Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Highly recommending giving this a watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkUYGT-S5R8

and their previous hit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUMaIr4MEHg

Watch 2 idiots destroy themselves on camera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
dear god I watched 12 minutes of that Candyland video and neither player has moved.

"Wait, they spent 12 minutes shooting the poo poo and setting up?"

NO.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Jesus christ the instant they described the rule I knew I was about to see two people die on camera

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I'll nth Buttonshy being decent but they were at PAX this weekend and the Gamefound is shipping soon so I'm sure it's just hellmarch times.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
So, Codex by Sirlin Games. I think it's a really interesting game mechanically, a mix between MtG and an Warcraft 3, but my god is that art and flavor bad. That in mind, I took it upon myself to a do a full fan re-theme of the game in Tabletop Simulator:
Codex Warcraft.

I'm no coding wizard, but I got a decent chunk of automation in there to make the TTS experience a little smoother. I also cleaned up as much of the rules text on the cards as I could, Codex Classic has a lot of counterintuitive or ambiguous interactions and I wanted to make everything as clear as possible. If any of y'all are inclined to take a look, I hope you enjoy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
That owns, though is there any reason you went with generic units for the Heroes (ie. "Ogre Magi" instead of, say, Cho'Gall)?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Holy poo poo, that's literally the MTG frame. How did Sirlin not get sued?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

That's Fenn's mod for table top sim.

Codex looks like this.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Some Numbers posted:

How did Sirlin not get sued?

Still a fair question though :v:

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Countblanc posted:

That owns, though is there any reason you went with generic units for the Heroes (ie. "Ogre Magi" instead of, say, Cho'Gall)?

Part of it is an homage to how WC3's multiplayer worked. I like how the generic versions of the campaign heroes made the factions feel bigger, like you were commanding a small squad of a larger army, and it avoids the issue of the same 5 people showing up to every battle in history. I also had a problem where most of the cards that I needed to find art for were rank-and-file units but most Warcraft art is for specific named characters, making everything generic gave me a lot more flexibility. For example, a number of iconic character didn't fit the mechanics of a hero but did fit really well as another card. It doesn't make sense to name a unit that you can have two copies of in play "Thrall" or "Kael'thas", but I can still use art of them and call the card "Venerable Farseer" or "Ascendant Blood Mage". Then we have the issue of LORE, I had to do some bending of the WC3/WoW lore to fit codex's 6-faction structure. I wanted to avoid anchoring the game to specific characters because I want to evoke the cool stuff about Warcraft lore as much as I can, without getting stuck in the weeds about the specifics of this alternate timeline.

The biggest thing, though. The races of Warcraft, their unique architecture, style, history, personality, etc etc are my favorite thing about the setting. I like that stuff much more than the individual characters and I wanted to emphasize that as much as I could. This also fit really well with Codex's structure, giving a strong flavor identity to go along with the strong mechanical identity of each sub-faction.

Some Numbers posted:

Holy poo poo, that's literally the MTG frame. How did Sirlin not get sued?

As it turns out, templating cards from scratch is very hard. Magic set editor was the only way I could have got this done, haha. I tried to use a less common card frame, these are the planeshifted frames from the Time Spiral block, but people still clock them immediately as MtG frames.

Fenn the Fool! fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 6, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Terrible Opinions posted:

That's Fenn's mod for table top sim.

Codex looks like this.

You may as well use the Magic frame for them, because that Jaina ripoff is just a Magic card with Level Up. Sirlin's pushing "you can't copyright mechanics" way beyond its breaking point.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Codex absolutely does not play anything like Magic. Sirlin is a definite poo poo for other reasons, but Codex copying anything isn't one of them. If we tried to use the same metric that you are using here, we would have to dump the entire loving genre of deckbuilding into the bin as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Codex absolutely does not play anything like Magic. Sirlin is a definite poo poo for other reasons, but Codex copying anything isn't one of them. If we tried to use the same metric that you are using here, we would have to dump the entire loving genre of deckbuilding into the bin as well.

Having not played Codex I'll bow to your expertise. But that's sure as hell what it looks like.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I mean, even without knowing anything about the game, the text in that Jaina card references rules, situations and keywords that aren't applicable to Magic. Even things as simple as the health/strength aren't straightforward because Codex (iirc) does not have recuperating health.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo

Tekopo posted:

I think Codex is one of Sirlin's most unique games, but to say it doesn't play anything like Magic is a bit of a stretch. I don't find the level up cards to be a particularly egregious example, but mechanics like illusions or time counters are clearly pulled 1-for-1 from Magic's designs. I don't think that should be illegal, the game does some genuinely unique design work in how it incorporates these mechanics, but it is still a Sirlin game and the man is not good about hiding his influences.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Fair, but I find it weird to call Sirlin out for specifically this when the entire industry of boardgaming is built on incremental upgrades of very basic mechanical frameworks. There are much more egregious things that you can take Sirlin to task for (for example, copying En Garde almost exactly, or copying the chip design for Puzzle Strike), but Codex is absolutely not something you can take it to task for without discounting a whole lot of other, legitimate games.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Fenn the Fool! posted:

As it turns out, templating cards from scratch is very hard. Magic set editor was the only way I could have got this done, haha. I tried to use a less common card frame, these are the planeshifted frames from the Time Spiral block, but people still clock them immediately as MtG frames.
The Planar Chaos frame is one of my favorites in the game, so I immediately recognized it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Codex is mostly original mechanically but entirely "StarCraft, Warcraft etc" with the serial numbers filed off aesthetically. It's like mobile game level garbage.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah not gonna disagree that it very much tries to be a mobile version of warcraft/starcraft in terms of art. I still thought that it was really interesting mechanically though.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Fair, but I find it weird to call Sirlin out for specifically this when the entire industry of boardgaming is built on incremental upgrades of very basic mechanical frameworks. There are much more egregious things that you can take Sirlin to task for (for example, copying En Garde almost exactly, or copying the chip design for Puzzle Strike), but Codex is absolutely not something you can take it to task for without discounting a whole lot of other, legitimate games.

This is true, but I don't call Sirlin out for using mechanics that someone else has used. I call him out for not iterating on them. And knowing what I know about him, it's very hard to believe that he's ever been truly inspired by anyone else rather than look at their work and think "That's good, I'll take it".

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Its not just the art in Codex Classic, the flavor text is also really bad. So are the card names. And the worldbuilding. It truly is a complete package of cringe, every time I played it was painful. Thus why I spent dozens of hours of my life creating a new version.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I do honestly think that Puzzle Strike and Codex are good iterations on the formula, and they do add interesting layers to the games that they take inspiration from. Yomi is wholy unique, unless you count taking inspiration from Rock Paper Scissors as something notable. Like I'm not even a huge stan for Sirlin but saying that all of his designs are copies without any iteration on the formula just helps him to label people as haters. Hate him for when he's really a poo poo.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Does anyone in this thread have opinion on Sol: Last Days of a Star. It's getting a reprinting on kickstarter.

It's one of those games that has never ranked highly on BGG, but there are some big name board game people who vouch hard for it like Cole. I do like games with shared player infrastructure changing the nature of the board itself and this features that mechanic.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
deepest apologies to anyone in the thread who is now for the first time learning that game design sense and ethical sense aren't inextricably linked but tekopo's right. puzzle strike and codex are bangers. shame about the sirlin's whole personality, ethical conduct, aesthetic sense, and general operating behavior otherwise.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Infinitum posted:

and their previous hit

Cheers for this. I’d seen these goobers pop up in my YT recs but for some reason the thumbnails were radiating Big Smosh Energy, so I would never have clicked on account of I’m deeply shallow.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Some Strange Flea posted:

Cheers for this. I’d seen these goobers pop up in my YT recs but for some reason the thumbnails were radiating Big Smosh Energy, so I would never have clicked on account of I’m deeply shallow.

They play a lot of social deduction games (or games with hidden roles/objectives) and party games but sometimes, they do something a bit more interesting to me. (I do love some social deduction nonsense, but I don't need to see it all the time.)

In terms of their series of re-hashed classics: Their Guess Who was enjoyable; their blindfolded Connect Four was interesting; I didn't watch the "Twister, but while handcuffed together" video; "Scrabble, but only rude words" was bad because they either didn't know enough rude words or were trying to do it while still not getting demonetized.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga

Tekopo posted:

I do honestly think that Puzzle Strike and Codex are good iterations on the formula, and they do add interesting layers to the games that they take inspiration from. Yomi is wholy unique, unless you count taking inspiration from Rock Paper Scissors as something notable. Like I'm not even a huge stan for Sirlin but saying that all of his designs are copies without any iteration on the formula just helps him to label people as haters. Hate him for when he's really a poo poo.

Can we hate him when he's a poo poo, and then just keep hating him because

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
No

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah of course, I’m not your dad

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

The history of these thread iterations prove this wrong. Sirlin has been such a running joke that when I personally wanted to include an Intellectual Property section of the OP even though I figured no one cared but me, I justified it to myself in part due to the thread running jokes about Sirlin being a thief and a bit poo poo. Now, am I one of the people who's been beating that joke into the ground? :ssh: Maaaybe.

Based on the zero I know about Codex, it looks like it's probably somewhere around the normal amount of theft / inspiration that goes on in the board game world, perhaps maybe a little further than most. Like, it's literally just the Level Up cards from M:tG, but those cards were only in one set so you may be able to argue that they are actually underexplored.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
codex's whole semi-deckbuilding mtg thing is Actually Good and I can only hope it get 'stolen' for other games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

bring back Star Wars LCG pods for deckbuilding IMO.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Impermanent posted:

codex's whole semi-deckbuilding mtg thing is Actually Good and I can only hope it get 'stolen' for other games.

it's very cool, but I feel like it's just not really a winning formula, market-wise. it's like an even less collectible (and financially exploitable) version of the LCG formula which is already on thin ice in terms of turning a profit.

i guess as a board game rather than a lifestyle game it operates on different success metrics but i feel like practically any game with meta elements, light as they are in Codex, thrives off the idea that you could like, theoretically meet another human who has a deck who would want to play it

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What’s the best place to sell board games? I’ve got a pretty decent collection, quite a few opened but unplayed, and I just don’t think I’m ever gonna get a lot of these games actually played. Also, if I posted a list of games, would folks be able to recommend what’s worth keeping and what isn’t?

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Infinitum posted:

and their previous hit

This was loving hilarious. And now I want to grab some friends and destroy our livers.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

fr0id posted:

What’s the best place to sell board games? I’ve got a pretty decent collection, quite a few opened but unplayed, and I just don’t think I’m ever gonna get a lot of these games actually played. Also, if I posted a list of games, would folks be able to recommend what’s worth keeping and what isn’t?

there are like 3 local FB groups for boardgame sales in my city of 400k and games appear and go real fast, I'd check that to start with.

(got near-mint Feast for Odin for 1/3 retail recently from them)

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Played one (1) game of Unfathomable at BGN tonight. Putting aside that this type of game tends to be almost unbearably slow, I'm finding myself really enjoying hidden role, event driven games. This one beats out Betrayal at House on the Hill for me: flows better, more interesting choices on your turn. Is there a similar game out there (don't say Battlestar Galactica) I should play next? Maybe one better than Unfathomable? I haven't played Arkham Horror, no.

I was also gonna wait til my Button Shy games came in to talk about Cartographers since that's my at-home, solo gaming stuff but I'm still waiting. So I'll just say now instead of later that I really love Cartographers. It's, like, perfect for me. I put on a lecture or interview or podcast and just relax for 40 minutes. I'm always looking for some game to play while I listen to stuff cause I don't have the attention to just sit, stare ahead, and listen, and I have absolutely no ability to understand words if I'm reading about something else or chatting or whatever. Cartographers is perfect for this cause the brain churn is non-existent. You can take your time filling in spaces, and just take it easy. Bliss. Great, great relaxing game.

Anyway, apropos of two separate BGNs, any advice for dealing with an obnoxious, whiny player who is constantly sucking all the life out of the table by being the most grating caricature imaginable?

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 7, 2022

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

fr0id posted:

I have a collection that's waaaay beyond what is realistically playable, so if you want to PM me stuff you're interested in selling I'll see if any of it is of interest to me at least. To be clear I probably don't want it but who knows.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Played one (1) game of Unfathomable at BGN tonight. Putting aside that this type of game tends to be almost unbearably slow, I'm finding myself really enjoying hidden role, event driven games. This one beats out Betrayal at House on the Hill for me: flows better, more interesting choices on your turn. Is there a similar game out there (don't say Battlestar Galactica) I should play next? Maybe one better than Unfathomable? I haven't played Arkham Horror, no.

Battlestar Galactica. Have you looked at Nemesis? It's not 100% the same type of game as BSG, Unfathomable and BaHotH, but there's still plenty of opportunities for backstabbing, as well as redemption as well!
e.g. in my first game, another friend set the self-destruct to blow the ship and held some of the group off for long enough that the SD sequence was unable to be aborted. But then, in a moment of desperation caused by him becoming infected by an alien facehugger thing, he changed back to aiding the team, in the hopes that at least some of us might survive. He died horribly, moments before the ship self-destructed. (However, I luckily escaped on the last turn. Just uh, ignore the fact that I accidentally made a hell of a lot of noise on my way into the escape pod, which drew an alien into the room, blocking the rest of the team's access to the pods. eep!)

But yeah, I know Nemesis has a mixed reputation on here, (although then again, BaHotH has a much worse rep ITT, so that doesn't necessarily mean much to you) however it's been great fun each time myself and my group played it. Last time we even got to save our cyber-doggo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

fr0id posted:

If you exhaust local options, local discords/facebooks/etc, you can also sell/trade-in to a company like Noble Knight who will also pay for shipping to them.