Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

scamtank posted:

I'm also fairly sure that uprooting the base raws will still leave all of the hardcoded stuff in, which continues to be a lot
Do we even have the ability to choose a non-dwarf speciies when making a fort if one is set playable in the raws yet? I don't remember

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Don't games on steam normally release on Tuesdays?

big black turnout posted:

That's a dumb day to release games

mercenarynuker posted:

Games, books, DVDs all release on Tuesdays. I used to know one alleged reason why, but it's been too long since I worked retail to remember, thank god.

Got curious, and looked this up:

quote:

It’s because DVD, Bluray, CD and video game sales are tracked by Luminate (formerly Nielsen SoundScan, Nielsen Music Products, and MRC Data), a company that compiles sales data on these items. They’re like Nielson TV ratings, except for music, movie and video game sales.

They measure the number of weekly sales starting on Tuesday through to the following Monday. Publishers release new items on Tuesday so the first week of sales data is seven days; that means sales from that week can be compared to sales data from following weeks in an accurate way.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Eh plenty of games release on non-Tuesdays now, and not even just indie titles. Three big budget games just released last Friday.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

quote:

Mission Status

Have you ever looked up at the moon and said, "Everything I worked on since I was 5 years old, 42 years ago, is culminating with the press of a button, into a pass/fail judgment of your entire life's work?" Of course you haven't. Neither have I. I keep my emotions under control as stress finds its way into my nightmares and robs my brain of the ability to make good decisions. So I hope for the whole team's sake that you press that button.

"Congratulations to the generous!" -- ThreeToe

This made me realize: there are going to be reviews

How would you even begin to write such a thing

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Procedurally?

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

Procedurally?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You start with the words: "This is a video game authored by Toady One. All craftsmanship is of the highest quality."

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

nielsm posted:

You start with the words: "This is a video game authored by Toady One. All craftsmanship is of the highest quality."
"It menaces with spikes" surely also belongs somewhere in there.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

"It menaces with spikes" surely also belongs somewhere in there.

It menaces with spikes of memes.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

hurry uuuuuuuuup tomorrow :f5:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I cannot wait to see what kind of batshit nonsense bugs show up. Even with the extra eyes and hands working on things now, there's just so many different complex systems that something will slip through, I just know it.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So, something I just never really interacted in this game significantly was prepared meals. How do I do prepared meals without risking running out of seeds?

Is it mostly safe if I make prepared meals but I forbid the use of seeds?

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Yeah, that's what I do. Drinks too.

I also like bringing a healthy flock of birds on every embark since eggs are a low effort meal ingredient

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I realise I could've donated at any point but I'm genuinely looking forward to finally handing over some money tomorrow.

I'm really curious to see what the sales figures & review scores are going to be.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

eonwe posted:

So, something I just never really interacted in this game significantly was prepared meals. How do I do prepared meals without risking running out of seeds?

There's a sub-menu of the food stocks page where you can set what dwarves do and don't cook with. You can turn off seeds there and then it's completely safe.

Don't actually 'f'orbid seeds because I believe in that case nobody will plant them either (unless that's what you want).

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Ah darn, doesn't look like it will be a midnight release. I'm sorely tempted to take the day off tomorrow.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

There's a sub-menu of the food stocks page where you can set what dwarves do and don't cook with. You can turn off seeds there and then it's completely safe.

Don't actually 'f'orbid seeds because I believe in that case nobody will plant them either (unless that's what you want).

Got it! Thank you

Deki posted:

Yeah, that's what I do. Drinks too.

I also like bringing a healthy flock of birds on every embark since eggs are a low effort meal ingredient

also ty, good idea on the eggs

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

PC Gamer's review is up: 84/100

https://www.pcgamer.com/dwarf-fortress-review/

Points of criticism are the overly basic tutorial and that the placement of some menus is illogical. He still says now that he's played the Steam version, he can't go back.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

William Bear posted:

PC Gamer's review is up: 84/100

Just giving it the New Vegas score I see

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Lol imagine what this guy had to do/say to think that the community isn't friendly towards noobs. I have never seen a community more patient and willing to answer questions in my entire life in any context.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
(it's ai generated)

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

lol whoops

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I mean, it really does sound like a regular steam review. So AI generated can pass for a normal grumbler on the internet just fine... Success?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

eonwe posted:

quarry bush leaves

so many quarry bush leaves

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I haven’t played in years, can you still buy entire caravans with quarry bush leaf meals?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

GruntyThrst posted:

I haven’t played in years, can you still buy entire caravans with quarry bush leaf meals?

sort of, trade values still don't make any kind of sense but lavish meals need three different ingredients

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

GruntyThrst posted:

I think this is one of the things they've talked about being rebalanced in the steam version. Not sure if that's for launch or Soon

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Yeah I'm currently gobbling up entire caravans in exchange for 4-7 full barrels of strawberry llama fish roasts.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

I think this is one of the things they've talked about being rebalanced in the steam version. Not sure if that's for launch or Soon

prepared meals trade value and underground crop yields outside of caverns (1/4th of previous amount) are the two biggest nerfs I've heard spoken of. Of course now that I'm looking I can't for the life of me find a source for this :rolleyes:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

sebmojo posted:

180px wide, maybe 40 high? Minimal kb, like 5-6kb ideally, astral gets Unhappy if they are too big.

I can get this one down to about 15k, anyone want a stab at it?

edit, a bit smaller one

Yooper fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Dec 5, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

thunderspanks posted:

prepared meals trade value and underground crop yields outside of caverns (1/4th of previous amount) are the two biggest nerfs I've heard spoken of. Of course now that I'm looking I can't for the life of me find a source for this :rolleyes:
What I often did during the first couple of years was a lot of gathering in the biome, and since I tended not to go into really forbidding areas I could often grow surface crops inside of the walls once I had 'em up.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

thunderspanks posted:

So no more assigning one farmer to a plump helmet patch and having enough food for an entire small fortress?

Dang.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

re:pcgamer review

he's played a lot of the original i guess but also said a few? dozen hours with premium

glad to see the new ui is sticking for him and hes not going back to keyboard

what the gently caress am i going to do with this numpad now???

SSJ_naruto_2003 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 5, 2022

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

what the gently caress am i going to do with this numpad now???

play dwarf fortress ~classic~ and grumble about how good kids have it these days

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1599780828116144135?s=20&t=wUaHfkzm_PjEpaiTK_gkNQ

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I'm going to click on so many dwarves tomorrow

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Polygon was extremely polygon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Yooper posted:

I can get this one down to about 15k, anyone want a stab at it?

edit, a bit smaller one

I like the second one myself. Maybe with some text on the left side?

Edit: Oh that one is pretty large, here is a compressed version down to 10 KiB.

Popete fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 5, 2022