Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

VelociBacon posted:

If you already have a supra (faster) and a miata (better handling) I can't say I understand why you'd want a boxter but yeah.

Because you're absolutely wrong about a miata handling better. It's not even close. The engine isn't even in the right place for it to handle better.

The only real issues with these are the IMS shaft. The rest of the issues are that it's formerly a much more expensive car that you are accustomed to dealing with and the parts prices show. It's going to require more tools/space/a lift to do some major work that would be possible without in a front engine car.

Porsche has has consistently been in the JD Power, etc ratings as one of the more reliable brands/most reliable models. They are simply built well with quality parts moreso than most other manufacturers can or choose to do. They have their own stupidity from time to time (like the IMS thing which isn't a thing at all if you drive the car like it's a sports car) but there is a huge enthusiast community and therefore a lot of DIY support if that's your kind of thing.

E: They are also premium products and feel as such. There is almost no comparison on interiors and the look ad feel of the things you directly interact with, even in the early 2000s when the porsche interiors were at their cheapest. The fit and finish just isn't reasonably comparable with regular production japanese or whoever else's cars but you probably already know that just by sitting in one providing it's a well sorted example.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Dec 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
Just thought you guys would like a quick followup on my door ajar sensor issue on the 07 Camry. I used Gorilla duct tape and just taped the poo poo out of it to hold it down. That spring really didn't want to cooperate but it's held for several days so far, so thanks again.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Why is finding OEM parts such a pain in the rear end?

Trying to get the p/ns for the brakes and rotors for my Grand Cherokee. Great, there's a mopar parts website. Put the VIN in, and it can't find it. Okay.. select '2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude' and pick 'front brakes.' There are 7 different options, all with different prices, each with a description that solely reads, "Rotor. Front."

Just tell me what shipped with my car. gently caress.

Edit: I called the parts department at the dealership. Probably should have started there.

Also everything was $400 more expensive on Mopar's parts website versus ordering through a 3rd party reseller.

Strife fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 2, 2022

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've been spoiled as gently caress for a long time because the PDF edition of the factory parts catalogs for all years of XJ and MJ jeeps got leaked decades ago and I've been able to simply look it up myself using the same documents as the dealer parts counter.

Unfortunately this does not extend to models that new, nor my FSJs.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

erosion posted:

Just thought you guys would like a quick followup on my door ajar sensor issue on the 07 Camry. I used Gorilla duct tape and just taped the poo poo out of it to hold it down. That spring really didn't want to cooperate but it's held for several days so far, so thanks again.

Why not drop the $20 on a new switch instead of leaving a mess of adhesive to deal with when it finally breaks completely? It's not meant to be depressed to the point that the "spring didn't want to cooperate". It's 1 screw and 1 wire.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all
Does anyone remember 6 or 7 years ago where someone tracked down a no-start condition to a driver's side mirror, either the mirror defroster or the power mirror motor? I swear it was on some flavor of mid-late aughts GM where they routed the power to some critical function through there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

STR posted:

Why not drop the $20 on a new switch instead of leaving a mess of adhesive to deal with when it finally breaks completely? It's not meant to be depressed to the point that the "spring didn't want to cooperate". It's 1 screw and 1 wire.

This, and that duct tape will not last long at all.

spookykid posted:

Does anyone remember 6 or 7 years ago where someone tracked down a no-start condition to a driver's side mirror, either the mirror defroster or the power mirror motor? I swear it was on some flavor of mid-late aughts GM where they routed the power to some critical function through there.

I'm 99% sure it was a Mopar.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

STR posted:

IOwnCalculus posted:

This, and that duct tape will not last long at all.

Neither will the car, it's beat to poo poo.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

spookykid posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3812091

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Inner Light posted:

I dunno about your car but check Pro Clip USA. They are the thread consensus for best mounts in the business, but you'll pay for them. I am a cheap bastard so I use an unstable vent clip.

Here you go: https://www.proclipusa.com/collections/dashboard-mounts-mazda-cx-3-2021

e: To be clear I do this because my car is old and has no CarPlay for Waze. If I needed to buy another vehicle I think CarPlay would be a hard requirement and I'd never use a mount again.

Long overdue update but thanks for this suggestion. Been using it for a while and it rocks. Or rather, it doesn't rock because other styles of mounts or cheaper ones tend to shake and rattle.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If the tape comes loose, add some gel superglue to the button when you tape it back in place

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

It's just as good as I remembered, thank you.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Whole thread is a quality click

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I should probably post the coda:

Intrepid ran great for the next three years. I sold it to a friend of mine for $3000 in 2018; she put another 45,000 miles on it - almost to 200K. It died on the way to New Hampshire in 2020 when it finally succumbed the way all 2.7s do: blown head gasket, water/oil mix, fried rotating assemblies etc.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Oh jeez I had a hand-me-down Intrepid back then. I put like $2000 into repairing the AC for the summer and then the whole engine block cracked in half a week later, or whatever the gently caress it is they do to self-destruct. I don't think I've ever owned a car with more sunk cost than that.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

PainterofCrap posted:

I should probably post the coda:

Intrepid ran great for the next three years. I sold it to a friend of mine for $3000 in 2018; she put another 45,000 miles on it - almost to 200K. It died on the way to New Hampshire in 2020 when it finally succumbed the way all 2.7s do: blown head gasket, water/oil mix, fried rotating assemblies etc.

Shame. If it would have made it to 2021 she could have sold it for like 10 grand.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Does anyone know if they ever made right hand drive Honda Odysseys for the US market, maybe for mail carriers or something? I saw one today and I’m having trouble thinking someone would go through the trouble of importing a RHD Honda minivan from outside the US.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

skipdogg posted:

Does anyone know if they ever made right hand drive Honda Odysseys for the US market, maybe for mail carriers or something? I saw one today and I’m having trouble thinking someone would go through the trouble of importing a RHD Honda minivan from outside the US.

You'd think so, wouldn't you?

https://www.jdmcarandmotorcycle.com/details/used-1997-honda-odyssey/84765460

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
2002 Honda Civic, battery light was coming on below 1.5k RPM, and battery slowly died while driving. Put a new battery in and the light continues to stay on when the RPM's are low. That pretty much screams worn out alternator, right?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Unless you have major belt slipping (which would make noise and probably smell), I'd say so.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I've never personally experienced it before, but has anyone else ever run across just a bad tank of gas? My wife's parents were driving their Acura SUV across country, not long after stopping for fuel, the car started missing and the check engine light came on. They powered on with it doing that the whole way home, they fueled up again half an hour from home, and the next morning there was no miss fire anymore, no check engine light, and they had it scanned and there were no codes.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

I've never personally experienced it before, but has anyone else ever run across just a bad tank of gas? My wife's parents were driving their Acura SUV across country, not long after stopping for fuel, the car started missing and the check engine light came on. They powered on with it doing that the whole way home, they fueled up again half an hour from home, and the next morning there was no miss fire anymore, no check engine light, and they had it scanned and there were no codes.

Yes. And you WILL find then when traveling through less populated areas. This is why you need to "travel on the top half of your tank". Chances are a lot better than with only a half a tank of bad fuel you'll still get to somewhere safe.

You near home and too lazy to get gas? Fine. You really out there on the highway? Fill up at half a tank or sooner.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

Did they get gas at some pondunk shithole in Idaho off i84? If so, I had the same loving experience.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

Also yes but saw it at a garage when people brought their cars in for said cel and or miss.

Sounds like you're good this time but have seen a few engine swaps or rebuilds at on the gas stations dime.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

we got a bad tank of diesel at a fuel dock once, up near stockton, ca. which might as well be in alabama. sucked up a big blob of stringy algae, clogged up my fuel lines and suction was pulling air into my fuel line. i am now a pro expert at bleeding yanmar 2/3/4 cylinder diesels from the late 1990s until I got home and cleaned and/or replaced the fuel lines

pretty sure algae does not/cannot grow in gas though

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Anyone have a brand of outdoor car cover they like? For some reason my wife thinks she deserves one of our garage spots rather than them being allocated based solely on current value in which case her car would be relegated to the driveway.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

bird with big dick posted:

Anyone have a brand of outdoor car cover they like? For some reason my wife thinks she deserves one of our garage spots rather than them being allocated based solely on current value in which case her car would be relegated to the driveway.

These things are not cheap but tailored to your car and super good quality:

http://www.carnewal.com/products/All/p080/Car-Cover-Outdoor-Future

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp
I have a 2003 suburban with 165k miles where the battery is going dead, requiring a jump. It has a Duralast Platinum AGM battery, 3 years old. The battery has tested as "good" at AutoZone several times this week, but the voltage was always too low to test the alternator.

I then bought a NoCo Genius 5 charger and left it on overnight in the 12v "AGM" mode. In the morning, I have full bars on the charger so I disconnect it, drive 3mi to AutoZone and get the same result. "Your battery is good, but the voltage is too low to test the alternator"

What should I do next? I'm sick of having them unable to test, and I really want to be sure the alternator is the problem before I drop $200 on a new one.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Get a multimeter and check the voltage, it should be between 13.5 and 14.5 volts or so when charging. If your battery is at say 12.5 volts, and you start the car but it stays the same and even dropping over time, your alternator isn't working.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Or take the alternator off and have them test it separately, they have a test dyno they can stick it on. This could also be beneficial in case the reason the alternator isn't charging is not actually the alternator itself, but due to a cabling/control issue instead.

But I agree with spankmeister, a basic voltage check will probably tell you that your alternator isn't doing a drat thing, and the dipshit at the parts store should've been able to suggest as much instead of saying "it's still too low". Hmm, why might it be low?

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

spankmeister posted:

Get a multimeter and check the voltage, it should be between 13.5 and 14.5 volts or so when charging. If your battery is at say 12.5 volts, and you start the car but it stays the same and even dropping over time, your alternator isn't working.

Thanks! I got the following with my multimeter.

Battery 12.49v before ignition (6hrs on charger)
Started car, no issues.
Idle, read 14.49v
Wait 5min
High load (front and rear heat, all lights on) read 14.34v
Wait 5min
Idle (no lights or heat) read 14.44v
After about 10min I shut the car off, and the battery read 12.39v

Next step is to drive it around and then test with the multimeter. It certainly doesn't seem to be the alternator, unless it's a bearing issue or something where the alternator kicks on only sometimes, or under certain conditions?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Let the car sit several hours and check battery voltage again. Sounds like your alternator is fine though.

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

Accord Update

I loving did it. Me and my brother in law got some vice grips and needle nose pliers from AutoZone . We had to take the intake and the distributor off like the video said and really had to gently caress with the hose to get it off and the new ones on. I read the car manual and some YouTube's then burped the radiator.

Yay! Car runs again!

Thanks for letting me know I could fix this, it was like $50 including antifreeze and a trip to the weed store

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

STR posted:

Let the car sit several hours and check battery voltage again. Sounds like your alternator is fine though.

Yep on both counts. Either your battery is roasted or you've got a parasitic draw.

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Accord Update

I loving did it. Me and my brother in law got some vice grips and needle nose pliers from AutoZone . We had to take the intake and the distributor off like the video said and really had to gently caress with the hose to get it off and the new ones on. I read the car manual and some YouTube's then burped the radiator.

Yay! Car runs again!

Thanks for letting me know I could fix this, it was like $50 including antifreeze and a trip to the weed store

:toot: And now you've got some pliers next time you need to grab something really hard.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Accord Update

Yay! Car runs again!

Congrats that's awesome.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Accord Update

Yay! Car runs again!

Well done!

Now is the time to celebrate! :weed:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Beer_Suitcase posted:

Accord Update

Yay! Car runs again!

Hell yeah!!

Nice work!

You were going on some road trip with it too weren't you? It went off without a hitch I hope?

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

wesleywillis posted:

Hell yeah!!

Nice work!

You were going on some road trip with it too weren't you? It went off without a hitch I hope?

Road trip is at the top of the year, but I also have to get my struts replaced according to the nice man at Les Schwab. This is just a good excuse to make sure all the other car parts are looking good. I need a project honestly

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.
I have been driving my shitheap 2005 Chevy ~*Avalanche*~ for about a year now, slowly fixing and replacing critical things. One thing I am curious about is the sound I get when I turn the steering wheel all the way to lock. There is a significant buzzing sound when the wheel reaches the limit either to the left or right. Not a grinding or rubbing noise, just a sort of "bzzzzz". Typical decaying GMT800 stuff or something that would be concerning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

therunningman posted:

I have been driving my shitheap 2005 Chevy ~*Avalanche*~ for about a year now, slowly fixing and replacing critical things. One thing I am curious about is the sound I get when I turn the steering wheel all the way to lock. There is a significant buzzing sound when the wheel reaches the limit either to the left or right. Not a grinding or rubbing noise, just a sort of "bzzzzz". Typical decaying GMT800 stuff or something that would be concerning?

Check your power steering fluid level.