Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Your favorite isekai thought crime
slavery
war crimes
boobs
protags that correctly remember and know how to recreate complex technologies
View Results

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I haven't read the story, but I assume that the author has a long list of "innovations" that have become popular at some point during the late 20th century.
And the mc is just implementing everything on the list a few years early, with much profits. Without the author wasting a second thought on anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Speedrunning capitalism

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Does the author come up with a market-based solution to climate change, or does it just opt to ignore it entirely?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Do they even talk about climate change in Japan?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Kwyndig posted:

Do they even talk about climate change in Japan?

I would imagine so, considering its an Island nation and highly vulnerable to the effects of rising sea levels and isn't a net fossil fuel exporter so doesn't have a huge vested interest in trying to supress it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You do see a lot of "submerged skyscrapers and streetlights, ~neo~ part of city rebuilt on the new shoreline" type settings in near or far future anime and manga at least

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I read the first volume of Ascension of a Bookworm. It’s interesting enough that I ordered the next few volumes. I appreciate that Myne encounters failure pretty often, especially early on, it really takes the edge off the power fantasy aspects of isekai.

I really enjoyed the payoff chapter at the end where three adults talked about how completely ridiculous she is.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

thetoughestbean posted:

I read the first volume of Ascension of a Bookworm. It’s interesting enough that I ordered the next few volumes. I appreciate that Myne encounters failure pretty often, especially early on, it really takes the edge off the power fantasy aspects of isekai.

I really enjoyed the payoff chapter at the end where three adults talked about how completely ridiculous she is.

There's a thread as well, ostensibly about the anime adaptation, but really any medium is discussed there too.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

gwrtheyrn posted:

There's a thread as well, ostensibly about the anime adaptation, but really any medium is discussed there too.

Good to know! I’ll probably avoid it for the time being to avoid spoilers

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

gwrtheyrn posted:

Yep! It's here.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3997740

thetoughestbean posted:

Good to know! I’ll probably avoid it for the time being to avoid spoilers

Once you hit the end of part two anything that's out of spoiler tags in that thread should be safe to read. Any LN talk that happens for stuff after P2 is in tags, though honestly there's like a 0% chance of another season so we could probably stop doing that.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Got a weird gripe about Shinju no Nectar since I don't really post much about it but I'm well past the honeymoon phase in reading this and the writing has gotten a bit sloppier if you ask me. Don't know if I should spoil this whole thing or not but feel free to skip this since I'm just venting. This arc in particular has some problems to it both because the writers keep introducing new pairs of tits to add to the harem without allowing any of the current girls to make progress, the typical harem issue. But also because of a months long amnesia subplot that didn't do anything. But chiefly my gripe is that like a year or two ago we got introduced to the leader of notConstantinople who is this hedonistic woman who *ahem* loves to throw her weight around.

Strictly speaking she's not a villain but someone that requires good reason to want to side with the main characters side since both Albion and Dhala are vying for control of this area and the conflict between the Shah herself and the nomads can and will tip things in either way. So she's self interested but would work with people so long as it benefited her rule. Long story short civil war breaks out and it looks like her city will fall, and with Dhala pulling their previous support for her. On top of that the realization that her own troops are not up to the task to defend her because they have been stuck in a weeks long siege. It winds up seeming like her best option is to accept Kai's suggestion of exile but that would be her ceding most of her power and hiding in another kingdom while someone else hopefully cleans up this mess and if they don't she can never return. The accumulated stress from the previous weeks and these back-to-back revelations cause her to pass out and she's carted off while Kai has to handle things.

Fast forward one bloodborne reference and things calm down enough for the Shah to make her grand re-appearance as negotiations with between her city and the nomads can go forward. But something is different about her.

Yep, it's like the authors are signalling to me that she's ready to become one of the good guys and the last couple chapters have been surreal. First Kai is going to marry this chick to help smooth over tensions between the two groups; he also marries the now current chief of the Nomad tribes because polygamy is kosher in the desert. Like I forgot the Shah still hasn't shown a change in her policy regarding slaves either. But don't just morph a character who won't even have to go adventuring with the crew because she's a well established ruler who can't afford to leave her own city in this delicate phase now more than ever. They could have introduced this chick as her secret daughter who is taking over for her mother and it's the exact same setup honestly. On top of that there's this really unnecessary plan to force the Shah and the Nomads to get over their differences in a hurry and unite despite the recent war so they can maintain cohesion against the empires that immediately surround Sinchar. Kai doesn't want to just have Sinchar colonized by Albion for admittedly decent reasons regarding his perceptions of the real world flaws colonization led too. But now it involves pulling an Ozymandias and trying to scare both factions and unify them against his persona of Grey Enfield as he has his mermaid partner flex her hidden naval fleet as he continues to pretend to be just some cook who can conveniently turn into a demi-god that conveniently just married two of the most politically powerful people in the desert. Because that kind of heavy-handed plan will absolutely not crumble under the slightest bit of information proving the hoax for what it was.

tl;dr it was cool in Power rangers to have Tommy gradually transition from the Green suit to the white suit as he shifted from using the corrupted powers and influences of evil to the powers of good. It's not ok to have someone's entire body and mannerisms change overnight because the writers need to keep a quota of conventionally attractive women around the MC and push the plot forward. I still like this story but I wanted to get that out. I just hope we don't get a hat trick of flawed arcs like the last two.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It’s a story about a guy who sucks tits for superpowers idk why you expected anything even remotely resembling a progressive depiction of women

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

"It's a very powerful story about revenge."

"Okay."

"And the it's a fantasy setting. The main characters gets superpowers..."

"Super powers and fantasy, okay..."

"... from drinking the breast milk directly from the tits of his monster girl harem."

"... And there it is."

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

"i can't believe this barely disguised fetish story is so shoddily written!"

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

8one6 posted:

"It's a very powerful story about revenge."

"Okay."

"And the it's a fantasy setting. The main characters gets superpowers..."

"Super powers and fantasy, okay..."

"... from drinking the breast milk directly from the tits of his monster girl harem."

"... And there it is."

It's still really funny that the author managed to get 2 series about drinking breast milk for superpowers published

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
lmao i didn't realize it was the same guy who did qwaser.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

It's funnier to think that multiple different authors with the same fetishes are somehow independently getting their series published and the likely fan wars over which breast milk fetish manga is the superior one.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

pentyne posted:

It's funnier to think that multiple different authors with the same fetishes are somehow independently getting their series published and the likely fan wars over which breast milk fetish manga is the superior one.

So we periodic table element benders, classical element demi-gods, and I think guns and swords if Valkyrie Drive falls into this category. Next series should go for something much bigger, I'm thinking Kaiju.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

Not just the same guy, it's the same duo.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Brought To You By posted:

Not just the same guy, it's the same duo.
:lmao:

For some reason that makes me think of Sigourney Weaver's line in Galaxy Quest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8tDj3J7pyw

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I support this dude and his ability to get multiple series of this going.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
More like iselie

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Got a nice image for this thread, though it theoretically should go into the good isekai thread.

In other news I noticed, "Abandoned Lady Awakened in the Dungeon – Sacred Mark? A True Saint? No I Am Just a Monster Foodie!" and felt personally targeted as an audience. It was very mediocre, tho
And the translator seems to focus on engagement dissolution stories that are actually complete with an ending, but that are all mediocre knock-offs from slightly better novels-

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
I ran across this one today, and thought it was worth sharing: With One Day Left I'll Break All the Destruction Flags: "Serves You Right!" RTA 24 Hour Record

You know the drill: the MC has reincarnated into an otome game as a villainess, and the event where she gets denounced is only 24 hours away. However instead of having had years to dodge flags and win over all the capture targets, she only became aware of her situation on the eve of her destruction. So instead of using her time to flee or prepare for her life in exile, she's instead going to spend her last 24 hours ruining the reverse harem ending the heroine thinks she has locked in.

I don't think it's quite as satisfying as the similar story where the MC is killing gods to thwart the heroine, but I still enjoy seeing a scheming villainess try to claw her way out of the bad ending.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

It also has one of my favorite insult epithets in "Potato girl"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Guess the next big isekai super power? Walking

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Brought to you by Fitbit and Kojima Productions.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

And like most terrible isekais, it's not using the mundane/seemingly useless ability in interesting and unique ways, it's just getting exp for every step he takes, so he gets a bunch of overpowered, completely unrelated abilities

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lord Awkward posted:

Brought to you by Fitbit and Kojima Productions.

It wouldn't even need have an isekai premise to make a compelling story about a porter in a fantasy world that travels to bizarre and fantastical locations delivering packages to wizards and nobility. Give it a great artist and it would be really good.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
You would think someone would read the fine print before kicking the summoned hero out of the kingdom because their unique skill sounds lame, but then it wouldn't be isekai without lots of stupid.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
And once again a kingdom relies on the excitement of receiving fabulous abilities and awesome power to distract from the ethical and moral questions inherent in shanghaiing strangers to perform dangerous tasks for the kingdom, with no hope of returning home until completed. :words:

e. not to mention the moral bankruptcy of throwing one of your involuntary conscripts into the streets with :10bux: to make their own way in a totally unfamiliar world because their random powers came up short, and now I'm trying to remember if I've seen any manga where something like that actually produces consequences

Lord Awkward fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 4, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I miss Hero Union BBS. It was fun.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It wouldn't even need have an isekai premise to make a compelling story about a porter in a fantasy world that travels to bizarre and fantastical locations delivering packages to wizards and nobility. Give it a great artist and it would be really good.

The Hero, the Dragon, and the Courier?

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bongo Bill posted:

I was also thinking Dungeon Sherpa, though it's more about dungeon diving than going around the countryside.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Yep, that's one. But we need more sweeping vistas and less bureaucratic nightmares. Hakumei to Mikochi has had a couple of flashbacks or small arcs that dealt with traveling and I really enjoy those.

Nemo2342 posted:

I was also thinking Dungeon Sherpa, though it's more about dungeon diving than going around the countryside.

I also like this one but it's less about sight seeing and more about really smart tactics combined with an experienced guide. The main heroine's power being necromancy but it's used in a really novel way for a good guy is a plus. Basically turns each delve into a snowballing RTS campaign. The whole emphasis on proper formation and methodically approaching encounters is also well implemented.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Ch 5 of walking manga: “i got a request to walk to the slave auction…”

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fellis posted:

Ch 5 of walking manga: “i got a request to walk to the slave auction…”

Hopefully to shut it down?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Lord Awkward posted:

e. not to mention the moral bankruptcy of throwing one of your involuntary conscripts into the streets with :10bux: to make their own way in a totally unfamiliar world because their random powers came up short, and now I'm trying to remember if I've seen any manga where something like that actually produces consequences

The Executioner's Way of Life is about someone who's job it is to deal with those problems before they produce consequences. And massive chunks of the world are wastelands or places nobody ever returns from as a result of summoned teenagers who weren't dealt with soon enough.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

Elfface posted:

The Executioner's Way of Life is about someone who's job it is to deal with those problems before they produce consequences. And massive chunks of the world are wastelands or places nobody ever returns from as a result of summoned teenagers who weren't dealt with soon enough.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot!

Kwyndig posted:

Hopefully to shut it down?

Cut to panel of him carrying a slave for delivery perched on top of the rest of his enormous backpack. :geno:

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Bongo Bill posted:

Real fun manga. Love that guy's work. Such a history nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh the Executioner's Way of Life is very good. It's got that kind of yuri where one character is really into another and they have to work on their relationship. Except the titular character wants to just murder the other character and spends most of their plot beats trying to figure out how.