Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I liked the crafting system in HFW at the beginning, when you collected stuff organically and it was more a choice between what weapon you wanted to upgrade with resources that weren't particularly limited, but at that moment you only had so many.

Later when, in order to upgrade something, you'd have to hunt some powerful robots expressly for the purpose of getting some materials, simply to upgrade something once, it became way more tedious and I started ignoring it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I might actually play the mass effect legendary edition when it drops on ps+ tomorrow.... rewrite my mass effect head cannon from grumpy single dad shep trying to corral his rambunctious kids crew to full renegade femshep????

Mass effect lovers, how is the legendary edition??

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

exquisite tea posted:

I don't really feel that way about Horizon's game systems. I think Guerrilla actually committed to their idea of creating a crunchy action RPG as it was first proposed in HZD (but not really in practice) and for the most part succeeded in making you have to explore different possibilities. And it's not in a totally superfluous way either where you can just ride out a single strategy to success or get Bow+2 that beats Bow+1, you do have to think a little bit intentionally about how to allocate skill points and create an approach with a variety of choices. I think it's pretty cool how by the end of the game you can mass shock trap the dinos for a billion damage, stealth stab them to death, machine gun them down at close range, or sic your permanent raptor pet on them from afar. And unlike the overtutorializing in other aspects of the game that people complain about constantly, these are mechanics not entirely explained that you can simply figure out for yourself over the course of playing the game, either through trial and error or your own creativity. If I have a critique it's that these various builds take a long time to really "come together" on a fresh save and the upgrade system makes it prohibitively expensive to switch tracks if you want to try something new. But I think they're well thought-out, diverse and fun, especially on NG+ when you have access to all of Aloy's outfits from the beginning.

This was precisely my experience with it, having to choose a bunch of options thoughtfully that would make Aloy well-rounded in FW was so much more fulfilling than the fluff of just upgrading Tearblast sharpshot bow in ZD and calling it a day.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

acksplode posted:

There are two or three crafting resources in GOWR that I can recognize, and only because they're necessary for fully upgrading my witch time elf armor, which I will likely use for the rest of the game. GOWR's crafting/build stuff sure seems like a lot of fake running-in-place depth that could stand to be streamlined.

This I agree with. It was out of place in GOW and it's still out of place in GOWR, whereas Forbidden West took the half-baked systems of Zero Dawn and really fleshed them out into something cool, something that fit the style of game.

Morpheus posted:

Later when, in order to upgrade something, you'd have to hunt some powerful robots expressly for the purpose of getting some materials, simply to upgrade something once, it became way more tedious and I started ignoring it.

Horizon has always had some Monster Hunter DNA to be sure

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

fridge corn posted:

Could I possibly play the witcher 3.... again????

I mean, I'm not saying I'll play all of it but... could happen?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

fridge corn posted:

Could I possibly play the witcher 3.... again????

You could play Fortnite aka Witcher 4

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

fridge corn posted:

I might actually play the mass effect legendary edition when it drops on ps+ tomorrow.... rewrite my mass effect head cannon from grumpy single dad shep trying to corral his rambunctious kids crew to full renegade femshep????

it's alright. the first game is the only one with significant updates though honestly i'd rather play it warts-and-all even if the changes are for the best

also you can't pick and choose which DLC is active or inactive but this is mainly a problem for weirdos like me who consider the "extended cut" ending to be loving horrible and actually even worse than the endings on release

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The extended cut is so weird. There's stuff that should absolutely have been in the game at launch, but most of it's just completely baffling or insulting. Shooting the kid (which I did my first time because I thought some YouTube videos about it were funny) leading to the "everyone dies, the next cycle did what you refused to" ending is just a massive temper tantrum on the part of the devs lmao

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

fridge corn posted:

Oh god that’s tomorrow??? So many Big Games right now :vince:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Arist posted:

The extended cut is so weird. There's stuff that should absolutely have been in the game at launch, but most of it's just completely baffling or insulting. Shooting the kid (which I did my first time because I thought some YouTube videos about it were funny) leading to the "everyone dies, the next cycle did what you refused to" ending is just a massive temper tantrum on the part of the devs lmao

i dont think it is it's just a contextual way to refuse

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i dont think it is it's just a contextual way to refuse

I'm thinking about it in the broader context of there being a million videos of frustrated players doing that before the extended cut and it not being in the original version

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Arist posted:

I'm thinking about it in the broader context of there being a million videos of frustrated players doing that before the extended cut and it not being in the original version

i think the EC added the choice to do nothing though and also i just get weirded out at claims that specific things people dont like in games are direct insults from the developer to them which happened a lot in ME3 discourse

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

i feel like this is acknowledgement that elden ring may be a bit of an outlier, that future FROM titles will return to the more focused variety

or maybe it's just miyazaki's way of sheepishly avoiding interviews :sweatdrop:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

mcbexx posted:

Yay, I got a PS5 (well, an order confirmation, let's see if it actually ships before getting too excited) from the Sony Direct invite. Bought it for a friend basically, because he skipped the PS4, I got a PS4 Pro and I'd prefer to get the inevitable PS5 Pro sometime later (also, the only PS5 games I'm interested right now are getting PC ports eventually).

Since Game Sharing seems to be a bit finicky between PS4 and PS5 (needing to make one your primary console) and sharing between PS5 accounts seems to be easier from what I gathered by googling, could I create both of our accounts on the PS5 (it'll get shipped to me and my friend will pick it up on the weekend) and enable sharing between them with just one PS5 and logging in between accounts?

I have a bunch of digital PS4 games he has been missing out on, so that would keep him busy over the holidays. Would he be able to access my PS+ games as well or would he require his own subscription?

I don't know the answer to any of that, but if your buddy gets PS+, and owns a PS5, he automatically gets the PS plus collection, which has a bunch of PS4 games:

quote:

From Worldwide Studios:

Bloodborne
Days Gone
Detroit: Become Human
God of War
Infamous Second Son
Ratchet and Clank
The Last Guardian
The Last of Us Remastered
Until Dawn
Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End

From our third-party publishers and developers:

Batman: Arkham Knight
Battlefield 1
Call of Duty: Black Ops III – Zombies Chronicles Edition
Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
Fallout 4
Final Fantasy XV Royal Edition
Monster Hunter: World
Mortal Kombat X
Persona 5
Resident Evil 7 biohazard

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think the EC added the choice to do nothing though and also i just get weirded out at claims that specific things people dont like in games are direct insults from the developer to them which happened a lot in ME3 discourse

At the same time the only reason the ME3 extended cut exists at all is that Bioware decided to put fan views front and center while making a DLC, so they were presumably evaluating everything they did through that lens and you've got to wonder about anything that made it through that and still ended up widely hated

I'm not saying it is literally an intentional insult, just that in this context it's more plausible than most others

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

haveblue posted:

At the same time the only reason the ME3 extended cut exists at all is that Bioware decided to put fan views front and center while making a DLC, so they were presumably evaluating everything they did through that lens and you've got to wonder about anything that made it through that and still ended up widely hated

I'm not saying it is literally an intentional insult, just that in this context it's more plausible than most others

that makes it much less plausible that it was intentionally meant as an insult to the fans than anything else

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Started playing Ghost of ShuShuma. Went with lethal difficulty cause that seemed like itd make the game kinda like an open-world Bushido Blade. So far, its been going pretty smoothly. Ive died a bunch but enemies seem to be pretty weak as well so I just need to hit em fast and not get bogged down. I noticed that I can increase my max health and wear armor. Will any of that actually help me since everything is so lethal?

Also, took a glance at the multiplayer mode. It seems really neat, but I wonder if ppl are still playing it.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Some of the armours have mechanics changes like the set that can extend your kill chain in the face off things which are the best part of the game

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

haveblue posted:

Right. The Extended Cut is inherently a reaction to the criticisms of the original ending, it can't properly be taken out of that context. I don't like accusing creators of trying to directly insult their audiences either (and I'm not even sure I actually believe it here), this is just a weird case. Shooting the kid already had the "perfect" response in the original game: nothing. When I say "perfect" here, I'm talking purely as a mechanism to get you to engage with the ending as the creators seem to want you to. They don't want you to do it, so nothing happens when you do it. But changing that one, fairly widespread expression of player frustration into basically a failure cutscene that gives you what is pretty near-objectively the least compelling version of the ending where everyone dies for no reason and the next generation does what you wouldn't feels really petty. I can't know what they were thinking when they put it in, but I find it hard to believe they were unaware people were shooting the kid. At best, they wanted people to stop shooting him, so they made it a fail state... which just wastes the player's time.

Adding that, no matter what they were going for, just comes off as incredibly defensive to me. It doesn't need to be intentional, it's insulting. And yes, granted, you can get that scene another way, but at least there it's something you directly choose.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

i feel like this is acknowledgement that elden ring may be a bit of an outlier, that future FROM titles will return to the more focused variety

Good. Elden ring is fantastic but I really appreciate when FROM really focuses on their level design.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The ME3 endings were awful and the cap to a really mediocre game. If the multiplayer wasn't so fun that game would have been a total waste of time.

Oscar Wild posted:

Good. Elden ring is fantastic but I really appreciate when FROM really focuses on their level design.

I agree with this. I liked Elden Ring but its open world did absolute nothing for me but the dungeons they crafted were incredible and probably the best they've made.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I’ve played a lot of incredible games this year. Decided maybe it was time for a bad one as a palate cleanser. AC:V leaves PS+ on Dec 20th so I fired it up last night.

History Comes Inside! posted:

I don’t find it boring but I do find it annoying as gently caress when you’re just trying to get from A to B but your dude insists on leaping and clinging to any surface in reach along the way.

Just trying to get off my boat in AC:V was an exercise in my little Viking guy flipping a coin as to whether or not we were going to actually get off the boat or jump up and hang off the prow.

This is my exact experience so far lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Oscar Wild posted:

Yeah, I agree. Elden Ring is an extremely ambitious experiment overall, but there were parts of its layout/progression balance that veered uncomfortably close to formulaic, or how do I put it...algorithmic, rather than what felt like the idiosyncratic hand-made vibe of their other games.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I never played Mass Effect 3 before the legendary edition was released but its...fine. With the DLC it basically feels like a finished game (unlike ME2 which feels way too bloated with all the DLC) and the ending is sort of baffling but its not like Bioshock Infinite bad, just...confused.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i still maintain the additions made it much worse

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Hyped to finally experience ME3 knowing very little at all about it. It’s gonna be great revisiting 1 and 2 too. It’s been so long since I played them and I never beat 2 somehow.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Did 3 keep the bad ammo system

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Phenotype posted:

What build making was in Control? I think I had every single upgrade I would ever use by 2/3 of the way through the game.

Control had weapon mods that randomly drop from defeated enemies or are found in chests. The mods are things like +30% damage.

You can deconstruct mods into a currency at any time via your menu but you have a limited capacity for mods and if you are full you would just leave them on the ground.

The issue is that you could find a 30 damage mod along with a 27 damage mod and a 32 damage mod along with a bunch of more common mods that do the exact same thing but with smaller numbers. Once you are at the point of the game where small damage mods are useless compared to big damage mods you still pick them up and you still have to go into your inventory to deconstruct them.

There's a point in the game where you are jumping into a menu after every few fights just to dump all your extra garbage common mods and becoming paranoid that you missed a good one because you had no room.

Horizon has the same issue with you ending up with a bunch of mods that do the exact same thing just in different amounts. And there's no reason for a low modification to exist when you already have a couple higher ones. Horizon has a larger mod inventory and mods are not dropped quite so commonly so it's not as much of an issue but it's still there.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

fridge corn posted:

Reminder that renegade shep can get uncomfortably evil, especially in ME1

BGrifter posted:

I’ve played a lot of incredible games this year. Decided maybe it was time for a bad one as a palate cleanser. AC:V leaves PS+ on Dec 20th so I fired it up last night.

Warning, it’s a long rear end game.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

kzin602 posted:

Control had weapon mods that randomly drop from defeated enemies or are found in chests. The mods are things like +30% damage.

You can deconstruct mods into a currency at any time via your menu but you have a limited capacity for mods and if you are full you would just leave them on the ground.

The issue is that you could find a 30 damage mod along with a 27 damage mod and a 32 damage mod along with a bunch of more common mods that do the exact same thing but with smaller numbers. Once you are at the point of the game where small damage mods are useless compared to big damage mods you still pick them up and you still have to go into your inventory to deconstruct them.

There's a point in the game where you are jumping into a menu after every few fights just to dump all your extra garbage common mods and becoming paranoid that you missed a good one because you had no room.

Horizon has the same issue with you ending up with a bunch of mods that do the exact same thing just in different amounts. And there's no reason for a low modification to exist when you already have a couple higher ones. Horizon has a larger mod inventory and mods are not dropped quite so commonly so it's not as much of an issue but it's still there.

Why don’t devs make deconstruction of these mods available via a weapon wheel or something? Didn’t TLoU do this or am I making that up?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's wouldn't even be hard to check the player's inventory and if the mod is already there but with a bigger or equal number, just drop currency instead. Especially when it's totally linear values. It's not like Diablo or something where the mods are multivariable and determining their potency is based on outside factors the game doesn't know.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
just as an example it was amazing how much more fun cyberpunk was as a game on NG+ where i wasnt pushed into giving a poo poo about leveling, loot quality, or basically anything except using the gun that was the most cool looking

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I think it means that he'll do what he wants. If From makes Elden Ring 2 it'll be because he wants to make it, not because the market dictates that will be the optimal financial outcome.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Feels Villeneuve posted:

just as an example it was amazing how much more fun cyberpunk was as a game on NG+ where i wasnt pushed into giving a poo poo about leveling, loot quality, or basically anything except using the gun that was the most cool looking

the pick up and equip function was easier and more fun than trying to look at the inventory or look at dps numbers. It was fun just non-stop swapping weapons and getting a new gun every minute mid-combat, anything to do with the menus was butt with the controller.

Using cool weapons is fun, which, circling back to Horizon, makes the cost of ammo crafting lame. I got this disc throwing weapon but I can’t use it because I don’t have enough ‘blast paste’, which is a material that’s reasonably rare, and a little expensive to just stock up on and is used to make other explosives, like the cool rocket spear. So in the early game I just use the standard bow since it costs 1 wood and 1 money while all the other stuff just sits there.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

MechaSeinfeld posted:

Using cool weapons is fun, which, circling back to Horizon, makes the cost of ammo crafting lame. I got this disc throwing weapon but I can’t use it because I don’t have enough ‘blast paste’, which is a material that’s reasonably rare, and a little expensive to just stock up on and is used to make other explosives, like the cool rocket spear. So in the early game I just use the standard bow since it costs 1 wood and 1 money while all the other stuff just sits there.

The more I think about it, the more I feel that very few games ought to have ammo limits at all. Balance the general purpose weapons around clip size and reload times while putting a cooldown on the real heavy hitters. Otherwise it's like, hold up, gotta go down this obvious dead-end and open two drawers so I can shoot the next couple trash enemies with something other than my lovely sidearm (which of course has a uniquely bottomless ammo supply)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Volte posted:

I think it means that he'll do what he wants. If From makes Elden Ring 2 it'll be because he wants to make it, not because the market dictates that will be the optimal financial outcome.

That's also a very possible read. His evasiveness is custom.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's been decades and I'm still mad at Half Life 2 "balancing" the guns by making the fun guns have extremely low ammo caps and pushing you into using the lovely feeling SMG as your standard gun

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Mass Effect 3 slaps imo, it has the best combat and some really high points in the story. Some low points too, but also Javik and the Citadel dlc are awesome.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

man nurse posted:

Mass Effect 3 slaps imo, it has the best combat and some really high points in the story. Some low points too, but also Javik and the Citadel dlc are awesome.

That's what made the ending so uniquely frustrating; they still kept the choice and had some really good downbeat or upbeat resolutions if that's what you wanted.

If Mass Effect 3 had been a total disaster from front-to-back then it wouldn't have inspired the rancor that it did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Miyazaki's full quote was something like "I don't understand why Elden Ring was so popular, so I couldn't reproduce its success if I tried. So, I'll just keep making the games I like the way I have been." It didn't really seem to give any insight into the scope or type of upcoming games. Just that he's going to keep making the games that interest him.

I don't think From would make anything on the scale of ER next though. ER was made by using assets and systems from 10 years of Souls games. Making that much content from scratch wouldn't be as cost effective or realistic for their studio, and I don't think just using the ER stuff a second time would go over well. Maybe they'll build up to another massive open world after accumulating another decade worth of animations and systems to serve as a capstone again, that would be cool.