entirely.
Second try, must have been during Heavensward, I managed to suck it up and do dungeons, can't remember if I actually enjoyed them though. Stumbled into playing tank because I didn't realise what role Marauder was. Then hit 30 and got incredibly confused by the pre-Stormblood cross-class and job system. "Why do I need to go level Archer up to 15 now to become a Warrior? Wait, I get less cross-class skills if I become a Warrior? Does that mean I should stay as a Marauder?" So I dropped the game again.

The NoClip documentaries that came out around Stormblood got me to try the game again (and start over), and something just clicked this time. Enjoyed doing dungeons way more and I just fell in love with the game.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I've been playing off and on since the beta and didn't even make it to the first dungeon until 2 years ago :v:. It just didn't click at all, I was too used to FFXI. I wanted to like it since it was getting a lot more attention from SE, but I couldn't get into it.

And then it just clicked and I love the game now.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Veotax posted:

Sometimes people in my FC do a thing where some experienced players will take some new players to some extreme/savage fight to give a low pressure environment where people can see what it's like and if they enjoy it. It's how I got my start doing hard content and if your FC does something similar definitely give it a go, you have nothing to lose and maybe you'd like it.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I find Extremes to be a good balance. I don't like grinding the Savage fights for weeks for a single clear.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I was absolutely baffled by the idea of doing a dungeon to keep the campaign going, because WoW doesn't work like that AT ALL. Now I wish WoW did the opposite but you can't change that kind of thing now.

I'll do a dungeon when I'm given one now in WoW as if it was mandatory like FF

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Extremes are cool. They occupy that space of when you realize that normal content is too easy for you and you want something more, but not too much more.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

JuffoWup posted:

Edit: Is there a difference between the 3 free companies on excalibur? Apparently I'm already on that server.

There's four now!

More seriously the primary difference is that TPT has strict spoiler chat rules while the other FCs are more informal "don't talk current patch story and try not to be an rear end if a newbie is present" setups.

I guess also that DGKK and PBC are more long term players and DGKK in particular is extremely active (most active FC on the server usually according to lodestone).

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

tpt has some oldies! I've been around since 2015

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

TheWorldsaStage posted:

tpt has some oldies! I've been around since 2015

Yeah all the FCs have a good mix of experience just saying the older ones unsurprisingly lean towards older players.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Macaluso posted:

I was absolutely baffled by the idea of doing a dungeon to keep the campaign going, because WoW doesn't work like that AT ALL. Now I wish WoW did the opposite but you can't change that kind of thing now.

I'll do a dungeon when I'm given one now in WoW as if it was mandatory like FF

in BFA the dungeons worked similar to FFXIV style, where the dungeon is the capstone of the story of the zone that it's in. except, they're all unlocked from the start, so when i queued in to a random dungeon at launch with my friends the dungeon spoiled the ending of the zone i was still midway through :v:

i quit again pretty soon after that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Veotax posted:

I like figuring out Extremes and Savages, but I don't think I could stand doing them with strangers. Playing with friends on the same page is bearable, even if sometimes it means I'm thinking "why do I keep going with these chucklefucks who can't figure out how to stand near but not inside a circle"?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The most recent Extreme was really annoying to prog with randos back when I was still doing it, as well. Didn't clear it until my Savage static gave it a go, and it was still more complicated than most of the other ones I've done.

My favorite part of doing EXs and Savages is the euphoria of getting to a new mechanic in prog, though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The extra bonus stage phases in savage are one of the main reasons I love them. I hated part 1 prog of 8s but the savage only phase is so insanely cool and fun that I forgive it. Normal modes are cool but they basically never live up to how insanely cool and satisfying their savage counterparts end up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TBH, I don't like that this tier has a door boss, so I kind of disagree, but more in the sense that I don't much like P1 of P8S either, it's kind of a chore.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

What do I do just after unlocking Fire/Blizz III? Use them instead of transpose and then drop first level spells because it's more damage per mana, or keep using them until I switch because it's more damage in a shorter span?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Arist posted:

TBH, I don't like that this tier has a door boss, so I kind of disagree, but more in the sense that I don't much like P1 of P8S either, it's kind of a chore.

Yeah I think door bosses should be as short as exdeath was tbh, prob my biggest complaint with modern design.