Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Turin Turambar posted:

Interesting.

Can people on Steam and on Gamepass not play together then, if they are at different versions?

There's no crossplay in this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

wedgie deliverer posted:

im starting to understand the pubbie fatigue in this game. It's not just that pubbies aren't great at the game (myself included) but that attempts to coordinate and talk and play better are often met with silence or outright hostility.

I mostly play with friends but I have played a few games on the third difficult with randos, and I was surprised at how no one communicates at all. People seemed to stick together and generally know what they were doing but no one said anything the entire time and I said "GG" at the end with no response. I don't mind that much though. One of my least favorite parts of playing with randos is occasionally getting matched with a vocal rear end in a top hat, so I prefer silence to that. On level three missions people being silent doesn't seem to negatively impact the game much either.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been more surprised with how many pubbie runs go very smoothly. Like sure sometimes you get a poo poo group but more often than not I get a group who may not say a word the whole time but knows how to ping and sticks with the team and we make it out alive. Maybe I'll get a gg at the end but honestly the pubs have not been terrible in my experience. Maybe it's playing at 3+ difficulty where the pubs start to become more competent?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I mostly play with friends but I have played a few games on the third difficult with randos, and I was surprised at how no one communicates at all. People seemed to stick together and generally know what they were doing but no one said anything the entire time and I said "GG" at the end with no response. I don't mind that much though. One of my least favorite parts of playing with randos is occasionally getting matched with a vocal rear end in a top hat, so I prefer silence to that. On level three missions people being silent doesn't seem to negatively impact the game much either.

IMO there is more communication in DRG pub games ("do the machine event?" or '"are you ready" when finishing the primary objective, etc), which is ironic as DRG is more forgiving than Darktide.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Are there any droppable cosmetics or is it all in the shop?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I haven't heard a single voice since this game launched. I rarely do on european servers tbh

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Randarkman posted:

My Agitator Zealot seems mostly consistent in her character in the dialogue I've heard, super self-righteous, talking aobut the highborn having a divine right to rule and arguing that abhumans can't have souls though through the grace of the Imperium they might be granted citizenship and generally toeing that line, but also with a general trend of not really having a deeper understanding of the dogma she's spouting, which again is in line with lore, "blessed is the mind too small for doubt" and all that.
Hah that's interesting, my Zealot Judge has pretty much the opposite opinion on all of these - she calls highborns scum that take and don't give and has a bunch of lines about how the Empire can't function without its workers. :ussr:

Now I'm wondering if all Judges are like that or if it's based on the background you chose, since I picked Seditionist. Kinda satisfied with my pick regardless.

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I've had randos pop on voice chat to check "we doin' Grims?" or offer a tip about a hard to find spot if our group seems to have missed it.

But yeah it's a pretty quiet game and I'm okay with that. We don't need to chat; we just need to kill heretics.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
i'm a big fan of just pinging stuff and not needing to talk 90% of the time with randos. thank you apex legends for making that so mainstream.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You know, if the Imperium dominates the galaxy so much (as per the introduction to the game), how come there is so much war

Makes you think

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

My heresy runs are quiet. Most people seem to Get the Basics at this point. Mistakes will still be made but it's only one out of every several runs where I see someone that needs to practice a little more in Malice. Really, a pug just needs to stay close to the team and stay alive and they are being helpful enough for 95% of a map. Last night we played with a vet who could not stop charging ahead and dropping in a hail of gunfire because we were finishing up the prior room. Literally would get rezzed after we cleared around them and beeline into the next room without support so they could get dropped again. We lost that run because even though we did not get baited into bad engagements with them, losing their damage and toughness regen ground us down.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Zzulu posted:

Are there any droppable cosmetics or is it all in the shop?

Just the ones from doing challenges

wereboat
Jun 23, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

You know, if the Imperium dominates the galaxy so much (as per the introduction to the game), how come there is so much war

Makes you think

Sounds like heresy to me

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Pierson posted:

This is my plan exactly. My Vet is 29 and after I get him a nice-looking set I'll probably do Zealot to see the cool stuff with that and then call it good and come back in 6-12 months when I dunno they introduce the real story they got Dan Abnett for.

My head canon is that Abnett was chosen for a real specific reason (and is also the reason that we don’t know who the inquisitor really is right now).

Calling it, Ravenor is the inquisitor. I know, it’s implied that it’s Ordo Hereticus but I don’t care, give me floaty robo psyker plz

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

tehinternet posted:

Calling it, Ravenor is the inquisitor. I know, it’s implied that it’s Ordo Hereticus but I don’t care, give me floaty robo psyker plz

It's more than implied. Characters mention that you're part of the Ordo Hereticus in the banter.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Cease to Hope posted:

It's more than implied. Characters mention that you're part of the Ordo Hereticus in the banter.

sisters of battle dlc confirmed

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Dan abnett wrote all the orc voices in Shadow of War. In an interview he complained of taking ontoo much resulting in him walking about his house arguing with himself in cockney. He could be here for dialogue, not overall plot.

Senethro fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 5, 2022

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
4 ogryns on a team is just silly. It's so easy

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
I tried the ogryn shield a bit last night and honestly really enjoyed it. Being able to just walk forward into sniper / gunner fire that would instantly down you otherwise is pretty good, lets your team just shoot em up without much risk to the team

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

here's a quick thing that i don't think anyone's ever mentioned: they really need to match the throwing arc of heavy objects to the trajectory prediction line while charging up a throw, it drives me nuts that it doesn't go where the line says it will

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Gamepass had an update for darktide this morning, and its downloading 35 GB. mmmk

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

terrorist ambulance posted:

I tried the ogryn shield a bit last night and honestly really enjoyed it. Being able to just walk forward into sniper / gunner fire that would instantly down you otherwise is pretty good, lets your team just shoot em up without much risk to the team

I think the people talking poo poo on the shield don't fully understand how to use it or played with an Ogryn who didn't fully understand how to use it. There are definitely Ogryn players who turtle up with it and generally just get in the way but you can use it to be more aggressive and help advance into enemy fire safely which on the harder difficulties is tough to do without taking damage. The huge wide heavy attacks are also great at schmearing bleed all over everything when you're running a bleed build since it can swat tons of enemies at a time with it. I do get the idea that an Ogryn equipped with a butcher's knife can move quicker and generally take out threats faster which means taking less damage but there are so many situations where you can turn a corner and be met with a firing squad of machinegunners and the shield helps so much in those situations.

Cowcaster posted:

here's a quick thing that i don't think anyone's ever mentioned: they really need to match the throwing arc of heavy objects to the trajectory prediction line while charging up a throw, it drives me nuts that it doesn't go where the line says it will

Yeah this is annoying. The hipfire crosshairs from the Thumper also feels very inaccurate.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I just hate that there seems to be 1 coherent build on every class (if you're lucky) and the Ogryn one pretty much requires the shield. I don't hate it, I just don't want to use it because I find it clunky.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Gamepass had an update for darktide this morning, and its downloading 35 GB. mmmk

https://forums.fatsharkgames.com/t/ms-store-gamepass-hotfix-1-0-12/65931

[edit: if I had a version of the game that still had the toughness bug, I would be so mad. That poo poo was fixed ages ago already on the Steam version.]
[edit2: oh, apparently this patch introduces the toughness bug for Microsoft Store, lol]

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
is the bolter a good choice for the veteran? I got one and I tried it out in the practice area. The damage is really great, but I feel like the relatively small amount of ammo will be a problem for the vet, since I spend a lot of time shooting normally.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

I just hate that there seems to be 1 coherent build on every class (if you're lucky) and the Ogryn one pretty much requires the shield. I don't hate it, I just don't want to use it because I find it clunky.

it really is not the only ogryn build. if you leave the shield at home you're the most mobile class in the game, can handle a poxwalker horde by yourself on 5, and can still do an excellent job of taking point or shutting down a pack of riflemen long enough for them to be killed.

i'm not making GBS threads on the shield (although i think the bleed build is seriously overrated) but it's not the only option to play ogryn well.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Jamwad Hilder posted:

is the bolter a good choice for the veteran? I got one and I tried it out in the practice area. The damage is really great, but I feel like the relatively small amount of ammo will be a problem for the vet, since I spend a lot of time shooting normally.

It makes you a great Ogryn killer, but not as good a counter-sniper

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cease to Hope posted:

it really is not the only ogryn build. if you leave the shield at home you're the most mobile class in the game, can handle a poxwalker horde by yourself on 5, and can still do an excellent job of taking point or shutting down a pack of riflemen long enough for them to be killed.

i'm not making GBS threads on the shield (although i think the bleed build is seriously overrated) but it's not the only option to play ogryn well.

I play Ogryn and Zealot, so I get that there are weapons besides the shield that are viable. I'm pretty sure that I was one of the people early on saying that I didn't like how slow the shield made my Ogryn play.

So let me ask you. What build are you using when not using a shield and how well does it synergize with the weapon/feats?

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

explosivo posted:

I think the people talking poo poo on the shield don't fully understand how to use it or played with an Ogryn who didn't fully understand how to use it. There are definitely Ogryn players who turtle up with it and generally just get in the way but you can use it to be more aggressive and help advance into enemy fire safely which on the harder difficulties is tough to do without taking damage. The huge wide heavy attacks are also great at schmearing bleed all over everything when you're running a bleed build since it can swat tons of enemies at a time with it. I do get the idea that an Ogryn equipped with a butcher's knife can move quicker and generally take out threats faster which means taking less damage but there are so many situations where you can turn a corner and be met with a firing squad of machinegunners and the shield helps so much in those situations.

Yeah this is annoying. The hipfire crosshairs from the Thumper also feels very inaccurate.

Yeah, I think this is it. I only used the special to plant the shield once or twice, but being able to stagger and kill huge crowds, and walk up to gunners and just club them to death without any risk to you, is pretty good on heresy. Particularly even just having an "oh poo poo" button of being able to shield up when you get caught out of cover

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

I'd hope we get something resembling an actual plot with the new maps. Was a bit jarring to realize the Level 1 > 30 progression was just showing up at someone's desk for 15 seconds of "you need to work harder to impress me" or "there's a traitor among us (and you will have absolutely nothing to do with resolving this)"

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

just watched a zealot on heresy solo a plague ogryn after we three got downed by a nasty hoard at the same time

stabbed the gently caress out of that thing with a bleed dagger

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yuuuup. The bleed/crit/toughness build with the bleed dagger or shred axe is loving strong.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Jamwad Hilder posted:

A bolter is great if you can use a power sword on anybody who isn't a ranged threat. A plasma gun is even better at dealing with ranged threats plus anybody standing in between you and them but requires better timing to use effectively. For the veteran, I think a lot comes down to personal preference. I have the most fun just using a semi auto lasgun to snipe or a good braced autogun for all around running and gunning, and high level lasguns and autoguns absolutely own. It's a game, you should have fun. If the tiny mags and long reload/cocking takes the fun out of using a bolter, go with something else, don't feel obligated to just stat max.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Dandywalken posted:

It makes you a great Ogryn killer, but not as good a counter-sniper

I'd mostly agree with this. It's great for taking out Crushers and Bulwarks, its about the only way if you find yourself alone to take out a Bulwark without taking some significant damage. I think its actually fine for taking out snipers, the sites suck but its accurate enough and it only takes one shot. The bigger problem with it in my mind is the recoil and lovely sight combine to make rapid follow-up shots difficult which can make it harder to take out large numbers of distant shooters or elites which take multiple shots, without wasting ammo.

Once you have a power sword you really don't need to be using your gun for everything, and I'm not just talking about hordes, I don't find I have huge issues with bolter ammo unless I've been using it to burn down monstrosities or ogryn at full auto.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Really down to your goals/play style. Its good to have one weapon be the trash clearer and the other for taking down heavies. If you roll with bolter you'll generally only pull out up for specials/bosses otherwise you'll be dry on ammo constantly.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There is an update on gamepass version. I guess it will get up to date with the Steam version with this.

Estel
May 4, 2010

explosivo posted:

I like the shield but the problem with the shiel is not the Ogryn, usually is bad teammates that instead of using you as a mobile cover and advancing with you most of the time decide to sit back and shoot at the enemies. If you have competent teammates you can steamroll everything but that is exactly the problem, if you have that kind of teammates you probably don't need the shield and everything would go faster using any other weapon.

Shield is the safe option when playing with pubs.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

attn Zealot nerds, I just found out that after you charge all of your shots are armor penetrating

so you can charge, then while the screen effect is on, magdump into the nearest armored fatty

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Shoutout to the dreg who did nothing but shout “FLIES” over and over at the top of his lungs as he chased us to the extract after the coolant rods, dude’s a trooper.

Bussamove fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Hearing a zealot shout "SKULLS FOR THE GOLDEN THRONE" made me do a double take