Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

My favorite part of the fatalities in modern mortal kombat is the introspection they inspire. It really makes the story feel more grounded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

the rat fandom posted:

My favorite part of the fatalities in modern mortal kombat is the introspection they inspire. It really makes the story feel more grounded.

When I pulled Sub-zero's spine out of his body I remember thinking my god what have I become.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

Beastie posted:

Yeah the camera is too close in general. Fighting off multiple enemies is a poo poo show

A lot of folks (Kotaku's reviewer included) seem to think you need to dodge in a specific direction to evade a specific arm. Nope just make sure you're hitting some direction.

I like the game a lot, I'm a Dead Space fiend (1 and 2) but there are a ton of QoL things that this game needs. It doesn't need to be more like Dead Space. But if the camera is that close then let me have a quick turn button.

I saw Maximillian get into a fight with chat over it. Was pretty entertaining.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

the last of us is a breeding ground for all the worst traits in this entire medium. radioactive crater of a franchise

Can’t blame a masterpiece for its pale imitators

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

the rat fandom posted:

The immersion is shattered when you literally see your opponent's spine break into dust in slow-motion x-ray, and then they just get back up with 10% less health.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Oxxidation posted:

i don't mind gore but putting all this effort into basically cg snuff can't be good for the developers

I'm pretty sure I remember reading an article about how some of the Mortal Kombat Devs are starting to get PTSD symptoms and needing therapy.

Yup, found it

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/05/one_mortal_kombat_11_developer_had_to_see_a_therapist_after_violent_dreams

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Oxxidation posted:

the last of us is a breeding ground for all the worst traits in this entire medium. radioactive crater of a franchise

great games

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Vampire Survivors: What am I supposed to be spending gold on if I've already unlocked drat near all characters and bonus stats from the main menu?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BisterdDave posted:

Vampire Survivors: What am I supposed to be spending gold on if I've already unlocked drat near all characters and bonus stats from the main menu?

golden eggs

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Escobarbarian posted:

But it's a pale imitation of re4

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Tsietisin posted:

I'm pretty sure I remember reading an article about how some of the Mortal Kombat Devs are starting to get PTSD symptoms and needing therapy.
even weirder once you unlock the, uh, concept art the leads made for the fatalities with red crayon
"and then it goes like, whoooosh *intense scribbling* now go watch liveleak for five hours to make this happen or you're fired"

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Oxxidation posted:

it's only recently that death animations have tried to do things like realistically imitate torn meat/mutilated tissue (dead space famously had character models that seemed flimsy as styrofoam). i think the more recent mortal kombat games were the pioneers

i don't mind gore but putting all this effort into basically cg snuff can't be good for the developers

In respect to its spiritual forbear, Calypso Protocol has an achievement for seeing all the death animations and locked 16 of them behind ghe season pass.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

In respect to its spiritual forbear, Calypso Protocol has an achievement for seeing all the death animations and locked 16 of them behind ghe season pass.

Usually these sorts of cheevos only count what's available in the base game. Or it's a cheevo that's tied to the DLC in question and not part of the 1000/Platinum.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Callisto Protocol has an achievement for beating the game on the hardest difficulty, but once you beat the final boss, you can just set the difficulty to the hardest setting and get the achievement that way.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think there was some sort of misunderstanding last week and a few sites ran with that info

https://twitter.com/GlenSchofield/status/1595513458618818560?s=20&t=NC-vKqf2lRvMPM727OPJSQ

I put in about 4 more hours last night. The game is certainly starting to get a bit repetitive. But I'm bigly into sci-fi like this so its been interesting so far. The visuals keep impressing me. The very opening level was one of the few games of this gen were I was gobsmacked when I first loaded in. Complete "wow" moment.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I don't understand how space station corridor jumpscare games are genre. Who's asking for this?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Dead Space fans.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Seltzer posted:

I don't understand how space station corridor jumpscare games are genre. Who's asking for this?

People that saw Alien

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

The Illusive Man posted:

Do you play with a flight stick on Xbox or do you use a controller?

I’d like to play more Flight Sim on my couch but never loved the feel of the controller and can’t convince myself to buy a HOTAS for it.

I play using a controller with realistic settings on, and it actually works pretty well for planes and gliders (helis I suckass at though). The default button assignments for elevator, rudders, throttle, and flaps are good. I set some additional buttons for turning auto pilot on and off, setting altimeter, prop control, fuel pump. You can use RB+button for a lot of the extra stuff you might want access to. For everything else you can activate cursor and select it directly from within the cockpit.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I don't remember and Google's being a bit unhelpful — are there any default Flight Sim settings that amount to "I have no interest in simulation, I am babby and I just want to taunt God and fly around awesome environments as easily as possible"? Or any guides on the best way to go about laying that out?

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

The best game to come out of sony was shadow of the colossus, and that was nearly 20 years ago. Its been downhill ever since.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I've never played any of the older Tomb Raider games, but since finishing up the reboot trilogy recently (currently working my way through the SOTTR DLC tombs), I kinda wanna try them out now. Good idea, or am I setting myself up for diappointment? If not, is there one specifically that I should play first that's sorta similar to the reboot games and is available on the Xbox? I've played the Guardian of Light and Temple of Osiris on PC and those were pretty fun, but I know those aren't at all like the mainline games.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

Toaster Beef posted:

I don't remember and Google's being a bit unhelpful — are there any default Flight Sim settings that amount to "I have no interest in simulation, I am babby and I just want to taunt God and fly around awesome environments as easily as possible"? Or any guides on the best way to go about laying that out?

There are a ton of assistance options, most on by default, that make flying way easier. One of the assistance options also turns crashing and damage off. You can also start in the air immediately if you don't start at a runway. If you still want to takeoff, starting on a runway has your plane already started up and ready to go.

And there are discovery flights that start you already in some of the best looking areas, so you don't have to go searching.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

jasoneatspizza posted:

There are a ton of assistance options, most on by default, that make flying way easier. One of the assistance options also turns crashing and damage off. You can also start in the air immediately if you don't start at a runway. If you still want to takeoff, starting on a runway has your plane already started up and ready to go.

And there are discovery flights that start you already in some of the best looking areas, so you don't have to go searching.

Nice, thanks. I remember some of this, but it's been a while. I dove back in briefly through the cloud to try flying a helicopter but that Did Not Go Well.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like that crazy multirotor thing in flight sim. It’s slow as hell and hard to get into trouble with :haw:

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

jasoneatspizza posted:

I play using a controller with realistic settings on, and it actually works pretty well for planes and gliders (helis I suckass at though). The default button assignments for elevator, rudders, throttle, and flaps are good. I set some additional buttons for turning auto pilot on and off, setting altimeter, prop control, fuel pump. You can use RB+button for a lot of the extra stuff you might want access to. For everything else you can activate cursor and select it directly from within the cockpit.

is there an easy way to switch the halo plane between flight and hover modes? i just want to fly to places i know and then quickly hover above them but i trust to get good enough to do it naturally

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I like flying the Top Gun plane. Makes me feel powerful.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

teagone posted:

I've never played any of the older Tomb Raider games, but since finishing up the reboot trilogy recently (currently working my way through the SOTTR DLC tombs), I kinda wanna try them out now. Good idea, or am I setting myself up for diappointment? If not, is there one specifically that I should play first that's sorta similar to the reboot games and is available on the Xbox? I've played the Guardian of Light and Temple of Osiris on PC and those were pretty fun, but I know those aren't at all like the mainline games.

Legend and Underworld are the closest probably, made by much of the same people as the reboots. More 'classic' level design but with a modern (at the time) take on gameplay mechanics.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Howdy Xbox goons. I picked up a Series S today because they're on sale. I have been out of the Xbox ecosystem since the 360 days so it's been a while.

From what I understand there's some conversion trick to getting cheap Gamepass. Can someone give me the run down on this? Pretend I'm an old person and don't know anything about computers.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jose Oquendo posted:

Howdy Xbox goons. I picked up a Series S today because they're on sale. I have been out of the Xbox ecosystem since the 360 days so it's been a while.

From what I understand there's some conversion trick to getting cheap Gamepass. Can someone give me the run down on this? Pretend I'm an old person and don't know anything about computers.

Buy a year of Xbox Gold FIRST, or stack up to 3 years of it (codes go for roughly $60/year, I get mine either from Amazon or Walmart). After adding Gold to your account, purchase 1-month of Xbox Game Pass Ultimate to upgrade your Gold at a 1:1 ratio. For you it might only be $1 for a month of GPU, but for previous/existing GPU users it's $15. After adding 1-month of GPU to your account it will convert your 3 years of Gold into 3 years of GPU. Enjoy!

For more details see here: https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftRewards/comments/ly0ss7/game_pass_ultimate_at_the_best_value/

[edit] As an aside, I've rarely bought Xbox Gold/GPU codes and have been endlessly extending my Game Pass Ultimate sub using Microsoft Rewards points ever since I got my first Xbox back in 2019 lol. The reddit link above details how you can cycle a Game Pass Ultimate subscription using ONLY MS reward points, which is what I've been doing -- redeeming Walmart/Amazon gift card codes using MS reward points and using the gift card balance to purchase Gold and converting Gold to GPU after spending MS reward points on a month of GPU.

The spread is 63,000 points on gift cards and 12,000 points on a month of Game Pass Ultimate so basically the conversion rate is 75,000 MS rewards points = 1 year of Game Pass Ultimate. You can rack up 75k reward points pretty easily within a year doing the bing dailies/searches and claiming stuff in the MS Rewards Xbox app.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 3, 2022

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

TR Underworld was hella cool

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Ruffian Price posted:

TR Underworld was hella cool

I just saw I have TR Anniversary, TR Legend, and TR Underworld on my Steam account. I don't remember when I added those to my Steam library, lmao. I guess I'll prolly pick them up to have them on my Xbox as well on the off chance they go on sale.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Seltzer posted:

Games in space stations ftw.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
space station horror means being sealed in claustrophobic lived-in environments full of dark spaces and hideaways, with nothing outside but ten billion trillion miles of freezing empty death. it's fertile territory

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

HOTAS chat:
One thing to note is if you're playing Flight Sim(or any other game that supports HOTAS) on cloud gaming, the fight stick doesn't work. Apparently you have to download any game that uses them to your Xbox.

I thought I got a bad set because I wanted to try out flight Sim before filling up an eighth of my ssd with one game.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

teagone posted:

I just saw I have TR Anniversary, TR Legend, and TR Underworld on my Steam account. I don't remember when I added those to my Steam library, lmao. I guess I'll prolly pick them up to have them on my Xbox as well on the off chance they go on sale.

Those three are "fine" but their age will show, particularly in how restrictive some older design was. My go-to in explaining this is that many, many games across the decades have moving block puzzles where you have to move blocks around to climb up on something, but somewhere in the 360(?) era the method changed from dragging/pushing blocks in linear paths to being able to drag them any which way, making them far less annoying.

The older TR games are likely to have the old way, versus the modern ones having the new, and there are a lot of other advances that have taken hold since then.

Another one that I actually noticed first in Tomb Raider (or Rise) was that if you got a collectable and then died at some point where the checkpoint would push you "before" that sequence, the game still counted that collectable as being done - a big way of respecting the player's time. The older TR games will not respect your time.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
There is some extremely amateur sounding vo in nfs unbound. Like performance and quality of the capture itself.

That being said it’s a great stoner zone-in/out racer so far.

In any case all Covid games should be $49.99 max. I’m still having flashbacks of the vo performances in Watch Dogs Legion.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Jose Oquendo posted:

Nice one Jose. Enjoy.

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

teagone posted:

The spread is 63,000 points on gift cards and 12,000 points on a month of Game Pass Ultimate so basically the conversion rate is 75,000 MS rewards points = 1 year of Game Pass Ultimate. You can rack up 75k reward points pretty easily within a year doing the bing dailies/searches and claiming stuff in the MS Rewards Xbox app.
I'm imagining someone who would rather do "bing dailies" than pay like a dollar per week, and it is not a pretty picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Omon Ra posted:

I'm imagining someone who would rather do "bing dailies" than pay like a dollar per week, and it is not a pretty picture.
Where are you finding Game Pass Ultimate for a dollar a week