Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Just bought an Alto Recorder... i am currently making "NOISE" with it, the neighbours will not be amused. :yeshaha:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Just Another Lurker posted:

Just bought an Alto Recorder... i am currently making "NOISE" with it, the neighbours will not be amused. :yeshaha:

About 4 or 5 years ago, I went to a recorder recital and there were all sorts of weird and wonderful recorders including one that had a really big box. Can't find a picture online.

I always fancied a duduk but apparently the cheapo ones aren't very good but I don't want to pay a lot of money for what is potentially a fad.

Absolutely beautiful sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_58AnhnbIgI

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 5, 2022

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
i will never find the word "wokery" anything other than entirely ridiculous. actual human beings say this poo poo and expect to be taken seriously. Wokery.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpjV962DLWs

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

About 4 or 5 years ago, I went to a recorder recital and there were all sorts of weird and wonderful recorders including one that had a really big box. Can't find a picture online.

The big box one is probably a Contrabass Recorder, the ones we all tried (and probably hated, like myself) in school were Soprano Recorders.

It's my xmas present (£23) to myself this year. :D

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

actual human beings say this poo poo and expect to be taken seriously.

Guavanaut posted:

I always call them knobkerries.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The big box one is probably a Contrabass Recorder, the ones we all tried (and probably hated, like myself) in school were Soprano Recorders.

It's my xmas present (£23) to myself this year. :D

It was more like this but the box at the bottom was bigger.

sub-sub-great bass

Here we go - pretty similar to this one:

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 5, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's a bandsaw.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

sub-sub-great bass

Shape depends on the maker and they can be adjusted/added to depending on the sound wanted (sort of plug & play i guess).

-------

He's playing Yamaha Alto like mine though his looks pricier.

Now i'll have to learn how to breathe correctly for this thing. lol

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3goxO-G9SM

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Looks like someone overengineered a guillotine after hearing a description of one in a loud pub

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The National Convention is installed on the bass of a democratic franchise. Its first action was to declare France a Republic.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I appreciate that this forum occasionally shows me a weird musical instrument that I was previously unaware of.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Angepain posted:

i never find the word "wokery" anything other than entirely ridiculous. actual human beings say this poo poo and expect to be taken seriously. Wokery.

I go to the wokery to purchase a wok. Ken Hom is a good lad

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

I appreciate that this forum occasionally shows me a weird musical instrument that I was previously unaware of.

This forum is educative in many dimensions. I have also learned a lot (some of which I might be better off not knowing - ahem).

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

This forum is educative in many dimensions. I have also learned a lot (some of which I might be better off not knowing - ahem).

we all have to find out how michael gove drinks water sooner or later

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I have learned so much from this thread and continue to do so.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Are those induction heater wok rings any good for wokery? That's my biggest worry about switching to induction.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
As long as your wok is magnetic they're fine, not as immediate as gas but you can always just lift it off the ring for a couple of seconds until it adjusts.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Woks are a bit weird with induction hobs. One bought from Wilko refused to heat up on any of the pads, so we took it back.

I bought one from ProCook which does work, but it's a fairly large wok and it only heats up on the smallest pad, the ones that you would think are the right size refuse to sense it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Electric in any form and a wok seems awful to me. Aren't they going to complain when you pick the wok up to toss the contents?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Woks and induction is funny, cos induction works on contact and woks are round. Except, most of the woks you can get in the UK are flat bottomed, for safety. Except the ones that aren't. But you do get induction hobs with a bit for a round bottomed wok, so basically it depends?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Isomermaid posted:

Woks and induction is funny, cos induction works on contact and woks are round. Except, most of the woks you can get in the UK are flat bottomed, for safety. Except the ones that aren't. But you do get induction hobs with a bit for a round bottomed wok, so basically it depends?

Round bottom woks they make the woking world go round

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
You could always just get one of those portable single burner hobs that all the cooking youtubers use these days.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Feels like "flat bottomed" was right there, but still :golfclap:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah the round bottom induction ones always seemed weird and expensive, but the wok rings claim to work with round and flat bottom on induction while allowing you to lift or shift the wok.

Obviously you'd lose some of the safety by having a hot shorted turn on top of the inductor, but hot bits that burn you are a permanent aspect of the current gas hob so I guess I'd just not touch the spicy bit while cooking?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Feels like "flat bottomed" was right there, but still :golfclap:

Flat bottomed grills

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

sub-sub-great bass

Here we go - pretty similar to this one:

You sure this isn't just an elaborate way to conceal a firearm?

No officer, I couldn't have shot him, this is just a recorder! *toot*

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*gets shot for recordering a police officer*

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I bought a book that's supposed to be Indian Violin Music For Amazingly White People but the more I looked into it the more I realized I would need an actual teacher because literally everything about it is completely different

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lol

https://twitter.com/isaby/status/1599687950618398720

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I bought a book that's supposed to be Indian Violin Music For Amazingly White People but the more I looked into it the more I realized I would need an actual teacher because literally everything about it is completely different

I shall use this as an excuse to post a Bloodywood video even though they don't play Indian violins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iKjSCTxke8

At least I know what one of the Indian languages for 'gently caress off traitor' is now.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Dec 5, 2022

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

Gandhi managed to play bread like a bowed instrument through developing his satyagraha methodology of nān violins.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
for gently caress's sake

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Sup new instrument buddy. My daughter asked for a guitar for Christmas and I've always wanted to learn too so I bought myself a cheap one so we can learn together.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Lungboy posted:

Sup new instrument buddy. My daughter asked for a guitar for Christmas and I've always wanted to learn too so I bought myself a cheap one so we can learn together.

That sounds like a wonderful thing to do together. :thumbsup:

I attempted guitar/ukulele last year but my hand flexibility sucked too much, recorder feels less vexing.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

What an absolute bwanker

https://twitter.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1599672982757994497

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Sir Keir, are you a member of any unions?
Yes, I'm affiliated with BOFA.
Which union is that?
BOFA deez sides of the debate, ayyyy *downs half a pint of whiskey, puts on sunglasses, and reverses into a cyclist*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/CreldBrumple/status/1599835318114394113?t=JPqJjPch5Zy_Uov1-ZYzJQ&s=19