Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Seams posted:

I’ve said this before but Twitter should just be a chronological feed of the people you follow + their retweets. Bing bong no algorithm, no shadowbans easy peasy so simple

it used to be exactly like this, same with every social media site but they have all become unusable garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

They should have showed Hunter's dick on Twitter without censorship. It should be shown on CNN. It should be on the jumbotron at sporting events.

Genuinely hurting Biden by not showing how big of a hog his son has. Implies Biden may be packing too.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Cached Money posted:

it used to be exactly like this, same with every social media site but they have all become unusable garbage

I'm seeing fb posts on my feed that are six days old lol, it's worthless

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

If you switch from top tweets to latest it just puts them out in chronological order. I never bothered with the other setting.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1599139993980915712?s=46&t=pcfT6L-wonPXwlvpBlVKbg

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

More :clap: women :clap: grifters :clap:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That second picture almost made me have a stroke

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Do they talk about Kanye in the latest episode, or was that recorded earlier?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

busalover posted:

Do they talk about Kanye in the latest episode, or was that recorded earlier?

It's mentioned very briefly.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/ShariaUncle/status/1599514504768864257

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Cached Money posted:

When you’re following hundreds or even thousands of accounts like many twitter power users do, the chronological feed becomes unusable. Some accounts post way more than others and in spammy bursts so you’re highly likely to miss something you may have wanted to see. Your friends who use the chronological TL are also highly likely to miss one of your fire tweets. There needs to be some way to cut through the crap and spam and retweets and show what’s actually relevant. Hence the algorithmic timeline. From a business perspective this is also good because if you have an effective algorithm then people will spend more time in the app, and see more ads. (That’s why it’s shown by default.) The problem is it’s not magic and you’ll never be able to ensure everyone sees every tweet that they or the tweeter wanted them to see every single time. So then you have people still complaining and asking why they don’t get engagement from their friends on their fire tweets.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Just limit the number of people you can follow to 100.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

at the beginning of all this someone suggested to monetize following people with a small kickback going to the follow-ee and that would be a fun model to see the ramifications of

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

Juul-Whip posted:

When you’re following hundreds or even thousands of accounts like many twitter power users do, the chronological feed becomes unusable. Some accounts post way more than others and in spammy bursts so you’re highly likely to miss something you may have wanted to see. Your friends who use the chronological TL are also highly likely to miss one of your fire tweets. There needs to be some way to cut through the crap and spam and retweets and show what’s actually relevant. Hence the algorithmic timeline. From a business perspective this is also good because if you have an effective algorithm then people will spend more time in the app, and see more ads. (That’s why it’s shown by default.) The problem is it’s not magic and you’ll never be able to ensure everyone sees every tweet that they or the tweeter wanted them to see every single time. So then you have people still complaining and asking why they don’t get engagement from their friends on their fire tweets.

every social media site should cap out at dunbar's number

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Ponzia can scheme too!!

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

Was it ever established what Felix's "the truth about Syria" running joke was? I always thought it was just a stand-in for "a take so bad it would get them all cancelled".

selec
Sep 6, 2003

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Was it ever established what Felix's "the truth about Syria" running joke was? I always thought it was just a stand-in for "a take so bad it would get them all cancelled".

I’m going to tell the truth about your home address and work schedule if goons can’t learn to leave a joke to rest in piece!

GoodluckJonathan
Oct 31, 2003

A little joke necromancy never hurt anyone.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

GoodluckJonathan posted:

Wasn't it just something along the lines of "Assad beat ISIS"?

I mean, that is actually the truth about Syria but I think it's what Felix was talking about too

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Gripweed posted:

Wasn't it just something along the lines of "Assad beat ISIS"?

I mean, that is actually the truth about Syria but I think it's what Felix was talking about too

Yeah it was pretty impressive when Assad liberated Raqqa and Mosul.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://twitter.com/AmbJohnBolton/status/1599879103393341440

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Props to that anchor for not laughing in his face

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Juul-Whip posted:

id much rather potentially miss a funny tweet than have the algorithmic timeline point me to the same tweetdeck poo poo several times a day

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Juul-Whip posted:

Utilize Private Twitter Lists.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
If you are following thousands of twitter accounts you have a problem.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Juul-Whip posted:

When you’re following hundreds or even thousands of accounts like many twitter power users do, the chronological feed becomes unusable. Some accounts post way more than others and in spammy bursts so you’re highly likely to miss something you may have wanted to see. Your friends who use the chronological TL are also highly likely to miss one of your fire tweets. There needs to be some way to cut through the crap and spam and retweets and show what’s actually relevant. Hence the algorithmic timeline.
This is ludicrous. There's no usability argument for the algorithmic timeline because it's unusable by design. Three-quarters of your timeline is stuff from people you don't follow.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Twitter Power User

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Please god deliver us a Trump/Bolton debate

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

In other news: Trump to regain popularity by humiliating rare piece of poo poo worst than him, live on stage.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

https://stablediffusionweb.com/#demo

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 7, 2022

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
https://twitter.com/anildash/status/1600216170472214528?s=20&t=y_pfDYptWSg4goEPeXtM3A

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
https://mobile.twitter.com/ByYourLogic/status/1600320431013376000

Looks like Matt’s drinking the Dark Web Gay Potion.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Such a shame, he just got married too...

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
GOD DAMNIT

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
it's ok, he can still make it work.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Better luck next time Felix

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Pictured: Matt Christman drinks the gay potion

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

I mean, an AI as dumb as the average person is still pretty impressive/terrifying.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
The chapo thesis that the sci fi future involves making slaves dress up as robots is coming to pass. I mean, the current state of website content was already a pile of low quality writing across a huge number of topics, from video game guides, recipes, gardening, fitness, all written up by poorly paid writers pumping out wordcount. And all that has been mined and absorbed into these machine learning algorithms, which just remix and regurgitate algorithmically generated nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
amazon has had a service called mechanical turk for 15 years at this point