Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
Got a call from UPS, and the packet is here, just with wrong info on it. Whatever service Schaeffler is using to print and send these books with, seems to have some trouble with addresses.

NewFatMike posted:

Huh. A UPS access point here in the states is usually one of those lockers, frequently outside a 7/11.
We have something like that too, but I haven't seen UPS ones yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Yeah it wants the house number after the street address which is a German thing, and any weird formatting to get around it seems to strip the first line of the address in their printing process even if it looks good online.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Wiring harness CAD software? Is there any free(-ish) software I should check out?

My wiring harness will only have 20-30 wires, so it's not a problem to do it by hand. But maybe there are useful tools out there even for small projects.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Looks like an OnShape user created a nice harness system:

https://forum.onshape.com/discussion/18756/new-custom-feature-cable-wire-routing

Not even the SOLIDWORKS Makers Offer comes with routing unfortunately. It’s a pretty dang slick plug-in.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

So I have left my job that let me use the work solidworks license for personal projects in my off time.

I was looking at the solidworks hobbyist version, but from what I'm reading models I have from the official version aren't compatible apparently? Is that correct?
Surely that can't be correct.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

The educational/personal/maker/etc. versions of lots of really expensive programs are usually not cross-compatible with the commercial versions in some way or another. A big reason is to keep companies from using those versions as free seats for their entire engineering department, and then just transferring the files to their one paid license for the final output.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If I were the product manager for solidworks, I would make sure the save formats were not compatible with the free version, to push businesses to use the paid version, yeah

It's not very consumer friendly, but they don't really serve the consumer market, and most businesses will cough up the dough to get the job done and be compatible with the rest of the industry

Fusion 360 at the top always says something like "hobbyist version - (not for commercial use)" because (probably) if you're doing a business presentation you really really don't want to hurt your credibility with the client optics of "this joker is doing professional paid work with toy class tools" especially when working on a bid and doing screen share

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 3, 2022

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

L0cke17 posted:

So I have left my job that let me use the work solidworks license for personal projects in my off time.

I was looking at the solidworks hobbyist version, but from what I'm reading models I have from the official version aren't compatible apparently? Is that correct?
Surely that can't be correct.

You can import commercial files into the Makers Edition, but you cannot import Makers Edition files into commercial.

You can still export parasolid or STEP files and all that from the Makers Edition, thankfully.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I'm the only Solidworks user at my tiny startup. If they ever go under, I will swap in my own credit card number and just adopt the license for myself.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Ugh that's fuckin bullshit that is.

ryanrs posted:

I'm the only Solidworks user at my tiny startup. If they ever go under, I will swap in my own credit card number and just adopt the license for myself.

Having seen the quotes for solidworks at my work HOW. Isnt a license nearing $5k?

L0cke17 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Dec 4, 2022

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

L0cke17 posted:

Ugh that's fuckin bullshit that is.

Having seen the quotes for solidworks at my work HOW. Isnt a license nearing $5k?

Yup. And now they'll back-charge you for any "missed" versions if you skip a few years. Greedy fucks.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ryanrs posted:

Are y’all on the startup program? It’s a pretty solid deal. If your VAR won’t sign you up for it, and the 3DEXPERIENCE version works for you, you’ll almost certainly get approved for it by applying through SOLIDWORKS themselves.

Also also, if anyone is stateside there’s a big chance that you can get a financed deal for SOLIDWORKS and make it monthly instead of a big chunk once a year.

I did the math with my old sales counterpart, and IIRC you can get Standard commercial at ~$100/mo and Premium with all the bells and whistles for around $250 I think? I believe that includes subscription but I don’t remember if that’s for 3 or 5 years.

It’s not nothing, but I thought I might as well throw out some info that might not be super public knowledge in case it helps.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I get you're not really their marketing guy but why is the Solidworks pricing scheme secret knowledge that i can get an estimate on either through doing a RFP or reading a $10 dead comedy forum one of their employees happens to post on

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 4, 2022

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Yeah, I’m just a VAR technical guy.

A lot of why it’s “secret” is because pricing and incentives vary from reseller to reseller. There are MSRPs that come down from SOLIDWORKS, but each reseller has its own incentive plans, discounts, and bundles. It’s more that it’s stupid than secret.

For a real life instance, one reseller won’t finance any purchase under $5k, while another will finance *any* purchase. If you’re in a region covered by one reseller and not the other, the effective price is different for you than someone else. And in any case, you don’t really know until you pick up the phone and call a sales rep or email one and then you’re on an email blast list for life.

And you can’t buy directly from SOLIDWORKS, except in some ludicrous edge cases. The business model never really adapted to the internet, it’s still basically organized like a car dealership. Except in TYOOL 2022, car dealership prices are pretty uniform because of things like KBB.

And I’m posting here because this is probably the least bad posting place on the internet. I like the software a lot, I enjoy being a paid CAD nerd to pay the bills, and the folks reading this thread are more likely to actually be able to use this info than Reddit nerds berating me personally over the price of the software.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I am sure solidworks is vastly superior in some way, but for my little business fusion for $450/yr sure seems like a deal.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bad Munki posted:

I've also tried just hitting "Open in Fusion 360" but then Fusion 360 itself pops the Upload dialog with a warning at the top, "A copy of the shared item will be uploaded to a project so you can open it. Select a project to upload to." and then I'm back in the "can't create new project" loop when I try to select the location.

Figured this out, by the way. Or, got it to work. The answer was to do it on a PC instead of a mac, and to do it on my connection at home instead of my FiL's over-taxed under-specced service. I've not tried it on my mac since getting home, so I'm not actually sure which part was causing the problem, because I don't actually care, I got what I needed already. Still silly that it would just give a general fault. I guess there are probably more in-depth logs somewhere but :effort:

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

Are y’all on the startup program? It’s a pretty solid deal. If your VAR won’t sign you up for it, and the 3DEXPERIENCE version works for you, you’ll almost certainly get approved for it by applying through SOLIDWORKS themselves.

Also also, if anyone is stateside there’s a big chance that you can get a financed deal for SOLIDWORKS and make it monthly instead of a big chunk once a year.

I did the math with my old sales counterpart, and IIRC you can get Standard commercial at ~$100/mo and Premium with all the bells and whistles for around $250 I think? I believe that includes subscription but I don’t remember if that’s for 3 or 5 years.

It’s not nothing, but I thought I might as well throw out some info that might not be super public knowledge in case it helps.

No, it was all too complicated and so we just bought a normal seat for $5k or whatever, and pay $1800/yr to renew support/updates. This is despite Dassault being our largest investor / parent company, lol. It was easier to pay full price to a VAR than to navigate their internal corporate processes to get a free license.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Can't you like, design an entire factory in solidworks? Model all the inputs and outputs of the various machines to make a factory that sorts and cracks pecans, or taps and bags specially screws and hinges, or whatever

It does regular CAD too but if you're designing and packaging the workflow to fit in a specific building five grand a year to design a $4-10 million dollar factory seems like peanuts

Probably more than pays for itself for aerospace parts that get CNC'd

Also solidworks does like, aerodynamic and hydrodynamic modeling, I think. If you're designing a boat over 30' or building any size airplane, solidworks is a rounding error in the budget, also a tax deduction as a business expense

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

ryanrs posted:

No, it was all too complicated and so we just bought a normal seat for $5k or whatever, and pay $1800/yr to renew support/updates. This is despite Dassault being our largest investor / parent company, lol. It was easier to pay full price to a VAR than to navigate their internal corporate processes to get a free license.

Christ. I guess that is Dassault.txt. I’m sorry about that.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I am sure solidworks is vastly superior in some way, but for my little business fusion for $450/yr sure seems like a deal.

Fusion 360 is great! I used it professionally before becoming a SOLIDWORKS technical guy. Some of the reasons why it’s really good is because the business model is very well adapted to the internet.

I don’t get to give a ton of honest opinions publicly facing at work, and there aren’t many people in the VAR scene who have used anything besides SOLIDWORKS. So, sorry if this is rambly :v:

Fusion is awesome until you start spending a lot of time with Drawings, mass properties/center of gravity, design automation, and PDM/PLM. SOLIDWORKS Hole Wizard and Smart Fasteners have saved me, personally, a lot of rote misery.

But even then, it’ll probably take a *lot* of man hours before the software cost, training costs, productivity ramp up, and implementation all make it worth it.

But even then, OnShape is right there and has the immediate benefit of saving capital expenditure because you can run it on any machine and the commercial versions include really good and easy to use PLM tools. It even runs on the same kernel as SOLIDWORKS, so a lot of good habits are transferable.

E: Hadlock is correct:

SOLIDWORKS still has a bunch of advantages, but they’re becoming a question of scale. It’s starting to get more hooked into larger factory ERP and MES systems that are more applicable to Boeing than your local machine shop.

Even then a step above is CATIA for more complex facility design, that was created first and foremost for aerospace.

Sorry for :words: but I really do like being a CAD industry nerd and I hope that this is informative for some folks.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Ya sorry didn't mean that to be a jab at you i just know you've been talking about them trying to get more into the small business sector and this is very silly when I can just load up, say, Vectric's website and get an immediate answer. Solidworks is phenomenal when I can actually use it but the DRM and sales process are some of the most insanely hostile I've seen outside of poo poo that, like, you can't even buy unless you're Boeing

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 4, 2022

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Ya sorry didn't mean that to be a jab at you i just know you've been talking about them trying to get more into the small business sector and this is very silly when I can just load up, say, Vectric's website and get an immediate answer

Nah it’s totally valid and one of the frustrations I experience with the industry myself. I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that Dassault aren’t a sales company and don’t directly interact with customers and therefore don’t really investigate the competitive landscape because they don’t view it as their problem. This is really visible when trying to sign up for the Makers Offer.

Spaghett
May 2, 2007

Spooked ya...

I just want to say that Dassault sucks more than a black hole and i hate them. Them buying Solidworks was the saddest poo poo.

I hate 3DExperience, too. Having used several ERP and PLM suites, I think they're the worst.

I was literally told by a Dassault representative that it's best practice not to use engineering connections and assembly constraints. He told me that snapping and moving the parts into place is the best practice.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

NewFatMike posted:

Eh, I did a couple inquiries, then asked our CEO how much he cared about $5k, and he said "very little". I think the part of Dassault involved with investment ventures is very, very far from the part of Dassault that gives out Solidworks licenses.

Several months later, Autodesk gave us Fusion 360 'for free' (bundled into our EAGLE subscription). If they had done that deal a year earlier, I'd be using Fusion 360 right now.

Today my primary tools are KiCad and Solidworks.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Spaghett posted:

I just want to say that Dassault sucks more than a black hole and i hate them. Them buying Solidworks was the saddest poo poo.

I hate 3DExperience, too. Having used several ERP and PLM suites, I think they're the worst.

I was literally told by a Dassault representative that it's best practice not to use engineering connections and assembly constraints. He told me that snapping and moving the parts into place is the best practice.

:wtc: was that for some DELMIA stuff? I did some factory flow training and it was uhhhhhh interesting™️

ryanrs posted:

Eh, I did a couple inquiries, then asked our CEO how much he cared about $5k, and he said "very little". I think the part of Dassault involved with investment ventures is very, very far from the part of Dassault that gives out Solidworks licenses.

It’s pretty crazy how they left arm doesn’t know what the right is doing there except there are ten thousand arms.

E: I’m positive that part of the reason why OnShape exists is because of Dassault screwery because it was started by SOLIDWORKS founders. I think it fed back into 3DX existing which was just some project that someone did and had an executive dogpile to run with that ball. As far as I’m aware, it wasn’t a roadmaps product for its initial design.

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 4, 2022

bred
Oct 24, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Can't you like, design an entire factory in solidworks? Model all the inputs and outputs of the various machines to make a factory that sorts and cracks pecans, or taps and bags specially screws and hinges, or whatever

It does regular CAD too but if you're designing and packaging the workflow to fit in a specific building five grand a year to design a $4-10 million dollar factory seems like peanuts

Probably more than pays for itself for aerospace parts that get CNC'd

Also solidworks does like, aerodynamic and hydrodynamic modeling, I think. If you're designing a boat over 30' or building any size airplane, solidworks is a rounding error in the budget, also a tax deduction as a business expense

I had an opportunity to model some factory concepts this year. I was looking for simulation software and I settled on these options:

- JAAMSIM - free and runs in java so could run it on my locked down workstation without bothering anyone. It took a while to understand how it works but i managed to get a basic process flow. I had a screenshot of multiple buildings and overlayed a product flow of parts coming together, going into boxes, boxes into crates, then pallets, then trucks.

- FlexSim - free demo online but had to get permission to install. That took months so I used jaamsim while waiting. Once I got it working, it was much more user friendly but also by that point I understood the logic of entity flow simulation or whatever they call it. Nice forum and excellent customer service. Helped us through the more complex logic we wanted. Highly recommended. Try the demo on you comouter at home. Good forums with solved problems.

- AnyLogic - looks like flexsim. Some emails with them but took a while to get a download and by then I had things going with the other software so never tried it.

I see the value in simulation for sure. Just modelling the pacing of everything gets you things you don't see from napkin math. Like we detected an issue that would happen several hours into running where we'd need to queue a lot of material. It is like turn signals on 2 cars, they move in and out of sync and there is a point in time where the capacities built in to the system start to choke.

I don't see us using it too much but the team planning the production areas and ordering machines from us should be using this. There are a lot of demos about warehouse picking too so maybe our warehouses can be modelled.

To respond to your second part, I'm an in house machine designer and we use SW for the machines to ultimately create the assembly prints and purchasing boms. To give an idea of scale, our average machine is approx $200k with a couple in low millions annually. We model down to each nut/bolt and create drawings for each custom part and assembly.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

Fusion 360 is great! I used it professionally before becoming a SOLIDWORKS technical guy. Some of the reasons why it’s really good is because the business model is very well adapted to the internet.

I don’t get to give a ton of honest opinions publicly facing at work, and there aren’t many people in the VAR scene who have used anything besides SOLIDWORKS. So, sorry if this is rambly :v:

Fusion is awesome until you start spending a lot of time with Drawings, mass properties/center of gravity, design automation, and PDM/PLM. SOLIDWORKS Hole Wizard and Smart Fasteners have saved me, personally, a lot of rote misery.

But even then, it’ll probably take a *lot* of man hours before the software cost, training costs, productivity ramp up, and implementation all make it worth it.

But even then, OnShape is right there and has the immediate benefit of saving capital expenditure because you can run it on any machine and the commercial versions include really good and easy to use PLM tools. It even runs on the same kernel as SOLIDWORKS, so a lot of good habits are transferable.

E: Hadlock is correct:

SOLIDWORKS still has a bunch of advantages, but they’re becoming a question of scale. It’s starting to get more hooked into larger factory ERP and MES systems that are more applicable to Boeing than your local machine shop.

Even then a step above is CATIA for more complex facility design, that was created first and foremost for aerospace.

Sorry for :words: but I really do like being a CAD industry nerd and I hope that this is informative for some folks.

This is the place for :words: about CAD. Just post.

Unrelated, a couple weeks ago autodesk had an outage that disconnected fusion from the servers all day. I then spent the rest of the day helping people access their stuff.

I had trained everyone to restart their pc before they came to get me when they had an issue or anything acted weird. With the servers out fusion tried to start offline and got hung up on some join a team question. Disconnecting the internet with good timing got around that. It was a huge pain.

Being "cloud based" is fusions largest sin imo.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i just had some fusion 360 fun, printed a model for someone but shrunk to 53% scale from its original size. it had some small window details that when shrunk that small just would not print. Told the person it wasnt working out but they wanted it anyways and had no issues with the messed up windows, but I said actually, i have some calipers, fusion 360 and a laser cutter, i bet i can make something.
pretty happy, this was first try and they fit perfectly.

here's the fail

and the new ones i made:

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
If anything that looks even better than the printed in windows.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i agree, i was waiting for them to ask me to do the rest of the windows that style lol.

here's the complete building, popcan for scale, its wee:

i was surprised i could get the laser to cut that small, its gotta be .5mm thickness on those small windows

queeb fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 6, 2022

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That kicks rear end!!!!

Cory Parsnipson
Nov 15, 2015
Yes, very cool! Combining laser cutting and the 3d print gave it a nice effect.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah im actually surprised how nice it looks. poo poo i may just cut a few sheets of different windows and stuff, i bet there's someone out there that would buy some neat windows to use on their own stuff, like model train buildings and things.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Some more questions on F360 best practices. I'm trying to change my way of using it and now I am using my houses original paper blueprints to recreate a pretty accurate model of it in CAD (will make it easier to see how changes would affect the look). And I'm trying to separate parts into components as much as possible and doing it when I create them. I used to mostly just create bodies, then after all that was done I would move them into components and arrange things, but this is not a good practice if it can be avoided.

Still, when I work with say making the studs for the walls, I make one new component from a sketch (wall stud profile 2x6" then extrude to correct height), then I use the pattern tool to make a row of CC-600mm studs, but I make those as new bodies. So for example the back wall is one component with many bodies, so are the gable and front walls, 4 components total.

Instead of components on components on components, like Back wall is a component, then each stud underneath is a separate component. Is that the way to do it?

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Dec 7, 2022

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Yeah just have like Back Wall as a component >activate that ‘Back Wall’ component>create new component ’Stud’>make pattern using ‘Stud’ component, and it will make every stud in the pattern it’s own new component.

‘Back Wall’ will now a be an assembly or w/e the term is (symbol will change to three little blocks in the tree). If you want to get really organized, instead of using the ‘stud’ component to make the pattern, make a stud component in the ‘stud’ component and use that to make the pattern out of. Then you have an assembly called ‘Studs’ that has all the studs in it and you can collapse that in the tree easily. Similarly, make an assembly for ‘wall sheathing’ or whatever, and then it’s really easy to show/hide things or change materials as a group.

As far as I can tell you can have sub-assemblies of of sub-assemblies ad Infinitum

E: I can’t remember specifics, but there may be times when you don’t want to use the pattern command. I think if you modify the original that everything is patterned off of, it will change all of them? I think it depends on where the changes happen in the timeline. Sometimes Move/Copy > Paste New is better when you want a copy of something but plan to modify one or the other.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 7, 2022

bred
Oct 24, 2008
For what you're describing, I'd draw a block of what I could measure. So a room or closet would be a rectangular bowl or the whole house would be one piece. Then i make it transparent and flush out (flush in?) the details within the volume as I need them. I don't have visual access to the things in my wall so I'd hesitate to predict the framing before opening a wall. And at the point that it is open, the time pressures would push me to do it live. I'm much more confident in SW so I see that I'm stumbling through fusion for my personal projects and try to get enough there to make a decision and move on.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I did make the foundation a solid base to simplify that. But I figured while I am at it, why not try and model the outside as well as possible. To get as accurate a model as possible. I am mostly interested in the outside so far.

I have photo documentation from building the house as well as all the plans. Except the designers original cad stuff. No idea what they even used. But using the plans really helped me get things looking right and I got stuff like the height of the lower point of the roof trusses to within 50mm of what I measured with a tape outside.

And I can already see before it's all done, that this terrace roof is looking crazy long and I don't think it'll be remotely possible to built it without a center support. Even with that I think I would shovel the snow off it in winter.

Actual house for reference

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Is there not a weldments or structure systems equivalent for Fusion? You do a 3D sketch, identify primary members and the profile for them?

I have watched folks design an entire gazebo in a single 3D sketch and it’s very cool.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Why a permanent ladder to the roof?

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

withak posted:

Why a permanent ladder to the roof?

The great white north, I'd imagine. Same with the snow breakers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Legal requirement. Also never heard of a 3d sketch before. I have real problems wrapping my head around that idea. Like isn't a 3d sketch what 3d modelling is.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Dec 8, 2022