Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jennifer Coolidge is such a national treasure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
So if Tanya has spotted the scam is she too coked up to care or does she know that they won’t be able to get her money and is just deciding to get laid? She is apparently used to people coming after her for money which suggests she knows exactly what the terms of her prenup are.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

withak posted:

So if Tanya has spotted the scam is she too coked up to care or does she know that they won’t be able to get her money and is just deciding to get laid? She is apparently used to people coming after her for money which suggests she knows exactly what the terms of her prenup are.
I feel like billionaires generally have their legal/money situations locked up extremely tight, and I'd find it really hilarious if that's the case, Tanya knows it, and the scammers actually have no way to get her money.

Like, it would be really hard to pull off a plot where they're getting her killed and are actually confident that will result in Greg getting her money. It seems really unlikely he would have any real understanding of or access to her will, accounts and/or all the staff who would be constantly helping her manage an estate like that.

And if it's an "infidelity clause" thing, it may just be unenforceable in which case lol

Martman fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 5, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Okay so they're definitely running a very involved scam on Albie right? Lol

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I hope weird voice guy is ok.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Is it very involved or is it just Lucia saying "pretend to be mad at me" in Italian

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Anne Whateley posted:

Is it very involved or is it just Lucia saying "pretend to be mad at me" in Italian

Oh did I miss something? I need to rewatch

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
We don't get a translation of what she's saying when she runs into that guy in the street, I'm just guessing it's along those lines

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don’t think she and Mia ever say anything that makes it sound like there is an actual pimp involved in their situation.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Honestly didn't Dom kinda scam her in the first place? Her had arranged for her to spend the week doing girlfriend stuff with him whenever he could get away from the family, then he got cold feet and I got the impression he only paid her for the first night or two.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
She charged a bunch of stuff to his room instead.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

That's true.

It seems like there's a theme this season of people being scammed, realizing they're being scammed, and still deciding to go along with the experience because it's giving them something they're not getting from their normal life. Daphne and Cameron is maybe the example of that kind of mindset taken too far... their "normal life" is constantly lying to each other, while knowing they're both doing it, and they tell themselves it all works out but it looks like it might explode at any moment.

I guess Portia is not seeming down with whatever's going on with Jack, but she may have some important decisions to make in the finale.

Martman fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Dec 5, 2022

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I really think Harper is loving with Ethan to make him feel what she felt and Cam is in on it. I'm afraid it's going to backfire and someone is going to get smashed with that face statue Ethan keeps staring at.

Also this:

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

precision posted:

Okay so they're definitely running a very involved scam on Albie right? Lol

My quasi-theory is that Lucia is scamming Albie but the scam (in her mind) is that she gets him to take her back to the US with him/marry(?) him - earlier it seemed like she wanted out of sex work and Albie could be a ticket out. Otherwise it's a lot of work for a mark that presumably doesn't have easy access to a lot of funds.

Martman posted:

It seems like there's a theme this season of people being scammed, realizing they're being scammed, and still deciding to go along with the experience because it's giving them something they're not getting from their normal life.
I think the theme is everyone dreaming of a fantasy and doing everything they can to maintain the dream, even when reality is screaming at them. Even the front desk* crush is all a fantasy given how unlikely that would be reciprocated (to say nothing of how inappropriate it is). Lucia dreams of a fancy life, her friend dreams of being a star (and just pushes past nearly killing someone to be a lounge singer), Tanya has a fantasy of an Italian adventure and happy marriage, Daphne and Cameron have erected a complete facade, etc. F. Murray Abraham is the only one to have his dream just flat-out obliterated and is coming to terms with it. And that's why the scams take hold - they can still have their dream.

*on a side note I kinda wish the front-of-house stuff had basically been excised since it's kept so separate from the other characters. Armond acted as a sort of glue for the disparate stories, and also would have totally known which nearby jewelry stores were the best ones, or at least bs an answer.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Zachack posted:

I think the theme is everyone dreaming of a fantasy and doing everything they can to maintain the dream, even when reality is screaming at them.
That's maybe a better way of putting it, yeah. I think I'm still reserving some optimism that the stubbornness might actually work out for some characters, but the finale will definitely put it to the test.

This episode convinced me that Ethan is not only pathetic, but extremely stupid. The fact that he can't even conceive of the idea that Harper might be messing with him right now is just kinda sad.

Oof. Now that I've thought about my stupid idea though, I really hope their big scam culminates in Tanya going "oh geez, the prenup? my lawyers told me that part isn't enforceable anyway... why didn't you just ask me for money? we were having so much fun" and the scammers just getting completely screwed over.

Martman fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 5, 2022

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Martman posted:

I feel like billionaires generally have their legal/money situations locked up extremely tight, and I'd find it really hilarious if that's the case, Tanya knows it, and the scammers actually have no way to get her money.

Like, it would be really hard to pull off a plot where they're getting her killed and are actually confident that will result in Greg getting her money. It seems really unlikely he would have any real understanding of or access to her will, accounts and/or all the staff who would be constantly helping her manage an estate like that.

And if it's an "infidelity clause" thing, it may just be unenforceable in which case lol

omg I would love this. Tanya figuring it out halfway through and just getting a good gently caress cos she knows her money's safe

edit: also Mia continues to be my favourite. Just doing whatever she wants and it works out for her. She rules.

Metis of the Chat Thread fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Dec 5, 2022

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

yup lol the cowboy greg theories were right!

i expected the writers to be a bit smarter.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
the greg thing is a little too cute for me

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I love how terrible Ethan is. I wouldn't have predicted he'd be the shittiest guy in the show but I think so far he's winning that contest. Although I think in terms of what they've done throughout their lives rather than what they've done just in the show, Cameron is easily the worst.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I love how terrible Ethan is. I wouldn't have predicted he'd be the shittiest guy in the show but I think so far he's winning that contest. Although I think in terms of what they've done throughout their lives rather than what they've done just in the show, Cameron is easily the worst.

I dunno if we are doing whole life sexual harassment grandpa probably was much worse in his youth.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
They've implied that Cameron is at least covering up for his coworker's sexual harassment, if not his own actions.

And if him grabbing Harper is any indication, he's definitely guilty of some sexual harassment himself.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 5, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao this season’s so good Ethan sucks so much

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

socialsecurity posted:

I dunno if we are doing whole life sexual harassment grandpa probably was much worse in his youth.
Maybe. It's hard to tell. Obviously he sucked but Cameron seems like a straight up "dark triad" psychopath, in the words of his wife describing all his coworkers. Sexual Harassment Grandpa has obviously been terrible his whole life too, but it seems like he might've just been terrible in the typical way a lot of guys of that generation are terrible: sort of out of touch but not actively malicious. Cameron meanwhile is changing in front of his friend's wife to lay the groundwork for later more serious sexual harassment.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

exmarx posted:

the greg thing is a little too cute for me

Same, but literally everything is else is so great I don't care.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Maybe. It's hard to tell. Obviously he sucked but Cameron seems like a straight up "dark triad" psychopath, in the words of his wife describing all his coworkers. Sexual Harassment Grandpa has obviously been terrible his whole life too, but it seems like he might've just been terrible in the typical way a lot of guys of that generation are terrible: sort of out of touch but not actively malicious. Cameron meanwhile is changing in front of his friend's wife to lay the groundwork for later more serious sexual harassment.

Yeah, I thought that was one of themes they were exploring, the whole product of their times, thing. There's a lot of stuff that was as recently as the 1960s/1970s totally acceptable and normal. My step-dad is approaching 80 and he is never going to stop calling waitresses "honey" and "sweetie" we've just kind of made peace with it. Hilariously though a waitress recently brought him an Iced Tea with a little cup of honey on the side after he said "I'll have an Iced-tea, honey." I don't know if she was loving with him, or she just misheard him. Obviously, that's more on the mild side compared to having mistresses, cheating, etc., but for men of certain age, that's just men being manly men, in stark contrast to Albie, who is the modern, enlightened new-age man. It's like a generational exploration of the Virgin versus Chad meme.

E: I thought Cameron's wife said he was not like his dark triad coworkers. More like a misbehaving boy. He seems like a douchey frat bro but doesn't seem like a psycho.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 5, 2022

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

E: I thought Cameron's wife said he was not like his dark triad coworkers. More like a misbehaving boy. He seems like a douchey frat bro but doesn't seem like a psycho.
Yes, that's what she said, but of course she'd want to think that about her husband. Probably he's the same as all the rest of them.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Like someone else said I was expecting Ethan to be closeted but that doesn't seem as likely now

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know what my reaction to Greg being in the picture is, because the idea was said here last week. So I'll just ignore it and see what happens!

Didn't really like this episode though. I'm not into the Ethan/Cam/Harper storyline at the moment, the jealousy games are boring and frustrating to me. Daphne's still cool though. She's probably going to have a big scene in the finale, which I'm looking forward to.

The only thing that sort of perked me up this week was Jack and Portia's little convo at the coast. I think it's interesting that what he said about taking life as it comes, and this being a better time/place than anywhere else, is a good attitude to have - if it's genuine, and if you use it to actually be happy - but I don't think that's where it's coming from with him, since in his last scene we see that he was probably broke, miserable and aimless before a rich (in a sense) older man saw him in a club or something and decided to make him his kept prostitute. So he's just rationalising because he's still not actually happy, it's just better than what he had before.

But Portia's reaction to it when he says this is the best time etc, isn't because she senses he's unhappy underneath that. It's because she thinks he's shallow and ignorant, and maybe he is, but that doesn't mean she's right either. She's having a very 'oh my god this guy's an idiot...' moment, because she thinks that her paying lip service to 'the world falling apart' and being disaffected by the affluence she chooses to surround herself with, and which she secretly aspires to, makes her one of the good and smart people. It doesn't. So now she's turned off by everything he does.

It's similar to the split between Harper and Cameron/Daphne earlier in the season, although things have moved into an area I don't like in that storyline, I like this little idea running through the show. I think I would be more into the season if that was the focus rather than sexual dynamics.

Also, as much as Valentina has been pathetic the past few episodes, I was happy for her enjoying some sex for the first time ever.

Tanya's scenes have picked up.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Dec 5, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm glad that Valentina isn't as horrible as Armand was. Her losing her lesbian virginity was extremely :3:

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

precision posted:

I'm glad that Valentina isn't as horrible as Armand was. Her losing her lesbian virginity was extremely :3:

They're both like, bad, especially as bosses, but Armand is much more of a dynamic and charismatic figure based on how much Murray Bartlett brought to the role. Both of them try to coerce underlings of theirs into a sexual relationship which is highly unethical, though Valentina is less pushy on that.

One thing I wish this season didn't do was introduce the whole 'there are a whole bunch of dead bodies' thing early on. I can understand why they did it in the first season, but at this point and given how successful the show is, they don't need to give us a hook like that. I just don't think the show needs that kind of mystery to drive it, I'm hooked enough watching these people, most of them very rich and very miserable, ruin their own relationships. That's human drama enough for me. Ah well, its there.

It served a purpose in the first season at least in showing how the ultra-wealthy (or even just upper middle class), no matter their erudition and supposed empathy, will destroy and discard the people below them on a whim. There are the extreme examples (Armand being killed and immediately replaced, Paula encouraging her lover to rob the rich patrons and ruin his life) and less extreme ones (Tanya bringing Belinda's hopes up and then dashing them immediately). With that in mind, it seems less likely that Tanya is going to get murdered, or that any of the extremely rich people face any material consequences, its always the working and underclass who have to deal with the fallout. In fact, their deaths are the sacrifices that bring reconciliation, like the newlywed couple reconnecting after Armand's death.

Which would make one feel ominous about Mia and Lucia. But Mike White has done a lot to avoid falling into very obvious and rote plot lines, and the 'tragic dead sex worker' is one has been played out again and again. I, can, however, easily see Albie's nice guy 'chivalry' drop away in the face of privilege, however. But who knows? The one bright spot in season 1 was the Mossbacher kid skipping out on his parents to join the Hawaiians. It won't last of course, his parents will scoop him up at some point, but it showed that nothing is written in stone and sometimes people can slip out of their pre-assigned roles.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

I agree that the “someone’s dead” hook, let alone multiple people, wasn’t necessary this season. The show has established how wild it gets when everything goes to poo poo. It’s fun to speculate about who dies, but at this point I feel it’d be more fun to wonder if a death is even going to happen. But that’s the most minor of gripes. I’m really enjoying this season and am curious who’s going to get shot by that gun.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
a huge part of the fun of this show is knowing that someone is gonna die and speculating on which trainwreck personality/storyline is going to end up killing someone. this is one of the best things the show does and it should not be changed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seems like Tanya and Portia are pretty safe, unless the first thing they do next episode is travel back to the hotel.

Besides, they can't kill Tanya or she won't be able to continue to spread death to other resorts in future seasons. After this vacation she may end up on an Interpol watchlist.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Moltke posted:

a huge part of the fun of this show is knowing that someone is gonna die and speculating on which trainwreck personality/storyline is going to end up killing someone. this is one of the best things the show does and it should not be changed.

Agreed

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

clown shoes posted:

I really think Harper is loving with Ethan to make him feel what she felt and Cam is in on it. I'm afraid it's going to backfire and someone is going to get smashed with that face statue Ethan keeps staring at.

Also this:

The preview for the next ep really gives the impression that Ethan’s suspicions are correct.

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022

Moltke posted:

Not only is there the speculation, there's the feeling you get watching all these stories at once. It's like watching a slow motion trainwreck but you aren't sure which train is going to crash. Which just makes every selfish, misguided, spiteful or foolish decision that a character makes weigh on the viewer even more. A low key dread hanging over an idyllic, beautiful destination.

Though I will say that at the start of the season I wasn't sure about how on the nose some of the verbal innuendos to death can be. Over time it seems like the decision to go over the top is a purposeful and stylistic choice and I am starting to dig it.

I do miss Armand though, perhaps for next season he can be bought back in as a Dexter style Ghost Dad character.

e: also I hope the foreshadowing in the title sequence is incredibly literal and someone ends up loving a swan

Poopbutt fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 5, 2022

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Call me crazy but I’m pretty sure Ethan wants to watch Cameron have sex with Harper and I’m pretty sure that’s what the show is building up to

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Yes, that's what she said, but of course she'd want to think that about her husband. Probably he's the same as all the rest of them.

Not really sure how his dark triad bros can be worse than sleeping with a prostitute on a vacation with his wife and feeling up his friends wife during dinner.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Starks posted:

Call me crazy but I’m pretty sure Ethan wants to watch Cameron have sex with Harper and I’m pretty sure that’s what the show is building up to

This whole thing is just his sublimated cuckold fetish :hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Moltke posted: