Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What do you think of the new international distribution deal?
This poll is closed.
Hate it 12 16.90%
REALLY hate it 16 22.54%
Hello, my name is Bob Chapek 43 60.56%
Total: 71 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
DW could’ve had a full series in 2009 if Tennant wanted it; it wasn’t until midway through Matt’s second that budget overruns started to be a massive thing that they had to do slip to “a new bunch of episodes roughly every eighteen months”.

The announcement at the NTA that David was stepping down was the biggest chad poo poo I’ve ever seen, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Yeah it seems like RTD did an ok job with the books side of it - the series got all wonky under Moffat's tenure. IIRC his pitch for splitting the series was "well now we get to have EVEN MORE DRAMATIC cliffhangers." lol

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Right, the only reason the year of specials was that way was that Tennant was off doing plays and stuff. The BBC side was fully prepared for a full season.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Dabir posted:

Right, the only reason the year of specials was that way was that Tennant was off doing plays and stuff. The BBC side was fully prepared for a full season.

RTD talks about that in the Writers Tale, having the show cool off a bit allowed it to come back as an event.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Well I sure am glad we all have to wait a whole goddamn year for more Doctor Who just so it's on the 60th

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Big Finish's version, with it implying that Susan got killed in the Time War is fine. Messing out with explaining Susan's nature, or regenerating her just seems like a mistake. Having the character be a painful, distant memory that drives the Doctor on works fine. I like the bit in Nightshade where 7 tells Ace that he thinks about Susan every day, but eventually stands by his decision. :unsmith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh yeah, I'd be more than happy to leave Susan exactly as the show left her, I'm just considering other ways to salvage that Timeless Child bullshit.

In the end, perhaps the method that Chibnall himself came up with is the best: the Doctor dumps the whole thing in the garbage and never speaks, references or thinks about it ever again.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i want the Doctor to vocally dismiss the entire concept as absolute bollocks in every single new Who episode going forward for the next 60 years.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

I'm just considering other ways to salvage that Timeless Child bullshit.

Just double down on Time Lords Are EVILLLLLLLLLL

Choose your poison
- Fugitive Doctor is a clone of the Doctor, hence "Same brain"
- Fugitive Doctor is a future incarnation of the Master, hence why they have no qualms with using weapons, who still draws from memories that were once in the Doctors body.
- Timeless Child still occurs, they're just false memories implanted in the Doctor via Chameleon Arch fuckery while they were trying to research the history of the timelords
- "We collapsed a parrallel universe entirely, that's why your memories got all hosed up and why you can regenerate past 12 times. You've seen the life of that universes Doctor"
- "You've hosed around with the TIme Vortex one too many times, and your memories get intertwined with our progenitor. Now you know our secret, prepare to die"

The harder one to unfuck is Cyberlords, and the Master murdering all the Time Lords off screen.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Infinitum posted:

The harder one to unfuck is Cyberlords, and the Master murdering all the Time Lords off screen.

Romana: Oh that? Yeah he just loving lied.
Doctor: But that's... well yeah that's pretty in character.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I mean, the Doctor DID go back to Gallifrey, and there were no Time Lords there.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
he looked for like 15 minutes when everyone was out on a picnic

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
they can restore a backup from the stasis cube or something

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

I mean, the Doctor DID go back to Gallifrey, and there were no Time Lords there.

Romana: We were at a very bitter, recrimination-filled arbitration meting with Rassilon. Believe me, most of us WISHED we were dead by the time it was over. So did Borusa, but I mean, that's understandable...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He destroyed one of the Nine Gallifreys made during the Time War as decoys for the Daleks.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Also we saw the Fugitive Doctor’s Time Lord handler so they still exist in the past, it’s not like the Time War where they were gone from all of time and space. Just go back a few days before and tell them to hide.

I don’t think it’ll happen under RTD’s watch since he never seemed to have much use for the Time Lords and is probably fine with them being gone again, but it’s easily fixed.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

He destroyed one of the Nine Gallifreys made during the Time War as decoys for the Daleks.

:hmmyes:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"We used real Time Lord corpses to heighten the believability, cause we're evil"

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

I just imagined Gallifrey had been wiped out by some sinister malevolence and the Master just happened across the aftermath. And of course instead of trying to find out who did it or the implications, he just decided to claim credit for it and try to use it to dick over the Doctor with a recovered Matrix slice he could mess with.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Just do a Modified 6B Theory: Two basically gets strong-armed into working for the CIA, and then at some point after Two Doctors, he has to regenerate into Fugitive for reasons unknown.

She does more dirty work for the CIA before the first fight against the Sugar Skull Gang. There she finds out some poo poo she shouldn’t have, tries to bail for a bunch of time before she gets found and then is forced to regenerate into Three, with the Time Lords being like “well if you like Earth so much why don’t you just stay there”.

Also fixes up the plot-hole with Fugitive having the blue box before stealing the faulty TARDIS.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

TinTower posted:

Just do a Modified 6B Theory: Two basically gets strong-armed into working for the CIA, and then at some point after Two Doctors, he has to regenerate into Fugitive for reasons unknown.

She does more dirty work for the CIA before the first fight against the Sugar Skull Gang. There she finds out some poo poo she shouldn’t have, tries to bail for a bunch of time before she gets found and then is forced to regenerate into Three, with the Time Lords being like “well if you like Earth so much why don’t you just stay there”.

Also fixes up the plot-hole with Fugitive having the blue box before stealing the faulty TARDIS.

I feel like Russel T. Davies probably won't go for something that draws so heavily from the lore when trying to invite new viewers, especially when most people don't see the blue box as a plot hole. Unless he's going for a full-on Timeless Child retcon, I'm not seeing it happening, though I'd like to. The Fugitive Doctor is good, but the lore she was saddled with is very bad.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1598708817184841728?s=20&t=FEpMQ7fCXLYsHiSc2CViCQ

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

That man's spray can game is on-point. He's not even using a stencil!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TinTower posted:

This has been my take on it as well, it's just a separate thing to the Timeless Child nonsense, she's just one of the forced regenerations foisted on the Second Doctor before they ended up at the Third.

I honestly, legitimately thought we were gonna get a final episode where the Fugitive Doctor starts regenerating and then cut to (the HD!) footage from Spearhead from Space of Pertwee falling out of the TARDIS.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Yeah, I'm pretty psyched for this. Though they've gone from 12 episodes to 9, unfortunately.

The last two seasons were really great.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty psyched for this. Though they've gone from 12 episodes to 9, unfortunately.

I'm seeing the site saying each set is four discs?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

Oh sweet, hopefully that's correct (there have been errors on the site a lot recently -- e.g. Scott Handcock being credited twice as the script editor for the first of the new season sets).

I was basing my deduction off price comparison.

BTW, someone really needs to go through and fix the BF credit listings generally. There's a deadnamed author and everything.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

This has been my take on it as well, it's just a separate thing to the Timeless Child nonsense, she's just one of the forced regenerations foisted on the Second Doctor before they ended up at the Third.

I honestly, legitimately thought we were gonna get a final episode where the Fugitive Doctor starts regenerating and then cut to (the HD!) footage from Spearhead from Space of Pertwee falling out of the TARDIS.

I mean, my whole view on the Timeless Child thing is "you're trusting the Master on this? The exact same man who proved the Matrix could be edited?". It would be funny if the Timeless Child was the Master all along, though. 😂

(Also, if you add in a memory wipe, then you can write away Handy counting as an incarnation as Eleven knowing he doesn't have any juice left in the regeneration tank but he can't figure out why because he can only count eleven previous faces.)

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh sweet, hopefully that's correct (there have been errors on the site a lot recently -- e.g. Scott Handcock being credited twice as the script editor for the first of the new season sets).

I was basing my deduction off price comparison.

BTW, someone really needs to go through and fix the BF credit listings generally. There's a deadnamed author and everything.

I would email their customer service and let them know

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Davros1 posted:

I would email their customer service and let them know

They've been informed. They haven't changed anything.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Calling The_Doctor and all McGann fans:

https://www.moviejawn.com/home/2022/11/28/doctor-who-am-i-examines-a-lesser-loved-incarnation-of-the-beloved-franchise

Documentary on the 1996 movie and the guy who wrote it, featuring McGann, Daphne Ashbrook, and examination of American Who fans, and a shout out to Big Finish.

Turns out the writer is the son of the guy who played Doc Holliday on The Gunfighters. I didn't know that.

I want to watch this, though I'm not sure where, as when they say it's appearing on "Streaming" that's a bit vague...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's on iTunes Uk or whatever and the bluray is also on Amazon UK available to ship to the US (i dont know where you are)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Am-I-Blu-ray/dp/B0BGPYV3SD/?fbclid=IwAR06s2MjZ9n5pDmoHq_7u7a22QYyr7xXtGl1WHsIOCrh17U_y7b0Bfk8exE

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/movie/doctor-who-am-i/id1649818300?fbclid=IwAR28Z6XOyr4ynQgFpsPADElp-vylBmqyZ9v0IEzSjuAn4q80PYSOkXHWmwc

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

TinTower posted:

I mean, my whole view on the Timeless Child thing is "you're trusting the Master on this? The exact same man who proved the Matrix could be edited?".

It did crack me up that the entire argument the Master makes (and the Doctor accepts) is that what he's showing her MUST be true because it's in the Matrix, which is an infallible record of all Time Lord history.

The Matrix, a device that was first introduced back in the 1970s as being an infallible record of all Time Lord history... that was shown to have been compromised and its records faked even in that very first story.... by the Master! :lol:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Astroman posted:

Calling The_Doctor and all McGann fans:

https://www.moviejawn.com/home/2022/11/28/doctor-who-am-i-examines-a-lesser-loved-incarnation-of-the-beloved-franchise

Documentary on the 1996 movie and the guy who wrote it, featuring McGann, Daphne Ashbrook, and examination of American Who fans, and a shout out to Big Finish.

Turns out the writer is the son of the guy who played Doc Holliday on The Gunfighters. I didn't know that.

I want to watch this, though I'm not sure where, as when they say it's appearing on "Streaming" that's a bit vague...

Oh, is that what that is? I’ve been getting adverts for something called ‘Doctor Who Am I?’ in my FB ads for weeks, but no clue as to what it actually is, as I don’t generally click on ads that aren’t clear about what they’re selling. Huh, might be interesting then?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Davros1 posted:

3 stories + interviews

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Filming for series 14/season 40 started today.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

We’ll probably see a costume reveal very soon, then.

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1599848595691343882

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Desperately looking in the shadows behind the camera slate for any sign of the St John's logo :ohdear:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Jerusalem posted:

Desperately looking in the shadows behind the camera slate for any sign of the St John's logo :ohdear:

Extremely terrible idea: Fourteen decorates the TARDIS exterior like a nerd decorates the back of their laptop.

It starts with a St John's Ambulance logo, but every single story they add another sticker from wherever they went until eventually you can only vaguely tell the space under them is meant to be blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The inverted colours on the sign :allears: