Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Empty Sandwich posted:

get your loved ones a pizza axe:

the runes just read "Valhalla gift" in English phonetics, but I'm uh wary of anything with runes these days.

I prefer the original Klingon :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Passed our health inspection, we soft open next week!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
I would be there so fast if I didn't live 3000 miles away

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Got busy for a christmas party for a few work colleagues yesterday night:

Didn't have much time for photos but here's a new one for the rotation:

Brie, potatoes sauteed with sage + rosemary, walnuts, mozz.

The stand-out was a margherita with capers, roasted peppers and zucchini sott'olio, fresh rosemary.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

ogopogo posted:

Congrats and good luck! Post some pics of the opening if you can!

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

ogopogo posted:

hell yes

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

ogopogo posted:

What a saga, incredibly excited for you

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Thanks everyone, it’s truly something I had no idea would happen in this amount of time. We’ve been working hard for a few years and we’re really excited to show off what we’ve got.

Details…

Getting a hang of our NY slice game…

My amazing wife making a pizza. She’s a co-owner in the business and whips so much rear end.

And much appreciation to y’all over the years for all the pizza chat!!

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 4, 2022

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Pretty awesome how fast you went from slinging catered pizzas to a full brick and mortar restaurant

It only took 23 years of the awful forums for a real deal goon success story :woop:

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

grats dude, looks sick

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Thanks y’all, it’s been an amazing few days. We’ve done more business in the first two days than we did in nearly a month at our old spot. I haven’t had much time to do anything but be there and work but here’s a few photos!

Thirst trapping for all the wine moms in our neighborhood.

https://i.imgur.com/j5NiRnF.mp4

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
I would eat pro goon pizza.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

ogopogo posted:

Thanks y’all, it’s been an amazing few days. We’ve done more business in the first two days than we did in nearly a month at our old spot. I haven’t had much time to do anything but be there and work but here’s a few photos!

That oven is a thing of beauty. Congratulations on the opening!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

That's so cool and again I wish I could eat the food

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Congrats ogopogo, that rules

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

ogopogo posted:

drat that looks like a good venue, good oven, good prep station, good staff and good pizza. Going to have to find a work event I can go to in vegas.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
Again with the novice questions after pro posts

If I am making a small poolish, just enough for one batch of dough, and I am not otherwise using the mixer in the meantime, is there a reason I shouldn't just do it all in the mixer bowl?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
After loving up a pizza yesterday when it stuck to the peel, I'm quite amazed at the super pro on/off peel work going on there. This issue is exacerbated by using a ton of flour for my first few pizzas to make sure they didn't stick, and my wife saying 'too much extra flour!', so now I don't want to use tooooo much flour.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I do flour on the dough ball before turning it into a skin and then cornmeal on the (metal) peel. The cornmeal acts like tiny ball bearings.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

After loving up a pizza yesterday when it stuck to the peel, I'm quite amazed at the super pro on/off peel work going on there. This issue is exacerbated by using a ton of flour for my first few pizzas to make sure they didn't stick, and my wife saying 'too much extra flour!', so now I don't want to use tooooo much flour.

Honestly I've made like easily dozens if not 100+ pizzas now in my life and I still have problems with this, I can either put a ton so that it definitely doesn't stick or risk having too little and having it stick

I actually have the magic peel thing but I don't use it a ton because it always gets a lot of char dust on it from the steel whenever I use it and then I feel like I have to launder it every time which would be fine if I made pizza just once but whenever I make dough I have enough to make pizza for like 3-4 days in a row which I feel like I have to do or the sauce/cheese will go bad

Nowadays I've just been using parchment paper, as far as I can tell it doesn't really affect browning at all on the bottom, and actually makes it brown better because you have to put way less flour down. I still make it on the peel but on the parchment paper also and just slide the whole thing in, paper and all

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

they need a peel with a little conveyor belt on it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Stefan Prodan posted:

Honestly I've made like easily dozens if not 100+ pizzas now in my life and I still have problems with this, I can either put a ton so that it definitely doesn't stick or risk having too little and having it stick

I actually have the magic peel thing but I don't use it a ton because it always gets a lot of char dust on it from the steel whenever I use it and then I feel like I have to launder it every time which would be fine if I made pizza just once but whenever I make dough I have enough to make pizza for like 3-4 days in a row which I feel like I have to do or the sauce/cheese will go bad

Nowadays I've just been using parchment paper, as far as I can tell it doesn't really affect browning at all on the bottom, and actually makes it brown better because you have to put way less flour down. I still make it on the peel but on the parchment paper also and just slide the whole thing in, paper and all

ok, gently caress it, I'm going to have to try that next time. Do you make sure the dough slightly overlaps the parchment paper, or do you leave some paper sticking out? Apparently it burns at 420 degrees?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think ogopogo's hand pulls on a mound of semolina or at least that came up with pinsa.

I'm using a metal peel and rarely have sticking issues. My dough is around 65% hydration. I prefer Bob's Red Mill semolina in particular for being fairly fine and well-rounded. If you're topping the pizza on the peel, give the peel some shakes as you go to keep it from sticking in any particular spot. That usually does it.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Semolina and a metal peel solved 90% of my launching issues, I recommend it!

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

redreader posted:

ok, gently caress it, I'm going to have to try that next time. Do you make sure the dough slightly overlaps the parchment paper, or do you leave some paper sticking out? Apparently it burns at 420 degrees?

No haha I just leave a ton of paper sticking out

I've never had a problem with it burning even being on the 550 degree steel, although one time I used the same paper for two pizzas and it did burn to where it kinda fell apart when I touched it but I've never had a problem with it just being on there for a few mins, you can also take out the paper under the pizza after 3-4 minutes once the crust hardens up some

Ishamael posted:

Is a metal peel less sticky than a wooden peel? I have the composite wood thing that came with the magic peel and it seems pretty smooth

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Ishamael posted:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I asked in this thread before I bought a peel like a month ago and I was super sure that one person recommended the conveyor belt and everyone else said 'wood or metal, no difference' so I got wood.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

LifeSunDeath posted:

they need a peel with a little conveyor belt on it.

post right above yours talks about that very thing, a superpeel

i've used mine for like a decade now and still like it a lot

bengy81
May 8, 2010
What kind of temps can a superpeel handle? Looking at the design, I'm guessing 500f, google didn't have an answer for me.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Supposedly wood is better for launching and metal is better for retrieving, but I only have one and it's metal :shrug:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Yeah I thought wood was better for launching too. I never had a big problem with my metal peel though so I didn't bother toying with it.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

redreader posted:

I had some trouble with metal and high hydration dough. Wood works better it seems.

Btw, you get similar problems with not having enough dough strenght, e.g. mixing in flour like spelt tastes great, but you cannot safely do the same thin bottom as with 00.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Ishamael posted:

This for me too, though I found a slotted peel was the better between slotted and not slotted. You can give it a jiggle to shake out any extra semolina/flour from the bottom before launching it.

I can't remember if this is a controversial opinion or not, but I much prefer the texture of semolina when eating it as well. I like that slightly coarse sandpapery crust you get using it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

bengy81 posted:

What kind of temps can a superpeel handle? Looking at the design, I'm guessing 500f, google didn't have an answer for me.

well it shouldnt spend a lot of time touching a hot stone/steel if you do it right. i'm still using the original cloth that came with mine with no burns. i've made several hundred pizzas with it.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

If the dough is too sticky it can be as simple as insufficient kneading and gluten development so it doesn't hold together enough. Beyond that, hydration being too high or flour not having enough protein are big culprits for me.

Using a pizza oven I really don't need very high hydration dough, it still gets good n puffy at 63-65%

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

post right above yours talks about that very thing, a superpeel

i've used mine for like a decade now and still like it a lot

Oh hell yes

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

I haven't had any launching issues since I started dousing the dough ball in semolina before shaping and building the pizza on the peel. I used to build on the work surface and then slide the peel underneath because that's what the pizza man on YouTube said to do, but more often than not it wouldn't transfer cleanly and I'd have to reshape and rearrange the toppings.

Is there any reason not to build on the peel? Is the concern that it'll stick if it sits there for too long?

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Correct. That's why you gotta give it a jiggle every so often. Form your skin, transfer to the peel, build on the peel is a really normal workflow. Build on the counter and transfer to the peel is not, IMO, for exactly the reason you named

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
So, speaking of pizza, I'm looking at the ooni 12" wood or gas fired oven. This one

It isn't pro level but it seems like it will get me where I want without a 3 hour drive to Vegas for ogopogopie. I trust goon opinions more than "top 20 pizza ovens" from Papa John's Pizza Oven Reviews and figured I'd ask before pulling the trigger. This one makes 12" pizzas and it doubles in price if you go to the 16", which I might be tempted to get if I love this one enough (and give it to my mom who has always wanted an outdoor pizza oven).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

El Jebus posted:

So, speaking of pizza, I'm looking at the ooni 12" wood or gas fired oven. This one

It isn't pro level but it seems like it will get me where I want without a 3 hour drive to Vegas for ogopogopie. I trust goon opinions more than "top 20 pizza ovens" from Papa John's Pizza Oven Reviews and figured I'd ask before pulling the trigger. This one makes 12" pizzas and it doubles in price if you go to the 16", which I might be tempted to get if I love this one enough (and give it to my mom who has always wanted an outdoor pizza oven).

I've had pizza out of an Ooni, never used it, but I just bought a Gozney roccbox, which is the same size oven. I was impressed with the pizza from the Ooni, and I've been impressed with the pizza out of my Roccbox. There is a food guy who comes to my neighborhood and sets up with a couple of Ooni's. He will sell 60 pizzas in about two hours (at 15 bux a pop) and I think its as good as anything you would get from a restaurant around here. We have 6 people in our household and 10-12 inch pies has been enough, so far at least, not sure when I would want to cook 16" pies, might be nice for making flatbreads though.