Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Kale posted:

I'm guessing now that's maybe only going to come after they've introduced all the playable regions that are probably taking up the majority of development time and focus though.

Just remember, the current name of the story arc we're in is The Teyvat Chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Give us the Alhaitham drip :arghfist::f5:

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

gandlethorpe posted:

Give us the Alhaitham drip :arghfist::f5:
He uses Xiphos' Moonlight in his cutscene fight against Cyno, so clearly he's yet another EM-liker. Back into the goblet mines!

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Given that Nahida can do everything and we think "dendro Kokomi" will probably be Baizhu's thing, there's not really an obvious niche for him, is there? A shielder or buffer seems to be the most likely thing? Maybe both!

I don't think a mono-dendro gimmick is in the cards yet. Even after he comes out, there still won't be enough characters for it.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
I think there's no problem with Alhaitham being a carry, just in opposite directions from Tighnari (and maybe stronger, being a limited unit) like having better AOE or being a hypercarry instead of quickswap.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Dendro desperately needs a shielder for nilou teams

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Kale posted:

It's much more apparent in Honkai then virtually any other GAAS I think I've ever played really. I got the chance to use a trial character that came out this year after using the starting characters from 2018 for a while now and it's more stark than even moving on from Lisa/Kaeya/Traveller/Barbara/Amber to virtually anyone else. Such smoother movement and unique animations for skills and even cutaway animations for Ults. This is mostly because the starter units in that game move like absolute complete dogshit. Basically imagine if every character you got for free's sprint mechanic was the equivalent of Kujou Sara's E-skill movement is the best way I could describe it.

the b rank "3-star-character" starters all suck but early s ranker units like hotv are still decently smooth
they give her free to every new player now too alongside another S-rank, fallen rosemary.

hotv is giga powercrept in the actual meta though regardless of how interesting she may or may not be to play. still better than b-rank kiana though lol

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i like this game a lot. it's cool and fun to play.

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
This Alhaitham wait is excruciating, hahh....

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Honestly didn't expect Faruzan to be like Breath of the Wild Purah as another character who has conquered the concept of aging.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

on alhaitham there was a leak a while back that basically made him sound like the fusion of albedo and childe, where he could deploy a zone that attacks enemies on its own but also turned his regular attacks into ranged thrown attacks closer to what a catalyst's normals would be while he's in the zone, so he's kind of reverse childe in that he changes from a melee to a ranged unit and i'm kinda hoping his actual kit is like that because that sounds fun as hell :v:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I like this one

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mix. posted:

on alhaitham there was a leak a while back that basically made him sound like the fusion of albedo and childe, where he could deploy a zone that attacks enemies on its own but also turned his regular attacks into ranged thrown attacks closer to what a catalyst's normals would be while he's in the zone, so he's kind of reverse childe in that he changes from a melee to a ranged unit and i'm kinda hoping his actual kit is like that because that sounds fun as hell :v:

Wait so while he's in the area he goes ranged? That sounds kind of weird. If he lays down an area it would be better if he turned melee while in it.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Happy Underpants posted:

I started playing because I wanted to play Breath of the Wild on PC :shrug:. I was immediately disappointed by the lack of dress up.

Oh, big same. After going through BotW getting every korok seed and maxing every armor set before reluctantly fighting a single divine beast, I thought I'd give this a try instead of playing BotW NG+.

Unfortunately Genshin doesn't have a Majora's Mask equivalent to make enemies ignore me while I look for treasure chests. But it also doesn't make me slide down cliffs when it's raining. So, pros and cons.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Stare-Out posted:

Wait so while he's in the area he goes ranged? That sounds kind of weird. If he lays down an area it would be better if he turned melee while in it.

well, we already know he's sword because he uses one in the story, so they couldn't do that if they wanted to. it'd be kind of neat if he had some kind of CC where he pulled enemies into the zone he's in with the ranged attacks or something, or he gets some kind of buff while he's in the zone to make it worth it. (or just make the zone really big). the leak also indicated that his ult generated some kind of buff to the damage his zone does with an explosion at the end, so maybe that'll be it? we'll just have to wait and see when the next beta goes live. :v:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mix. posted:

well, we already know he's sword because he uses one in the story, so they couldn't do that if they wanted to. it'd be kind of neat if he had some kind of CC where he pulled enemies into the zone he's in with the ranged attacks or something, or he gets some kind of buff while he's in the zone to make it worth it. (or just make the zone really big). the leak also indicated that his ult generated some kind of buff to the damage his zone does with an explosion at the end, so maybe that'll be it? we'll just have to wait and see when the next beta goes live. :v:

Yeah I guess that's true. It would be neat to have a twist on the Childe formula by having a melee character turn ranged and being buffed by staying outside of zone they create or something.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Mix. posted:

as far as i can tell a lot of this this is pure speculation
from various leaks including the leaked avatar.json we know that he has a dendro infusion of some kind, he has a chargable skill that throws a "forlorn lotus", no clue what the lotus does. there's no implication that he has a ranged stance besides one leaker saying his kit had something to do with bullets, which most likely comes from his burst.
separate leaks say that his burst detonates the forlorn lotus on field and/or spawns an area of some kind and a prism that shoots projectiles

this is the biggest compilation of leaks i can find although all the twitter posts it links are deleted/private

MoonCrab
Nov 19, 2014

A mildly pertubed emoji face
Ah, how annoying. I remember hearing that anything that has to do with "bullets" actually means something else, but I don't remember what the something else ended up being. I think I remember Faruzan and Mika's kits also having something to do with "bullets." Maybe it means, a projectile that spawns an effect when it collides with something? I don't remember though.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Nyaawn posted:

Uh Jean has pants

Now that I think about it, Jean might be the only woman in the game (including NPCs) who wears pants. I'm kinda surprised her new default outfit didn't change her pants into stockings and shorts to fix that.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I like this one

Okay, that's cute and I hope that artwork makes it into the card game proper

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Shinji2015 posted:

Now that I think about it, Jean might be the only woman in the game (including NPCs) who wears pants. I'm kinda surprised her new default outfit didn't change her pants into stockings and shorts to fix that.

Layla basically has the same kind of pants as Jean

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Aloy wears pants, unless you're only talking about the tall female model

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
aloy doesnt count since her character design comes from sony instead of mhy
and jean doesn't have real pants she has vacuum sealed ultra form fitting tights / yoga pants

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the pants decider

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Sustainer of Fashion Principles

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
There's a new web event that only works on mobile called Duelist Rising where you collect cards (not for in game use) and get rewards. If you want to use your desktop Firefox can access the mobile version of the webpage by doing Crtl-Shift-M and then selecting a device from the drop down at the top. I'm sure other browsers can do the same but I use Firefox.

Event article: https://www.hoyolab.com/article/14151301

Tanreall fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Dec 6, 2022

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Faruzan is such a funny grandma, most people would be annoyed or disappointed at being old but she only sees it as an excuse to spoil good kids and yell at the lovely ones even more.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/genshin_meme_jp/status/1599735346840932356?t=mxDkO3vPREk1TsgXkt-Oaw&s=19

thought this might be interesting to people, personal pronouns (as in, versions of 'i') used in the jp script.

for quick descriptions (note that in real life, a person usually switches pronouns depending on context, while in entertainment a character generally sticks to one pronoun in order to give them a firmer image):

oira: country bumpkin, somewhat masculine and proud. goku uses this. (well technically he uses ora but oira is basically the same thing)

watashi: somewhat formal, slightly feminine but can be used by men in polite context (for instance, men tend to use it in college classes). uraraka in my hero academia uses this. one of the standard pronouns in real life.

ore: masculine, somewhat proud, can be impolite if used in formal/polite contexts. naruto and sasuke use this, as do most 'aggressive' male characters in fiction. one of the standard pronouns in real life.

ore-sama: mostly exclusive to anime or kids being silly. textually it comes across very proud and arrogant but it mostly just comes across silly or like you're trying too hard. every generic bandit guy who gets beaten up in chapter 1 of a fire emblem game uses this.

atashi: a more feminine derivative of watashi. mostly used in casual conversation by more polite women. orihime in bleach uses this. can be used my men when trying to appear humble or nonthreatening, usually associated with shopkeeping or merchants when used by men. fairly standard in real life.

atai: an informal slang version of atashi, somewhat impolite. has a lower class, uneducated, or rebellious image. ayla in chrono trigger uses this.

boku: a masculine pronoun thats more assertive than watashi but much less so than ore. common with young boys, or men who aren't trying to project any kind of strength. adult men in real life mostly use it when dealing with strangers, for instance, while rarely using it with friends. young women occasionally use it to project a tomboyish image, but thats much more common in anime than it is in real life, outside of very close company. deku in my hero academia uses this, hence the series' jp title, boku no hero academia. one of the standard pronouns in real life.

watakushi: an extremely formal and polite pronoun. has an oldfashioned feel to it. generally associated with princesses in fiction, hence fischl's use of it despite her not necessarily being polite and humble. dori's use of it is likely a reference to very early japanese classes for foreigners, where the only personal pronoun they were told to use was 'watakushi' (under the logic that while it might sound stiff and weird, it was unlikely to offend anyone) so it has an association with foreign merchants and traders. frieza uses it in dbz, at least when hes trying to appear polite, likely in reference to this, since he is in the business of selling planets. sees some use in real life, mostly in things like formal job interviews.

ware: an extremely old-fashioned personal pronoun, gender neutral, still used in writing, very polite. has a slight 'robotic' feel to it. in fiction, associated with powerful immortal entities like gods, demons, or ancient war machines, hence xiao and shenhe's use of it since they sorta fit multiple of those categories. has a slight impersonal feel to it specifically, which especially fits shenhe.

warawa: archaic feminine pronoun, mainly used by women in samurai families. humble and self-effacing. no longer used today. in fiction it tends to be associated with ancient female characters using it ironically, which fits yae to a T.

washi: a pronoun mostly associated with old men in fiction, though in real life its gender neutral and relatively common in kansai, but its use has declined among younger generations due to that fictional use. very much associated with wise old men characters, for instance the JP translations of lord of the rings have both gandalf and saruman use it. faruzan's use of it is a dig about her age, basically, but also a reference to her intelligence.

uchi: informal feminine pronoun, mostly associated with kansai and kyushu. due to regional stereotypes (think american stereotypes about texas), it's associated with easy going characters, as well as cool big sister types, both of which yoimiya kinda fits.

sessha: a formal, very humble personal pronoun (roughly means 'this unworthy fool'), mostly associated with samurai and ninja in fiction. goemon in lupin the third uses this, for instance.

setsu: 'this clumsy one,' seems to be used in fiction as a derivative of sessha.

own name: very young kids do this, hence klee and qiqi doing it. sayu and diona not doing it establishes them as either slightly older or more mature than klee and qiqi.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Dec 6, 2022

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Knowing that Xiao uses ware is making me cringe for using ware.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

So, in English Cloud Retainer always refers to herself as 'One'

'One is most impressed.' 'You surmise correctly. This place did oneself build, as did one design the mechanisms within.'

18:54 if the video doesn't load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPFRmK1DaBQ&t=1134s

I still need to reread that post 7 more times to try and keep all that info locked in, how would that translate into Japanese?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
i mean you can't just mechanically translate that poo poo one-to-one, it's all based on vibes
you would have to go read the japanese script and see what personal pronoun cloud retainer uses there

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

So, in English Cloud Retainer always refers to herself as 'One'

'One is most impressed.' 'You surmise correctly. This place did oneself build, as did one design the mechanisms within.'

18:54 if the video doesn't load.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPFRmK1DaBQ&t=1134s

I still need to reread that post 7 more times to try and keep all that info locked in, how would that translate into Japanese?
yeah there's no 1:1 here and i cant really tell what the jp script uses. especially when this game is originally written in chinese, a language i know basically nothing about.

theres certain things where you can sort of guess (if someone says something like 'i, the great *insert name here*' it was usually ore-sama in jp) but the 'one' thing isn't nearly common enough or has a close enough equivalent in jp for me to guess.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
In the Japanese script as it's written, she calls herself "warawa" like Miko.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Cloud Retainer and the other non-humanoid adepti are just doing a variant of the Royal We because they're old as poo poo and expect a certain amount of decorum towards themselves from the humans. Although Cloud I think actually slips up once or twice and says "I" instead, so it's really just an affectation for their station, I figure.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/genshin_meme_jp/status/1599735346840932356?t=mxDkO3vPREk1TsgXkt-Oaw&s=19

thought this might be interesting to people, personal pronouns (as in, versions of 'i') used in the jp script.

for quick descriptions (note that in real life, a person usually switches pronouns depending on context, while in entertainment a character generally sticks to one pronoun in order to give them a firmer image):

oira: country bumpkin, somewhat masculine and proud. goku uses this. (well technically he uses ora but oira is basically the same thing).

cant believe paimon uses this pronoun

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Nyaawn posted:

paimon is sans undertale, everything makes sense now

gently caress off, mattpat

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Nyaawn posted:

Yeah, it rules.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Oira is pretty common for goofy mascot characters -- the paimon equivalent in Granblue Fantasy, a little floating dragon like Vryn, does the same thing

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Forget hydro claymores and cryo catalysts-- we should be asking when we'll get the first characters to call themselves "yo" and "wagahai".

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Also, you can file Dehya under "atashi"; Alhaitham under "ore"; Kaveh under "boku"; and Baizhu, Signora and Dottore under "watashi". I spent literal minutes in the Travel Log conducting this crucial research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My pronouns are watashi/ware, my girlfriend's are watashi/boku, my japanese professor watashi/ore.