Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

good lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Relevant to earlier chat (and the ongoing topic of Labour being dogshit)

https://twitter.com/WebDevLaw/status/1599823900967260161

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Never really had a problem cooking induction stirfry on a flat bottom wok.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Guavanaut posted:

Gandhi managed to play bread like a bowed instrument through developing his satyagraha methodology of nān violins.

How long did you spend cooking this up?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/dec/05/homelessness-charity-shelter-staff-start-unprecedented-two-week-strike

quote:

Homelessness charity Shelter’s staff start ‘unprecedented’ two-week strike
More than 600 staff set to walk out over pay, with Unite saying some workers worried about becoming homeless themselves

More than 600 workers at the housing and homelessness charity Shelter are beginning an “unprecedented” fortnight of strike action on Monday in a dispute over pay – coinciding with one of its busiest times of the year.

The Unite union said a 3% pay increase this year had left some of Shelter’s staff unable to pay their rent and very worried about the possibility of becoming homeless themselves.

Shelter said some of its services would be “temporarily impacted” during the strike, but added: “We are making every effort to continue to serve those in need of our help.”

The two weeks of strike action will see its staff join postal and rail employees and workers across a number of other sectors who are taking part in industrial action over pay in what has been called “the December of discontent”.

etc

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Thought I was fairly internet desensitized but goddamn the documentary on C4 tonight with the :nms:filmed autopsy of a young mother who died of cancer:nms: was a pretty tough watch. I thought pretty sensitively done though, genuinely interesting and informative without veering into spectacle.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tarnop posted:

Yeah, good luck with that.
Lot of corps use them for their work at home people.

Tomberforce posted:

Thought I was fairly internet desensitized but goddamn the documentary on C4 tonight

Didn't they do that like 20 years ago? I remember the big hullabaloo about it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

happyhippy posted:

Yeah just another one for the teetering "stupid authoritarians" pile

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

happyhippy posted:

Ah, well you see, those are good VPNs, used for making number go up.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So, heating chat.

I've got central heating with the thermostat in the upstairs hall.

Is it better to heat the house with all the doors closed, open, or it won't make a bit of difference?

I figured with the doors closed, each room would individually heat up quicker and then the hall would be surrounded by warmth like an insulation, so it in turn would heat up quicker, not to mention the heat would stay built up in each room too.

I've noticed that if I open the living room door the heat built up "escapes" into the hall so figured closed doors are best.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kin posted:

So, heating chat.

Is it better to heat the house with all the doors closed, open, or it won't make a bit of difference?

I figured with the doors closed, each room would individually heat up quicker and then the hall would be surrounded by warmth like an insulation, so it in turn would heat up quicker, not to mention the heat would stay built up in each room too.

I've noticed that if I open the living room door the heat built up "escapes" into the hall so figured closed doors are best.

Never try heating a room with the door open.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Kin posted:

So, heating chat.

Close the doors.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Tarnop posted:

How to blow up your platform for criticising Chinese censorship in five easy steps; or, Not even China does that level of nonsense!

Just no words, the whole thing is absolutely insane.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Private Speech posted:

How to blow up your platform for criticising Chinese censorship in five easy steps; or, Not even China does that level of nonsense!

Just no words, the whole thing is absolutely insane.

It's about as workable as Indonesia's new "no sex outside marriage, mmkay?" law.
Millions of people looking at their hormones and thinking 'yeah, sure dude; pinkie promise.'

Oct 4, 2005

Labour: We're going to ban VPN
Corporations: No you're not.
Labour: No we're not

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

VPN license.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Starting to feel to egg shortage here. I need me some drat eggs

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
S'true. Toddled off to Tesco the other day, no eggs, no cornflour, no freakin' cream crackers eff eff ess. And this is in one of their superstores, serving a wealthy suburb.

Luv too live in a first-world country.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
There will be adequate food.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can substitute 65g of blood for one egg (~58g) or 43g of blood for one egg white (~33g).

Some sources suggest that this is more humane than how we currently get eggs, especially if you obtain it by flying in through the windows of landlords at night.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OwlFancier posted:

VPN license.

Heading down the newsagent purchase my vpn pass (must register my ISP and actual ip address with them).

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Wouldn't you need china/russia/NK levels of control to "ban" vpn's though? What even is the point that will never happen?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
It's The Thought That Counts. And the Thought is About The Children

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
To show that they are doing something to display suitable contrition to the fascist press.

Also so that we can laugh at all of the people who opposed Corb's free broadband proposal on the basis of "it'll give the government control of the internet" by proving that they can gently caress up the internet plenty well without giving us anything good.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
If only one of the several home secretaries who wanted to ban cryptography had succeeded we wouldn't need to worry about the scourge of VPNs today.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

keep punching joe posted:

There will be adequate food.

To be fair, this is a bird flu thing, not a brexit thing. Thats about the only pass the government get.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

big scary monsters posted:

If only one of the several home secretaries who wanted to ban cryptography had succeeded we wouldn't need to worry about the scourge of VPNs today.

tucks his Kelloggs Frosties decoder ring under a pile of papers while looking worried.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Microplastics posted:

It's The Thought That Counts. And the Thought is About The Children

Outrageous to imply our political parties have anything approaching thoughts when it comes to the Internet adjacent topics

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

they should just make the crimes illegal

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Speaking of my struggle with eggs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63864786

quote:

The UK is "sleepwalking" into a food supply crisis and the government must step in to help farmers, the National Farmers Union (NFU) has warned.

Yields of tomatoes and other crops will likely slump to record lows this year, it said, with potential supply problems ahead as already seen with eggs.

Soaring fuel, fertiliser and feed costs were putting farmers under severe pressure, it added.

But the government said that the UK has "highly resilient food supply chain".

Some supermarkets are rationing egg sales after farmers cut back or halted production because of rising costs - a situation made worse by the Avian flu outbreak.

However, the NFU warned that food producers in other areas were now facing difficulties.

It said production of energy-intensive crops like tomatoes, cucumbers and pears was likely to hit its lowest level this year since records began in 1985.

It also said milk prices were likely to fall below the cost of production, while beef farmers were considering reducing the number of cows they breed.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Is the shortage of eggs an act of brinkmanship to answer that age old question?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

forkboy84 posted:

Outrageous to imply our political parties have anything approaching thoughts when it comes to the Internet adjacent topics

Not outrageous to imply that they spend a lot of time thinking about children, though.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'd imagine they spend a very short time thinking about children. Probably done in 2 minutes

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Good job we have the sewage tomatoes

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I propose eating all the libs and melts.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Remembering this for no reason

https://twitter.com/thejournal_ie/status/1070969899693105153?t=0RrMsBmfXQfDYQ6c_Vs6AA&s=19

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Genuinely starting to think I should have poured a couple grand of savings into canned goods at the start of the pandemic. Everything is so much more expensive now.

The only thing stopping me was lack of space but if I had a garden and a shed I might have done it.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The Irish have played the long game but finally get to exact their revenge on the tans simply by having a basic standard of living.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Living well is the best revenge, especially while your opponent shits their own pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Living standards are dropping like my first game of Victoria 3