Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
There’s a vägval gubbe who lives down the street from me in Traneberg. Of course he drives a dodge ram 1500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

ted hitler hunter posted:

Is it positive for the Armenians? Do they matter? Does their democracy matter? Is it positive for the oppressed people in Azerbaijan who wants a democratic Azerbaijan? Does their yearning for a democratic country matter?

Lol

The posting

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Scroll up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Megamissen posted:

and replacing russia with azerbajdzjan is... not exactly an improvement on the whole 'dictatorship attacking a democracy' front

So Azerbaijan expects a 40% increase in gas sales to the EU in 2022.

https://www.rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/europe-turns-azerbaijan-gas-how-big-could-be

How much is that, I wonder?

In 2021, Azerbaijan was 2% of EU gas. So this will mean they go up to.... 2.8%.

https://interfax.com/newsroom/top-stories/83282/#:~:text=Supplies%20of%20gas%20from%20Azerbaijan,by%20the%20Azerbaijani%20Energy%20Ministry.

Meanwhile Russia was 45% of EU imports in 2021 and crashed in 2022.

Azerbaijan's 0.8% share increase isn't replacing Russia's 45% share.

Could you all do some *homework* before making these sort of arguments?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

No-one has claimed that, so perhaps you should do your own.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The actual issue is that, on a global scale and also in Europe, energy consumption is more or less the same, and that goes for production as well, more or less. So the real effect is that Russia has a smaller market to sell to for lower prices, while all the other petrostates can sell for higher prices because Europe is willing to pay. This means that Europe is gonna buy oil and gas that poorer nations would have bought before, but then those nations can probably get a better deal with Russia than they could last year.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

No-one has claimed that, so perhaps you should do your own.

SplitSoul posted:

European LNG imports from Russia have increased by 46%, though.

https://www.politico.eu/article/russia-gas-europe-lng-putin/

SplitSoul posted:

Showing the Russians who's boss by buying the same product from them more expensively or through intermediary dictatorships.

You wrote this, which sure reads like you are saying that the EU is buying more gas from Russia now than before, which it does not. Stop writing bad posts stuffed with allusions if you don't want them to be misunderstood and called out for being dumb.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

BonHair posted:

The actual issue is that, on a global scale and also in Europe, energy consumption is more or less the same, and that goes for production as well, more or less. So the real effect is that Russia has a smaller market to sell to for lower prices, while all the other petrostates can sell for higher prices because Europe is willing to pay. This means that Europe is gonna buy oil and gas that poorer nations would have bought before, but then those nations can probably get a better deal with Russia than they could last year.

Yeah, the great solution would be to replace the current dumb as gently caress system of "everything is built on top of fossile fuels" with "not that". Instead we just re-up from other dealers.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The good news is that prices are going up, which makes alternatives more attractive. The bad news is that the increase in price is partly due to increased transport costs. Also the current political climate in regards to nuclear and renewable investments.

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Rust Martialis posted:

So Azerbaijan expects a 40% increase in gas sales to the EU in 2022.

https://www.rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/europe-turns-azerbaijan-gas-how-big-could-be

How much is that, I wonder?

In 2021, Azerbaijan was 2% of EU gas. So this will mean they go up to.... 2.8%.

https://interfax.com/newsroom/top-stories/83282/#:~:text=Supplies%20of%20gas%20from%20Azerbaijan,by%20the%20Azerbaijani%20Energy%20Ministry.

Meanwhile Russia was 45% of EU imports in 2021 and crashed in 2022.

Azerbaijan's 0.8% share increase isn't replacing Russia's 45% share.

Could you all do some *homework* before making these sort of arguments?

not what i meant but i did phrase it poorly, buying more from azerbajdzjan is done with the intention of reducing buys from russia

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Zudgemud posted:

You wrote this, which sure reads like you are saying that the EU is buying more gas from Russia now than before, which it does not. Stop writing bad posts stuffed with allusions if you don't want them to be misunderstood and called out for being dumb.

I don't teach remedial English. I will, however, apologize for assuming more people were familiar with the differences between LNG and the gas that used to flow through the pipelines that blew up rather spectacularly or were shut off due to non-payment, events which did not somehow manage to escape my attention, as well the EU's strong outward commitment to put down the proverbial pipe did not (I pay my bills, too). Hence why I find it strange for them to increase gas imports of the inherently more expensive variety from Russia, nevermind the grand speeches about human rights while making deals with the likes of Azerbaijan, Qatar and the Emirates. It's all blood, isn't it?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

SplitSoul posted:

I don't teach remedial English. I will, however, apologize for assuming more people were familiar with the differences between LNG and the gas that used to flow through the pipelines

They're literally the same thing, differing only in that one is a liquid state and the other a gas. And it has been repeatedly pointed out that the numbers show the fact is that EU imports of Russian gas in 2022 have been hugely lower, and that the vast majority of the drop is replaced by Norwegian gas and US LNG, with Azerbaijan's increase being a miniscule 0.8%.

Your argument *seems* to be that the EU are hypocrites for buying any more gas from Azerbaijan and Qatar instead of Russia. It's unclear to me what your proposed alternative is beyond possibly "use less gas". Your argument also seems to imply that buying Russian gas is less of a moral issue for you than Azeri or Qatari gas. Given the active war in Ukraine and the ongoing war crimes including genocide by Russia I am not sure how defensible the latter is to most people, frankly.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Dirk Pitt posted:

There’s a vägval gubbe who lives down the street from me in Traneberg. Of course he drives a dodge ram 1500.

He was on Facebook right after the election begging for work because he quit his job and spent all his money on the gently caress Bikes Party.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rust Martialis posted:

They're literally the same thing, differing only in that one is a liquid state and the other a gas.

Yes, with the one marked difference being that it's cheaper and easier to pipe than to ship, hence my saying "buying the same product more expensively".

Rust Martialis posted:

And it has been repeatedly pointed out that the numbers show the fact is that EU imports of Russian gas in 2022 have been hugely lower, and that the vast majority of the drop is replaced by Norwegian gas and US LNG, with Azerbaijan's increase being a miniscule 0.8%.

This is simply you arguing with yourself. I clearly specified Russian LNG in my post.

Rust Martialis posted:

Your argument *seems* to be that the EU are hypocrites for buying any more gas from Azerbaijan and Qatar instead of Russia.

Not instead of, in addition to.

Rust Martialis posted:

It's unclear to me what your proposed alternative is beyond possibly "use less gas".

To perhaps not be blatant hypocrites and increasing LNG imports from Russia in place of the piped gas, buying gas from different genocidal dictatorships, circumventing their own sanctions with poo poo like Latvian blend and other essentially laundered Russian products, but yes, fossil fuels should be phased out as quickly as possible, obviously, and preferably yesterday. Seems we're firing up coal plants instead.

Rust Martialis posted:

Your argument also seems to imply that buying Russian gas is less of a moral issue for you than Azeri or Qatari gas.

No, that's just you fabricating strawmen again. They're about the same to me on the moral scale, if you can consider states moral entities. You can include the U.S., too, for that matter.

Rust Martialis posted:

Given the active war in Ukraine and the ongoing war crimes including genocide by Russia I am not sure how defensible the latter is to most people, frankly.

Yet importing more Russian LNG is, under those same conditions?

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

Yes, with the one marked difference being that it's cheaper and easier to pipe than to ship, hence my saying "buying the same product more expensively".

Actually the price of LNG is lower than pipeline gas presently in parts of the EU, particularly France.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/eu-wants-new-transaction-based-lng-benchmark-bid-calm-prices-2022-09-29/

quote:

While the price of LNG is generally higher than natural gas, infrastructure limitations in pipeline networks and varying capacity to receive and process the chilled fuel has seen the relationship flip in some European hubs, causing major price divergences.

Prices in France, for example, are lower than in other hubs like Germany which currently has no LNG terminals.

And France is the single largest EU importer of Russian LNG: https://www.highnorthnews.com/en/russian-lng-europe-flies-under-radar-frances-totalenergies-continues-imports-arctic (Germany has no LNG terminals apparently).

quote:

Earlier this year, for several months, France even surpassed Japan to become the single largest importer of Russian LNG. Spain, the Netherlands, and Belgium have also increased the amount of LNG they receive from Russia.

Assuming the articles are correct, the LNG imported to the EU from Russia is currently *cheaper* than pipeline gas.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rust Martialis posted:

Actually the price of LNG is lower than pipeline gas presently in parts of the EU, particularly France.

That's interesting. Let's see if it holds up.

This is interesting, too:

quote:

While imports of pipeline gas into Europe have decreased by 20 percent, the flow of LNG to the west remains uninterrupted. As of the end of September 2022, around 40 percent of Russian LNG was destined for Europe.

So while Russian LNG imports are comparatively smaller than what was lost—again, obviously, since the headache from the start was lack of sufficient terminals and ships with which to transport it at replacement levels, regardless of the source—the EU still accounts for 40% of Russian LNG exports. I guess European consumers get to have little a genocide, as a treat.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

That's interesting. Let's see if it holds up.

This is interesting, too:

So while Russian LNG imports are comparatively smaller than what was lost—again, obviously, since the headache from the start was lack of sufficient terminals and ships with which to transport it at replacement levels, regardless of the source—the EU still accounts for 40% of Russian LNG exports. I guess European consumers get to have little a genocide, as a treat.

Well it's the French largely. The UK and Lithuania have blocked LNG imports from Russia. Boris Johnson, that tower of morality.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SplitSoul posted:

It's all blood, isn't it?

Yes, but with fossil fuels being free money and power now in exchange for future pain that is basically a given as long as we rely on that resource.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

every embargo leaks a bit, especially in a market as global and - if you'll forgive me - liquid as gas. there has been a meaningful move towards embargo of russian gas, and it's had serious consequences for russia, europe and whoever was counting on not being overbid by a desperate europe for their LNG imports.

russia made a killing in the initial phases of the war due to the incredibly unstable price of gas, and do not appear to be in any desperate economic straits, so there's no indication that the economic war is going to swing the war-war in anyone's favour (it makes it harder for russia to get components etc., but it also increases the strain on european financial institutions which have been critical in keeping the ukrainian state solvent so it's a bit of a wash imo). they are now imposed, however, and it does make sense to look at the consequences and ramifications of that; as time goes on, the constituency for removing these measures shrinks as the economy adjusts to the new reality, and constituency for the new posture of confrontation - armaments industries, shipping companies, foreign policy think tanks, etc., - increases.

had the economic war measures fulfilled their initial promise and ended the war by russian financial crisis, something might've been restored, but at this point both the real power relations and popular opinion have been hardened enough that i don't see any way to modulate them even if our political classes really wanted to. the turn to the US appears to be genuinely entusiastic among both elites and the general public, to the point where no other option is ever really vocalised. i'll admit that this did surprise and disappoint me so soon after the trump presidency, but it looks like reality.

e; i would like to note that i actually supported the economic war measures specifically because i found the reasoning that they could force an early end to the war reasonable enough to try it. that didn't pan out, however, and so we have to look at what these measures are actually doing

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Nov 30, 2022

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Our leaders are the best. Pure genius all around.

https://www.di.se/nyheter/ditt-elstod-kan-komma-som-kontanter/

quote:

Alla som inte har ett konto i den bank vi upphandlar banktjänster av kommer att få en avi. Det är det enda sättet vi kan betala ut på

quote:

Försäkringskassan nu har fullt upp med att skapa ett system för elstödet.

”Vi håller på att sätta upp ett separat system som är skilt från socialförsäkringssystemen”, säger han.

Försäkringskassan ska inte använda de kontonummer som finns i socialförsäkringssystemen. Det är istället den bank som Försäkringskassan upphandlar som ska förse Försäkringskassan med kontonummer.

This will end up costing $infinity and be such a cluster gently caress. How do they even imagine our lokala Hemköp will accept the burden to pay out over a million in cash to a bunch of irritated entitled home owners?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Skatteverket can manage to send over tax refunds nbd year after year, nearly everyone has Swish, but somehow försäkringskassan is just…not able to figure this one out?

Having a hunch that this ain’t gonna be ready by Feb.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Is that weird kontoregister thing you have to do with e.g. Försvarsmakten, where you register your information with one huge bank who happened to get the contract for salary payments for the Swedish state that year?

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Well now I know what kind of clusterfuck we could have had in the US had they not used the IRS to send out Trumpbux. Holy hell why the gently caress do they need to upphandla a new bank for this poo poo

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

So that their current bank owner buddies can get some of that sweet tax money from getting the government contract?

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
Why don’t they do it like they did it last time were you simply got credited with your power company?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

zokie posted:

Why don’t they do it like they did it last time were you simply got credited with your power company?

Yeah, but what if I don't want to buy electricity next year? This is extremely common.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
Just send people presentkort to Systembolaget and Elgiganten how hard could it be.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Yeah, why would right wingers make it more difficult to help people who are not rich. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

ted hitler hunter posted:

Yeah, why would right wingers make it more difficult to help people who are not rich. Doesn't make any sense at all.

But this is also really inconveniencing most of the rich.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://www.vattenfall.se/fokus/tips-rad/sa-sanker-vi-elpriset/

"Here is how you can stop using so much loving electricity, you loving prole, so we can export it for fat fat profits instead."

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Sweden is already putting the kneepads on in preparation for an extended polishing of Erdogan's knob.

Jack Trades posted:

It lets Erdogan feel good about swinging his big balls around.

Jack Trades posted:

The people that matter will always have enough money to just move out and gently caress the rest.

Jack Trades posted:

Not punishing people that need help?

Jack Trades posted:

So that their current bank owner buddies can get some of that sweet tax money from getting the government contract?

Jack Trades posted:

https://www.vattenfall.se/fokus/tips-rad/sa-sanker-vi-elpriset/

"Here is how you can stop using so much loving electricity, you loving prole, so we can export it for fat fat profits instead."

You should post with more joy in your heart

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Beeswax posted:

Have you looked outside lately?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Beeswax posted:

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Jack Trades posted:

Have you looked outside lately?

Yes

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://omni.se/sd-i-kalmar-vill-kartlagga-kulturutbudet-for-barn/a/EQlMG2

quote:

Fullmäktigeledamoten Jonathan Sager (SD) säger att partiet vill se en handlingsplan med målet att ”skydda barn från utmanande och stötande material”.

"I love the poorly educated!"

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/utrikes/uppgifter-person-med-pkk-koppling-utvisad-till-turkiet

:sweden:

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

This may be the weakest and most corrupt Swedish government in recent memory.

But I see a ton of media blame it for stuff that was either a decision made during the last government that takes effect now. Or programs that were set to expire next year by the last government. That the current government hasn't renewed yet.

There are so many things that they can be blamed for while still being honest about the presentation.

For examples like the article above.

quote:

I oktober 2015 ansökte mannen om uppehållstillstånd i Sverige. I mars 2020 avslog Migrationsverket ansökan och mannen överklagade då beslutet till migrationsdomstolen. I februari 2021 avslog domstolen överklagan och efter att ha påträffats i en trafikkontroll fördes mannen den 24 november 2022 till Migrationsverkets förvar. Enligt Polismyndigheten verkställdes utvisningen av mannen samt ytterligare en person under fredagen.

quote:

In October 2015, the man applied for a residence permit in Sweden. In March 2020, the Swedish Migration Agency rejected the application, and the man then appealed the decision to the Migration Court. In February 2021, the court rejected the appeal and after being found in a traffic control, the man was taken to the custody of the Migration Agency on 24 November 2022. According to the Police Authority, the deportation of the man and another person was carried out on Friday.

Feliday Melody fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 4, 2022

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
The most horrifying part of that is migv taking 5 years making a rejection decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Tbh if someone has lived in the country for 5 years, they should just be automatically granted citizenship. Probably after like 1 or 2 years actually.