Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Excellent points, but the specific, bespoke caps are specified in the customer contract and any substitutions need to go through our legal team and their purchasing department.

As for securing them, I agree. They should be removed the second the lift controls are unpacked and reinstalled only just before shipping. But that would be admitting there is a problem, and according to management, there is no problem, just don’t lose the caps :v:

Edit: also we have a full 3d printing department, and they could print better, more secure caps, but they are kept idle 75% of the day for some reason

TaurusTorus fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

DRINK ME posted:

Sort of related to the redundancies and my desire to get out: I had a phone interview the other day that I was all anxious about but they just wanted more details on what I know: Have you worked with Power BI? SAP? etc. then said they’d be scheduling proper interviews soon. They could have just called and asked me that stuff any time, I don’t know why they scheduled it. I haven’t interviewed properly in a long time so it’s got me flustered that I actually want this job.

I would say this is pretty standard for where I work, but they absolutely should have been clear before the call that it wasn’t an interview.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I dunno maybe relax whatever is making line guys think it's worth stealing caps vs reporting they don't don't have caps

In other news we're under a huge safety push where they keep saying they'd rather shut the whole floor down to mop up a splll than take any chances

That's nice and all but 100% of the OKRs are still based on OEE sooo

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Big shout-out to the guy who borrowed the pressure washer but was "too busy" so he just dumped everything on the floor like this covered in kitchen grease.

Extra points for losing one of the spray attachments as well.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Thanks guys/girls/goons - just seemed weird to me but I realised I’ve been in the same company for 15.5 years so none of my previous experience is really relevant, except maybe when I helped interview for my boss a couple of years ago.

I wish they’d just hurry up and tell me they don’t want me so I could stop feeling anxious about it all.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
I have been asked by management to start scheduling “some kind of meeting that needs to be in person” to in turn be used to justify dinging the plebs when they do not come in.

gently caress everything about this poo poo.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

fresh_cheese posted:

I have been asked by management to start scheduling “some kind of meeting that needs to be in person” to in turn be used to justify dinging the plebs when they do not come in.

I am surprised it is this blatant, and not engaging with subterfuge to make you unaware of the deceit as well. I guess they expect you to not squeal and tell your workers that their place of employment wants to needlessly endanger their lives?

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Magnetic North posted:

I am surprised it is this blatant, and not engaging with subterfuge to make you unaware of the deceit as well. I guess they expect you to not squeal and tell your workers that their place of employment wants to needlessly endanger their lives?

Welcome to costco, i love you.

TheSpartacus
Oct 30, 2010
HEY GUYS I'VE FLOWN HELICOPTERS IN THIS GAME BEFORE AND I AM AN EXPERT. ALSO, HOW DO I START THE ENGINE?

TotalLossBrain posted:

Semiconductor producers - the customers who buy the product requiring the cap - are EXTREMELY loving picky about parts specifications. To the point that Intel has a specific engineering code that tells all vendors "do not muck with this design at all, ever. For reasons we don't fully understand, this part makes a measurable difference in our process"

I guess I'm saying those customers would not be happy to see their new $$$ wafer fabrication equipment with unapproved substituted contaminated parts.

That presumes they'd ever find out! Make the change and wait...

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

TheSpartacus posted:

That presumes they'd ever find out! Make the change and wait...

they'll find out

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

attention sales people and mba types

saying 'right' instead of um, or pausing, is tacky as gently caress. stop that

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

All this talk about industrial parts and whether they meet specifications reminds me that I found a bunch of expensive industrial parts at Goodwill that looked like they were brand new and I sold them at fair market price on eBay and the addresses that I shipped them to looked like reasonably respectable businesses. I just figured that the biggest risk I was taking was that they didn't work and I would just have to give refunds. I think that whoever bought them was probably taking the bigger risk of looking like an rear end in a top hat to their bosses/customers.

I got only positive feedback/no complaints so I guess it all worked out.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

TaurusTorus posted:

Excellent points, but the specific, bespoke caps are specified in the customer contract and any substitutions need to go through our legal team and their purchasing department.

As for securing them, I agree. They should be removed the second the lift controls are unpacked and reinstalled only just before shipping. But that would be admitting there is a problem, and according to management, there is no problem, just don’t lose the caps :v:

Edit: also we have a full 3d printing department, and they could print better, more secure caps, but they are kept idle 75% of the day for some reason

Still not sure why you can't go around the rest of your company and order a bag of caps direct from the supplier, and bill it to 'upkeep and maintenance' or some poo poo. Don't tell anyone about bag obviously.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Outrail posted:

Still not sure why you can't go around the rest of your company and order a bag of caps direct from the supplier, and bill it to 'upkeep and maintenance' or some poo poo. Don't tell anyone about bag obviously.

Customer contract says gently caress you so hard if you do that, that's why

the second someone who cares finds out about that bag, and they will, the shitstorm will be immense

stuff that may have or absolutely has product contact requires accountability for tracing deviations, and having bags of parts that aren't known assets of the equipment in use is not conducive to that at all. If there's a deviation and it get traced back to your bag of caps, have fun working on the railroad (that your employer will be running on you).

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 5, 2022

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
I'm so excited, after two years being unable to work, I landed a 6 month IT job with Elections Alberta! I can't wait to rediscover my silent cat-like disdain for mismanaged things. Fresh meat for the resume god :black101:

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Pyrtanis posted:

I'm so excited, after two years being unable to work, I landed a 6 month IT job with Elections Alberta! I can't wait to rediscover my silent cat-like disdain for mismanaged things. Fresh meat for the resume god :black101:

So you're the one I get to blame when the UCP wins?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

MrQwerty posted:

Customer contract says gently caress you so hard if you do that, that's why

the second someone who cares finds out about that bag, and they will, the shitstorm will be immense

stuff that may have or absolutely has product contact requires accountability for tracing deviations, and having bags of parts that aren't known assets of the equipment in use is not conducive to that at all. If there's a deviation and it get traced back to your bag of caps, have fun working on the railroad (that your employer will be running on you).

I don't mean outside of the company. I mean do something like email them directly from your work account and ask them to send an extra bag of caps; hopefully by the time the invoice appears it's already in the mail. Or append 'a bag of caps' to the next order of equipment. The end result is you get a talking to about how 'that's not how we do things here!' but now there's a bag of legit caps lying around.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Outrail posted:

I don't mean outside of the company. I mean do something like email them directly from your work account and ask them to send an extra bag of caps; hopefully by the time the invoice appears it's already in the mail. Or append 'a bag of caps' to the next order of equipment. The end result is you get a talking to about how 'that's not how we do things here!' but now there's a bag of legit caps lying around.

If it's cGDP/cGMP manufacturing or similar levels of accountability, that's something that requires multiple levels of approval. High stakes stuff is cover your rear end, first and foremost.

edit: like, there's no documented accountability for the storage and handling of that bag of parts, so there's no guarantees on contamination, etc. Even if you introduce it to wash & prep and prep it, the source is questionable. This is my experience speaking from injectable drug manufacturing, of course. I guess you could always try to get a change request to make that cap a part of kanban floor stock, if you use that, order some and then it's a general use part. That requires all kinds of approvals and poo poo, though lol

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 5, 2022

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

fresh_cheese posted:

Send an email to everyone that is going to be invited to the meeting that says "Manager XXX is asking me to make some kind of a mandatory meeting and invite you all on premises, So I thought I would take this opportunity to ask all of you what kind of mandatory onsite meeting would bring value to our business. Suggestions welcome!"

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

TaurusTorus posted:

[...] As for securing them, I agree. They should be removed the second the lift controls are unpacked and reinstalled only just before shipping. [...]

I'm assuming you're part of the team that are building these parts, and can't you just... do this, and not tell management?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MrQwerty posted:

If it's cGDP/cGMP manufacturing or similar levels of accountability, that's something that requires multiple levels of approval. High stakes stuff is cover your rear end, first and foremost.

In GxP work, the paperwork and the process IS the job. The idea is, not only did you do the right thing, you can prove it. Having a tangible outcome is secondary.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

mllaneza posted:

In GxP work, the paperwork and the process IS the job. The idea is, not only did you do the right thing, you can prove it. Having a tangible outcome is secondary.

Absolutely.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Escape From Noise posted:

Big shout-out to the guy who borrowed the pressure washer but was "too busy" so he just dumped everything on the floor like this covered in kitchen grease.

Extra points for losing one of the spray attachments as well.

Having flashbacks to the last brewery I worked at where the owner constantly "borrowed" necessary brewery tools, forgot them at home for six months, refused to give us the money to replace them ("It's at home, just remind me and I'll get it tomorrow!" x2398023), then returned them either broken or filthy after we'd already surreptitiously replaced them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MrQwerty posted:

Absolutely.

We've got an in-house validated data transfer tool. It scans a folder full of .ini files and moves data around accordingly. Simple and powerful, and honestly great tool. Creating the .ini file for a new instrument family is 11 pages of paper (that will be scanned into our document control system) with initials, signatures and dates all over the place, and multiple tests to be performed. And a Service Now ticket to track the work. That's our smallest Installation Verification document.

If the FDA ever asks, we've got the paper.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

mllaneza posted:

We've got an in-house validated data transfer tool. It scans a folder full of .ini files and moves data around accordingly. Simple and powerful, and honestly great tool. Creating the .ini file for a new instrument family is 11 pages of paper (that will be scanned into our document control system) with initials, signatures and dates all over the place, and multiple tests to be performed. And a Service Now ticket to track the work. That's our smallest Installation Verification document.

If the FDA ever asks, we've got the paper.

yeah man, I used to edit batch records of fills that I worked on, and 20+ year old poo poo they were getting ready to discharge and burn in my downtime when I was lead. Some of that stuff from 20 years prior was back when they were using the CS license heavy, and I worked on CS fills too. The FDA papertrails doubled up with the same papertrails for the DEA, then all the additional DEA paperwork... loving christ.

Needless to say, ordering a bag of plastic caps nobody knew about and using them on anything in that plant, especially if it got within 10 steps of product contact, would be a loving reckoning.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Outrail posted:

My lead is pushing for this, but there is a difference between "bulk" components (screws/zip ties) that we can use freely, and itemized components (everything else) that has a discrete quantity. Reclassifying them as bulk is what he's been trying to do for weeks and making no headway.

Space Kablooey posted:

I'm assuming you're part of the team that are building these parts, and can't you just... do this, and not tell management?

A machine moves between multiple teams and shifts over days, and if I squirrel away the caps I may not be present when they are finally needed, and I won't know in advance who to give them to. People do remove the caps then put them in bags secured to the machines, but people just steal the caps from those too.

In non cap related grievances all our measurements suck. Do we use Fahrenheit, Kelvin, or Celsius? All three(and pseudo-Rankine sometimes) All our screws are imperial except on the manual lift control, where its metric. mBar, torr, psi, or atm? The only hard and fast rule is torr in the process chambers, everything else is just kinda whatever.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

holy poo poo lmao

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

TaurusTorus posted:

In non cap related grievances all our measurements suck. Do we use Fahrenheit, Kelvin, or Celsius? All three(and pseudo-Rankine sometimes) All our screws are imperial except on the manual lift control, where its metric. mBar, torr, psi, or atm? The only hard and fast rule is torr in the process chambers, everything else is just kinda whatever.

:wtc:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Haha you should let it slip to the very meticulous clients how the product they buy is such a fuckin mess.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Invalid Validation posted:

Haha you should let it slip to the very meticulous clients how the product they buy is such a fuckin mess.

The client knows this. That's why they are so adamant about traceability and documentation

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

One last units thing: the only volume units we use are milliliters and gallons. This bothers me so much, the liter is one of the few metric units in regular use in the US, but no, ml and gallons. About 3800 ml per gallon for the curious.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i now think that the cap thing is the least of your problems

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TaurusTorus posted:

One last units thing: the only volume units we use are milliliters and gallons. This bothers me so much, the liter is one of the few metric units in regular use in the US, but no, ml and gallons. About 3800 ml per gallon for the curious.

:catstare:

TotalLossBrain posted:

The client knows this. That's why they are so adamant about traceability and documentation

Anal retentive attention to details but not competent enough to produce a cap that doesn't fall off. You got a winner there

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TaurusTorus posted:

No loving way

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

TaurusTorus posted:

About

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

I will cop to the fact that I used “about” glibly, the fluid measurement has a high amount of precision, it’s just it’s only ever in high decimal precision ml or high precision gallons.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

TaurusTorus posted:

loving whyyyyy? If you use liters you could measure by percentage really really easy! Nooooooo!

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

TaurusTorus posted:

high precision gallons.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

TaurusTorus posted:

high precision gallons

Something about this has me giggling like an idiot. I am sure there is a reason somewhere, but my mind just keeps shutting down when I try to think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Dumb poo poo you work does: High Precision Gallons