Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Al-Saqr posted:

Finished the entire Recruit Edition Terrain Set! :dance:

Overall, I'm happy with the results, doing these really helped come to understand miniature painting everyone's advice here helped so much, thank you! I still need to work on making smoother coats especially as I work on more elegant looking miniatures, I need to learn to do smoother transitions of color, adding the rust powder was interesting! although I kinda wish I could've found a darker tone for the rust than what I had but overall, I'm glad! I'm ready to move on to making characters and the into the dark terrain!

I also need to figure out a more clearer lighting setup, lets see...

Critiques/Advice/comments are welcome!

I find I get a lot of mileage out of sponging a silver/metallic on metal terrain for some quick and dirty weathering, it would probably work well with all the brightly painted stuff you have going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Al-Saqr posted:

one thing that is pissing me off slightly though is that there are alot of tutorials on youtube that keep using citadel contrast paint and I dont have any other than Agrax Shade, I'd like to try and do as much as possible without them because I dont want to spend any more on paints and shipping.

A few pages back but just make your own contrast-like paints if you don’t want/can’t buy citadel paints. Buy some Flow Improver (Vallejo ideally, but others are fine) and buy some matte medium. Get a dropper bottle and add 1/2 flow improved, 1/2 medium. Shake well before each use. Start with 1 drop of paint and 1 drop of the solution. More paint is generally darker/heavier layers, more solution for thinner.

You can experiment more from there. You can do glaze medium and flow improver, change the ratios, etc. You can try it with inks instead of paints to get an effect more like Speed Paints than contrast paints.

This will also help a lot with thinning your paints and layers until you get a good feel of it on your own. The flow improver and medium will make your paint nice and thin so you’ll have to do more layers.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Saltpowered posted:

A few pages back but just make your own contrast-like paints if you don’t want/can’t buy citadel paints. Buy some Flow Improver (Vallejo ideally, but others are fine) and buy some matte medium. Get a dropper bottle and add 1/2 flow improved, 1/2 medium. Shake well before each use. Start with 1 drop of paint and 1 drop of the solution. More paint is generally darker/heavier layers, more solution for thinner.

You can experiment more from there. You can do glaze medium and flow improver, change the ratios, etc. You can try it with inks instead of paints to get an effect more like Speed Paints than contrast paints.

This will also help a lot with thinning your paints and layers until you get a good feel of it on your own. The flow improver and medium will make your paint nice and thin so you’ll have to do more layers.

thanks man! I'll order a bottle of Flow improver now!

Any normal acrylic medium like Liquitex works yes? they have plenty of that in the local stores.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone have color re ecomendations for airbrushing a cyber demon? I have some models that are more or less similar to this guy and am angling for a more DOOM color scheme.

Looking to stick with Vallejo air when possible

Not sure about paint colors but this is a pretty Blanchitsu Color palette

If I was painting that I would stick to:
Yellow Ochre
Pure red. (Actually scarlet or vermillion but I don’t remember VMA having those)
Dark grey, such as German grey
Maybe black
White
Orange
Maaaybe yellow, and dark blue

Ochre+red for skin, adding ochre to build up to mid tone then add White to build to highlights
Grey(black?)+red for under skin building up to pure red for highlights, then red+orange for final highlights, or OSL glow
Lights go pure orange then add yellow for highlights, OSL in orange-yellow
Metallics are either blue gunmetal+steel, then steel, then chrome for TMM
Or
Grey + white and maybe a drop of blue building to pure white for NMM

I think that should get you close, experimentation is always required.

Edit: oh, there’s a lot of magenta in the shadows of the skin. You should be able to get that by watering down a violet to a glaze.

Edit edit: oh yeah the dark grey was also to mix with the red and ochre to make it browner for where that’s needed. I guess that’s important too.

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 4, 2022

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Al-Saqr posted:

Any normal acrylic medium like Liquitex works yes? they have plenty of that in the local stores.

Yep? I use Liquitex. I have a variety of mediums that I mix at different consistencies with paints for different effects. I get the most use of matte medium and glaze but gloss has some uses too. One bottle of medium and flow improver will last years.

Since we’re talking about metallics recently, I tried the suggestion someone made of using a base coat of metal medium and then covering it with speed paint for different colored metals. Worked out excellent on the Gravelords army I’ve been working on. The armor is coming out metallic and colorful with no clogged details. Looks really good with red and other bright colors too.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

While I was at Midwest Game Fest, my black friday haul showed up. Ridiculously huge discounts.

DaVinci had their $300 Joyce signature oil palette on sale for $100 when it's normally $300, so I grabbed that, which came with a free 150ml tube of titanium white. Another free tube of titanium white for black friday bs, plus tubes of lamp black, raw umber, and burnt umber.

usa airbrush had a similarly bonkers sale, so for just over $100 that's a bunch of cleaner, a bunch of primer, another airbrush, and some bonus poo poo they had sitting around like mixing cups and neon fabric paint. I have no idea what I'm going to do with neon fabric paint.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Airbrush some kickin' rad T shirts

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

Airbrush some kickin' rad T shirts

Alas, my freehand is absolute trash, on top of me not wearing t-shirts. Nobody wants a kickin' rad polo, least of all me.

They're acrylics, though, so theoretically they should work fine on minis, and who can't use neon green, orange, and purple?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Al-Saqr posted:

Fine arts stuff works just fine for miniatures btw, just do a little bit of research if their properties are fine for the scale of miniatures. I basically just use Liquitex Acrylic Gouache in place of most my hobby paint now, the only colours I spray on top of primer are Liquitex Inks and any oil paint you use is just artist grade stuff anyway.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Saltpowered posted:

Get a dropper bottle and add 1/2 flow improved, 1/2 medium.

Do you mean straight up raw dog flow improver here? Or the 20:1 water/flow improver mixture everyone recommends? I was under the impression flow improver is stupid powerful, like bleach.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Putrid Grin posted:

May I ask how did you get this desaturated minty color on the walls?

I went back and played with it, and it was Army Painter Scaly Hide. In the process, I also found out that it highlights nicely with Reaper Dungeon Slime.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Marx Headroom posted:

Do you mean straight up raw dog flow improver here? Or the 20:1 water/flow improver mixture everyone recommends? I was under the impression flow improver is stupid powerful, like bleach.

I mix it half and half with medium or 1/4 improver with 3/4 medium. Tweak to person tastes and the. You are going to blend that with some paint. So it’s not going to be that runny.

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

I'm pretty new to miniature painting, I sort of started at the same time I started 3d printing. For primer I have Army Painter cans. How feasible is it to prime this Malboro I just printed with rattle cans? Feels like I'll miss half of it no matter what. I'm starting to see why space marines are so popular, they're just big blocks of dudes.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
In theory you should be able to spray anything that you can see. So anything that doesn't get primed shouldn't be visible.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

I'm pretty new to miniature painting, I sort of started at the same time I started 3d printing. For primer I have Army Painter cans. How feasible is it to prime this Malboro I just printed with rattle cans? Feels like I'll miss half of it no matter what. I'm starting to see why space marines are so popular, they're just big blocks of dudes.

My suggestion is several light coats of spray primer. Don't worry about getting everything in the first pass.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Just found a local art shops with a ton of normal folk art craft acrylic paints and shades, looks like my days of ordering normal paint off amazon for environments is over! :dance:

Now I can afford to be a lot weirder and experimental with my color choices for environments! :hmmorks:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I picked up a cheap Nighthaunt lot and thought I'd paint it up inspired by the red ghost from Crimson Peak. This Spirit Torment was my test model.

These guys are so fun to just go hog wild on

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Looks rad.

I semi finished this guy. Despite being different paints and washes the colour of the cloak and the pants seemed to want to become nearly identical. Does anyone have suggestions? I tried to pull reference from the GoT show for the greyjoys but they suffer from the same all brown or black leather scheme as well.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Hey guys, the people who sold me this drone model didnt include the parts that connects the base of the drone and the gun turret itself, which is insane, at first I thought I was gonna go straight-faced and make a purely metal cool drone, but after this thievery from the people who sold me the drone I decided to be more creative and used it as a way to practice using green stuff for the first time on a low-stakes model, I decided I'd go for a 'possessed drone' that's being controlled by some warp creature, with tentacles bursting out of it, and then there's the main 'eye' on top of the robot 'eye, then three eyeballs on each Gatling gun for 360 vision.

would love critiques and advice thanks!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Looks great, but I also love octopi anyways

nothing really reads as an "eyeball" by itself though, maybe the middle section has two eyes

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Looks great, but I also love octopi anyways

nothing really reads as an "eyeball" by itself though, maybe the middle section has two eyes

hmm here is what I was thinking:-

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
That's awesome, go for it

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

I need to know where this miniature came from

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Al-Saqr posted:

Hey guys, the people who sold me this drone model didnt include the parts that connects the base of the drone and the gun turret itself, which is insane, at first I thought I was gonna go straight-faced and make a purely metal cool drone, but after this thievery from the people who sold me the drone I decided to be more creative and used it as a way to practice using green stuff for the first time on a low-stakes model, I decided I'd go for a 'possessed drone' that's being controlled by some warp creature, with tentacles bursting out of it, and then there's the main 'eye' on top of the robot 'eye, then three eyeballs on each Gatling gun for 360 vision.

Holy poo poo, is that your first time working with greenstuff? If so, great job.

It really is like dicking around with play dough sometimes.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012
Kris X-postin' will make ya Horus Heresy...

Major Spag posted:

IDK what you're doing in your life if'n yer not posting HH.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Major Spag posted:

Kris X-postin' will make ya Horus Heresy...

Outstanding. A+, would view post again.

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

Lumpy posted:

Outstanding. A+, would view post again.

:3: Thank you!

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Major Spag posted:

:3: Thank you!

Seriously, those are amazing. I'm totally stealing that jet exhaust thing you did.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Another gross boy done. A Krulghast Cruciator for my Scarlet Doom Nighthaunt

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I guess I've been playing too much Darktide because I want to make an Inquisitorial retinue for something like Stargrave or 5 Parsecs or Space Station Zero, which leads me to ask - any good recommendations for an Inquisitor model that looks decent with 40k minis?

The Inquisitor models from GW don't really vibe with me. I know Forge World has some Necromunda characters that could work, but I'm curious if there's any other good studios - physical or 3D printing - with good alternatives (I feel like there was one in Poland or something doing decent resin minis, but I can't remember the name of the studio at all).

The bulk of the retinue would be mostly normal 40k minis - specifically AdMech, Sisters, Elucidian Starstriders, and Tempestus Scions with some slight conversions

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Got this guy out of a blind box, but MollyMetroid can sell him. My copy got printed at like 300% or some poo poo, the base is like 2.5 inches across or so.

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-ildamos-half-blood-abyss-demon-hero-112755

CHaKKaWaKka
Aug 6, 2001

I've chosen my next victim. Cry tears of joy it's not you!

S.J. posted:

I need to know where this miniature came from

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-malbush-bad-plant-32mm-dnd-222402

RNEstudio has a whole line of JRPG inspired minis, they're great

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
Unsure if i should camo up gaunts cloak and if i should, what pattern

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Sewn from the skins of literal gaunts.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Al-Saqr posted:

would love critiques and advice thanks!

this is amazing. the purple with yellow eyes would look really good

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Cthulu Carl posted:

I guess I've been playing too much Darktide because I want to make an Inquisitorial retinue for something like Stargrave or 5 Parsecs or Space Station Zero, which leads me to ask - any good recommendations for an Inquisitor model that looks decent with 40k minis?

The Inquisitor models from GW don't really vibe with me. I know Forge World has some Necromunda characters that could work, but I'm curious if there's any other good studios - physical or 3D printing - with good alternatives (I feel like there was one in Poland or something doing decent resin minis, but I can't remember the name of the studio at all).

The bulk of the retinue would be mostly normal 40k minis - specifically AdMech, Sisters, Elucidian Starstriders, and Tempestus Scions with some slight conversions

I don't have any specific models to recommend offhand, but depending on how interested in conversions you are, the Inq28 "community" (various blogs, instagrams, et cetera that use it as a shared tag) have years worth of content to work with. Seen a lot of beautiful work done even with relatively minimal conversion.

The studio you're thinking of might be Wargame Exclusive, I know they at least used to have quite a few Inquisitor models (as long as you avoid the female models...) and are somewhere in eastern Europe.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Pierzak posted:

Sewn from the skins of literal gaunts.

I like it, but i went with a tigerstripe!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

CHaKKaWaKka posted:

https://www.myminifactory.com/object/3d-print-malbush-bad-plant-32mm-dnd-222402

RNEstudio has a whole line of JRPG inspired minis, they're great

Holy poo poo thank you

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
A couple recent guys

Edit: awful app says I’m just uploading one guy apparently

Toebone fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

I don't have any specific models to recommend offhand, but depending on how interested in conversions you are, the Inq28 "community" (various blogs, instagrams, et cetera that use it as a shared tag) have years worth of content to work with. Seen a lot of beautiful work done even with relatively minimal conversion.

The studio you're thinking of might be Wargame Exclusive, I know they at least used to have quite a few Inquisitor models (as long as you avoid the female models...) and are somewhere in eastern Europe.

Yeah, I've started to lean towards trying some conversions. The headswaps I did on my Scions look good enough (Oh god, I made these in 2018 and still haven't painted them...). Maybe I'll practice by turning the scribe lady from the Reiquant At Arms kit into a psyker.

I really need to paint these Scions, though because goddamn, Empire heads work on them: