Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Gavok posted:

Jeff Jarrett is both a cancer and a cockroach in the wrestling business and holy poo poo do I not want to see him on my TV.

is this guy a wrestler's wrestler? as in wrestlers like him even though normal people don't, and that's how he keeps getting work? because i remember him being presented as a big star back in the day, despite the fact that fans were visibly disheartened to see him come to the ring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Prof. Crocodile posted:

is this guy a wrestler's wrestler? as in wrestlers like him even though normal people don't, and that's how he keeps getting work? because i remember him being presented as a big star back in the day, despite the fact that fans were visibly disheartened to see him come to the ring.

Bad country music and hitting dudes with a guitar. Seen it done better by one Punk Rock Wayne Farris.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
The only wrasslin' redneck I care for is Diamond Dallas Page.

......and Hacksaw

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Prof. Crocodile posted:

His dad was wrestling promoter Jerry Jarrett who ran shows in Memphis and Texas. It's the only reason anyone knows who Jeff is. Stone Cold refused to work with him in WWE because he hated his dad and Jeff had talked poo poo on the Austin 3:16 promo. I remember him telling a story of sitting backstage looking at a paycheck Jerry had stiffed him on when Jeff walked up and told him the check wouldn't get any bigger if he kept staring at it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Prof. Crocodile posted:

Jarrett's deal was that he started as a nepotism success. His father ran a promotion and Jeff was treated as a success because of that. It just so happened that a young Steve Austin worked for that promotion, got paid far less than he was expecting, and was not happy when Jeff Jarrett made a joke at his expense about it.

Jeff got to be in WWF for a while and was pushed as a midcard heel for several years before going to WCW for a spell and returning to WWF. He was good friends with booker Vince Russo, but he was never going to rise above the midcard because Austin held a grudge and just did not like the dude. Besides, his Attitude Era persona was just a lesser version of Austin with more misogyny. He still became Intercontinental Champion, but someone at the company screwed up as Jeff's contract was running out BEFORE a PPV where he was set to drop it to Chyna. Jeff ransomed the match to Vince and got paid a shitload of money to do the PPV.

Afterwards, Jeff went to WCW, where Vince Russo was the new head writer. Jeff was given a massive push as the top heel and became champ several times over, but nobody ever took him seriously because he still felt like an over-pushed midcarder who wasn't on the level of the Nashes, Goldbergs, and Hogans. Once Vince bought WCW, Jeff had zero chance of making it back to WWF because Vince was still pissed about the Chyna match.

So the Jarretts started TNA and Jeff pushed himself as the top guy. Either he was an invincible face or a heel who held onto the belt for far too long at a time. Even though TNA was only a success in the sense that it survived, Jeff at least gained a lot of experience from running the place. Then when it seemed like he was done with TNA, he left to start a new "promotion" called Global Force Wrestling, which looked to be a gigantic scam. Even though they filmed a few shows, it ended up merging with TNA... followed by some complications I won't get into.

In the past several years, Jarrett has just been popping up everywhere. He returned to WWE and got a backstage job for a while. He was part of Ric Flair's final wrestling match. Now he's in AEW and has a backstage role.

So to answer your question, I guess that after being in TNA for so long, Jarrett has just become decent enough as a talent behind the scenes that he's been seen as valuable. At the same time, running a company like TNA will indeed earn you some loyalty as someone like his AEW partner Jay Lethal surely credits Jeff Jarrett for his success.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Gavok posted:

AEW still brings in guys who aren't huge names but are huge talents like El Bandido and AR Fox, but recently their biggest reveal was Jeff Jarrett. Jeff Jarrett is both a cancer and a cockroach in the wrestling business and holy poo poo do I not want to see him on my TV.

This was the moment where I went from "yeah I wanna keep up with this" to "Nah, I'm good I'll tune in if I'm bored I guess"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Jeff Jarrett is just pure poison to a show. He's not the kind of dude you watch TV or buy a ticket because you hope to see him lose. He's the guy where, when he's on TV, you mute the TV and walk away to go to the bathroom and get another drink and you absolutely don't buy a ticket because then you might have to listen to him talk or watch him wrestle. He thinks he's the former but is absolutely the latter

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
tbh I would pay PPV money to watch, say, Sting just absolutely brutalize Jeff Jarrett with a guitar. With multiple guitars. And every time Jeff tries to talk on mic, someone appears from under the ring and just wallops him with a guitar. And then later they cut to him in an ambulance on the way to the hospital and the medic pulls off his face mask AND IT'S STING and Sting just whacks Jeff with another guitar. Repeat process for arrival at the ER, finding a room, etc.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

bagmonkey posted:

tbh I would pay PPV money to watch, say, Sting just absolutely brutalize Jeff Jarrett with a guitar. With multiple guitars. And every time Jeff tries to talk on mic, someone appears from under the ring and just wallops him with a guitar. And then later they cut to him in an ambulance on the way to the hospital and the medic pulls off his face mask AND IT'S STING and Sting just whacks Jeff with another guitar. Repeat process for arrival at the ER, finding a room, etc.

Yeah we'd all pay to see that but the thing about JJ is that he'd always win anyway in those kinds of situations. You know, for the heeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah we'd all pay to see that but the thing about JJ is that he'd always win anyway in those kinds of situations. You know, for the heeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Yep, it's exactly why I stopped watching instead of trying to give a poo poo and hope the story would change. He's gonna somehow come out on top looking like he actually should win something, when we all know he should be sentenced to Early-South-Park-Kenny levels of abuse

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
Booker T was a better Chef Boyardee spokesman than Foley :c00lbutt:

BEEFAROONI

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Kane is the Chef Boyardee champion. Don't have to like his politics but that old boy can sure sell some canned pasta. What a legend.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

bagmonkey posted:

Sting and Jeff Jarrett (and partners) fought on PPV like two weeks ago and Sting hit Jarrett with zero guitars :smith:

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
lol sting is old

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

blunt posted:

Sting and Jeff Jarrett (and partners) fought on PPV like two weeks ago and Sting hit Jarrett with zero guitars :smith:

The failures of AEW are piling up

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol sting is old

https://twitter.com/RGT_85/status/1516963187173826562?t=i_4461zDU8F76uwEzB79cg&s=19

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sting's AEW run is absolutely one of the best parts about AEW. It's so loving goofy and hilarious to watch a dude who's almost my dad's age play himself as some unbeatable wrestling god and to jump off stages and through tables and poo poo lol

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I love the edit where somebody took the footage of Sting no-selling being put through a table and added the audio of, "AGH! CALL AN AMBULANCE! CALL AN AMBULANCE! ...but not for me!"

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

bagmonkey posted:

Sting's AEW run is absolutely one of the best parts about AEW. It's so loving goofy and hilarious to watch a dude who's almost my dad's age play himself as some unbeatable wrestling god and to jump off stages and through tables and poo poo lol

sting rules lol

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Every time I hear people talk about Sting in briefly forget about his The Crow schtick and imagine him as a 65 year old doing the Wholesome Ultimate Warrior schtick instead.

Then I remember him hiding in the audience ready to whack a dude with a chair wearing a Sting mask.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

bagmonkey posted:

"Play himself as"?

:confused:

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Then I remember him hiding in the audience ready to whack a dude with a chair wearing a Sting mask.

He's done that twice in AEW already and its hilarious each time

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Bless Maffew and Botchamania

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds17XmwAXqM

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Two tastes that do not go with each other.

https://twitter.com/scully1888/status/1602949460912373760?s=20&t=yIFMklAyqMnIfWw-DSl-kg

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Just imagine if they had a crossover promotion where the Olsen Twins became ECW tag team champions.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Jamesman posted:

Just imagine if they had a crossover promotion where the Olsen Twins became ECW tag team champions.

I would watch the poo poo out of that.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

you just know it would have a finish where the ref get the twins mixed up

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

spaceblancmange posted:

you just know it would have a finish where the ref get the twins mixed up

Olsens and Hebners all over the place!

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

I think it's actually kind of normal for celebrities to have to do in-person appearances with very random other people. I had a conversation with Marc Summers once about one time he had to do an appearance with Hulk Hogan.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Matha Stewart and Snoop Dogg come to mind.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Whoopi Goldberg also coming to mind. I think that 1-900-HOTDOG article had it right; after the studio actually sued her to force her to star in Theodore Rex, she gave up and would appear in literally anything for $500.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

David D. Davidson posted:

Matha Stewart and Snoop Dogg come to mind.
They are apparently good friends, and have worked on a whole bunch of stuff together

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Foxfire_ posted:

They are apparently good friends, and have worked on a whole bunch of stuff together

Someone who likes to cook and someone who likes to smoke weed getting along, what a mystery.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Foxfire_ posted:

Wanna see that holiday TV special.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

They cohosted 3 seasons of a cooking show:

Martha and Snoop's Potluck Dinner Party

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

A current big thing going on in the wrestling world is the recent firing of Mandy Rose.

Mandy Rose was introduced in the last Tough Enough back in 2015. She became a part of the women's division, though never really standing out that much. Outside of a lengthy tag run with Sonya Deville, she was mainly remembered for a solid romance storyline with Otis, WWE's resident Chris Farley. The storyline was such a hit that it led to Otis winning Money in the Bank... which then killed his career for a while, but that's another story.

At some point, they sent Mandy back to NXT where she put together a stable called Toxic Attraction and within a few months she won the women's championship. There, she remained champ for a long time. It's worth noting that around this time, people backstage were telling flailing-but-talented wrestler Ember Moon that she needed to work on being sexier, telling her specifically to be more like Mandy Rose. Ember ended up leaving WWE soon after and is now the ROH Women's Champion in AEW.

A few weeks ago, Mandy Rose abruptly dropped the title to Roxanne Perez out of nowhere on a regular episode of NXT. Considering it was a run of 413 days, the whole thing felt suspect. Then the next day, she was fired.

Turns out what happened was that Matt Bloom (formerly Albert/A-Train/Lord Tensai) saw some of the pictures Mandy Rose had on her FanTime page and brought them to NXT head guy Shawn Michaels' attention. "Sexy Boy" Shawn Michaels decided that these were TOO sexy and they dropped her immediately.

Mandy Rose has apparently made $500,000 off her FanTime since being let go.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

drat, those are the '00s-est outfit I've seen in quite some time

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The problem wasn't Mandy Rose having a sexy fansite. The problem was Mandy Rose had a sexy fansite without WWE being fully aware of it and not getting a cut of the action.

The "independent contractors" of WWE aren't allowed to have any other sources of income without WWE getting a share of it. That's why they previously fired Zelina Vega, because she refused to give WWE any money she was making from her Twitch streaming.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Semi-related question: is the WWF still a PG company or is it sleazy again?

I'm asking because I inherited a storage unit full of tear-away evening gowns, and I'm trying to find a buyer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Jamesman posted:

The problem wasn't Mandy Rose having a sexy fansite. The problem was Mandy Rose had a sexy fansite without WWE being fully aware of it and not getting a cut of the action.

The "independent contractors" of WWE aren't allowed to have any other sources of income without WWE getting a share of it. That's why they previously fired Zelina Vega, because she refused to give WWE any money she was making from her Twitch streaming.

Yep. WWE claimed that it was because advertisers expected to have their ads on a more family friendly product and if anyone searched for those pictures it would cause advertisers to drop their ads. I'm sure that was probably a small part of it but it was 95% Mandy making money without WWE getting a cut