Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

rocket barrage spam is so obnoxious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
This is kind of a weird thing but a buddy of mine who plays off and on started a match, and I thought I'd spectate live with the dotaplus thing so I could help him out a bit, and I saw he lastpicked an awful hero for his lineup and was like "oh dang he's gonna have a real bad time" and went to go watch youtube for a bit because I wasn't that invested. But only like a minute later the dota2 icon on the taskbar starts flashing like someone paused the game, so I tab back in to see what's going on and his ancient has exploded so I assumed someone got mad and ragequit because of his not-great pick. But then he goes "hey why do I have a leaver penalty" and I check the replay for the game and somehow in the replay, he just never picks a hero until he loses all his gold and randoms a completely different hero from the one I just witnessed him picking, getting an abandon.

Does anyone have any idea what could have happened there? Normally I'd assume he was just doing a weird bit but I literally watched him pick one hero while live spectating, and then in the replay he doesn't pick it and gets randomed something completely different.

e: nvm I scrubbed through the replay slower (the improved UI kinda sucks honestly) and what happened was both him and the other player picked the same hero in the last phase and he didn't realize that would ban the hero instead so he just didn't look back at the game at all until he'd lost all his gold and got an abandon, owned.

Geight fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 3, 2022

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Geight posted:

This is kind of a weird thing but a buddy of mine who plays off and on started a match, and I thought I'd spectate live with the dotaplus thing so I could help him out a bit, and I saw he lastpicked an awful hero for his lineup and was like "oh dang he's gonna have a real bad time" and went to go watch youtube for a bit because I wasn't that invested. But only like a minute later the dota2 icon on the taskbar starts flashing like someone paused the game, so I tab back in to see what's going on and his ancient has exploded so I assumed someone got mad and ragequit because of his not-great pick. But then he goes "hey why do I have a leaver penalty" and I check the replay for the game and somehow in the replay, he just never picks a hero until he loses all his gold and randoms a completely different hero from the one I just witnessed him picking, getting an abandon.

Does anyone have any idea what could have happened there? Normally I'd assume he was just doing a weird bit but I literally watched him pick one hero while live spectating, and then in the replay he doesn't pick it and gets randomed something completely different.

Did he pick and then go AFK? Generally, if two people pick the same hero the hero is banned and you have to pick again. If he wasn't there he'd eventually random and get an abandon. That's the only thing that comes to mind.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Yeah he picked and then just didn't look back at the game for like a solid minute I guess.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

lol owned

dota

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I don’t go for a pee until I know my hero is locked in. Strategy time? That’s for nerds and tryhards.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Mr.Acula posted:

this game makes me want to shoot myself in the face

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I had a pos 5 CM rush Midas. Thankfully we lost in 19 minutes, but they ended the game with tranqs and 1500 in the bank.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Oodles posted:

I had a pos 5 CM rush Midas. Thankfully we lost in 19 minutes, but they ended the game with tranqs and 1500 in the bank.

Thats not super uncommon but also not ideal depending on the circumstances.

Were they warding at all (I already know the answer to this)

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was a 5 CM the other day and the 1 Bloodseeker insisted I rush a Midas. Doubt I've ever built one on her before that.

And then the enemy Zeus abandoned :argh:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

The cavern crawl is causing me to play a bunch of heroes I have absolutely no business attempting. But at least it's Turbo so sorry to everyone for being garbage poo poo but I need to unlock those nodes bro

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Syrinxx posted:

The cavern crawl is causing me to play a bunch of heroes I have absolutely no business attempting. But at least it's Turbo so sorry to everyone for being garbage poo poo but I need to unlock those nodes bro

currently 0-6 on KotL in Diretide but he unlocks three nodes for me right now so sorry not sorry to my teammates

Ravus
Jan 15, 2009

Syrinxx posted:

I wish they'd be more like HOTS in this regard and let us shitlers grind out stupid quests vs bots. It's no fun for anyone...

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Making your teammates lose is a good thing and they deserve it

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Learning new heros is good

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

At least a lot of the weekly quests can be done vs bots.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Playing new heroes is good and it’s what turbo should be for anyway

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The "social glue" from my 3/4/5 stack started playing again, so we've been group queueing a bunch the last few nights and GOD WE ARE SO BAD. I like hanging out with them, but we have zero coordination, we never go into a queue with any kind of plan, everyone just spit balls ideas about what we should do mid-game and then we don't accomplish anything because we're debating what the right call is. Getting stomped one game, defending high ground and we finally wipe them and even got a dieback I think, and I'm begging them all to push while 2 run off to farm and 1 is like "Should we Rosh?"

Also maybe this is just me/ADHD thing but I always forget who is playing what so if someone says "I'm coming" I have no idea what hero that is and where they're going. Maybe if we all generally played the same roles from game to game it'd be less of a problem but I feel like we just communicate in... not a negative manner, no one's lovely to each other, but certainly not in any way that I'd describe as useful lol.

I'm not really sure what the "solution" is. I don't know if everyone is content to just gently caress around or if people want to actually try to play good DOTA. I suppose I need to just ask that next time we all hop in a party? Do you need a full 5 to do Ranked Captain's mode? 4K hours and I virtually only ever play Unranked All Pick :shrug:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

Sab669 posted:

The "social glue" from my 3/4/5 stack started playing again, so we've been group queueing a bunch the last few nights and GOD WE ARE SO BAD. I like hanging out with them, but we have zero coordination, we never go into a queue with any kind of plan, everyone just spit balls ideas about what we should do mid-game and then we don't accomplish anything because we're debating what the right call is. Getting stomped one game, defending high ground and we finally wipe them and even got a dieback I think, and I'm begging them all to push while 2 run off to farm and 1 is like "Should we Rosh?"

Also maybe this is just me/ADHD thing but I always forget who is playing what so if someone says "I'm coming" I have no idea what hero that is and where they're going. Maybe if we all generally played the same roles from game to game it'd be less of a problem but I feel like we just communicate in... not a negative manner, no one's lovely to each other, but certainly not in any way that I'd describe as useful lol.

I'm not really sure what the "solution" is. I don't know if everyone is content to just gently caress around or if people want to actually try to play good DOTA. I suppose I need to just ask that next time we all hop in a party? Do you need a full 5 to do Ranked Captain's mode? 4K hours and I virtually only ever play Unranked All Pick :shrug:

play ranked all pick with roles instead? also in my experience 2-3 stack is ideal. every time i've been part of a 5 stack, my team defaults to comfort picks or someone is cavern crawling so we end up with no synergy while the other team has combos galore and can actually play together so we get stomped

also i wish my friend who is like 1.5k mmr higher than me would realize that when we're teamed up, sure the opposing team is lower overall skill than his solo games, but also the enemy's highest mmr player is probably playing a hero they're good at so stop picking heroes you've never played then getting mad that our team can't win while our random teammates flame you for account buying

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ranked Role Pick might help, or at least help me remember who is playing what :v: I kinda like the idea of Captain's Mode though as then I can suggest, "The Captain makes the calls".

I'm not actually sure who amongst us is "the best player" / highest MMR. 1 of the 5 of us is obviously the best IMO, although he plays with the rest of us the least often, so among the ~4 of us I'm not sure who is best. And yea I guess when it's like just 2-3 of us I don't necessarily "mind" our general dumb chicanery as much because we're dealing with 2 or 3 pubbies who we can't communicate with as effectively, but when it's 4 I wish we were a little more serious.

We played and lost three games as a 4 stack last night:
https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/6903869080 - Apparently we won both side lanes but looking at charts at the bottom the other team was ahead by all metrics the whole game.

https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/6903828654 - Again apparently we won both side lanes and we were ahead for a while, we just took their Mid T2 and I pointed out their Mirana was behind us which Troll took to mean "Lets go find that Mirana" and we failed to take Mid T3 / maybe even Rax while Spectre was dead. I don't think we won a single fight after that.

https://www.dotabuff.com/matches/6903800777 - And this one we just didn't punish the Arc at all. Started out okay enough but then Razor & Arc got huge and that's that. Also their Pudge was actually really really good, just hanging out in the back lines to Hook & Dismember whichever Ally of his we'd go onn.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That decision paralysis sounds very familiar, I’ve gotten the same thing with my friends when we 5stack.

There is one of my group who is like 1500-2000 mmr above the rest and I wish he’d just make calls with confidence that the rest of us could follow but he doesn’t want to do that so yeah

Often (especially at our low mmr) I feel like it’s more important that we make a decision quickly and all commit to it than that we make a perfectly correct decision. Doing 3 different things after winning a team fight usually means that none of those things get done successfully.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Especially when those three things are to revert back over our side of the river to hit creep camps.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
when did this razor bloodstone build get discovered? seems pretty strong the few times i've seen it

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
basically right after 7.32d because of the small buff to razor's shard

33 pioneered it, to no one's surprise

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Seems like the best ways to deal with it are burst, break, and vessel, right? Or do those not do enough?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
the razor version is extremely broken, not sure there is a great post-draft counter but he's still really bad against illusion and zoo (and drow apparently)

players are starting to use the <tank item>->bloodstone on other heroes though, like bat and viper

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

I play pos 5, and even I think I could do better than this dropkick.

We went against a night stalker. So jugg would wander in, be silenced, and die.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

emdash posted:

the razor version is extremely broken, not sure there is a great post-draft counter but he's still really bad against illusion and zoo (and drow apparently)

players are starting to use the <tank item>->bloodstone on other heroes though, like bat and viper

Yea, seems like Drow's Shard is a pretty good counter with the Heal reduction on Frost Arrows.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Mr.Acula posted:

this game makes me want to shoot myself in the face

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

then stop playing

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

IcePhoenix posted:

Seems like the best ways to deal with it are burst, break, and vessel, right? Or do those not do enough?

Buy mage slayer; it is an insanely good counter. Turn it into blood thorn later because this razor build does not want to buy BKB until as late as possible.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Oodles posted:

I play pos 5, and even I think I could do better than this dropkick.

We went against a night stalker. So jugg would wander in, be silenced, and die.

lmao woops all farming items!!!

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

His mistake was no Midas before boots

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

He wandered into a fight vs a night stalker who just popped silence and he couldn’t do anything.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Oodles posted:

He wandered into a fight vs a night stalker who just popped silence and he couldn’t do anything.

B...b...b...muh blade fury

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Don’t be silly, we popped bladefury to speed up getting to them.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

The amount of times ive asked Juggernauts to buy BKB because they keep getting stun locked or silence and they just ping blade fury....it makes me want to play carry tbh but then i get stuck with supports who dont want to support

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
jugg with bkb is fun, no one expects you to be spell immune for that long and unlike blade fury immunity, you can ult during bkb

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I got a rampage in 2 games back to back last night, that's a first. I still lost in one of those games though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Nfcknblvbl posted:

I got a rampage in 2 games back to back last night, that's a first. I still lost in one of those games though.

Rrrrrrrampage!!!