Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
The mistake of success

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

DarkHorse posted:

The mistake of success

What do I think of suc-cess it sucks

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Just had an $8 cream puff it was real good

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Try launching with this product, Rationale. We believe in you!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Admiralty Flag posted:

Would eat that donut.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Admiralty Flag posted:

drat that looks good

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

OP have you applied for a liquor license yet?

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Tnuctip posted:

OP have you applied for a liquor license yet?

Speaking of liquor, Blue Star used to make a donut with a Cointreau glaze that came with an ampoule of Cointreau that you'd squeeze into the filling of your donut just before you ate it. Given my issues with drinking, I would throw the ampoule away, but the donut was divine -- taste and texture of the glaze mixed with the crème filling was >chef's kiss<. They also had a lemon poppyseed donut that was impossibly good. Unfortunately, sometime around the beginning of Covid, they went to a reduced menu and neither were offered anymore, at least at the locations I stopped in on my trips through Portland back in 2020. (Haven't been back through since.)

I never used to like donuts. It took moving to Seattle and trying Top Pot on a recommendation to get me to like donuts. Then Blue Star made me love donuts. Will Rationalized Donuts make me move to Ohio so I can hook myself up to a Homer-in-Hell-style donut feeding machine?

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Admiralty Flag posted:

Will Rationalized Donuts make me move to Ohio so I can hook myself up to a Homer-in-Hell-style donut feeding machine?
I mean, the building Rationale showed us definitely has the right ambience for such a machine. I’m pretty sure they filmed at least one of the Saw movies there.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Admiralty Flag posted:

Speaking of liquor, Blue Star used to make a donut with a Cointreau glaze that came with an ampoule of Cointreau that you'd squeeze into the filling of your donut just before you ate it. Given my issues with drinking, I would throw the ampoule away, but the donut was divine -- taste and texture of the glaze mixed with the crème filling was >chef's kiss<. They also had a lemon poppyseed donut that was impossibly good. Unfortunately, sometime around the beginning of Covid, they went to a reduced menu and neither were offered anymore, at least at the locations I stopped in on my trips through Portland back in 2020. (Haven't been back through since.)

I never used to like donuts. It took moving to Seattle and trying Top Pot on a recommendation to get me to like donuts. Then Blue Star made me love donuts. Will Rationalized Donuts make me move to Ohio so I can hook myself up to a Homer-in-Hell-style donut feeding machine?

Apparently Blue Star is back in business. Friend of mine said they went by and got a donut at one of their new locations recently. Good to hear, cuz they're my favorite donut shop in PDX. The blueberry bourbon basil is :discourse:

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
I am still confused why people are talking about making good coffee and donuts.

Just make cheap slop and people will buy it because of local convenience. No one buys 2 dozen artisanal donuts to bring to the office on Fridays.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Why would I want to spend my time putting out cheap slop?

Whatever you do every day I’m sure you’re at least aiming to do a nice job of it.

I’d like to get it where people are like “oh -you- do the donuts? How do you make them so good?” “Where’d you get this coffee?” “Would you be interested in giving a Ted talk?”

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Rationale posted:

Whatever you do every day I’m sure you’re at least aiming to do a nice job of it.

I’d like to get it where people are like “oh -you- do the donuts? How do you make them so good?” “Where’d you get this coffee?” “Would you be interested in giving a Ted talk?”

Followed by “oh you went out of business?“ and “yeah I guess there was no way to plan for traffic patterns or cash flow in advance.”

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Projected on the screen behind me during my TED talk to admiring gasps from the audience

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

This is the before picture.

The "after" picture is going to be a shot of a super cute gourmet donut shop in Chelsea.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

The after pic is a lot nicer.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
I think he quickly took down the first round of interior shots, but it seemed like a 50-100 hours of cleaning sort of scenario.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
Easily that much just in hauling out trash then I’ll have to pry up the floor and cut a ditch in the concrete then wheelbarrow rubble out to a dumpster I’ll be a busy little bee

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Packed to the gills with stuff, a lot of which cannot be effectively moved by a lone human, at least not without a good dolly etc. The old radios and brick a brack are kinda fun tho

Rationale posted:

Common people food (fried dough) can be high quality. Wanna be rich people food (that Portland abomination) can be low quality. Someone without a sophisticated baking background should stick to the simple recipe

I got an idea for blue stars next special: Indian Tacos. Made with free range bison, foraged greens, and glazed with a reduction of genuine lacrimal secretions from the trail of tears.

Epitope fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 4, 2022

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

Oil! posted:

I am still confused why people are talking about making good coffee and donuts.

Just make cheap slop and people will buy it because of local convenience. No one buys 2 dozen artisanal donuts to bring to the office on Fridays.

eh my boss will buy us some every so often.

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Rationale posted:

"Oh, you used 'self-rising dough'? What is that, exactly?" "And your main expertise is plumbing, you say?" "Have you ever had a donut?"

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Giraffe posted:

"Oh, you used 'self-rising dough'? What is that, exactly?" "And your main expertise is plumbing, you say?" "Have you ever had a donut?"

oh man I just realized the perfect name to sum up the new enterprise and OP's plumbing specialty

Fatberg's

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
I was thinking sweet pea’s cafe or sweet pea’s or the sweet pea

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Rationale posted:

Sweet! Pee.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Since you're targeting high schoolers, is that deliberate?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Didn't you say that the building is down a dirt road or something?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Rationale posted:

Local Perkins ownership doesn’t want to be Perkins anymore because Perkins is telling them they have to do all kinds of poo poo to be Perkins lol

What requirements change while they were a Perkins? From what I remember, a Tim Hortons tried to open in my area but they required a franchise fee along with a percentage of sales every month and that proved to be costly to that particular business.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
idle thought, maybe been covered already, but what's the plumbing situation like for this building, and what kind of grease trap is going to be required?

i've been in a pretty small kitchen (maybe about 15'x6') that did ~400 covers a day that managed to get by with an external grease trap hooked up to the outflow of our only dish sink (though it was a piece of poo poo and caused no end of problems for our dishwashers), but every single other kitchen had the grease trap underground somewhere before the sewer line

having never had to build a restaurant from scratch, i only know about maintaining and operating them, but not the code/installation considerations. having worked only in places on a sewer line, i have no idea what considerations sceptic systems might need to consider, but worth looking into, maybe including in your questions to your city/county health department. if you haven't already

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I worked for a place that had a grease trap connected right to the sink. The owner ignored it until the thing was so full it backed up into the sink. He then flipped his poo poo about having to empty it after two years

It was a gourmet popcorn place where chocolate, peanut butter, cheese, various powders, and also popcorn went down the drain regularly.

Yes it was a small local business run by a petty tyrant

forcedstealthlevel
Jun 26, 2021
What’s the vent hood situation? Is there a funeral home next door? Where’s the nearest subway? Do you know how to do oil changes?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Len posted:

I worked for a place that had a grease trap connected right to the sink. The owner ignored it until the thing was so full it backed up into the sink. He then flipped his poo poo about having to empty it after two years

It was a gourmet popcorn place where chocolate, peanut butter, cheese, various powders, and also popcorn went down the drain regularly.

Yes it was a small local business run by a petty tyrant

christ, ours had to be emptied at least quarterly and by that time it was so foul. we probably we're sending a lot more volume into ours, but i can't imagine letting one of those fuckers fester right under my dishpit for 2 entire years. the smell must have been unimaginable

Socialized
Oct 27, 2010

lobsterminator posted:

The after pic is a lot nicer.

Honest question about this place: what’s the speed limit on the road? This looks like the kind of place that’s on a 45 or 55 MPH road, and in my experience can be miserable to get in and out of.

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'
One time a grease trap was hooked up backward and they sent me in with a hand pick and a five gallon bucket. I threw my clothes away but the stink got in my pores and I was nasty for weeks.

one time I forgot to account for the manholes and had to try to hurry up and dig deeper while truck driver stood there tapping his foot.

Grease traps are the nastiest thing

Rationale
May 17, 2005

America runs on in'

Socialized posted:

Honest question about this place: what’s the speed limit on the road? This looks like the kind of place that’s on a 45 or 55 MPH road, and in my experience can be miserable to get in and out of.

It’s 35

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

forcedstealthlevel posted:

W? Do you know how to do oil changes?

Is it like a car

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m having an Apple fritter and an iced coffee rn

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Rationale posted:

Unless this has some sort of hidden meaning that I don’t get, I would advise against this name because it scream organic vegetarian cafe to me, and doesn’t have anything in it that says coffee and doughnut place.

You want something that at least partially signals what sort of things you sell.

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Dec 5, 2022

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Sweet Pea's sounds like a children's clothing consignment shop. Just call it what it is, Donuts and Coffee, or name it after yourself. If your product is great the name won't matter, and if your product sucks a catchy name won't save you. Also you want people driving by to glance at your shop and immediately know what you're selling.

bizwank fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Dec 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

still think you should go with Donut Hovel