Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’m playing Life is Strange True Colors and if possible I would like to live in a small Colorado mountain town and live a carefree and simple life and die surrounded by friends around 80.

E: not that the game is trouble free lives but when you can just walk around and stuff it’s a pretty sweet gig

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I guess I’d like to live there if the game was called Life is Good and I just worked at a music shop and spent my nights hanging at a cool bar with friends

E: not that I don’t have friends now but my situation is different than those of the characters in the game

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

More like old...painless....? :negative:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Problem is that there are no cute small towns in America where you can have a cushy job that pays enough to be comfortable.

Either live in a suffocating city or in a small town and do meth.

Or in suburbia, so far removed from humanity that you become a selfish ghoul.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Problem is that there are no cute small towns in America where you can have a cushy job that pays enough to be comfortable.

Either live in a suffocating city or in a small town and do meth.

Or in suburbia, so far removed from humanity that you become a selfish ghoul.

What we need is some kind of American Otacon... inspired by video games to get into real estate and create a lovely little town where people can thrive and afford houses and anyone trying to establish a HOA fiefdom is put in the stocks and pelted with tomatoes till they can recite every grievance against them off the top of their head...

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

As someone who has seen through Gilmore Girls a few times, it's infuriating seeing people idealizing a town that couldn't exist because the entire industry is based around winter festivals.

I've been all across the country and small towns can be fine but none I've seen are idyllic. More often than not it's rapidly dying and those that stay are bored out of their minds.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

oldpainless posted:

I guess I’d like to live there if the game was called Life is Good and I just worked at a music shop and spent my nights hanging at a cool bar with friends

This is pretty much the prequel dlc

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just beat Perseus in God of War 2 (PS2). A very fun fight, I enjoyed stripping him of all his godly artefacts until he was rendered helpless. I now have the spear of destiny.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One thing I like in God Of War 2 is that all the bosses get lavish introductory cutscenes but you just kill them without ceremony in a QTE at the end of the battle. So when you watch all the cutscenes in order it's all a boss saying "now we shall see who is the greatest fighter in all of Greece!" and then the next cutscene is Kratos doing something else entirely half an hour later

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Turning into a cat all the time can take a bit of getting used to.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

2house2fly posted:

One thing I like in God Of War 2 is that all the bosses get lavish introductory cutscenes but you just kill them without ceremony in a QTE at the end of the battle. So when you watch all the cutscenes in order it's all a boss saying "now we shall see who is the greatest fighter in all of Greece!" and then the next cutscene is Kratos doing something else entirely half an hour later

Kratos graphically caving in Hercules face is therapeutic when you remember he's voiced by Kevin Sorbo.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Kratos graphically caving in Hercules face is therapeutic when you remember he's voiced by Kevin Sorbo.

Almost as satisfying as the endless QTE in God of War 3 when you finally beat (and keep beating) Zeus.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

oldpainless posted:

I’m playing Life is Strange True Colors and if possible I would like to live in a small Colorado mountain town and live a carefree and simple life and die surrounded by friends around 80.

E: not that the game is trouble free lives but when you can just walk around and stuff it’s a pretty sweet gig

Yeah, when I first played it I thought the world designers really laid it on a bit too thick with how picturesque the place looked. But then I saw some behind the scenes thing of where they got their inspiration from, and it turns out there really are towns that pretty much look just like that. And even knowing that small town life would probably drive me insane in short order, it sure feels tempting as hell. :allears:

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I lived in a small Wisconsin town in Oneida County (The northern part of the state), and it was as peaceful and as boring as you might expect, but goddamn was it gorgeous.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
They also got Harry Hamlin to return to voice Perseus, which is really cool.

Along similar lines, I give DoB a lot of poo poo but one thing it gets right, and one of the highlights of the old games, is character design. I absolutely love the designs for the gods, monsters and heroes throughout the God of War games, even the bad ones.

I am basically forever Mad that they only released statues for Zeus, Hades and Hercules and never got around to making the others.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 23:57 on Dec 3, 2022

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I never got to finish Final Fantasy XII as a kid because my copy was scratched to hell, and I'm finally getting around to playing it on PC. Two things are really jumping out:

1. I love that it immediately dumps you out with Steal and a bunch of enemies to rob early in the game. I sold off a bunch of stuff, immediately got some better gear, and quickly found how to revert my license board all within about an hour. As a kid I wandered way too much and felt like it took forever to get just this far

2. The orchestral music is so loving good, I walked around the city for a little while just vibing and shopping. :allears:

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

The more I consider it, I think that GoW 2 was the best one. Everything's over the top but in a manageable way compared to the third one,from the Colossus fight to the barbarian leader and the fates. I swear it has the best qtes too.

It reminds me of Saints Row 2 in a lot of ways. It's silly, but not as nudge nudge wink wink silly as it's sequels in a way that really works for the game.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I like 3 because it's so bombastic and ridiculous, but 2 is the better game in many ways.

3's intro is one of my favorite things in all gaming, tho.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think anyone generally considers anything but 2 to be the best. 1 has quite a few problems, and it felt like they were running out of steam by III, even with how bombastic it is. I won't even mention Ascension or the two PSP titles.

II has a killer intro, the best subweapons in the franchise, and is longer to boot.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I would kill for a remaster of all the games so I could play through them on my PS5 and figure out why this Kratos dude is so surly.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I really want to go back to the older ones since I didn't play a whole lot of them back in the day, but I tried the 3 remaster earlier this year and had a tough time getting back into the older system :(

I'll give it another shot someday.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Push El Burrito posted:

I would kill for a remaster of all the games so I could play through them on my PS5 and figure out why this Kratos dude is so surly.

This one's a non-spoiler - was tricked by the gods into killing his wife and child, and their ashes are magically bound to his skin which is why he's so pale.
His attempts to get revenge on various gods just meant that other gods and titans got to dick him around even more.

By GOW2018 he's basically of the opinion that any significant action he takes is going to cause a bunch of destruction for not much gain. You can use this as an excuse for why he only sometimes goes superstrong.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Note that he was tricked by Ares only, and the trick consisted of "Now Kratos, DO NOT go into this building and kill everyone inside".

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't think anyone generally considers anything but 2 to be the best. 1 has quite a few problems, and it felt like they were running out of steam by III, even with how bombastic it is. I won't even mention Ascension or the two PSP titles.

II has a killer intro, the best subweapons in the franchise, and is longer to boot.

The two PSP games are actually pretty good, with their main problem being how much they had to cut them down to fit on a handheld. I have a soft spot for Chains just cause it almost could be a lost Greek myth.

3 also gets points for me cause you can play as Apollo with a costume, and Apollo likewise was a potential threat to overthrowing Zeus in myth.

Ascension is real bad tho, no question.

Byzantine has a new favorite as of 04:26 on Dec 4, 2022

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

The true fans know that god of war Betrayal is the real mvp qtiyd

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Betrayal wasn't bad at all (given it was a 2d sidescrolling mobile game), but it was pointedly ignored by all the other games.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Now I wonder how Kratos and Zagreus would get on.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Agents are GO! posted:

Now I wonder how Kratos and Zagreus would get on.

Zagreus seeing the spinning blade platforming gauntlet from the end of GoW1 and just deciding maybe leaving the Underworld isn't worth it.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Zag and Atreus running around Hades halls playing slapass and trying to figure out which dad is yelling “Boy!” at which boy.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hades and Kratos as soccer dads.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The other gods are pretty lovely too though. In the first game he works for them under the assumption that he will be forgiven and the nightmares will stop. Naturally at the end of the game Athena says that he’s forgiven but says she never promised to do poo poo about the nightmares.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The first game also has a frame story of Kratos is flashing back while trying to kill himself by jumping off a cliff to escape said nightmares but instead he’s saved and made the new god of war

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Hell, a fun crossover could be with Immortals: Fenyx Rising - Ares goes through what he went through on the island with Athena, Aphrodite, Zeus, Hermes and Haephestus while Kratos seeks pandora's box, and by the time Kratos gets back from Hades he's had time to think about how he's treated Kratos and is genuinely contrite. Not that he can do anything about it, after all, what do you even SAY in that situation, but he's consumed by regret because his interactions with Fenyx have made him really consider his relationship to humanity. Or maybe Fenyx Rising Ares and God of War 4 Kratos - Ares and Athena finally willing to apologise and Kratos finally willing to forgive, and together they try to calm down the Norse gods before that escalates too much further.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Baldr never did recover from starring in Too Human though and got into the meth.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Baldr never did recover from starring in Too Human though and got into the meth.

The thing I'm most curious about with God of War Ragnarok is how 4 left off with Freya - I'm curious how the new Kratos will deal with a new friend turning vengeful for something that wasn't his fault, but a necessary evil. To clarify, I want no clarifications obviously, it's just the plot hook I'm most curious about. I'm hoping to get Ragnarok for Christmas so I can find out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is a fairly big part of the story.

RGX
Sep 23, 2004
Unstoppable
I've finally got around to Far Cry 5, and playing it directly after Ghost Recon: Wildlands makes for an interesting compare and contrast. Both Ubisoft games (although different studios), both huge open world collectathons, one released roughly a year after the other. I get the definite sense that the FC5 team looked heavily at Wildlands during its development.

GR:W is gigantic, beautifully rendered, and very atmospheric.....its just lacking personality. Because its tied to a sort of "casual mil-sim" expectation, the game never feels comfortable leaning into the thing that its best at, which is the inevitable madness created by its sandbox. The game is brilliant, but it can't come up with anything better than "defeat military base/kill enemy leader" as a mission structure because...well, what else would special forces do? It's po-faced writing is at odds with the silliness that will inevitably erupt when you give players a gigantic toybox full of helicopters and guns.

Far Cry 5s biggest achievement is that it leans into the humor, while still keeping the beauty and the atmosphere. The game is so deft at dancing between moods that it catches you off-guard constantly, and thats an awesome trick for a game to pull. Its got almost a wistfullness about it at points, twanging strings, whistling cornfields, moments that really immerse you into the setting. The cult that you are hunting down are at points monstrous, torturous, brutal and sadistic, and without some respite it would quite easily become depressing.

Just as well you run into a mad scientist trying to teleport himself to mars from his trailer then. Or a small town cook who wants you to collect bull testicles for a festival. Or a guy whos busied himself during the coming apocalypse by building a soundsystem in the woods that attracts the most drug-addled cultists into his trailer park, where he flamethrowers them to death to disco music. There are SO many side stories and bits of world building to keep you entertained, its genuinely impressive.

I normally cant stand video game humor, and I guess looking back over that im probably making it sound cheaper and more "zany" than it actually is. But all these silly little stories, dotted in amongst heavy themes, mean that the game constantly feels like a breath of fresh air. It never gets too heavy, it never gets too light, but no matter where you go or what you do there is personality and world-building in spades. Its a brilliant, brilliant game and I'm sorry I didnt get round to it sooner.

EDIT: Oh I almost forgot. At one point I was sneaking my way through the woods at night, on my way to free a hostage from a cult torture den. I spotted a flickering fire on a hilltop, and the strum of a lone acoustic guitar. I made my way over, and found a couple slow dancing in the moonlight in front of a campfire, as their friends played an acoustic version of "Where did you sleep last night". That kind of little touch, that I could have easily missed, is the thing that makes the difference between a world that feels alive, and an empty sandbox.

RGX has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Dec 4, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

It is a fairly big part of the story.

I had figured that it would be, I'm just saying it's the hook I'm most interested in.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Just played though Psychonauts for the first time in 10 years and The Milkman Conspiracy remains one of the most remarkable levels in any video game. Just phenomenal humour and amazing geometry.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just beat God of War 2 on ps2. I loved the ending with Kratos bringing the titans to the future from before they were bound and leading them up Olympus, with "The End Begins..." as the finale title card. That was a cool idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
That ending had me so hype back in 07. My friend was disappointed that they ended on a cliffhanger but personally I figured you know how the story would continue from there anyway