Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.

idhrendur posted:

A quick update on reviewing the converter - I see how holding slots and holdings are determined, and that should be easily adjustable. As best I can tell the converter doesn't adjust technology, so you should be able to do whatever makes sense in history/technology. As for buildings, I still can't tell how CK2 sets those for game load. Also, if you have somewhere else you'd like to discuss conversion stuff, let me know so I don't just spam the thread.

I'm a lurker in the convertor discord, so can chat there in the IMP-CK2 channel. The game pre-builds buildings based off combining province tech history with extra_tech_building_start = X in buildings themselves with some semi-randomness, all of which I'm comfortable with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

I've got something to tell you. Something that may shock and discredit you. And that thing is as follows: I'm not wearing a tie at all.
Right, it’s time for some set-up questions. The options are intentionally vague, feel free to expand on them or offer your own suggestion

1: Where in the world is Attila?

The steppe is wide and home to a thousand peoples, one of whom is the Xiongu, known in the West as the Huns. We diverged a bit from history (and the instability of the silk road may have weakened northern China and the Han Dynasty’s powerbase in favour of the south) - our state date of 150BC means the expulsion from north China and migration westward is all up for question. What has happened with the Huns? (In-game note: the Göktürks will be replacing the Mongols as the mid-game threat from the steppe, so that will be a feature regardless)

Options:
1: One Scourge Under Heaven
The Xiongu have forged a state down the yellow river valley not dissimilar to our timeline’s Liao
2: An Alexander of the East
The decaying Kushan Khanate has been reinvigorated with fresh blood and new leadership
3: Riding the Tiger
Scythia has a new - and powerful - 'vassal' in it's north-east territories

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
3: Riding the Tiger

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I think I'll go with 1.

Maybe one of the Xiongnu tribes conquered China or part of it, forming a Yeniseian dynasty that ended up being the ancestors of today's Ket from Siberia? Just some ideas. :spergin:

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Natty Ninefingers
Feb 17, 2011

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Tomoe Goonzen
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
2, Iskander rises

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Eleven Eleven
Nov 12, 2016

Eleven Eleven fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 7, 2022

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

That’s 10 for China and 11 for Kushan, so the Huns will likely be straddling the two.

Disappeared over the summer and got a job at a new firm and moved to a new city, but we’re back! Most the culture work has been done, so next on the block is religion - particularly Manichaeism.

2: Much ado about Mani

Mani - mystic, painter and prophet - was both in this timeline and ours a high-flyer in imperial courts. Drawing from Zoroastrianism, Christianity and Buddhism, his teachings centre on the corrupt nature of the material world and the need for people to return their souls to the realm of light. While it has so far gained the support of the Punic Empire and Scythia*, it is still mainly an elite-driven movement, with conversions amongst the peasantry much rarer than the upper nobility.

*and, weirdly, Orissa on the bay of bengal and some minor Indian/Tibetan statelets

While we were the first state of note to convert, Carthage is obviously significantly more powerful and populous than us - any drastically unusual interpretation of Mani’s teachings will likely lead to schism from them

Questions:

1. The Elect, Perfecti, the Enlightened - there are many names for holy men and women. To ensure they are freed from reincarnation on death, they are obviously celibate and vegetarian, but how are they organised?

A: Paramount Paraclete
As Christ sent Mani to ensure his message was understood, so too did Mani establish a chief amongst priests to guard against the corruption of the dark. There will be a head of faith (feel free to suggest appropriate cities for them to be seated from)

B: Imperial Immediacy
The elite-driven nature of early Manichaeism meant that clerics turned to secular lords for their authority and protection as they guided the people towards gnosis. Manicheanism will be autocephalous

C: Mundane Munification
To ask the enlightened to take on territorial responsibilities, to be tied to jurisdiction and mundane responsibilities would be to chain them to the world of the dark. There will be no heads of faith

2. What is the attitude of Mani’s followers towards Christians, Buddhists, and Zoroastrians? Pagans and all who practise animal or human sacrifice are in obvious need of guidance and suppression, but what about the followers of the former prophets?

A: Suppression
The Dark always seeks to envelop the Light, to corrupt and ultimately extinguish it. If the followers of the prior prophets are allowed to spread their lies in safety, many more lightbearers will fall to the dark. They must be suppressed.

B: Supersession
While they are mistaken, caution and care must be taken when dealing with those who follow true prophets rather than pagan idols. We will carefully reveal the truth to them in the fullness of time. In game, we will slowly convert them

C: Tolerance
If the peasantry wish to tie themselves to the material and physical, then so be it. We will allow them to do so, levying a minor tax on such material possessions to allow for the enlightened to live free of such manual labour. In-game, we will levy a unbeliever tax and non-zealous characters will not convert provinces

D: Adoption
Even nobles may be Christian, and the wisdom of the ancient Hellenes still resounds today - while more radical factions may call for priestesses, if they were so close to enlightenment in a past life they would not have been reincarnated as a women to begin with. In-game we will not convert anyone, some starting Patricians will be non-Manichean, and interfaith marriages will be allowed. We will also be restricted to male temple holders

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

AB

Not sure about a city for the head of faith though. Using basegame Samarkand would be very funny as we deal with the dictates of an extremely distant pope

What city in our realm would you say is the biggest center of Manichaeism?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
BB

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
CC

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

AC

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

AB

What was our original capital again?

Yuiiut
Jul 3, 2022

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

AB

Not sure about a city for the head of faith though. Using basegame Samarkand would be very funny as we deal with the dictates of an extremely distant pope

What city in our realm would you say is the biggest center of Manichaeism?

Thanks to Imp mechanics none of our metropoli have flipped yet (more pops means longer to get a plurality). Generally speaking the Greek and Balkans are predominately Christian still whereas Manichean has rapidly become the majority religion in the less populated north.

Just off pop sizes: we've got Tanais (our second capital) and Neapolis (our original capital) up in the far North, though putting the epicenter of our religious establishment so close to Attilla might be less than ideal, and putting it so far from Carthage will jeopardize continuing harmonious religious relations with them.

To the south, all the cities are pretty sizeable (Imp begins to strain at the seams after a few hundred years) - of note would be Pella, the capital of our new republic, and Athens, home of the philosophers.

Further afield, there is Carthage proper or Alexandria, both mighty and impressive cities safely in Manichean hands.

Lastly, for crackpots, there is Babylon, torn between the Messianic Parthians and the Druids, Samarkland, seat of the Kushan Khanate, and Orissa, a beacon of light past the Indus.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

1B 2B

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

C B

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

BD

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!