Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Rex used to be the go-to for real world weather in P3d, but since MSFS has its own realtime weather, and Asobo is slowly but steadily making that better, there's basically zero reason to buy the Rex product now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Squiggle posted:

It's going to take until mid-January to get here, but the HP Reberb G2 is half off today, down to $300 and I went ahead and pulled the trigger. My Rift S was aged when I bought it, and my system's way beefier than it used to be so bring on the extra res

edit to add link

Hey, I wonder if that’s in the uk too? Ohhh, 10% off bringing it to 615 :suicide:

Anyone feel like shipping one over?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
has anybody else encountered an issue where FS2020 insists on checking for/installing updates to a random folder different from where the game is actually installed? launched today to see a ~130GB update which could not have possibly been right....then I re-launched and noticed it was trying to look for the packages folder on an SSD where i've never installed the game and where i don't have any steam games installed lol. i thought maybe the game is just really stupid and defaults to a C: directory but nah, this is a different drive where all I've got is video/music production related stuff

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I was having a nice afternoon flight over the sedona desert and my DC-3 just shut down on me.
Did the auto repair/fuel command, but it didn’t help.

Is that the similation throwing a problem at me on purpose?

I dunno, i’m a newb that only knows the basics.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

ChocNitty posted:

I was having a nice afternoon flight over the sedona desert and my DC-3 just shut down on me.

Did you put it down nice and tidy?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Did you accidentally hit the cold/dark switch (I think it/s marked "C/D") next to the battery switch?

Saw a streamer do that accidentally midflight (he was tabbed out and was coming back in). It didn't end well.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
That's a thing? Why is that a thing?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

ChocNitty posted:

I know you said auto fuel, but is it possible that the main fuel tanks simply ran out? The plane doesn't notify you afaik, and it certainly doesn't auto-switch to aux tanks, or feed from them; you have to manually switch to aux, and it may happen way sooner than the 2300nm range leads one to believe.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Now that we're into winter in Canada the default season is just awful. Everything is white and snow covered. Highways, cities, most runways, just a poo poo ton of snow on virtually everything. Really kills the scenery realism imho.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Supposedly Asobo is fixing that, since they're talking with MetoBlue to get more precise snow cover data to go with the weather.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I would be happy if they gave a few more good looking presets, but most importantly the ability to read out the weather. It's very good that they added a metar drop down, but often it doesn't have any data.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

azflyboy posted:

Supposedly Asobo is fixing that, since they're talking with MetoBlue to get more precise snow cover data to go with the weather.

The Q&A Livestream where they mentioned this was hilarious because they said something like "we read the forums religiously" and then almost immediately started talking about the snow cover issue with "we only recently heard about this."

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Funny because this summer in the sim Innsbruck was covered in snow at like 25°C

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

slidebite posted:

Now that we're into winter in Canada the default season is just awful. Everything is white and snow covered. Highways, cities, most runways, just a poo poo ton of snow on virtually everything. Really kills the scenery realism imho.

...does it though? I haven't taken a close look at FS2020's representation, but poo poo's REALLY loving WHITE up there IRL. Apart from the larger airports - Springbank, Calgary, Lethbridge, Red Deer -- poo poo's at least partially snow-covered.

I want to introduce the City of Calgary to a wonderous new invention they apparently aren't aware of: the snowplow.

EDIT: Checked it out, the runways are a bit ridiculous but otherwise... looks more or less right, depending on the day.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 6, 2022

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
They did a new beta thing yesterday, all about implementing the new G3000 and such, but I noticed in the patch notes they also mentioned something about the snow coverage on runways and taxiways so they might actually be addressing that very issue as we speak. Haven't installed it myself but I'd absolutely be happy with just the clean runways and taxiways because finding my way around an airport in winter was always a bit of a nightmare

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

PT6A posted:

EDIT: Checked it out, the runways are a bit ridiculous but otherwise... looks more or less right, depending on the day.

Large airports with hundreds of operations a day and a small city's worth of snow removal equipment still having completely snow covered runways several days after the most recent snowfall is the entire problem, yes. I do hope they don't overreact and make it so even small airports during snow have totally clear surfaces but I have very little confidence in Asobo wrt that sort of thing.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Isn’t this information a part of the metar for any runway with snow on it?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Mokotow posted:

Isn’t this information a part of the metar for any runway with snow on it?

Typically that's on the ATIS. And those are only at towered airports. And to make it more difficult, only a few major American airports have digital versions of their ATIS publicly available.

Edit: https://datis.clowd.io/ if you want them for simulation use.

Zero One fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 6, 2022

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Zero One posted:

Typically that's on the ATIS. And those are only at towered airports. And to make it more difficult, only a few major American airports have digital versions of their ATIS publicly available.

Edit: https://datis.clowd.io/ if you want them for simulation use.

You’re right of course, mixed my METAR with my ATIS. I remember the snow reporting component was fairly robust, but if its availability is so poor, then making an automated system to interpret this data into the game world would be a waste of time.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Does anyone think this looks useful? I'm tempted to pitch in because it seems to be a good compromise between a jankt button box and an overpriced Garmin Simulator. And I kinda believe that they're going to ship as well.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/octavi/octavi-the-worlds-smallest-cockpit

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Does anyone think this looks useful? I'm tempted to pitch in because it seems to be a good compromise between a jankt button box and an overpriced Garmin Simulator. And I kinda believe that they're going to ship as well.

I was going to say it's overpriced but knowing that the Knobster goes for like $110+ bucks I'd say this is probably a comparatively good value. It's insane how hard it is to find anything with a double rotary knob. It might be worth considering the Stream Deck+ for a couple bucks more. Doesn't have double rotary but could have similar functionality with the push knobs and has a bit more utility outside of flight sims.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Scruff McGruff posted:

I was going to say it's overpriced but knowing that the Knobster goes for like $110+ bucks I'd say this is probably a comparatively good value. It's insane how hard it is to find anything with a double rotary knob. It might be worth considering the Stream Deck+ for a couple bucks more. Doesn't have double rotary but could have similar functionality with the push knobs and has a bit more utility outside of flight sims.

I've seen people (including in this thread) use a MIDI-controller to good effect as well, since it has lots of rotaries and buttons.

The neat thing about this one is indeed the double rotary with push button function; the switch alone costs tens of dollars on AliExpress. And making it plug and play with sims is more than programming a push button matrix.

And if you're in VR the lack of a display doesn't matter.

I notice that I'm finding excuses to buy this thing haha

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Lord Stimperor posted:

I mean, this is the Flight Sim thread, It's what we do.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

I've seen people (including in this thread) use a MIDI-controller to good effect as well, since it has lots of rotaries and buttons.

Hi, it's me, one of the midi guys you speak of. I made a big post about how I've set up my Behringer X-Touch Mini using an app called Axis And Ohs. Since then I've refined things quite a bit but the basics are still entirely applicable.

IMO a cheap midi controller is the way to go over this kickstarter project.

Pros:
- far more versatile (more buttons, more knobs)
- ability to have per-plane controller profiles and automatically switch profiles
- cheaper
- actually exists

Cons:
- a not insignificant learning curve, especially if you don't have any programming experience
- requires another app that needs to be running while you're simming
- not as professional looking (nicely printed overlays help a lot)

This is the most recent pic of my setup:

The X-Touch Mini is on top of the Alpha. In the 152, just the knobs work, but in the 172 it will control the GNS 530/430. In something with a G1000 it will operate the PFD and MFD. I make the overlays in Photoshop and then get them printed on thick cardstock at a local printing place.

Lord Stimperor posted:

The neat thing about this one is indeed the double rotary with push button function; the switch alone costs tens of dollars on AliExpress. And making it plug and play with sims is more than programming a push button matrix.

I have something to say about this too!

A while back I built this:

Two dual encoders with push button from PropWash, and a spare Arduino Micro I had kicking around. You can see it in the first picture between the Alpha and the Bravo. These I've programmed to handle VOR and/or ADF tuning.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Lord Stimperor posted:

I'm digging the circa 1995 Microsoft sidewinder joystick he's using.

I had one it was a great stick.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

I also have an X-Touch Mini and I can confirm that, if you have the VKB GNX modules, it fits perfectly on the bracket between the THQ/SEM and the FSM-GA.

Pretty great in MSFS with Axis and Ohs and I wish they supported DCS too. Spent way too much time getting one of the many MIDI-to-vJoy tools to work and be properly configured compared to the plug and play of A&O.

There's also a cool utility called NK2Tray that lets it control the Windows audio mixer panel which is pretty handy outside of flight sims.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Rot posted:

Hi, it's me, one of the midi guys you speak of. I made a big post about how I've set up my Behringer X-Touch Mini using an app called Axis And Ohs. Since then I've refined things quite a bit but the basics are still entirely applicable.

IMO a cheap midi controller is the way to go over this kickstarter project.

Pros:
- far more versatile (more buttons, more knobs)
- ability to have per-plane controller profiles and automatically switch profiles
- cheaper
- actually exists

Cons:
- a not insignificant learning curve, especially if you don't have any programming experience
- requires another app that needs to be running while you're simming
- not as professional looking (nicely printed overlays help a lot)

This is the most recent pic of my setup:

The X-Touch Mini is on top of the Alpha. In the 152, just the knobs work, but in the 172 it will control the GNS 530/430. In something with a G1000 it will operate the PFD and MFD. I make the overlays in Photoshop and then get them printed on thick cardstock at a local printing place.

I have something to say about this too!

A while back I built this:

Two dual encoders with push button from PropWash, and a spare Arduino Micro I had kicking around. You can see it in the first picture between the Alpha and the Bravo. These I've programmed to handle VOR and/or ADF tuning.

I was curious about using the X-Touch Mini and went through your posts itt etc, nice work. I had a couple questions.

I am primarily playing DCS and have a full Virpil HOTAS setup but its got a lack of rotary dials. I was considering just building a rotary dial button box at some point to learn / tinker with. However the X-touch controls seem pretty drat close to what I would have built.

It seems someone has made some attempt to integrate this with DCS already https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3320133/

Any idea how good of a solution that might be? I know you are in MSFS but I am starting from square 1 and had never even heard of this type of controller until I read your latest post.

Also you mentioned programming being a substantial learning curve, what type of programming? I have very limited experience but willing to use it as an exercise to learn if need be.

Sorry this is kind of tangential to your project but hopefully you or others might have some insight.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Scruff McGruff posted:

I also have an X-Touch Mini and I can confirm that, if you have the VKB GNX modules, it fits perfectly on the bracket between the THQ/SEM and the FSM-GA.

Pretty great in MSFS with Axis and Ohs and I wish they supported DCS too. Spent way too much time getting one of the many MIDI-to-vJoy tools to work and be properly configured compared to the plug and play of A&O.

There's also a cool utility called NK2Tray that lets it control the Windows audio mixer panel which is pretty handy outside of flight sims.

F18 throttle on the right??? IMMERSION RUINED!! :mad:

How do you like the omni throttle? I was thinking of getting a pair of Gladiator sticks, making some sort of mount system for my chair, and do me some hellacopterin'. I figured maybe the Omni would make a good collective but now that I think a bit harder it probably makes more sense to just go with two regulars.

How does the twist work? On the green axis or the red?

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

That Works posted:

I was curious about using the X-Touch Mini and went through your posts itt etc, nice work. I had a couple questions.

I am primarily playing DCS and have a full Virpil HOTAS setup but its got a lack of rotary dials. I was considering just building a rotary dial button box at some point to learn / tinker with. However the X-touch controls seem pretty drat close to what I would have built.

It seems someone has made some attempt to integrate this with DCS already https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3320133/

Any idea how good of a solution that might be? I know you are in MSFS but I am starting from square 1 and had never even heard of this type of controller until I read your latest post.

Also you mentioned programming being a substantial learning curve, what type of programming? I have very limited experience but willing to use it as an exercise to learn if need be.

Sorry this is kind of tangential to your project but hopefully you or others might have some insight.

Scruff might be able to speak more about DCS and a midi controller. If you just want rotary dials, like my nav radio encoders, those just run off a regular Arduino joystick library so there shouldn't be an issue mapping those to functions in DCS.

As for programming in apps like Axis and Ohs, it's not difficult per se, especially if you have a bit of familiarity with concepts like variables and if/else. The first hurdle is you'll have to do a lot of digging through config files and using the MSFS dev mode to sniff out what variables and events do what.

For example maybe L:LIGHT_POTENTIOMETER_3 is the variable for the dial that controls instrument lighting.

Some developers are great at outlining what variables they use, others not so much. Fortunately it's getting easier to find help.

The 2nd hurdle is that flight sims in general seem heavily dependent on scripting in Reverse Polish Notation.

So instead of
2 + 3

It's written as
2 3 +

Seems simple but can get weird quick.
code:
(L:CIRCUIT_BREAKER4, Bool) 1 == if{ (>K:INSTRUMENT_LIGHTS, Percent Over 100) 0.5}
That will check that breaker #4 is pushed in and if so, will turn lights to 50%.

RPN is very fussy about formatting (white space is super important) and variable type. Troubleshooting can be maddening until you break your brain enough that it makes sense.

Rot fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 9, 2022

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Rot posted:

F18 throttle on the right??? IMMERSION RUINED!! :mad:

How do you like the omni throttle? I was thinking of getting a pair of Gladiator sticks, making some sort of mount system for my chair, and do me some hellacopterin'. I figured maybe the Omni would make a good collective but now that I think a bit harder it probably makes more sense to just go with two regulars.

How does the twist work? On the green axis or the red?

Twist is on the red, I don't really use the twist for anything but it works fine, better actually than on the stick on the left, though I think that's because the left stick was one of the first batch of NXTs and the right stick is one of the newer EVO versions. As far as right-hand non-GA throttles go, the Omni is the best way to go IMO. Setting it up as a throttle is as easy as detaching one spring on the inside and you can lock down the X-axis if you want to (I haven't bothered). The amount of buttons and hats it gives you is as good or better than most throttles, especially right-hand ones, and while I was worried it wouldn't be canted enough to really feel like a throttle it's actually really comfortable and natural to fly with.

Rot
Apr 18, 2005

Scruff McGruff posted:

Twist is on the red, I don't really use the twist for anything but it works fine, better actually than on the stick on the left, though I think that's because the left stick was one of the first batch of NXTs and the right stick is one of the newer EVO versions. As far as right-hand non-GA throttles go, the Omni is the best way to go IMO. Setting it up as a throttle is as easy as detaching one spring on the inside and you can lock down the X-axis if you want to (I haven't bothered). The amount of buttons and hats it gives you is as good or better than most throttles, especially right-hand ones, and while I was worried it wouldn't be canted enough to really feel like a throttle it's actually really comfortable and natural to fly with.

Oh that's good to know, thanks!

Maybe in the new year I'll find the time and cash to put together a simple helicopter set up. My idea is to make a quick release for the Alpha yoke, to get it out of the way, then I can still use the switches and midi controllers and such.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

That Works posted:

IIRC I tried that specific plugin but could never get it to work properly and ended up using a different MIDI-2-vJoy app so that the X-Touch shows up in DCS as another joystick and I can bind the buttons there.

I never actually managed to get the dials working the way they should. All the buttons were fine, but I could only ever get the dials to register as additional buttons (so a right twist was, say, button23, and left twist was button24) instead of as axis like they were supposed to. This sort of worked as long as the desired action had both an axis option and a hotkey up/down option but the keystroke detection could be hit or miss and not nearly fast enough to really feel good. Then I started having issues where the vJoy stuff would just drop out so DCS wouldn't see the device at all.

I ended up giving up on it and haven't gotten around to re-visiting it since, ended up just using my touchscreen monitor and Helios to adjust stuff like HUD/MFD brightness and radio/lock tone volume. I only use the X-Split for MSFS now because A&O worked no problem.

I will say that I am a pretty bad programmer so my issues could easily just be a bad config or missing some instruction somewhere.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Scruff McGruff posted:

IIRC I tried that specific plugin but could never get it to work properly and ended up using a different MIDI-2-vJoy app so that the X-Touch shows up in DCS as another joystick and I can bind the buttons there.

I never actually managed to get the dials working the way they should. All the buttons were fine, but I could only ever get the dials to register as additional buttons (so a right twist was, say, button23, and left twist was button24) instead of as axis like they were supposed to. This sort of worked as long as the desired action had both an axis option and a hotkey up/down option but the keystroke detection could be hit or miss and not nearly fast enough to really feel good. Then I started having issues where the vJoy stuff would just drop out so DCS wouldn't see the device at all.

I ended up giving up on it and haven't gotten around to re-visiting it since, ended up just using my touchscreen monitor and Helios to adjust stuff like HUD/MFD brightness and radio/lock tone volume. I only use the X-Split for MSFS now because A&O worked no problem.

I will say that I am a pretty bad programmer so my issues could easily just be a bad config or missing some instruction somewhere.

Thank you this is really good to know. It also outlines a lot of problems that I don’t even really think I want to tackle.

I might just go back to building a rotary dial button box instead .

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Lord Stimperor posted:

And if you're in VR the lack of a display doesn't matter.

Flight Sim Megathread: I'm finding excuses to buy this thing

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Shine posted:

Flight Sim Megathread: I'm finding excuses to buy this thing

It’s actually good that I build a new desk solely for flight sim. It’ll actually free up more room.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’ve been having a good experience with flight sim recently where I’ve resolved not to buy any new peripherals for it. I still don’t play with the peripherals I have, but at least I’m not buying new ones.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I'm having trouble with the default viewpoint in FS2020 always being off to the left. I'm using a 3 screen setup with two custom side monitor views, so I wonder if that's messed up the default eye point or something. It's especially worse in add-on planes like the PMDG 737 or Justflight Arrows. Once loaded in the starting point is outside the cockpit to the left and even after saving a custom camera setting it still goes off when I reset the view. I messed with a few camera.cfg files but didn't see any change. It's mainly a pain in VR since it's not as easy to line the view back up.

Just curious if anyone else has had this happen. I'll try disabling the side monitor windows and see if that makes it work again.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
When you say "reset view" you mean via the Ctrl+f10 command, right? Not just what the F key (by default) does.

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I think so. I just learned earlier about those binds. Whatever the default view point is when you first load in is the one that's putting me left of the cockpit. I'll try to grab some more info when on later.

Edit:
Figured it out. There's a setting in General - Cameras for horizontal position that somehow got set to 0. Putting it at 50 fixed the initial view to be back in the seat.
This post clued me in to it when I saw his camera settings: https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/correction-to-default-seat-height-pilot-camera-eyepoint-viewpoint/260680

AzureSkys fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

For the first time since the glory days of 2004, I've bought a gaming computer and a shiny new copy of FS2020 to go along with it. Much to my amazement, not only do the CH yoke and pedals I had with the last setup still work well, but they're still being produced and sold.

This seems to be less plug and play as the older games and way more complicated than FS2004 to start (e- I have an Instrument rating IRL), but I'm managing so far.

Are there any real airline livery mods that can be easily added to make AI Deltas Delta and Uniteds United? Also, is the E170/175 mod that just came out worth the $16.99? It seems like a steal compared to the CRJ-7/9/10 that's $50.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 15, 2022