Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
It is too bad guardians 3 will be the last good marvel movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Sgt. Politeness posted:

PS: Random question but was there ever a discussion of a potential Birds Of Prey 2? I'd especially love to see one under Gunn's oversight.

I really loved BOP but sadly it didn't do too well so might not be high up on the list. I'm sure we'll see Robbie's Harley again. In fact we already have.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Mr Hootington posted:

It is too bad guardians 3 will be the last good marvel movie

This will be the one that sinks them, surely

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Joe Fisto posted:

Well not one to one, but primary colored space suits have to be related, right?

According to the man himself, yep!
https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1598745081024245760

A talking coyote
Jan 14, 2020

I thought it was a Pac-Man thing

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I knew it!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
i like it when Gunn says "shut up nerd"

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Rhyno posted:

i like it when Gunn says "shut up nerd"

I know it’s an old movie but why would he reference among us over it? I don’t get that assumption. One of the most influential sci fi films by a legendary director vs a indie game.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Joe Fisto posted:

I know it’s an old movie but why would he reference among us over it? I don’t get that assumption. One of the most influential sci fi films by a legendary director vs a indie game.

Most people are uncultured willingly or unwillingly. It is becoming an increasingly large problem.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Joe Fisto posted:

because it's the tik tok generation making the claim it's based on Among Us. it's like arguing with a fetus.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Mr Hootington posted:

Most people are uncultured willingly or unwillingly. It is becoming an increasingly large problem.

on the flip side, 2001 is a very long, very boring movie that I don't think I've ever watched all the way through in a single sitting. I was more entertained by this podcast discussing it.

https://www.iheart.com/podcast/1119-tossed-popcorn-85451454/episode/2001-a-space-odyssey-wtf-89337119/

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You all sound so old right now

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Blockhouse posted:

get off my goddamned lawn

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Blockhouse posted:

Excuse me I am young and hip. I know what a glizzy is.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Joe Fisto posted:

Excuse me I am young and hip. I know what a glizzy is.

Sounds sus

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Cael posted:

Sounds sus

AMOGUS

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joe Fisto posted:

probably because there's a large portion of the internet that doesn't even know that movie exists now

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Why wouldn't they? 2001 was only ten years ago

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Calling everything an Among Us reference is a meme.

And absolutely more people know that game than 2001.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

Blockhouse posted:

Insert Steve buscemi greeting fellow kids here

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
insanely hosed up these uncultured swine don't know 2001

now, about ant man 5,

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Soul Glo posted:

insanely hosed up these uncultured swine don't know 2001

now, about ant man 5,

Ant Man 5 was way better than Ant Man V.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Karloff posted:

I really loved BOP but sadly it didn't do too well so might not be high up on the list. I'm sure we'll see Robbie's Harley again. In fact we already have.

On the one hand, I feel like BOP should get a bit of a mulligan because it came out right as people started getting cautious about gathering in crowded places as covid was starting to gain mainstream attention.

On the other hand, it also had a pretty concerted campaign to shut it down by chudliest chuds because people suck poo poo and I guess don't like it when people make things that aren't for them.

On a third, completely different hand, you also have a company that's now under it's third ownership in under a decade and one of their first actions was to completely shelve the only other female driven superhero movie they had in the pipeline (which also just happened to be totally done). This alone has a chilling effect on my hopes for a BOP sequel.

My biggest complaint about BOP will always be they could've used any name other than Cassandra Cain but also whatever. Their property, their name, their choice.

Mochiballs
Aug 27, 2006

Opopanax posted:

This will be the one that sinks them, surely

All jokes aside I remember being in this forum when the first Guardians of the Galaxy came out and lots of people were sure that would be the end of the MCU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Rhyno posted:

because it's the tik tok generation making the claim it's based on Among Us. it's like arguing with a fetus.

The guy being replied to in the tweet is, however, 51 year old webcomic pioneer Scott Kurtz so probably more like arguing with Bouncing Boy's tryhard uncle.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mochiballs posted:

All jokes aside I remember being in this forum when the first Guardians of the Galaxy came out and lots of people were sure that would be the end of the MCU

I got invited to a preview screening at the last minute, and got to tell those people they were nuts for two weeks before the release.

For someone whose mom had cancer at the time (she got better), that movie was an emotional rollercoaster, and one of the best times I had at a movie theater.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Guardians of the Galaxy and Up have the weird "deeply intense cancer death that is 100x more brutal than anything else in the movie and seems like it should be in a different movie" tax you have to pay before you can see the rest of the movie.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Both those things are vital parts of the films imo. A version of those films without them would be nowhere near as good.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Karloff posted:

Both those things are vital parts of the films imo. A version of those films without them would be nowhere near as good.

Agreed.

Just saying that those things aren't advertised at all, so a lot of people had the same experience that Open Marriage Night had when they went to see those movies.

There were a significant amount of people crying at Up and Guardians when I saw them in the theater and a couple people walked out of Up because they brought their kids and either didn't want to explain it to them or thought that the whole movie was going to be like that.

Sometimes, it is very funny. There were a couple kids (and adults) melting down when I saw Infinity War and Spider-Man, Black Panther, and everyone else got dusted. One set of parents were frantically trying to tell their kids that they just got teleported to a jail and asking the ushers to back them up and confirm it for their kids.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Ah yeah that's true. You're right. I could see that being a bit of a shock. Especially if there's life experience with those themes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It did make me enjoy the comedy a lot more. My mom hasn’t seen the movie, but she loves the soundtracks.

I’ve mentioned before that I had to tell my friend not to take her nine year old to see Wakanda Forever because of the opening scenes, but at least that movie is more upfront about it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
https://twitter.com/JohnDiLillo/status/1599925780808486912

I did not know this was still in theaters but ouch.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Release the Rock Cut!

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I’m more surprised it’s projected to make 500-550m.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
was dropping a massive bomb one of his wrestling moves?

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

If they’d spent that money making a watchable movie they might’ve gotten that return on investment.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sanschel posted:

If they’d spent that money making a watchable movie they might’ve gotten that return on investment.

this times a million.

it's so loving bad.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

was dropping a massive bomb one of his wrestling moves?

the rock bottom

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

the rock bottom

you've always been my favorite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Aphrodite posted:

I’m more surprised it’s projected to make 500-550m.

Reading the article, there's some movie junk numbers going on here. It looks like the studio gets about half the box office, so its on track to have a $400M box office. But nobody knows the actual production cost so maybe it broke even already? The only real takeaway is it was not a huge success.

Wakanda has taken in $700+M