Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Txxt
Dec 11, 2004

Hexigrammus posted:

Just catching up with the thread so a bit late, sorry.

We bought a second hand Bosch a few years ago that a blender attachment included. We didn't actually use it until last year when the generic department store blender we've had for many years finally let the magic smoke out. Might not be a fair comparison with something more modern like the newer Ninjas or KitchenAids but the Bosch is much more powerful and blends more effectively, maybe due to the shape? Keep the lid on and add ingredients carefully or you will be painting the ceiling. It's a significant improvement over the old machine.

The Bosch is loud but the noise isn't as high pitched and obnoxious as a lot of kitchen machines. My wife and I can carry on conversations over it without yelling while grinding flour, for example.

Main problem is that we store everything in drawers. I think we're going to need to find a place on the counter for the base. Between the blender, mixer, food processor, and flour grinder we're using it more and more and it's a pain to haul that heavy motor out of a drawer every time we need it.

I appreciate this so much thank you! I really did try to make a case for the Bosch blender attachment vs the Vitamix lineup but Black Friday pretty much destroyed that argument in my head

Amazon was listing the 5200 series for half off so went with that ($500->$250), and no regrets whatsoever.

The Bosch is quite incredible at mixing doughs though on that side of things, I've never made better chocolate chip cookies with the cookie paddles using the manual jog for turning the head.

Cheers!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I was doing some research a while back on a knife sharpening kit for myself, but ultimately decided to just bring my knife to a local shop to maintain my knives. But, I was thinking about getting a kit for a Christmas gift this year, is the Work Sharp still kinda the go-to, for something that is about ~$175?

Edit: For a manual one, not the ones that need a weird belt sander.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

obi_ant posted:

I was doing some research a while back on a knife sharpening kit for myself, but ultimately decided to just bring my knife to a local shop to maintain my knives. But, I was thinking about getting a kit for a Christmas gift this year, is the Work Sharp still kinda the go-to, for something that is about ~$175?

Edit: For a manual one, not the ones that need a weird belt sander.

For my money you're set up well with just the King KW65 and maybe if you want to spend that much get a nice holder for it that goes across your sink. You'll need the two compounds regardless (the KW65 has two) and if you want to really do it completely you'll also want a leather strop + a polishing compound to rub onto it before you finish the edge of your knives on it.

I don't believe any belt sander is used for sharpening knives - they're used quite a lot in the creation of the initial profile but not for sharpening.

e: I live with someone who puts my knives in the dishwasher and will never stop doing this so I just use the Smiths adjustable knife sharpener that was recommended maybe in this thread awhile back. It's a pull-through sharpener and the edge doesn't last as long but it takes less than 30s to do a knife compared to whetsones which probably take 5min per knife.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If my spouse put my knives in the dishwasher I would divorce them immediately after I finished murdering them.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

bird with big dick posted:

If my spouse put my knives in the dishwasher I would divorce them immediately after I finished murdering them.
Take a chill pill bro

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you are going to get your knives good and sharp the whole dishwasher thing is a safety issue, aside from any damage to the knife. It's a huge red flag and you need to get out NOW.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Fr tho if you do get a nice stone and polish off your edge often, you'll be amazed how long you can last. Always a risk of blowing a huge chip or something, but you can always use automotive Sandpaper if you have to reprofile.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Vegetable posted:

Take a chill pill bro

No.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I'm a huge fan of the spyderco sharpener myself. Really easy to use and the design means you get the angle right without any work.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Hey all, I got a cheap carbon steel wok for less than €20. I tried to use the hot water + scrubbing method to get the laquer coating off, but it didn't work and I had to burn it off on the electric hob. My house smells like smoke and I feel like I gave myself lung cancer, but I hammered the wok back into shape so it doesn't spin. Below is a picture of it after seasoning. Is good to go like that despite the coating I couldn't burn off near the handle?

P.S. How do I get rid of the white stains on the hob easily?

E; Got the rest burnt off, apparently it should look blue silver after washing. Will try out more scrubbing.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 6, 2022

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I want to get my wife a molcajete for Christmas. I live in a major American city with plenty of Mexican and Latino grocery stores, am I likely to find one at one of those spots? Alternatively, I’d be happy to order one if anyone has recommendations around $50.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
they had them at the nearby pan-Latin grocery store in my small city.

also 30 different kinds of fresh sausage. and stock pots as large as my oven. I think often of both.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

I’m getting vaguely close to doing a full kitchen renovation and while I have a pretty good idea what fridge I want, I’m way less sure about the range. My price range is variable - I’m considering professional class ones, but I probably wouldn’t bother spending an extra 5k for 10% more quality (for example). Looking for some suggestions or companies to keep an eye on (I’m maybe a year out) from the goonmind.

Wants are:
-ideally 30”/36”, I don’t think my kitchen can support larger without sacrificing either the eating area or prep space by the oven
-gas or dual, I’m not against induction cooktops but I’m not sure I want to go to induction only yet
-one or ideally two high BTU burners, I do some amount of wok cooking and while I realize I won’t have a jet engine, the closer I can get the better right?
-long grill pan burner would be cool, I live in an apartment so outdoor grilling will basically never happen at my place. If I can sorta fake it with a grill pan that would be nice.
-consistent oven with a good broiler, I’ve been using my oven less as of late for various reasons but a lovely oven would suck even if it meant an amazing cooktop

I’ve only really just started looking myself and don’t have many opinions yet. One story: my parents had a Dynasty range that was quite good aside from issues with the starters, but it became impossible to find parts for it and they recently got a Thor. They are not very happy with it; it did not come with a plug that allows it to be flush to the wall and doing so caused the ovens to be unusable soon after they got it, leading to a roughly four month fight with the company to get it fixed.

Thanks!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just don’t get a Samsung fridge

They require repair techs to buy their schematics and get certification, which makes it hard to find a repair tech and drives up the price on the ones who will

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Nah I’m most likely going full bougie and getting a subzero for the fridge, unless they continue axing their side by side models and I decide I hate French doors/bottom freezer too much to bother.

Family has a lot of experience with them and they’ve been very solid so i am relatively down with the silly price tag.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I just picked up a GE duel fuel (P2S930YPFS) a few months ago and I’m completely in love with it. It’s got over 60k BTUs at the burners, center griddle/grill with elongated burner, European convection, tons of extra cook modes like proofing and probe temp cooking, phone connectivity for timer alerts and remote preheat. I’d change nothing about it but it puts out a LOT of heat so you really are going to need a kick rear end externally vented hood for anything with high power burners.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Steve Yun posted:

I forgot that Breville bought Joule/ChefSteps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1tAqtJ-Hc

Has an "autopilot" mode where it adjusts temperature depending on your food and even changes temp for different stages of cooking

Smartphone control

$550!

Mom added an air fryer oven to her xmas list, is there one anyone would recommend over this one? The amount of actual air frying that will be done once the New Toy Feel wears off is, heh, up in the air :smug: so the majority of its function will probably still be standard toasting/oven'ing, and I'd like to still be able to fit a 14x9 pan in there.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Ayndin posted:

Nah I’m most likely going full bougie and getting a subzero for the fridge, unless they continue axing their side by side models and I decide I hate French doors/bottom freezer too much to bother.

Family has a lot of experience with them and they’ve been very solid so i am relatively down with the silly price tag.

Subzero does a bunch of rebates/deals if you buy a fridge and a range and the fridge is the expensive part. Pick out a Wolf range, even if it’s only 10% better it’ll hold its value if you sell the house and you might as well enjoy it.

We put in a 48” Wolf range and love it.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Mom added an air fryer oven to her xmas list, is there one anyone would recommend over this one? The amount of actual air frying that will be done once the New Toy Feel wears off is, heh, up in the air :smug: so the majority of its function will probably still be standard toasting/oven'ing, and I'd like to still be able to fit a 14x9 pan in there.

Whichever Breville smart oven w/air fry is big enough. The air fry works very well, but may require more time than the dedicated cylindrical air fryers. There are deals to be had on eBay and various refurbished items.

Be aware that the air fry model emits a wine. It could be annoying. Since it’s for a parent, probably doesn’t matter. I would normally mind but my overhead light buzzes anyways.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We’re sick of our gas stove (Thermador, came with the house), most specifically the terrible oven but we’d rather move away from gas generally for environmental and air quality reasons.

What’s the best 36” induction stove, assuming I’m not especially price sensitive?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My parents recently replaced their gas stove with a Fisher and Paykel induction. Assuming you don't mind the downsides of induction, it seems like a pretty good choice

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

We’re sick of our gas stove (Thermador, came with the house), most specifically the terrible oven but we’d rather move away from gas generally for environmental and air quality reasons.

What’s the best 36” induction stove, assuming I’m not especially price sensitive?

I like the cafe double oven I got. The induction top works great and the smaller of the two oven compartments is great when you need to bake/roast something but don't want to dump as much waste heat into your kitchen.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thanks, will look into those!

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I have a cafe double oven and I hate it. It’s easy to burn yourself getting things out of the top oven and crouching to deal with a full size turkey in the bottom oven is ridiculous. Hate it.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

We have a (half-working) Anova steam oven, so I don’t know that we need a double, but I’m open to it. It occurs to me that I’ve only used double ovens that were roughly waist height, so I hadn’t thought about the practical geometry of them very much. Hmm, hmm.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I hadn’t thought of that either and I’d been thinking about getting a double when my current one died… hmm

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How do people feel about the Anova Precision Oven? I feel like I saw some chatter about it for a bit, but then it fell off. If you're looking for a toaster oven, but would likely use the extra functionality, is it worth it? Is it only worth it if you bake?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

How do people feel about the Anova Precision Oven? I feel like I saw some chatter about it for a bit, but then it fell off. If you're looking for a toaster oven, but would likely use the extra functionality, is it worth it? Is it only worth it if you bake?

I’ve got one. The sous vide mode works as advertised, and the steam functionality works great for baking, and also well for keeping toast from drying out too much in the desert I live in. It’s loving huge and takes up a shitton of counter space, and I had the cracking tank problem and had to get a replacement which took months. So like, it works well, I do like having the steam functionality - it’s good for just kind of making most cooking a little bit better with like 30% steam, but if you’re mostly looking for a toaster oven I’d advise looking at one like, a quarter of the size and price.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Our current method of toasting something is using the broiler in our big oven. Take out a tray, aluminum foil it, etc., so anything is an improvement there. It would be nice to not have to use our full oven as often in general. And we have room for it, just not it and a toaster oven. Our oven is convection, but our air fryer is the instant pot air fryer lid, which sucks. The IP is also our sous vide, which it handles fine.

On the cost, I can justify it because we have some spending money, but we also dine out like 2 or 3 times a month. We can't order delivery. So we cook a lot and save some money on that front, so even something as silly as a $600 fancy oven is justifiable.

Really just trying to hear if they're any good and what folks use them for. The ATK review of it in their smart oven reviews really trashed it, but checking online on other places maybe their review was flawed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjvzB0OZsc

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Dec 28, 2022

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Our current method of toasting something is using the broiler in our big oven. Take out a tray, aluminum foil it, etc., so anything is an improvement there. It would be nice to not have to use our full oven as often in general. And we have room for it, just not it and a toaster oven. Our oven is convection, but our air fryer is the instant pot air fryer lid, which sucks. The IP is also our sous vide, which it handles fine.

On the cost, I can justify it because we have some spending money, but we also dine out like 2 or 3 times a month. We can't order delivery. So we cook a lot and save some money on that front, so even something as silly as a $600 fancy oven is justifiable.

Really just trying to hear if they're any good and what folks use them for. The ATK review of it in their smart oven reviews really trashed it, but checking online on other places maybe their review was flawed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjvzB0OZsc

"a gallon or more of distilled water?"

Yikes, that would be an absolute deal-breaker for me.

Distilled water has been short the entire year in the US. Not all at once, but regionally across the country. It seemed like producers couldn't keep up with demand. Which meant that if you needed it, for say, keeping the batteries in the fleet of forklifts topped off at work, and your neck of the woods was in a dry spell, you were scouring the three neighboring counties until you found a few gallons in the bottom shelf of a slow liquor store in the middle of nowhere, or making your own with an old-timey pressure cooker and a hose. Ask me how I know.

edit: I don't even like the June oven. It sounds too good, like the company is screaming for an acquisition, and just as well might be snapped up by Amazon tomorrow, if they haven't already, and then things are downhill from there, most likely resulting in a smart oven that I can't even use as a normal, non-connected, dumb oven.

edit edit: okay, so they got acquired by Weber last year. So maybe there's some hope.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Dec 28, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It holds a gallon of it. Supposedly, it can do 100% humidity cooks for about 24 hours on that tank. From what I've seen, most people seem to say it lasts them a month or two.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

ATK also trashed the Creami in their year-end gadget round-up. I can't take them seriously after that.

They said it turned out soupy, which means they either didn't even try to follow directions or they intentionally sand bagged it because they wanted to pimp their favorite Cuisinart again or have a vendetta against Ninja. Either way, they got it really wrong so it's possibly the same thing with the Anova Precision oven.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I’ve never seen soupy with the Creami. More often than not I have to spin things twice, but I’m also using my own recipes which could impact that. But soupy? Hell no.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It kinda sounds like you should just get one of the fancy Breville toasters.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I’ve never seen soupy with the Creami. More often than not I have to spin things twice, but I’m also using my own recipes which could impact that. But soupy? Hell no.

yeah that's literally the opposite of the problem it normally has lol

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It holds a gallon of it. Supposedly, it can do 100% humidity cooks for about 24 hours on that tank. From what I've seen, most people seem to say it lasts them a month or two.

Yeah it's really not a big deal. I doubt I go through more than 4 gallons a year.

That said, I just sent mine in for repair and it seems like they just ship you a new one. They even tell you to keep your accessories as spares.

The silicone seal on the door started leaking and I thought maybe I hadn't been keeping it clean and crud getting in there was causing it not to seal tightly and maybe that was true to some extent but as I cleaned it I realized that it was just severely deteriorated and the rubber was getting crumbly and even had holes in it in spots. Not really sure why, maybe I do need to clean it more often. Steam got in between the glass panes and was also getting into the handle and causing the controls to freak out.

I love the oven, hopefully I just got a bad seal or something.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry to hear it's been a pain, but at least they are shipping you a new one I guess.

Ordered one a day or two ago. I'm excited!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
gently caress Jenn-air and by extension kitchen-aid. I’ll not be buying any of their appliances again.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

bird with big dick posted:

That said, I just sent mine in for repair and it seems like they just ship you a new one. They even tell you to keep your accessories as spares.

Speaking of repairs/service, How is your anova chamber vac holding up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

No problems so far. I'm maybe a moderate level user, definitely don't consider myself a heavy user but it gets a fair bit of use every week and then every month or so it'll get a big workout when there's a big sale on something and I spend an hour vacuum sealing stuff for the freezer.

I was planning on continuing to use my regular (Foodsaver) sealer for most freezer duties but the sealer seems to have crapped the bed, nearly everything I've sealed recently has lost seal in the freezer rapidly. Still wish it worked even if it was just for the occasional tomahawk steak or stuff that is very dry.