Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Is Manifest worth watching? I watched the first episode and it seemed dumb but pop corny enough to keep watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Man. I wanted to like this new cooking show on Netflix but it's way too obvious it's produced by frito lay. Like, I guess most people don't care but it's so obvious

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

The Big Brunch show on HBO is good at least. It's very upfront about the fact that it was made so that Dan Levy can have multiple delicious brunches a day. But yeah, Dan is funny and all the chefs and judges are just nice people. They all help and support each other, a nice change of pace from other American cooking competitions. The food looks amazing too, don't watch it hungry.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I hate The Great British Bake Off on Netflix. I hate it so much I've seen every episode. The new holiday ones are great, I mean terrible, because the contestants aren't professional bakers, they're the cast of some other British TV show.

Bong Appetit on Hulu is a show about cooking fancy food with cannabis. It mostly made me mad because they don't decarb all the weed right.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

It’s interesting that Netflix puts out the holiday bake-off shows a year after they air in the UK.

I guess the UK channel wants to show them on actual Christmas and New Years and Netflix wants them available for the whole season.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Christmas is in July in the UK because of time zones.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Medullah posted:

Nope, just both based on similar mythologies

lol incredible. they look so similar its like an asylum films ripoff. I wonder if Netflix got fooled when they bought it too.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

mcmagic posted:

Is Manifest worth watching? I watched the first episode and it seemed dumb but pop corny enough to keep watching.

I've watched the first season and it's... okish but bland?

It quickly devolves into the main characters trying to solve whatever mystery of the episode that the visions they receive present, with them occasionally gaining more insight into some sort of conspiracy that is willing to go to unethical lengths in order to experiment on them. I didn't feel like it ever managed to give me a good reason to get invested in working out what is going on.

mystes
May 31, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

The last 2 years have been so insane for television I have trouble even picking favorites at this point.
It's definitely been a great time for tv with a zillion different competing streaming services pumping insane high budget movie levels of money per episode into new original programming, but there's no way it's sustainable so I wonder how much longer it's going to last (probably a year or two more at most).

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Inspector Hound posted:

I hate The Great British Bake Off on Netflix. I hate it so much I've seen every episode. The new holiday ones are great, I mean terrible, because the contestants aren't professional bakers, they're the cast of some other British TV show.

Bong Appetit on Hulu is a show about cooking fancy food with cannabis. It mostly made me mad because they don't decarb all the weed right.

I really want to like that show because I adore Sandi Toksvig and think she's done a wonderful job as a successor to Stephen Fry on QI but I could give a poo poo about baking.

Oh what the fresh hell

https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/reality-tv/a42141131/bake-off-sandi-toksvig-hospital-pneumonia/

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Inspector Hound posted:

Some other British TV show? This year it was the cast of It's A Sin, which also aired on HBO, a devastating look at the AIDS pandemic in the 1980s. I'm not really a crier, but I ugly sobbed in two separate episodes. It's fantastic, and deservedly won a ton of awards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnR5DxP2e2g

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Nihonniboku posted:

Some other British TV show? This year it was the cast of It's A Sin, which also aired on HBO, a devastating look at the AIDS pandemic in the 1980s. I'm not really a crier, but I ugly sobbed in two separate episodes. It's fantastic, and deservedly won a ton of awards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnR5DxP2e2g

Man I cried when Eazy-E found out he didn't just have a bad cold in Straight Outta Compton

I don't even like Eazy-E

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Man I cried when Eazy-E found out he didn't just have a bad cold in Straight Outta Compton

I don't even like Eazy-E

I thought it was pretty crazy that the Dre approved biopic made E extremely sympathetic and stopped just short of floating text onscreen saying SUGE KILLED E

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

I just caught something called Bullet Train on Netflix. And, despite clearly having a lot of money behind it, between the casting and the effects, it's...bad? Like, pretty goddamn bad? Like, "film student who remembers watching a Quentin Tarantino movie ten years ago but not very well" bad?

Somebody commiserate and confirm that you also had a lovely time watching this. I must share this suffering.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
The ending kinda sucked but I was entertained the whole time.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Netflix has, as a studio, been really interesting because they have no real idea about how to run a Hollywood studio but they've thrown enough money at the problem to mostly get there. Like yes, occasionally they'll just shell out absurd amounts of money to get Scorsese or Bong or two Knives Out sequels and ends up with what is more or less a real movie, but they also throw the same amount at people who have absolutely no idea what they're doing and not guide them, and they have no concept of how to really market a movie so everything has this kinda "oh, that movie's out, huh" vibe and it makes everything feel weirdly cheap.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

I don't wanna be That Guy and bash it too hard, but yeah, hard miss for me. Feels like they worked out the plotting, and then the actual script was just "insert dialogue here" first-draft stuff. I won't rag anyone for digging it--it's flashy enough that there are worse ways to kill time. But I could definitely believe that Netflix is doing a fire-and-forget kinda thing, and with a little more love this wouldn't be relegated to the Netflix and chill category.

punissuer
Nov 6, 2009

mcmagic posted:

I think it’s the latest in a line of shows that don’t do the work to earn the payoffs they’re looking for but it is O.K. as a keep warm function for your brain until bedtime

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I want a website that tells people whether or not a cliffhanger is realized, whether a show ever resolved its storylines, whether it was just a pointless mystery box. A website that tells us which series have an actual ending.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Bullet Train was from Sony and had a normal theatrical release this summer. That one is not on Netflix.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Bullet Train was from Sony and had a normal theatrical release this summer. That one is not on Netflix.
Yeah I don't understand why everyone is suddenly pretending like this validates whatever they think about Netflix. The movie came out in early August! And yeah it sucks. I appreciated that it was trying to be zany and exciting but you don't get very many points for merely trying.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Glass Onion was pretty great. Didn't feel like a half baked Netflix movie where no one said anything to the filmmaker. It was as good as the first.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I had a blast with bullet train but yeah it's very cheesy. Very Tarantino like, much in the same way smoking aces was twelve or whatever years ago.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, like I said, sometimes they end up with a real movie. Sometimes they end up with a Glass Onion or Okja or (I'm assuming) GdT's Pinocchio, sometimes you end up with Gray Man or Bird Box or Andy Serkis' Jungle Book, these weird little movies that disappear from the cultural consciousness almost immediately.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

Netflix has, as a studio, been really interesting because they have no real idea about how to run a Hollywood studio but they've thrown enough money at the problem to mostly get there. Like yes, occasionally they'll just shell out absurd amounts of money to get Scorsese or Bong or two Knives Out sequels and ends up with what is more or less a real movie, but they also throw the same amount at people who have absolutely no idea what they're doing and not guide them, and they have no concept of how to really market a movie so everything has this kinda "oh, that movie's out, huh" vibe and it makes everything feel weirdly cheap.

And they just recently had the first Knives Out sequel in around 600 theaters for one week only, they made $15 million which means they probably woulda made more if they’d given it a proper release instead of just a promotional run.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

punissuer posted:

I think it’s the latest in a line of shows that don’t do the work to earn the payoffs they’re looking for but it is O.K. as a keep warm function for your brain until bedtime

If there isn't any kind of payoff i'll probably skip the rest lol

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Yeah, if Glass Onion had a full promo campaign and theatrical run it might have at least matched the first movie's box office. Netflix paid a stupid amount of money for it, too. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they did because it was great and everyone deserved that payday, but there's absolutely no way it's going to bring them anything close to that amount of money ever.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I was all prepared to see Glass Onion a second time with a different group when I learned the limited run had already ended. Just the dumbest possible galaxy brain decisions going on at Netflix.

Why are streaming execs so goddamn dumb?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The instant Netflix and Amazon and everybody else can change the Oscar rules to not require a theatrical release they're never going to release their movies in theaters again.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I was all prepared to see Glass Onion a second time with a different group when I learned the limited run had already ended. Just the dumbest possible galaxy brain decisions going on at Netflix.

Depends on where you are I guess. It looks like there are still showings at the local Alamo Drafthouse for me

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

bullet train is tons of fun but it's more like a really good game night movie with the boys than an actual movie

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

bullet train is 2 hours long!? jesus christ why.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Sir Kodiak posted:

Good thing I pay for a VPN or my ISP would be very upset.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Famethrowa posted:

bullet train is 2 hours long!? jesus christ why.

It felt much longer.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

POWELL CURES KIDS posted:

I just caught something called Bullet Train on Netflix. And, despite clearly having a lot of money behind it, between the casting and the effects, it's...bad? Like, pretty goddamn bad? Like, "film student who remembers watching a Quentin Tarantino movie ten years ago but not very well" bad?

Somebody commiserate and confirm that you also had a lovely time watching this. I must share this suffering.
So a Joe Carnahan movie?
I'd watch it if it were 90 minutes I guess.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Big Mean Jerk posted:

If your job is to make money in an industry that historically loses money hand over fist, it's hard to know what to do!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I was out of the country for a week. When I got back I invited a friend to go see Glass Onion, only to learn that it was already out of theaters.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Aren't these limited releases pretty much "we showed them in a theatre, so now it's eligible for Oscar nominations"-things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Pingiivi posted:

Aren't these limited releases pretty much "we showed them in a theatre, so now it's eligible for Oscar nominations"-things?
Yes. I don't think that makes anyone feel better though!