Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
Something about the weird nodding gesture he does just makes me think of the Mr Show R&B group Three Times One Minus One.

EDIT: Ugh, terrible snipe. I'd like a new winner, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm sorry...just sick of the guy. Cris is perfectly nice but watching one contestant dominate is not fun or interesting.

I'm fine with dominating if the contestant is actually fun to watch and an interesting person (see: Amy).

I keep saying I don't hate this guy, I'm just bored with him.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I'm fine with dominating if the contestant is actually fun to watch and an interesting person (see: Amy).

I keep saying I don't hate this guy, I'm just bored with him.

Yeah, agreed. Amy and Sam Buttrey have sparkling personalities that make you root for them. Both Cris and Holzhauer suffer from the problem of robotically searching for Daily Doubles and getting a nearly unbeatable lead early on. I think Cris is a bit more personable than James was, but they're a bit too 'flat'.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Yeah, agreed. Amy and Sam Buttrey have sparkling personalities that make you root for them. Both Cris and Holzhauer suffer from the problem of robotically searching for Daily Doubles and getting a nearly unbeatable lead early on. I think Cris is a bit more personable than James was, but they're a bit too 'flat'.

Yeah completely agreed. James I loving hated from his first game, something about his entire affect put me off.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

This is boring and not even fun to watch.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I like Cris, but they are at the "we got nothing left in the banter" so it's the usual "did you ever think you'll get this far?" and "what are you going to do with all this money?" Questions.

I think Ken should just ask weird ice breaker questions at this point like "do you have any special routines on your birthday?" or "what's your favorite children's book growing up?"

I know it's not much, but it would be interesting to see how far we go until "your go to Chinese Takeout order" and "what podcasts you listen to"

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

What, is "I hear you have some very large pants" not weird enough for you.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
ow

OW

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Hell of a bet by the contestant on the right to drop himself to third when betting nothing would have guaranteed him second place!

Also,

Vintersorg posted:

This is boring and not even fun to watch.
Turn your TV on :smuggo:

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007
Chris owns, I love watching someone crush the other players so easily. More drama from seeing someone lost all hope by the beginning of DJ.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Whenever there's a long running champ people have the same complaints lmao. People said the same thing about Ken 18 years ago.

But yeah Cris doesn't seem to have much of a personality for TV, or at least he can't comfortably mix banter and game play like Mattea or Amy. No shame in that, it's really hard to do, but he seems like such a blank slate.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I don't mind champions like Amy because she had a certain humility about it. I'm not sure if that makes sense but I like it better than, as I said, robotically hunting for DDs to deny your opponents even the chance of catching up to you. I know it's a game and you have to play to win, but I like for people to have something I can root for instead of 'good strategy'.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

I can't find it in me to get mad at a player for employing good strategy to win lots of money.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

zakharov posted:

I can't find it in me to get mad at a player for employing good strategy to win lots of money.

I ain't mad, just bored.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Iron Crowned posted:

I ain't mad, just bored.

Watching a guy break into the top tier of Jeopardy winners while making giant risky bets and you're bored.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

1glitch0 posted:

Watching a guy break into the top tier of Jeopardy winners while making giant risky bets and you're bored.

Can't speak for Iron Crowned, but yeah....pretty much. I miss having someone like Sam Buttrey who had a personality you could rally behind. Cris is a nice enough guy; just 'flat'.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
At least someone like James had such a punchable face you could root against him, so it was exciting any time another contestant put up a fight. This is just....watch a boring guy and see if he finds the DDs or not, exciting :geno: (which he definitely relies on heavily, the one game he risked losing was where he didn't find those, he isn't as good with the buzzer as a Ken or an Amy).

I don't like him, I don't dislike him, I just want to move on to someone new.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

I like Cris and I want to hang out.

Thumbs up. 221.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
If it bothers his opponents so much they should just beat him :colbert:

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

christmas boots posted:

If it bothers his opponents so much they should just beat him :colbert:

With clubs, preferably.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
the ragequit of game shows

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Good news: Cris' story today is "my dad is glad I'm on Jeopardy!, but he doesn't watch all the time because he works nights."

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Hey man, you try coming up with 20+ TV-friendly anecdotes that take less than 10 seconds to tell. I'd be in pretty serious trouble after, like, day 5

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Does his dad not have a DVR or something?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

FrumpleOrz posted:

Does his dad not have a DVR or something?

Gotta leave something for tomorrow's interview

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Ken Jennings should tell him that he can find rips of each episode on Youtube

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

Goons: "TV trivia man doesn't have 20 extremely interesting anecdotes."

Also goons, when asked for one interesting anecdote: "..."

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
A duck walked over my leg once and it felt kinda weird and rubbery.

gently caress now I gotta find a different anecdote if i ever make it on the show.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Sean posted:

Goons: "TV trivia man doesn't have 20 extremely interesting anecdotes."

Also goons, when asked for one interesting anecdote: "..."

Normal goons: Who the gently caress doesn't just fast forward through the interview segment?

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The interview segment is the best part of the show.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

"Aztec" is not a language and it's really weird that the clue today said/implied that it is

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

ninjahedgehog posted:

Hey man, you try coming up with 20+ TV-friendly anecdotes that take less than 10 seconds to tell. I'd be in pretty serious trouble after, like, day 5

I think they need to take a cue from Only Connect and just have the most inane anecdotes.

"Let's meet today's players...

Matt Amodio, a computer science graduate who once threw a baseball at a minor league baseball game.

Amy Schneider, a writer who has a tattoo from The Wizard of Oz that we aren't cleared to show.

And the returning champion, Cris Pannullo, a customer success operations manager who dislikes olives, but tries them at parties.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

christmas boots posted:

Gotta leave something for tomorrow's interview

Nope!

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

awesome, here comes bill gates for a streak

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

IG-88 posted:

awesome, here comes bill gates for a streak

Dude was seriously in the red to start and dethroned this guy, so that's entirely possible.

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Normal goons: Who the gently caress doesn't just fast forward through the interview segment?

Its okay to listen to human beings about their life experiences.

The Sean fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 7, 2022

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

:cheers: to Cris. No hard feelings; I was just ready for someone else to have a chance at being champion

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

The Sean posted:

Its okay to listen to human beings about their life experiences.

It's also ok for someone else to not like something you like.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

holy poo poo stop slapfighting over a game show

Anyway I can't believe he lost on that Final, I thought it was a gimme and certainly something a player of his caliber should know. Great game with a ton of back and forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

I jinxed it