Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

I despise political cartoonists but these are some of the most dogshit awful I have ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Conspiratiorist posted:

I suppose the fuselage could indeed be sturdy enough to withstand without internal damage a blast that ripped off the ailerons and wrecked the truck parked next to it.

It probably is?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

So Dall-E 2 is pretty cool, but as you know they have the following clauses

Preventing Harmful Generations
We’ve limited the ability for DALL·E 2 to generate violent, hate, or adult images. By removing the most explicit content from the training data, we minimized DALL·E 2’s exposure to these concepts.

Curbing Misuse
Our content policy does not allow users to generate violent, adult, or political content, among other categories.

As a result, it will not depict "Vladimir Lenin", "Joseph Stalin" or "Mao Zedong". It will use "Lenin" and "Stalin" as prompts alongside Marx, but it must have been scrubbed of images of their faces or something because it depicts them with a beard like Engels'.

You know what it will depict that I would argue is political?

I'm not going to tell you the prompts I used because jfc some of them... but you can sometimes get ones that are prohibited through by adding "Ukrainian Nationalist themes" and the quality is better if you add "digital art". I'm going to be an optimist and say the nationalism part just breaks the word filter or something.

As a palette cleanser, it's alright with "Karl Marx", and "Free Palestine", the imagery comes from my prompts, I guess it's how I Imagine these things 🥺.

also, I don't care what the prompts were, these lil guys are cute

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 02:53 on Dec 6, 2022

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Mouse Buddy Comrades!

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

Tankbuster posted:

Mouse Buddy Comrades!

I'm sure you have seen this but Never Forget

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_to_the_laboratory_mouse

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

There is something poetic about Europe being impoverished and destroyed by imperialism.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

It doesn’t look structural, you replace wings and cowling on jet aircraft.

Do not hire this person to be your head of safety.

I'm betting the Russians, not being morons and possessing competent engineers, will actually do a thorough run through on this airframe, because there is visible damage to significant and important portions of the airframe. It's probably out of action for weeks or months or possibly totaled.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Ardennes posted:

It probably is?

who knows where shrapnel hosed up the insides. maybe its fine maybe its not but aircraft arent very armored

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

that poor plane

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

mlmp08 posted:

Do not hire this person to be your head of safety.

I'm betting the Russians, not being morons and possessing competent engineers, will actually do a thorough run through on this airframe, because there is visible damage to significant and important portions of the airframe. It's probably out of action for weeks or months or possibly totaled.

Yeah because I am suggesting they attempt to repair it without a proper inspection, nice try. From the damage it looks like it is repairable though and the damage was primary to the wing from the various shots released. It will be out of action until it is repaired though.

OctaMurk posted:

who knows where shrapnel hosed up the insides. maybe its fine maybe its not but aircraft arent very armored

You would need a visible hits from shrapnel to make that case. If this was a Western or Ukrainian plane it would be called repairable if you just had some pics.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 03:40 on Dec 6, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

one of the best ways to read this thread is to completely ignore captain america's and captain canada's posts

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

AnimeIsTrash posted:

one of the best ways to read this thread is to completely ignore captain america's and captain canada's posts

no they are both too fascinating

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Best I can do is read Captain Canada's posts twice.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

FF is the best use of my Canadian taxpayer money ever spent, sure beats paying for Groimes or Hedley

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Ardennes posted:

From the damage it looks like it is repairable though and the damage was primary to the wing from the various shots released.

I don't think you know what parts of airplanes are if you think this is the "wing"

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1599854402025627648?s=20&t=UBOoluDY6FEiDorswKyF8w

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mlmp08 posted:

I'm betting the Russians, not being morons

I don't believe you think the Russians aren't morons.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

A Ukrainian Tu-141 crashed in either Romania or Serbia on the third day of the war.

lmao

https://twitter.com/Based_FIN/status/1502075701926797316

https://twitter.com/Based_FIN/status/1502075701926797316

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

I think Russia has pretty good engineers! I think their political calculation has been poor.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

mlmp08 posted:

I don't think you know what parts of airplanes are if you think this is the "wing"

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1599854402025627648?s=20&t=UBOoluDY6FEiDorswKyF8w

its the butt obviously

speng31b
May 8, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

if it enables a more tedious argument the Russians are geniuses

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

https://twitter.com/SamRamani2/status/1599854402025627648

Dunno whatever they hit at Engels but that's a Tu-22M3 out of action.

RE Russian claims of modified Tu-141s, they've intercepted multiple of those throughout the conflict so either this is a new/modified capability or their AD failed.

minor is a bit lol but you also wouldn't call it major. light/medium i guess. very odd how its chewed up but the damage drops off to nothing, no shrapnel or w/e at all lol. guessing it was purely the blast wave of the explosion? idk

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The warhead in the Tu-141 is only as large as the camera and film canisters originally fitted, I’d imagine

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

i'm trying to figure where the explosion was in relation to the plane to both create that damage and not gently caress up the rest of it

yeah right, its so weird lol. guess they did shoot it down and it maybe tumbled perpendicular across it

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

At least captain canada's posts seem sincere in that "spent way too much of their life talking to other people online" sort of way.

It's relatable.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I hear big metal machines skittering into the ground at hundreds of miles per hour can damage things. Just the Tu-141 airframe is like 40+ feet long and thousands of pounds.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ukraine losing countless thousands of men and exhausting the surplus armories of all Europe: debatable if it's good or bad, citations needed

Russia possibly losing a big plane on the ground: catastrophic for Russia

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
please watch out for my new piece for the Daily Beast: Russia is Running Out of Bombers, Sources Say

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

Definitely not, I just think it's funny to look at it and say "it'll buff out."

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Ukraine losing countless thousands of men and exhausting the surplus armories of all Europe: debatable if it's good or bad, citations needed

100% accurate.

Every single day that Russia isn't wining they're losing.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

I hear big metal machines skittering into the ground at hundreds of miles per hour can damage things.

the michael bay origin story

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

its not a loss, its also going to take years to a decade if the U.S. airforce is any indicator lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Homeless Friend posted:

the michael bay origin story

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
lol the F-22s that got damaged by a hurricane

and the F-35 that fell into the ocean because someone didn't take the cover off

and the F-35 that the wheels came clean off

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mlmp08 posted:

It's hilarious that you know you're incredibly tedious and disingenuous to the point where you responded to a post that doesn't refer to you in any way just from the context alone

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

and the F-35 that fell into the ocean because someone didn't take the cover off
The English are responsible for that one, doesn't count.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
whatever happened to that boat that sailor burned down due to his make believe pregnant girlfriend

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

It's hilarious that you know you're incredibly tedious and disingenuous to the point where you responded to a post that doesn't refer to you in any way just from the context alone

I was just agreeing with you that the loss of one bomber isn't disastrous for Russia. Embarrassing, but not a big or even moderate deal for the conduct of the war.

Are there people so dumb that they think this is a disaster and materially affects the war? Probably, but I try not to read people who cheerlead pro-Ukraine rumors so hard.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lostconfused posted:

The English are responsible for that one, doesn't count.

"Anglo-American"

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Homeless Friend posted:

whatever happened to that boat that sailor burned down due to his make believe pregnant girlfriend

the bonhomme richard? totaled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Raskolnikov38 posted:

the bonhomme richard? totaled

Yup, and the US Navy was unsuccessful in criminally pinning the blame on one young sailor. They've a bad habit of hunting for one dude they feel like blaming for generally mismanaged safety disasters. https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2022/09/30/sailor-found-not-guilty-of-setting-fire-that-destroyed-ship/