Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i know you’re half joking but i’m really hoping the salary talk at the end of this doesn’t sink the whole thing

the big problem is that due to their size & fact that i’m the first person in this role being hired there isn’t any data at all on glassdoor for me to use. i was able to hold my ground on not saying a number with the first call with the external recruiter so she told me $currentSalary + 30%. it’s quite high in my opinion, especially for someone based in pittsburgh, not silicon valley. i feel like that’s already going to be the upper end of their range, and it’s a number that will enable me to be VERY comfortable. like straight up pay the rest of my mortgage in short order comfortable.

so yeah i’m thinking i may be on the ‘know when you’ve won’ side of the negotiation. granted this is going to have a bit of light sales sprinkled in as well so negotiating shouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing

I usually say always negotiate but if you've done a ton of research and are being paid well above market for any position in your area and this is a >$40K, 30%, better quality of life offer no shame in just saying yes. If it just sounds like a lot and you did a little googling and it seems top of range but youre not sure...negotiate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
your title was principal and prolly you'll be getting some cool kids title next

if you wanna feel justified in the material tc raise dont compare yourself to median sfba tc, compare yourself to 90th %ile sfba tc

https://www.levels.fyi/t/software-engineer/locations/san-francisco-bay-area

if this makes you feel like a douchebag consider any dependents you have and providing for them. if you dont have any, do you have like nephews or poo poo you can be rich uncle to

an important thing to learn in plute school: plute starts at $100 million nw

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 30, 2022

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

the time to feel guilty about asking for more money is when the organization you’re asking is worth less than you both in commodities and on paper

if you are not in the ownership class that is never the case. get that bag

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

oh there's no guilt here. it's just the usual shakes that i always get where asking for more could jeopardize the entire thing. it's bullshit ofc and i've told countless other people the reasons why but that doesn't stop my lizard brain from getting anxious when it's my turn

also interestingly:

bob dobbs is dead posted:

if you wanna feel justified in the material tc raise dont compare yourself to median sfba tc, compare yourself to 90th %ile sfba tc

https://www.levels.fyi/t/software-engineer/locations/san-francisco-bay-area

i'd always assumed i'd be under sfba median but if i land this at the rate offered by the external recruiter i'll actually be closer to the 75 than the 50. not bad for a yinzer lol

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

oh there's no guilt here. it's just the usual shakes that i always get where asking for more could jeopardize the entire thing. it's bullshit ofc and i've told countless other people the reasons why but that doesn't stop my lizard brain from getting anxious when it's my turn

also interestingly:

i'd always assumed i'd be under sfba median but if i land this at the rate offered by the external recruiter i'll actually be closer to the 75 than the 50. not bad for a yinzer lol

i remember you saying that you were making consultant figgies at prev job and your current job was a step up from that, so being in the 300+ range after this newjob bump makes some sense

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i know you’re half joking but i’m really hoping the salary talk at the end of this doesn’t sink the whole thing

the big problem is that due to their size & fact that i’m the first person in this role being hired there isn’t any data at all on glassdoor for me to use. i was able to hold my ground on not saying a number with the first call with the external recruiter so she told me $currentSalary + 30%. it’s quite high in my opinion, especially for someone based in pittsburgh, not silicon valley. i feel like that’s already going to be the upper end of their range, and it’s a number that will enable me to be VERY comfortable. like straight up pay the rest of my mortgage in short order comfortable.

so yeah i’m thinking i may be on the ‘know when you’ve won’ side of the negotiation. granted this is going to have a bit of light sales sprinkled in as well so negotiating shouldn’t necessarily be a bad thing

you'll know you've won when you've gone through negotiation and know you've gotten all they can offer; def don't just say yes to the first thing. esp since you'll be basically starting up a whole new division at this place; you are bringing a whole lot of knowledge and capability to their org. they should pay you for it. it sounds like you're worth more than a couple NCG engineers, so they should pay you more than a couple of those guys put together imo

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
just ran into a new one: a company reaches out to me directly, i say yeah let's talk, and they then refer me to a third-party recruiter who accepts my resume and then tells me that the company isn't interested. lol.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

raminasi posted:

just ran into a new one: a company reaches out to me directly, i say yeah let's talk, and they then refer me to a third-party recruiter who accepts my resume and then tells me that the company isn't interested. lol.

expect them to reach back out in 6 months once they get the entire hiring bonus for themselves instead of having to share it with the internal referrer

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Jabor posted:

expect them to reach back out in 6 months once they get the entire hiring bonus for themselves instead of having to share it with the internal referrer

maybe but it’d surprise me given that the third-party recruiter made it clear that in her eyes i was only qualified for roles that use my current main tech stack, as though software people can’t learn new things

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
i used to say that recruiters are comparable to fast food workers in ability. nowadays i tend to think this is an insult against fast food workers, they work hard

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

once a coworker gave my name to a recruiter absently mindedly and he's been calling me periodically for 5 years. i'd rather interact with the wendys drive through guy

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

the internal recruiter that was involved in onboarding me as a loving intern in 2007 hit me up a couple years ago on linkedin and wanted me to "introduce" him to my current company's HR/recruitment team

yeah sure buddy let me just fire off an email to "HR-all" with you in copy at my megacorp, talk about thirsty

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

the internal recruiter that was involved in onboarding me as a loving intern in 2007 hit me up a couple years ago on linkedin and wanted me to "introduce" him to my current company's HR/recruitment team

yeah sure buddy let me just fire off an email to "HR-all" with you in copy at my megacorp, talk about thirsty

they do this poo poo because it works. i've ghosted multiple recruiters trying to get me to do exactly that.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

How do you all make sure that you aren't shoehorned into a specific language or toolset? Does it just come down to working on projects during your free time?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

How do you all make sure that you aren't shoehorned into a specific language or toolset? Does it just come down to working on projects during your free time?

be comfortable lying on your resume and work on personal projects on company time

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

switch jobs frequently enough that you can never be pinned down

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Asleep Style posted:

switch jobs frequently enough that you can never be pinned down

or be siloed off into a devops or sre role

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

SLAM TIME
Very tired and just misread this thread level as “from entry level to catte” and feel ripped off now

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

:catte:
:powercatte:

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I had my first job interview for a Python/business intelligence position for a healthcare data company. He started by saying he was impressed by my resume, asking why I studied Python, etc. Two questions I answered negatively were that I didn't have experience with numpy or pandas, and while coding my personal projects, I didn't run into any optimization problems because I never got past "does it work?" and web scraping is limited by server response time. I had a few ideas on how to web scrape faster, though, but I hadn't implemented any of them. I coded it using only Python, and if I switch to Django, I'll be able to run scrapes of multiple websites at once. I cached all the requests using tens of thousands of separate files for some reason, and it might be more efficient to open a single file and search that, or I need to put them on an SSD. Anyway, when I said I couldn't remember, he said that was fine. He asked if I was open to learning data analysis and I said "definitely" and he said "that's what we like to see". He asked knew any languages aside from Python, I said HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and C++ but only basic procedural and OOP C++ syntax, not things like binary trees and linked lists. He asked what I used while web scraping, like if I used Selenium, I said I used it to scrape a Google Book for personal use, and I used BeautifulSoup. A lot of the time the data was directly in JSON, like they had an API or it was in the HTML source code. The interviewer was a programmer on the team. If I passed the interview, I'll be interviewed by the senior dev, and if I pass that, the next round is a coding challenge. There were about 45 other applicants. I got an email from the interviewer saying I didn't get the job about an hour and a half later. I thought about replying to thank him for letting me know (I would've spent all week obsessing over it, not that I would've said that out loud) but I feel 90% sure that would not be appropriate

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 2, 2022

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

part of it is that, part of it is focusing on knowing programming/language paradigms (oop, mvc, dynamic langs, whatever) in your resume. my experience is that once you're at the senior stage, people seem to just assume that you can pick up whatever language etc. they're doing pretty quickly. it's still possible to get a goober who's going to get mad that you're not writing your interview leetcodes in C# or whatever, but i at least didn't hit that. fwiw, i did every one of my whiteboard interviews in ruby, and none of the places i was interviewing were ruby shops. i did have to do a takehome in python, because it was one of those automated deals; for that I think it was two really simple python things (one of which took me too long 'cause I got tripped up by continue vs. next or something), an SQL thing (I actually knew/know how to write SQL queries) and a python graph traversal thing where I just made a big comment like "I can't code this in python in my remaining 20 minutes because I don't know python, but here's the algorithm in english" and they brought me to the onsite

it's also been like 4 years since i've interviewed; the market is likely tougher now so idk how much this helps

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
sql itself cannot be substituted, nor dom poo poo, nor ds&a poo poo. thats the rub, for languages there are alternatives but there is no real alternative to the web or to the idea of the db

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

BooLoo posted:

Very tired and just misread this thread level as “from entry level to catte” and feel ripped off now

“from entry level to catte”... that's the dream, though, isn't it?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Quackles posted:

“from entry level to catte”... that's the dream, though, isn't it?

catboy entertainment officer?

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

galenanorth posted:

I had my first job interview for a Python/business intelligence position for a healthcare data company. He started by saying he was impressed by my resume, asking why I studied Python, etc. Two questions I answered negatively were that I didn't have experience with numpy or pandas, and while coding my personal projects, I didn't run into any optimization problems because I never got past "does it work?" and web scraping is limited by server response time. I had a few ideas on how to web scrape faster, though, but I hadn't implemented any of them. I coded it using only Python, and if I switch to Django, I'll be able to run scrapes of multiple websites at once. I cached all the requests using tens of thousands of separate files for some reason, and it might be more efficient to open a single file and search that, or I need to put them on an SSD. Anyway, when I said I couldn't remember, he said that was fine. He asked if I was open to learning data analysis and I said "definitely" and he said "that's what we like to see". He asked knew any languages aside from Python, I said HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and C++ but only basic procedural and OOP C++ syntax, not things like binary trees and linked lists. He asked what I used while web scraping, like if I used Selenium, I said I used it to scrape a Google Book for personal use, and I used BeautifulSoup. A lot of the time the data was directly in JSON, like they had an API or it was in the HTML source code. The interviewer was a programmer on the team. If I passed the interview, I'll be interviewed by the senior dev, and if I pass that, the next round is a coding challenge. There were about 45 other applicants. I got an email from the interviewer saying I didn't get the job about an hour and a half later. I thought about replying to thank him for letting me know (I would've spent all week obsessing over it, not that I would've said that out loud) but I feel 90% sure that would not be appropriate

it would have been totally fine to thank him for letting you know but it also doesn't really matter that you didn't

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

the problem here is that HR and managers have often decided on their own that they need someone with very specific experience. you have to stumble upon ones that are looking more generally in the first place before you can even be concerned about shoehorning

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

it is basically only possible to get the right person into the job in spite of the hiring process

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Well that’s the first time I’ve been interviewed by a CEO and wow that was kind of intense. He was nice the whole time but the whole conversation always had a slight air of me wasting his time. No pleasantries or expanding on concepts- everything was always moving forward to the next point. He ended the call on a very positive note though so I think I’m good? We’ll find out soon

He definitely sold me on his vision for the company over the next year/five years, though. It’s kind of exciting to be possibly getting in on the ground floor of something and being solely responsible for a large part of that plan

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Well that’s the first time I’ve been interviewed by a CEO and wow that was kind of intense. He was nice the whole time but the whole conversation always had a slight air of me wasting his time. No pleasantries or expanding on concepts- everything was always moving forward to the next point. He ended the call on a very positive note though so I think I’m good? We’ll find out soon

He definitely sold me on his vision for the company over the next year/five years, though. It’s kind of exciting to be possibly getting in on the ground floor of something and being solely responsible for a large part of that plan

congrats on your new job at twitter

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

4lokos basilisk posted:

congrats on your new job at twitter

PIZZA.BAT posted:

He was nice the whole time
:thunk:

Kernel Sanders
Sep 15, 2020

champagne posting posted:

Even this seems excessive, I mean what do you learn from round 3 and the technical grill? . At least in Denmark if you hire someone you can very easily get of them inside the first couple of weeks so if they're awful you can just can them. I would recommend anyone who can to reject interviews that go through more than two rounds really. I mean what could you possibly learn from putting people on a grill that wont show up early in employment?

My most egregious example is a company in Copenhagen who wanted to subject me to seven rounds of interviewing for a full stack position. Told 'em no, not gonna spend that much of my free time on you have you lost your mind?

also not gonna miss an opportunity to post this https://leftalign.substack.com/p/are-tech-interviews-broken-or-is?s=w

the absolutely worst pants-on-head job I ever had took 7 interviews + drug test to get. it’s like there’s a correlation.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
ive got a first interview tomorrow with a startup for founding swe position, slated for 15min with the ceo. are the questions in the op still a good place to start?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

barkbell posted:

ive got a first interview tomorrow with a startup for founding swe position, slated for 15min with the ceo. are the questions in the op still a good place to start?

always

i've had some negative experience sometimes when asking about runway, so be ready to smile and say "great!" when ceo says they have six months of runway

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

champagne posting posted:

always

i've had some negative experience sometimes when asking about runway, so be ready to smile and say "great!" when ceo says they have six months of runway

i feel like if the startup gets testy about runway, then it’s not looking good at all

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
So just had the call with the CEO.

He dodged the question about disagreements saying you just need high EQ and disagreements happen every day. CEO and CTO _are_ the board. 14mo runway via a single pre-seed round and they have a couple 6 figure b2b contracts currently.

I dunno what to think this is the first time I've entertained an interview from an early-stage startup like this. My gut feeling is this is a bad idea in the current economy.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

barkbell posted:

So just had the call with the CEO.

He dodged the question about disagreements saying you just need high EQ and disagreements happen every day. CEO and CTO _are_ the board. 14mo runway via a single pre-seed round and they have a couple 6 figure b2b contracts currently.

I dunno what to think this is the first time I've entertained an interview from an early-stage startup like this. My gut feeling is this is a bad idea in the current economy.

If my own CEO is anything to go by he says that VCs are very shy right now and that the market for financing startups is about debt (as opposed to moonshot investments). Might be an idiot since I don’t know anything about this, but i survived a round of layoffs at current company and i’m gonna stay put for a while anyway.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
vcs have their own customers, the limited partners. these are uni endowments, national and state and other pension funds, really fuckin rich peeps (high net worth individuals hwni), etc who sign a contract to shove in a few millions, tens of millions, whatever.

the actual assets of these peeps are exposed to leverage sometimes because of direct leveraging (they borrowed that cash) but also in all cases because of oppty costs and yields in different poo poo ("wait low risk corp bonds pay 5% now why are we scraping for 5% yield from these dog poo poo vcs")

it is always in a venture capitalists interest to wait and procrastinate, and its always in founders interest to hurry everything the gently caress up. the economy is most of the time a great excuse but if they didnt have it they would go and get another one. but they gotta actually go and do the deals: this in no trivial part explains why vcs are that way, rational peeps often do not survive in vc

bob dobbs is dead fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Dec 5, 2022

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

barkbell posted:

have a couple 6 figure b2b contracts currently.

this is a fruitful avenue for misrepresentation. there is a material chance its like, trials they can back off at any time, letters of intent that dont mean anything, etc etc, unless you got serious unequivocal statements. what a b2b six figure deal is can be way more nebulous than you think, and this can be way worse (or way better lol given my weirdo pessimism) than it sounds

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

bob dobbs is dead posted:

this is a fruitful avenue for misrepresentation. there is a material chance its like, trials they can back off at any time, letters of intent that dont mean anything, etc etc, unless you got serious unequivocal statements. what a b2b six figure deal is can be way more nebulous than you think, and this can be way worse (or way better lol given my weirdo pessimism) than it sounds

the wording was "quarter million dollars in annual recurring revenue"

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
probably trustable then

but that means theyre completely beholden to 1 or 2 companies, if there are 6 figure deals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

PIZZA.BAT posted:

oh wow they just sent an offer letter over without any haggling over the phone first. nice!

turns out the external recruiter was talking *total* comp when she gave me the number, not base salary. the number they gave is still higher than what i'm making now but it's only a 6% raise. the bonus is waay better though, plus i'll probably actually be paid it instead of only getting half like i did with my current employer*. plus a fairly sizeable stock grant but i've learned to treat these like lottery tickets**

gonna see if i can haggle them up 20% and accept whatever they counter with

*and probably won't get any this year because our financial situation has only gotten worse

**nothing life changing. pay off the mortgage early and buy myself a bmw kind of money