Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
Should just chop a few seconds off the shield cd, give noelle another star and pop her in there. That'll save them from putting in anyone too good. It should've been a polearm, but there's not really a good geo polearm to put in the sadness gacha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Geo is lame and I don't want one of them reducing my odds of pulling Keqing/Jean/Tighnari :colbert:

Well, maybe if they pulled a Nilou and made them completely change the cryatalize reaction into something better (good).

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Only idea I've got that wouldn't specifically involve transforming geo reactions would be to do more with constructs and create some kind of natural synergy between new construct characters (in whatever element) and existing geo characters. Could then just make a new 5 star to throw on the standard banner that does something with them as well.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
they tried to do that with zhongli way back at the beginning but then they made his shockwaves do literally 0 damage so even if you went all in on the geo construct gimmick with all the best available charactesr at the time (including albedo who released right afterward so you had to be real lucky or drop a wad of cash to get both) it was still worse than spamming leftclick as diluc

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Why isn't dendro+geo a reaction that roots enemies into the ground. Enemies can attack but movement is prevented for the same duration as freeze, and slows movement for a brief duration afterwards.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Hot take:
Buff Geo and physical at the same time by replacing every instance of the phrase "Geo Damage" with "Physical Damage." It'd suddenly open up all sorts of synergies between characters who don't have them, it'd take away nothing but crystalize, and logically speaking, why would hitting someone with a rock or a club deal elemental damage but a sharp rock and a sharp club deal physical damage?

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Sanctum posted:

Why isn't dendro+geo a reaction that roots enemies into the ground. Enemies can attack but movement is prevented for the same duration as freeze, and slows movement for a brief duration afterwards.

Or that ability that the dendro samachurls have which create spiky vines in front of you.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

My guess is it's more "values freedom" which includes free-spirited people, but also people willing to sacrifice their own freedom for the sake of others. Hence Jean and Xiao who both do what they do so that the people they protect can live freely.

This one I'm much, much more uncertain on. My best guess is "have their own vision for how the world should be, which they're willing to fight the rest of the world for."

That would mesh with the whole 'dream of eternity' god-complex thing the ascension material blurb has going for it, and works for people like Fischl and Kuki and Dori, who are all basically "I wanna live my life this way, gently caress my family/the world" and sort of for Razor with his whole Lupical thing though that's muuuch more of a stretch. I admit though that doesn't really cover Lisa at all so it's probably wrong.

Having something they care about more then themselves works pretty well for Electro, or maybe more that their entire identity is wrapped in something not themselves.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Captain France posted:

Hot take:
Buff Geo and physical at the same time by replacing every instance of the phrase "Geo Damage" with "Physical Damage." It'd suddenly open up all sorts of synergies between characters who don't have them, it'd take away nothing but crystalize, and logically speaking, why would hitting someone with a rock or a club deal elemental damage but a sharp rock and a sharp club deal physical damage?

I mean, if you want to get "logical" shooting someone with water or ice* or wind or vines should do physical damage too. Either way you are being smacked or pierced by a physical object. Only fire and electricity would cause a different kind of damage to the body.

*Yes, frostbite or whatever exists, but all the cryo attacks are just smacking you with an ice cube.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Zenostein posted:

Should just chop a few seconds off the shield cd, give noelle another star and pop her in there. That'll save them from putting in anyone too good. It should've been a polearm, but there's not really a good geo polearm to put in the sadness gacha.

Maybe swap the shield for a throwable geo construct too, and create a custom charge attack, and swap the maid theme for an oni theme... Wait ...

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Nah, I'd rather have a more easily accessible geo with a high shield uptime and healing. Really, her terrible shield uptime is the only thing keeping her from "pretty decent" imo.

It would be kind of cool if she finally got promoted from maid to actual knight though.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I know this kinda goes against the game design, but I do wish there was more for advancing characters, other than artifact RNG.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I know this kinda goes against the game design, but I do wish there was more for advancing characters, other than artifact RNG.

I always felt the Friendship system was way underdeveloped. Like, Lisa's story quest leads you into thinking giving your party members gifts to up their friendship will be a thing... but it's not. You might think you open up dialogue trees with higher friendship... but that's a separate thing for 4*s only in hangouts, and very limited at that.

It just feels very vestigial, like it's "supposed" to be there to match genre conventions and audience expectations, but the devs themselves don't really want to use it.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Captain France posted:

Hot take:

Keep those disgusting white numbers away from my oni boy.

Tree Reformat posted:

I always felt the Friendship system was way underdeveloped. Like, Lisa's story quest leads you into thinking giving your party members gifts to up their friendship will be a thing... but it's not. You might think you open up dialogue trees with higher friendship... but that's a separate thing for 4*s only in hangouts, and very limited at that.

It just feels very vestigial, like it's "supposed" to be there to match genre conventions and audience expectations, but the devs themselves don't really want to use it.

They could do more with it, but unlocking additional profile voicelines and the namecard are both solid enough incentives for me.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

ninjoatse.cx posted:

It's honestly kind of shocking for a mobile game to be out for two years and have literally zero additional character growth or customization mechanisms added whatsoever.

On the one hand, this has made the game quite resistant to power creep-- If anything in many cases there's been power decay.

On the other hand, it's hard to not get the sense that the game might never actually iterate or build on its existing systems and that combat/character development will basically be the same poo poo forever, which is super disappointing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Scoss posted:

On the one hand, this has made the game quite resistant to power creep-- If anything in many cases there's been power decay.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
What mobile game is drastically changing their combat system? Not FGO, Arknights, or any other high money making game off the top of my head

unless you mean the "other" way to change the game which is to introduce 6 or 8 stars like Brave Exvious

Even Honkai has basically been the same combat-engine wise.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

No Wave posted:

I'm talking about 4* units.

Tae posted:

What mobile game is drastically changing their combat system? Not FGO, Arknights, or any other high money making game off the top of my head

unless you mean the "other" way to change the game which is to introduce 6 or 8 stars like Brave Exvious

Even Honkai has basically been the same combat-engine wise.

I'm not expecting anyone to drastically reinvent their core systems. I'm saying it's strange for a mobile game that there has been literally zero iteration or development on the way combat works or how characters can grow.

I don't want a Brave Exvius style hellscape of new stupid uncaps that warp the game irreparably with a treadmill of raw power creep. It sure would be neat if they did anything to maybe add lateral growth or flexibility to existing systems though.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 5, 2022

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Scoss posted:

I'm talking about 4* units.
So a few things being good since launch means there's power "decay"?

The reason I'm objecting to your post is it's just plain wrong. The reason genshin (mostly) hasn't had to design 5*s that are just better versions of existing 5*s is because there IS so much mechanical space and they actually explore it. If Dendro - and the Sumeru region in its entirety - isn't an iteration or a building on of existing systems I don't know what the phrase could even mean.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 5, 2022

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
I'm saying that Genshin's rate of overall power creep is slower than most other games and that many of the relatively early units are still perfectly viable even relative to new ones. Many of the newer 4* units are actually worse than a lot of the launch 4* units. I don't see how this is a contentious observation.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

No Wave posted:

If Dendro - and the Sumeru region in its entirety - isn't an iteration or a building on of existing systems I don't know what the phrase could even mean.

I will walk back slightly and say that the addition of the Dendro element is more in the vein of what I want to see. The Sumeru region itself is just more content, it's not adding any core systems that affect the whole game.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

The game doesn't really have a traditional mobile game player base so they don't really do the obvious things that keep whales engaged. Actually getting this casual player base they have is like the holy grail for a video game developer, so they're not looking to rock the boat at all. Their previous games were played by the typical gacha gamer crowd and they pretty much progress as you would expect.

I do kinda wonder if they intended for it to be this way or once the game became massively successful they just started to dial in on what people like about it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Scoss posted:

I will walk back slightly and say that the addition of the Dendro element is more in the vein of what I want to see. The Sumeru region itself is just more content, it's not adding any core systems that affect the whole game.
What service game has added one third as much as genshin has in a two year timeframe?

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Sure hope this cube event is quick to clear lol

Edit: yeah it is. Funniest run: hyper nahida obliterating hydro cube. They did NOT balance this thing for dendro.

MoonCrab fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 5, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

No Wave posted:

What service game has added one third as much as genshin has in a two year timeframe?

final ffxiv 14 has released an expansion with a full game's worth of content every 2 years since the A Realm Reborn launch in 2013
those cost 40bux each though

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

No Wave posted:

I don't know how I gave you the impression that I think Genshin isn't shipping a lot of content. I'm not talking about content, I'm talking about game systems that layer on top of all of the content. New systems are cool because they can make even old content interesting again.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I mean from a pure money standpoint, the highest money makers *don't* have complicated combat or even endgame. Candy Crush, Fate/Grand Order, etc. don't have or actively discourage endgame content being a thing. It's just trying to steer a game that's primarily about story and exploration into a direction they have no intention of trying to become a combat game.

Like, part of the reason they are making games like Zoneless Zen is because if their fanbase wants combat, they can point to something else in their portfolio.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
ZZZ has 10x more simplified combat than genshin lol, you just mash leftclick until the enemy's QTE bar is full and then you do a QTE on them, there's far less interaction between party members' abilities and stuff

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

No Wave posted:

Arknights dishes out like a Genshin country's worth of content every month or so. Like, it's not "explory, open-world content" but it is more of the content that the game promised in the first place. Honestly I would consider Genshin a pretty slow trickle, although I cut it some slack because clearly there's more work involved in making its kind of 3D stuff. It's the kind of game that rewards quitting and checking back in a year or so to what's new. Because most of the events they add are forgettable content-recyclers that you can skip without FOMO.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 5, 2022

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

Clarste posted:

Arknights dishes out like a Genshin country's worth of content every month or so.

Oh, how interesting! I didn't even know about this game. Maybe I'll check it out, since the next patch looks pretty dry.

Clarste posted:

Like, it's not "explory, open-world content"

Hmm.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, it is not remotely a replacement for Genshin, gameplay-wise or anything. It's a tower defense game with extremely long VN type storytelling.

I just think Genshin gets a weird amount of praise by people who aren't even familiar with its competitors.

Edit: Like, I don't dislike Genshin, but the storytelling is kinda blah, it has very few playable characters and very few of them get much development beyond a quirky gimmick, and there is extremely little to do when they aren't introducing a new country, which happens fairly rarely. I do like the exploration gameplay, and it's overall very aesthetically pleasing, but the whole "this is objectively the greatest gacha game of all time and anyone who says otherwise is lying" thing has come up multiple times in the past dozen pages and it's weird.

Edit2: I should also note that Genshin has extremely low gacha rates and every single new character is what would be considered "limited" in most other games. It makes up for this with a relatively low pity number and guarantees, but basically this just forces every 5* to cost either 80 or 160 pulls. Whereas in a lot of other games you'd get one on average in 50 pulls or so with a small chance of getting extremely unlucky. On average the rates are still worse, although arguably the peace of mind from a guarantee is worth that?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Dec 5, 2022

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Clarste posted:

I just think Genshin gets a weird amount of praise by people who aren't even familiar with its competitors.

It's understandable that it gets that a lot cus it is sort of way more prominent than all its competition, with a budget (including marketing budget) like 100x theirs.
For a long time the status quo in the mobile game ecosystem was "ok make small, cheap games and try to get the maximum revenue-to-dev-cost ratio". Genshin broke that and as a result got way more public visibility among people who otherwise probably would not have played any other gacha games.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, it's sort of understandable, but it also reminds me of all those Western indie devs who've never played a JRPG since Chrono Trigger proclaiming that their game is a breath of fresh air in the stagnant JRPG market (that they know nothing about).

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think this game has terrible story and aesthetics because I don't like anime, but the amount of world that simply exists is incredible and when I was told it's a 2-3 years old game I was blown away because the amount of open world it has is like many, many years of WoW worth of content except it doesn't suck because I can explore and do poo poo and go "can I climb this huge crater" and suddenly I was in Sumeru without even finishing the geo archon quest.

I came to this game with a lot of prejudice and I mean, gently caress, I had more fun climbing the Raiden's house than playing Getting Over It, I had more fun doing the puzzles in [submerged ruin I can't remember the name] than I had in entire puzzle games. And the most impressive part is that at no point did I reach the dreaded gacha wall of difficulty spike that every other game I played had where suddenly the game jumped from very easy to nearly impossible. I was warned the game had a bunch of level gates where I'd be halted in the questline until I got to some adventurer level that required dailies or a lot of grinds but since the exploration was so drat good I never really encountered any of those, I realized that I could play this game just for the fun of logging in and exploring a world so goddamn huge I would likely never complete it faster than they release content and the most liberating part was the realization that, really, I didn't actually need to do dailies or jack poo poo.

If there's any other huge rear end world exploration + puzzle game that releases content frequently and don't put up an invisible wall preventing me from walking to endgame areas just because I want to and the enemies won't insta-kill me because they're 3 levels above and that means death then I'd love to play it, but until then aiming at the clouds and headshotting some tauren lookalikes 400m away in this game is like, pure joy.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Also Touhou Danmaku Kagura had a ridiculous advertising budget where they were renting out entire train station walls and stadiums and whatnot and then the game died because they weren't actually making any money, they were just spending it on advertising. And in interviews afterward they were like "lol at least we were spending our sponsor's money and not ours."

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

Yeah, it is not remotely a replacement for Genshin, gameplay-wise or anything. It's a tower defense game with extremely long VN type storytelling.

Well yeah. I don't play mobile games. The only reason I know anything about Arknights is because some nerd here on SA did an LP of it.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

Clarste posted:

Compared to something like say PSO 2: NGS it's not that weird. Wow, did that game drop off a cliff...

You know what is weird? The amount of people that want to spend money on this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHEE_-87mNE

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Clarste posted:

Arknights dishes out like a Genshin country's worth of content every month or so. Like, it's not "explory, open-world content" but it is more of the content that the game promised in the first place. Honestly I would consider Genshin a pretty slow trickle, although I cut it some slack because clearly there's more work involved in making its kind of 3D stuff. It's the kind of game that rewards quitting and checking back in a year or so to what's new. Because most of the events they add are forgettable content-recyclers that you can skip without FOMO.

I played Arknights for roughly a year, keeping up with new content and completing all events, and I have no idea how you can equate one of their patches to even just Sumeru in 3.0, let alone an entire country's worth of content, such as Inazuma now that it got all of its permanent content added.

I feel like you're massively overstating the amount even bigger Arknights patches put out, and that's including the long VN sections.

As for Genshin events, they're usually split into two categories... the recycled and generic ones, which I'll agree are often forgettable... and "patch flagship" ones, which are fully voiced, with plenty of character development, lore, and more fleshed out gameplay.

Hopefully they make those accessible eventually to new or returning players.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Ruby Prism posted:

I played Arknights for roughly a year, keeping up with new content and completing all events, and I have no idea how you can equate one of their patches to even just Sumeru in 3.0, let alone an entire country's worth of content, such as Inazuma now that it got all of its permanent content added.

Because the clarste method is "God I hope no one actually played what I'm talking about"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ruby Prism posted:

I played Arknights for roughly a year, keeping up with new content and completing all events, and I have no idea how you can equate one of their patches to even just Sumeru in 3.0
sumeru in 3.0 only added 36 rolls to the game. even if you count the limited time events for the entirety of 3.0, its like 46. arknights absolutely adds that many per month. Clarste's post is a little exaggerated maybe but people also vastly overstate how many rolls you can actually get in Genshin.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 5, 2022