Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

I feel like i would inflict psychic damage on myself to read this guy’s other tweets for context

What is his idea, that it bred/encouraged flippy vanilla midgets or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

rotinaj posted:

I feel like i would inflict psychic damage on myself to read this guy’s other tweets for context

What is his idea, that it bred/encouraged flippy vanilla midgets or something?

After a search for "RoH" from that account, I scrolled through months of posts bemoaning RoH on AEW, crowing that the ratings drip when RoH is on the TV, hoping Tony Kahn will foresake the experiment, I found this at the very start. "Cause ROH convinced an entire generation that the only thing that matters is in ring work and you see the result of that. It's a reason why folks like Roman and MJF is ahead of everyone else and not workers like Roddy strong and Claudio"
So not just flippy guys - just workers in general.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
"ROH ruined wrestling on par with Chris Benoit because people there worked hard" may have gotten in right under the wire as the most bonkers take of 2022.

Still 4 weeks left, internet. Whatcha got.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr. Squishy posted:

After a search for "RoH" from that account, I scrolled through months of posts bemoaning RoH on AEW, crowing that the ratings drip when RoH is on the TV, hoping Tony Kahn will foresake the experiment, I found this at the very start. "Cause ROH convinced an entire generation that the only thing that matters is in ring work and you see the result of that. It's a reason why folks like Roman and MJF is ahead of everyone else and not workers like Roddy strong and Claudio"

That’s a heck of a take, when all he had to say was “i like promoes and entrances only”

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

rotinaj posted:

That’s a heck of a take, when all he had to say was “i like promoes and entrances only”

I mean there's genuinely an entire subset of wrestling fans who unironically say that "Wrestling is the least important part of Wrestling"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr. Squishy posted:

Thank you for explaining that. I'm now dumber for knowing it, but I do thank you.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Bonk posted:

"ROH ruined wrestling on par with Chris Benoit because people there worked hard" may have gotten in right under the wire as the most bonkers take of 2022.

Still 4 weeks left, internet. Whatcha got.

I'm still dealing with that time Alfred referred to AEW fans as yakubians and never walked it back made all the more prominent with Kanye's recency.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

In ring work ruined wrestling dammit!

this kid is nuts
Mar 30, 2016
I want to see the show these fans want so bad, where all of it is just guys talking on microphones in a ring. Just a bunch of guys who stand in a ring and talk about how they're going to wrestle another guy and it never actually happens. Like a wrestling Samuel Beckett play

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I don't understand why they don't just watch TV shows

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
I love how GCW will RT whatever positive things people quote tweet their announcement with but this one made me chuckle.

https://twitter.com/BamSullivan/status/1599148043890106368

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

your friend wicka posted:

I don't understand why they don't just watch TV shows

They do it’s just their favourite one keeps getting interrupted by people wrestling

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

this kid is nuts posted:

I want to see the show these fans want so bad, where all of it is just guys talking on microphones in a ring. Just a bunch of guys who stand in a ring and talk about how they're going to wrestle another guy and it never actually happens. Like a wrestling Samuel Beckett play

The wrestling episode of South Park.

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

Bam rules

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

promotions as ranked by cagematch user Zo-Zu

On DDT
[1.0] "I don't get it. I REALLY don't get it. You can't tell us this is all a work and a goof and that the stakes don't matter and then try to make us care about matches afterwards. It doesn't work. You don't splice Wile E. Coyote and The Road Runner into No Country For Old Men and expect it to pan out either. Maybe it's cultural, but this is trash. It's not funny, it's not creative and what good wrestling there is is wasted on gimmickry and booking decisions. Hard pass."

On Chikara
2.0 "There's an air of insecurity clinging to Chikara, whose in-ring work is largely pedestrian at best. The booking decisions, the angles, the gimmicks and the general presence of it reeks of New Generation WWF, but made inexplicably even worse by an air of smugness and pop culture oversaturation that clings to it. It could only have been born in the internet age, and like millions of marks around the world, it thinks that subsuming its whole identity into its favourite anime and video games is a passable enough attempt at a personality. It isn't. And when Chikara aren't being patently insulting in the name of comedy, they're putting on sad, lumbering, awkward play-wrestling matches to crowds who will mark out to anything. Dreadful promotion."

on PWG
4.0 PWG is solely responsible for tipping the balance of American indies away from providing a legitimate and authentic alternative to the anodyne WWE and TNA products and into high gimmickry, overabundance of spots and a cheeky, cynical toying with kayfabe that borders on the obnoxious. In 2019 they are the same as they ever were, but the spawn they have influenced have now lapped them. Too bad.

on The WWE
4.0 Were it not buoyed by a rich history with some genuinely pretty good matches, and a genuinely quite good development program, it would be hard to find nice things to say about the current WWE product, legitimately amongst the worst products in wrestling today. If you find that your stomach doesn't turn at the insulting and ridiculous rebranding of wrestling as " sports entertainment" and wrestlers as " superstars" , you may just be able to digest anything. And maybe that includes pitiful, weak and undercooked matches, bizarre and schizophrenic booking decisions and open contempt for the larger audience. WWE in 2019 is a shambles which, for all its scope, budget and oversaturated air time, can't overcome its own egomania. A cancerous presence in the industry and not remotely deserving of its attention.

On Impact
8.0 just a raiting

on SMW
10.0 The short lived SMW was a sentiment so noble and of such warmth and genuineness that it could bring a tear to the eye. Sadly, it was not to be. Cornette's vision for what pro-wrestling is and should be (not all that different from mine) was simply incompatible in the nascent era of sports entertainment, and against the juggernaut size of WWF and WCW or the audacious spectacle of ECW it couldn't compete. The time is right for a revitalisation, with broadcasting easier than ever, the style SMW perfected is needed in wrestling now more than ever.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

It's true, the company that created the Ippon Lighttube match, & street wrestling in places like campsites & swimming pools & an empty Tokyo Dome, not creative.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Which was the anime or video game with the lucha ants, and the ice creams?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Suplex Liberace posted:

promotions as ranked by cagematch user Zo-Zu

On DDT
[1.0] "I don't get it. I REALLY don't get it. You can't tell us this is all a work and a goof and that the stakes don't matter and then try to make us care about matches afterwards. It doesn't work. You don't splice Wile E. Coyote and The Road Runner into No Country For Old Men and expect it to pan out either. Maybe it's cultural, but this is trash. It's not funny, it's not creative and what good wrestling there is is wasted on gimmickry and booking decisions. Hard pass."

On Chikara
2.0 "There's an air of insecurity clinging to Chikara, whose in-ring work is largely pedestrian at best. The booking decisions, the angles, the gimmicks and the general presence of it reeks of New Generation WWF, but made inexplicably even worse by an air of smugness and pop culture oversaturation that clings to it. It could only have been born in the internet age, and like millions of marks around the world, it thinks that subsuming its whole identity into its favourite anime and video games is a passable enough attempt at a personality. It isn't. And when Chikara aren't being patently insulting in the name of comedy, they're putting on sad, lumbering, awkward play-wrestling matches to crowds who will mark out to anything. Dreadful promotion."

on PWG
4.0 PWG is solely responsible for tipping the balance of American indies away from providing a legitimate and authentic alternative to the anodyne WWE and TNA products and into high gimmickry, overabundance of spots and a cheeky, cynical toying with kayfabe that borders on the obnoxious. In 2019 they are the same as they ever were, but the spawn they have influenced have now lapped them. Too bad.

on The WWE
4.0 Were it not buoyed by a rich history with some genuinely pretty good matches, and a genuinely quite good development program, it would be hard to find nice things to say about the current WWE product, legitimately amongst the worst products in wrestling today. If you find that your stomach doesn't turn at the insulting and ridiculous rebranding of wrestling as " sports entertainment" and wrestlers as " superstars" , you may just be able to digest anything. And maybe that includes pitiful, weak and undercooked matches, bizarre and schizophrenic booking decisions and open contempt for the larger audience. WWE in 2019 is a shambles which, for all its scope, budget and oversaturated air time, can't overcome its own egomania. A cancerous presence in the industry and not remotely deserving of its attention.

On Impact
8.0 just a raiting

on SMW
10.0 The short lived SMW was a sentiment so noble and of such warmth and genuineness that it could bring a tear to the eye. Sadly, it was not to be. Cornette's vision for what pro-wrestling is and should be (not all that different from mine) was simply incompatible in the nascent era of sports entertainment, and against the juggernaut size of WWF and WCW or the audacious spectacle of ECW it couldn't compete. The time is right for a revitalisation, with broadcasting easier than ever, the style SMW perfected is needed in wrestling now more than ever.

Punch Sport Pagoda > The Chris Regal Memorial Thread: 8.0 just a raiting

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The CHIKARA review reminded me of these tweets from last night which are good tweets but related so I will post them here.

https://twitter.com/PharrFromHeaven/status/1599981090726289408

Someone else from I believe the same show posted clips of a kid flipping off some rudo as the rudo swore at him. It could have been another show though!

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

the further coddling of the american child :freep: bring rear end biting to the children of america

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Lance Storm officially belongs in this thread now.

https://twitter.com/WONF4W/status/1600252528251531264

Beyond it being explicit on the show (Hangman responded to Mox's challenge, Mox was a huge dick about concussing him, they fought) why there is an issue, in pro wrestling accidental injuries are very frequently made into big grudges. Bruno Sammartino was rushed back after Stan Hansen broke his neck on a botched body slam. Chris Benoit got the Crippler nickname because of a botch!

Also it seems kind of unhealthy that this weighs on his mind so much.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 7, 2022

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

He's very very stupid

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

More gaslighting from The Podcasters, I’d expect nothing less

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

MassRafTer posted:

Lance Storm officially belongs in this thread now.

https://twitter.com/WONF4W/status/1600252528251531264

Beyond it being explicit on the show (Hangman responded to Mox's challenge, Mox was a huge dick about concussing him, they fought) why there is an issue, in pro wrestling accidental injuries are very frequently made into big grudges. Bruno Sammartino was rushed back after Stan Hansen broke his neck on a botched body slam. Chris Benoit got the Crippler nickname because of a botch!

Also it seems kind of unhealthy that this weighs on his mind so much.

This is like the peak of wrestling brain that drives me nuts. His entire problem is that the segment didn't follow rules he made up in his head about wrestling. It entirely works in kayfabe if you just don't have a made up rule in your head that one babyface can't be mad at another for beating him in a match. Wrestlers have always gotten heated in kayfabe if they lose by ref stoppage. Mox literally called out that no one was on his level and the guy who lost because of a freak accident instead of being pinned stepped out to challenge him! It makes perfect sense.

He's been getting worse and worse at starting with a conclusion and working to the reason.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
Lance is bordering on Disco/Dutch territory

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

is lance working for impact wrestlinmg? he shouldn't be on there at all. he's not qualified to podcast.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Cavauro posted:

is lance working for impact wrestlinmg? he shouldn't be on there at all. he's not qualified to podcast.

His insight was spiraling before he got the Impact job but it really plummeted afterwards.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lance has always been dumb as poo poo. You all thought the libraries thing was an exception not the rule.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

flashy_mcflash posted:

Lance has always been dumb as poo poo. You all thought the libraries thing was an exception not the rule.

the libraries tweet is dril-tier

https://twitter.com/lancestorm/status/376823017860366336

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

it was kind of heartwarming the way he learned about libraries from the tweet though

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

This is an edit, right?

...right?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Vandar posted:

This is an edit, right?

...right?

Nope!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

:negative:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Life comes at you fast

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

those comics cost practically nothing, compared to the comics in the shops. i think i'll stick with those and save some money

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Have you ever tried masturbating in a book store? Ewww.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gumball Gumption posted:

This is like the peak of wrestling brain that drives me nuts. His entire problem is that the segment didn't follow rules he made up in his head about wrestling. It entirely works in kayfabe if you just don't have a made up rule in your head that one babyface can't be mad at another for beating him in a match. Wrestlers have always gotten heated in kayfabe if they lose by ref stoppage. Mox literally called out that no one was on his level and the guy who lost because of a freak accident instead of being pinned stepped out to challenge him! It makes perfect sense.

He's been getting worse and worse at starting with a conclusion and working to the reason.

The WWE fans in the comments are even worse, arguing that hangman should be sad and embarrassed and even humiliated that he got beat

As opposed to the concussion only making hangman have more he needs to prove, especially after that "I am a man" promo

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Worrying about how this kid is aging.

https://twitter.com/SeanCarlucci/status/945418850874658823

https://twitter.com/SeanCarlucci/status/1473728921422249991

https://twitter.com/SeanCarlucci/status/1600511606462578690

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~