Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

Len posted:

gently caress Great Lakes Borrower Service they deserve to die.
I really like the emails they have sent me about "While You Don't Have to Make Payments Now, Feel Free to Still Send Us Money" and the follow up "Since You Will Have to Pay Us Soon, Here is An Email About How to Use your Online Account" These wonderful people accused me of lying about my income and called in my loans against me like 8 years ago. The very wonderful loan officer I spoke to forced me to send about 3 years worth of proof of income, even though they had access to my tax returns. Once he got the paperwork he was like "Oh wow you really are that low income. Yeah we can pause them but you will continue to incur interest." I'm now in a much better place financially and if/when they give me 10k forgiveness I am calling those loving vampires and paying off my remainder right there on the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
When you do that make sure you negotiate because a lot of student loan places will happily take sometimes half just to have that big chunk of money and forgive the rest.

Just keep in mind that what they forgive typically has to be listed as income on your taxes.

Edit - I should also note that this has a better chance of working if you have not paid in a long time, are in default, or are still low income.

Beefed Owl fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 30, 2022

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Slugworth posted:

The longer the pause goes, the more it sure seems like nothing would fall apart if we just cancelled all student debt permanently.

It’s a bit like Comcast removing their data cap when the pandemic began. They made an announcement about how after having the cap removed for a year, nothing broke, proving we don’t need a data cap… Immediately before announcing the cap was coming back and they were taking away one of the free overages per year.

Just keeping that in mind for the “turns out people not paying their student debt doesn’t hurt anyway, but….” announcement

B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://mobile.twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1598156247060348928

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Trump appointee of loving course

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This is a different case from the main one on the 8th circuit. They basically said, "The Supreme Court is already going to hear one case and we'll just kick it up to them so they can combine the cases."

Basically, in the same situation as before where the Supreme Court has to decide whether they expedite it or not. If they do, then it could be resolved in 2 or 3 months. If they don't, then it could be 6 or 7 months.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

:gas:

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Edited for being a butt head

Astrochicken fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 1, 2022

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Reminder to not threadshit here or you'll get your own pause. In posting. Of at least six hours.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Still not concerned about this I'm not surprised but all it's doing is kicking the can further down the road Biden is within his authority to do this The thing I don't like is that they keep saying it costs taxpayers $400 billion dollars It doesn't It isn't tied into the budget.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Beefed Owl posted:

Still not concerned about this I'm not surprised but all it's doing is kicking the can further down the road Biden is within his authority to do this The thing I don't like is that they keep saying it costs taxpayers $400 billion dollars It doesn't It isn't tied into the budget.

But that's 400 billion less we can pump into planes and boats

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009

Len posted:

But that's 400 billion less we can pump into planes and boats

Don't forget tanks, lots of tanks.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Len posted:

But that's 400 billion less we can pump into planes and boatsbillionaire offshore accounts.

I fixed this for you.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Beefed Owl posted:

When you do that make sure you negotiate because a lot of student loan places will happily take sometimes half just to have that big chunk of money and forgive the rest.

Just keep in mind that what they forgive typically has to be listed as income on your taxes.

Edit - I should also note that this has a better chance of working if you have not paid in a long time, are in default, or are still low income.

Asfaik This really only works if you’re in collections and have so many insane fees you’re only negotiating to get back closer to your principle. Your original servicer will do everything in their power to make you pay them interest for 30 years

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

That's very possible, they won't cut you a break if you only haven't been paying in like the last 6 months. Also if it is purely a fed loan I don't think you can negotiate those down but you can negotiate payments with them without having to go through the shithole process of trying to prove your income every 6 months if you haven't been paying for a long time. As far as I know part of this deal includes allowing students to renegotiate their payment plans so they don't have to pay $400 a month if they can't, while also keeping them from putting it all towards interest so that you never pay down the principle balance.

I remember seeing a thing a couple years ago where someone had $80,000 in student debt was paying $400 a month for it and the interest was so high that it only paid the interest and they would literally never pay off the loan.

Our education system is so loving cool.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Beefed Owl posted:

That's very possible, they won't cut you a break if you only haven't been paying in like the last 6 months. Also if it is purely a fed loan I don't think you can negotiate those down but you can negotiate payments with them without having to go through the shithole process of trying to prove your income every 6 months if you haven't been paying for a long time. As far as I know part of this deal includes allowing students to renegotiate their payment plans so they don't have to pay $400 a month if they can't, while also keeping them from putting it all towards interest so that you never pay down the principle balance.

I remember seeing a thing a couple years ago where someone had $80,000 in student debt was paying $400 a month for it and the interest was so high that it only paid the interest and they would literally never pay off the loan.

Our education system is so loving cool.

An underdiscussed part of the Biden Plan (for lack of a better name) is that IDR plans will result in smaller monthly payments and IIRC the interest cannot exceed principle or won't add to principle or something like that.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Neito posted:

An underdiscussed part of the Biden Plan (for lack of a better name) is that IDR plans will result in smaller monthly payments and IIRC the interest cannot exceed principle or won't add to principle or something like that.

The IDR details are in the OP.

They increase the amount of money that is considered "non-discretionary" up to around $34k. So, only your income above that counts when determining your income. They also lower the amount required from 10% to 5% of disposable income and the government will cover any interest on the loan that your new income-based payment doesn't cover.

The full info:

New IDR Loan Type:

Probably the stealth biggest change of the forgiveness isn't the forgiveness itself, but the new IDR loan type. If you still have federal student loans after forgiveness or get a new student loan in the future, then you will be able to enroll in a new IDR loan plan that caps your payments at 5% of your discretionary income above ~$33k. These loans can also be forgiven after 10 years if your balance is at $12k or less after 10 years of payments. The government will cover all interest that your payment does not cover, so your loan total will never go up.

Graduate loans still have a cap of 10% of your discretionary income, but they also receive the new ~$33k floor for "non-discretionary income" that is exempt. If you have both graduate and undergrad loans, then the % you pay is an average between 5% and 9% depending on what the balance of your loans are.

The new IDR plan will be available to everyone with a federally held student loan in the Summer of 2023.

IDR Details:

quote:

For undergraduate loans, cut in half the amount that borrowers have to pay each month from 10% to 5% of discretionary income.

Raise the amount of income that is considered non-discretionary income and therefore is protected from repayment, guaranteeing that no borrower earning under 225% of the federal poverty level—about the annual equivalent of a $15 minimum wage for a single borrower—will have to make a monthly payment.

Forgive loan balances after 10 years of payments, instead of 20 years, for borrowers with original loan balances of $12,000 or less. The Department of Education estimates that this reform will allow nearly all community college borrowers to be debt-free within 10 years.

Cover the borrower’s unpaid monthly interest, so that unlike other existing income-driven repayment plans, no borrower’s loan balance will grow as long as they make their monthly payments—even when that monthly payment is $0 because their income is low.

quote:

These reforms would simplify loan repayment and deliver significant savings to low- and middle-income borrowers. For example:

A typical single construction worker (making $38,000 a year) with a construction management credential would pay only $31 a month, compared to the $147 they pay now under the most recent income-driven repayment plan, for annual savings of nearly $1,400.

A typical single public school teacher with an undergraduate degree (making $44,000 a year) would pay only $56 a month on their loans, compared to the $197 they pay now under the most recent income-driven repayment plan, for annual savings of nearly $1,700.

A typical nurse (making $77,000 a year) who is married with two kids would pay only $61 a month on their undergraduate loans, compared to the $295 they pay now under the most recent income-driven repayment plan, for annual savings of more than $2,800.

quote:

For each of these borrowers, their balances would not grow as long as they are making their monthly payments, and their remaining debt would be forgiven after they make the required number of qualifying payments.

Further, the Department of Education will make it easier for borrowers who enroll in this new plan to stay enrolled. Starting in the summer of 2023, borrowers will be able to allow the Department of Education to automatically pull their income information year after year, avoiding the hassle of needing to recertify their income annually.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

SCOTUS agreed to take the student loan case and expedite a decision.

Court case starts in February.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the supreme court that killed roe sure as gently caress ain't gonna ok any kind of student debt cancellation lmao

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They just want to kill it even faster now that Biden delayed payments again.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

ethanol posted:

They just want to kill it even faster now that Biden delayed payments again.

Didn’t SCOTUS twice now have the opportunity to stall student loans with two other cases but didn’t? Unless im recounting this wrong

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

From the NY Times article (probably paywalled) on this:

quote:

Since March 2020, most borrowers have been able to skip payments under a coronavirus relief measure that began under President Donald J. Trump and was extended multiple times, including under President Biden. Last week, the Biden administration again extended the pause on payments, pushing them until as late as September.

September? I thought it was until July 2023.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

From the NY Times article (probably paywalled) on this:

September? I thought it was until July 2023.

It’s 3 months after the courts resolve the case or if not completed by June, 3 more months after that. So Septemberish

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

I don't know why any response to 'taxpayer dollars' isn't immediately just pointing out the Fed printed like 12+ trillion over 2 years to prop up the rich ghouls, but less than 10% of that going to the non super rich is suddenly this insurmountable burden on the 'taxpayer', specifically.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

So apparently the supreme Court is going to keep the block on the debt relief they're supposed to look at it in February and have a decision by June.

And Republicans wonder why they lost the youth vote.

naem
May 29, 2011

they can’t die soon enough

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Apologies if this was already clarified, but is the current court case to discuss whether the entire motion is invalid, or just the loan forgiveness part? Because the IDR changes are where the real gold is for me.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

My understanding is it is tied together but I hope not because if I can't get the 10k the IDR would help get me back on track.

Why couldn't I have been born in a grown up country where they value education.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Welp. Seems clear that the SCOTUS is going to find a way, somehow, to say that the people who want to block the program have standing, clearing the way to then be pointlessly evil on the merits.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I was tortured on the direct orders of a US CEO so that more rainforest could be burned down for slave mining interests: NO STANDING
It hurt my feefees when I see someone else get something that I don’t: STANDING

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Beefed Owl posted:

And Republicans wonder why they lost the youth vote.

I know it's fun to blame the gop for everything but democrats had complete control for two years, chose to do nothing, then let biden make an edict he knew wouldn't pass judicial muster to get votes in midterm elections. Both sides suck here but I'd put more on the democrats at this point.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
Does anybody have a read on whether the suits being brought by the Republicans will also affect PSLF, or does it just target the general debt forgiveness?

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

The Cubelodyte posted:

Does anybody have a read on whether the suits being brought by the Republicans will also affect PSLF, or does it just target the general debt forgiveness?

PSLF was explicitly enacted by legislation 15 years ago and is uncontroversial, so no, it is safe.

The student loan debt forgiveness is on shakier legal ground, and we've been counting perhaps too much on the idea/hope that there would be no one with standing to complain in court so that any case against it would never reach the merits.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

ChesterJT posted:

I know it's fun to blame the gop for everything but democrats had complete control for two years, chose to do nothing, then let biden make an edict he knew wouldn't pass judicial muster to get votes in midterm elections. Both sides suck here but I'd put more on the democrats at this point.

This is still an incredibly disingenuous point, at no point did they have complete, incontestable control.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

I'm going to go ahead and put the blame on the party's judges that are trying to stop it instead of the party that put the effort forward.

Besides the youth turnout based on exit polling was entirely motivated by the Dobbs decision and threats to democracy student loans was barely a factor.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
But both sides are bad :cry:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Corn Glizzy posted:

This is still an incredibly disingenuous point, at no point did they have complete, incontestable control.

That was an absolutely 100% accurate point. You can choose to ignore reality to keep blaming your boogeyman for everything if you want. Keep that blue wave going, it's obviously working great.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Okay, that's enough political arguing and venting in the thread for now. Again, this is primarily intended as an informational thread, not an arena for yelling at each other about politics.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Even though my debt is small compared to many removing just that minimum 10k would be huge for my family. I’m so sick of systemic punishment!

I wonder if anyone in debt has legal recourse to successfully challenge any of the people trying to block this. Of course those people don’t have the money to retain legal counsel, and I’m sure those working against forgiveness know that.

Frankly I’m not paying a drat dime after working through an entire pandemic as an essential worker who is STILL exposed to disease on the daily. Too bad I don’t have the money to go to lawyering school because I refuse to believe there isn’t a class action waiting to happen with how all my peers were treated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
WINTER IS COMING
https://twitter.com/StrikeDebt/status/1599204815367593985