Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Volmarias posted:

:wtc:

ok this bears further investigation, I was just hitting buy vehicle at the border stations

You do buy track builders at the border office because that's where you get trains from (I assume you probably can buy them beyond the border and... container ship them into the republic? but the border office is much easier) but helicopters and boats either are bought at a generic dock/helipad, or "beyond the border"

Be aware however that if you want to assign them to a route, you need to send them to a generic depot first, less relevant for helicopters as I don't imagine many people use them for repeat routes, but important for boats, you cannot forego the need to build a boat depot by buying direct from beyond the border.

When you are buying your track builders from the border office are you still trying to buy the "disassembled" versions because yeah those only come in very small sizes, if you want a big 100 tonne thing you need to buy that as a normal track builder and it absolutely does have to drive to the CO under its own power using a rail line, the disassembled ones are for remote COs and getting that first connection set up.

Or I guess if you have a road vehicle that can carry a 100 tonne train on the flatbed you maybe can use that too, no idea what that would look like though.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

OwlFancier posted:

You do buy track builders at the border office because that's where you get trains from (I assume you probably can buy them beyond the border and... container ship them into the republic? but the border office is much easier) but helicopters and boats either are bought at a generic dock/helipad, or "beyond the border"

Be aware however that if you want to assign them to a route, you need to send them to a generic depot first, less relevant for helicopters as I don't imagine many people use them for repeat routes, but important for boats, you cannot forego the need to build a boat depot by buying direct from beyond the border.

When you are buying your track builders from the border office are you still trying to buy the "disassembled" versions because yeah those only come in very small sizes, if you want a big 100 tonne thing you need to buy that as a normal track builder and it absolutely does have to drive to the CO under its own power using a rail line, the disassembled ones are for remote COs and getting that first connection set up.

No, you might be confusing me with euphonious. I can buy from the construction office, and the builders will merrily chug along to the CO, but only most of the track builders do this. There's one that's apparently too large for the border, somehow? It doesn't seem to be a workshop item though I suppose I should double check.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's odd then, as I said I bought the largest vanilla ones asap, no issues with them.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Is there any way to set the default "Workers outside of CO" for new constructions to zero?

Jesus Christ is it ever annoying to have to reload a save because your entire essential workforce flooded two apartment blocks that didn't have any resources ready instead of queuing at the bus station for the power and heating plants. It's easily fixed by setting the workers to 0 on the "outside of CO" thing, but I have to do that for every building in the city.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I could have sworn that it used to default to whatever you last set it to for new constructions, but I dunno if I am wrong about that or if it changed because I also have that wish.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I could have sworn that it used to default to whatever you last set it to for new constructions, but I dunno if I am wrong about that or if it changed because I also have that wish.

I also could have sworn the same thing, but it sure seems like maybe the behavior changes subtly somehow where now I need to click it off for every new build. It’s fine, it’s just a lot of clicks.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Does anyone know how many workers can be supported by 1 school/university/small mall/large mall? Planning a bigger city on a peninsula so I won't be able to simply add another one if they're over capacity

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

double nine posted:

Does anyone know how many workers can be supported by 1 school/university/small mall/large mall? Planning a bigger city on a peninsula so I won't be able to simply add another one if they're over capacity

No and sometimes you can get uneven demand from various things and it really throws off a good estimation. Honestly, you don't necessarily need to give everyone a university, just enough to keep the necessary things fed with college workers. (That said, I do support getting everyone educated!)

I have a town of 4000 total pop right now that's been running for a bit so its *fairly* stable, albeit growing slowly. It has two stores for food/meat/clothes/electronics and those together average about ~100 patrons? So maybe 40-to-1 pop to patron-slot. Add a small buffer to that, probably.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 27, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Anime Store Adventure posted:

No and sometimes you can get uneven demand from various things and it really throws off a good estimation. Honestly, you don't necessarily need to give everyone a university, just enough to keep the necessary things fed with college workers. (That said, I do support getting everyone educated!)

I have a town of 4000 total pop right now that's been running for a bit so its *fairly* stable, albeit growing slowly. It has two stores for food/meat/clothes/electronics and those together average about ~100 patrons? So maybe 40-to-1 pop to patron-slot. Add a small buffer to that, probably.

It's sort of frustrating that the happiness and loyalty metrics are so obfuscated. I've been under serving my college opportunities by restricting it to 70+ loyalty for staff and 65+ loyalty for students (those get tweaked based on the number of people available for each). My assumption was that college educated workers who do not have jobs requiring college education would lose happiness or loyalty or something, since they have their great education but they're still working the coal mines. Car ownership seems to help maintain or boost loyalty, though they need places to go (which is where road restrictions are very helpful, having "back roads" for personal cars can prevent congestion).

Really, I would appreciate knowing what levers and knobs do what here, and to what degree. There's obviously a correlation with health / pollution / access to goods / etc. It would also be nice if I could, in fact, raise the clothing quality etc by giving out lots of clothes, having everyone buy a radio so that my propaganda helpful announcements can reach more people. It's supposed to be a workers' paradise, let me give everyone a TV! :argh:

they will not all be getting cars, lol

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Volmarias posted:

they will not all be getting cars, lol

This is the correct choice.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I really wish there was an alternative to cars. If the quality of housing was better scaled that might work. Or really any other kind of luxury goods.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Why aren't there bikes?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have frequently asked myself why I cannot build the maoist bicycle republic of my dreams.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I think the only reason there aren’t bicycles is that the weird layer they’ve chosen to simulate just doesn’t really allow for it. As it is, bikes would basically make inter-city transport of any kind totally useless, and may even make busses or transit to nearby industry also useless. It’s some kind of weird abstraction of the scale.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

And yet motorcycles and vespas

E: really do think they should implement bikes + mopeds (USA tr. scooters?), to hell with what it would mean for the other systems. It's not like any other module has been made less useful with that in mind.
Cars being the singular luxury-item-status-loyalty thing it is wouldn't be brought over since it wasn't the mobility that gave them that status in the blocs. That was entirely about the exclusivity, like any other medal or status signalling icon

ThisIsJohnWayne fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 28, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the only reason there aren’t bicycles is that the weird layer they’ve chosen to simulate just doesn’t really allow for it. As it is, bikes would basically make inter-city transport of any kind totally useless, and may even make busses or transit to nearby industry also useless. It’s some kind of weird abstraction of the scale.

I think you could probably make them expand walk distance to say, 500m rather than the 350-ish you can manage at the moment, such as making them run significantly slower on anything other than full size road or dedicated cycle path so you're more restricted to the main road network.

Or even go the other way, make them much worse on roads to simulate cyclists not wanting to share with motor vehicles, so you have to build separate cycle networks or roads with cycle lanes which are slower for motor vehicles. Walking remains more versatile but cycles can help give you a bit more range between cars and pedestrians but are sort of mutually exclusive with both, force you to lean hard into pedestrianization if you want good bike coverage. Could also potentially give more use for trams/trolleys if you can build roads which disallow cars but do allow those and bikes.

You could also make them a consumer good like radios and tvs, maybe even have a bike shop that consumes mechanical components for bikes to be available.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Nov 28, 2022

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I agree with these points. It'd be a good way to increase health and give your citizens physical exercise, too. The factory would consume chemicals, mechanical components, and steel.

It's not impossible to implement bicycles in the game as it currently exists, is my point.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I honestly just roll bikes into the "yeah, I'll walk 0.4k up this hillside to a train platform, but 0.45k on a flat road is too far" abstraction, along with things like "workers teleport home after their shift." Just pretend that the politburo has declared the bicycle to actually be a dangerously reactionary technology that entices private ownership of whatever whatever blah blah blah

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Maeb2DuzBk8

Update video for the metro update premiering now, presumably it will be pushed to stable soon. Oh also the latest update for the community showed a change to the yellow highlight for selected buildings and vehicles, it has been replaced with a yellow outline, looks much nicer.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

OwlFancier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Maeb2DuzBk8

Update video for the metro update premiering now, presumably it will be pushed to stable soon. Oh also the latest update for the community showed a change to the yellow highlight for selected buildings and vehicles, it has been replaced with a yellow outline, looks much nicer.

And the update is out. link

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Man it's hard finding info out about this game sometimes! I only just realized that you can auto import stuff like bitumen directly to a silo to feed to an asphalt plant which is a goddamn game changer but is it possible to import manually via a train somehow? I could only find steam forum posts from like 2019 saying 'man wouldn't that be cool if you could...' but I think this new realism mode is all about not being able to teleport stuff to plants so there must be a way to send a train to the border and have it come back with a load of bitumen/coal/whatever now right?

Palcontent
Mar 23, 2010

Right, nothing can be auto-purchased in realistic mode so everything has to be delivered from the border one way or another. Except immigrants.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Palcontent posted:

Right, nothing can be auto-purchased in realistic mode so everything has to be delivered from the border one way or another. Except immigrants.

How do I get stuff delivered from the border though? Is there a way to make a line with the customs house to bring back Steel or is there a different way to do that?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

explosivo posted:

How do I get stuff delivered from the border though? Is there a way to make a line with the customs house to bring back Steel or is there a different way to do that?

It's exactly that. Vehicles will treat the border station as any other stop, and you can tell them to load / unload to import / export.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Volmarias posted:

It's exactly that. Vehicles will treat the border station as any other stop, and you can tell them to load / unload to import / export.

Oh wow, I see now. poo poo I can't believe I didn't try that before.

Edit: Just had my first mass extinction event in the winter because of heating problems :shepface: It's fine we can wait until spring

explosivo fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 6, 2022

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

This thread’s been too quiet and I’m not playing Ixion so the management games thread has been boring to me. So here’s a bunch of words about traffic and personal cars.

Have been really putting my rear end into my new save, trying to get my first city up to snuff with viable personal car usage both to please as many people as possible, but also to make everything look more lively and ant-farmy, play with the new traffic, etc. Of course the best side effect here is that they are really super handy for keeping small, remote jobs stocked with a trickle of people. I would like to remove busses entirely from this city so that everything is exclusively train, tram, walking, or car… but I’m not sure I can trust my little people to staff the sewage plant and (currently) the republic’s only power plant on their own.

Cars are tough, but the new traffic rules help them along a decent amount. The biggest problem I had was the shock to the system of introducing them. Inevitably you may need to make some changes to traffic flows - even add or remove some roads once you realize that oops, when I was only running supply trucks here, this wasn’t a bottle neck - and now it’s killing my Republic.

What really killed me was dumping all the cars in a relatively short period, and having my car dealership near to the city’s distro center, which because of my early start is choking on about 3x or more of the trucks I’ll need in 1950/60 - they’re slow and too tiny for a medium sized city. This led to waves of traffic that kind of cascaded into each other and rippled through my entire road system. I’ll share pictures once I finish decorating - but my city is fairly stapled into a valley where I really can’t have more than one road in or out without cutting some pretty severe rock cuts/tunnels. I knew this would be very limiting to traffic, but then I still made the mistake of building a lot of traffic generation on the outskirts of town along the road - seems like a good idea at first, until it’s no longer the outskirts and has trucks all over it just to do last-mile from the train-fed storage to stores.

Once I dumped cars into the mix it really poo poo things up because they tended to sort of move as one big group, blocking up whole areas and then as a result, causing more distribution requests as things didn’t arrive in time while being caught in traffic. They stopped up bus routes that bunched together. Generally they just made traffic a shitshow in a way that, was I not determined to power through, I might have just said “gently caress that” to ever using cars.

Instead, you need to do two things: address any inherent network weaknesses and help along or wait for things to reach a steady state. The first I’ll deal with in another post at some point (they’ll be specific to your republic anyway,) but the latter was nonobvious to me even though it should have been. One annoying spot I wanted to feed with car traffic was my radio station. Just out of town on a hill and a functional dead end to the network, this seemed like a great place to slap a few extra lots. This ended up being a nightmare at first, but was super useful because I could see that I was getting commuting congestion out first and then returning later in waves. Once I noticed this I slapped down a light at the most egregious intersection, tweaked it a few times, but ultimately played traffic cop for a bit - manually picking each phase of the light for what needed to happen to clear congestion.

This helped a whole ton. It still took awhile to truly get to something like a steady state but now my city can actually support a lot more cars than I thought when I initially wanted to say gently caress it, and things aren’t breaking because of a single intersection creating gridlock. The unfortunate part, of course, is that any big shock to the system will gently caress everything up again and require a new period of letting things settle. This can be something obvious - a ton of construction vehicles flooding a new construction - or it can be something stupid like “I had a blackout for a brief bit that made the trams stop in such a way to block this intersection, which backed up into two other intersections, and now everything’s teetering again.

None of this is probably surprising to Skylines or other traffic-game players, but I really had neglected all of my traffic brain for this game other than a high level “avoid things that create a lot of congestion near where you want things to move.” I really enjoy seeing the road network used to a more full capacity even if it’s technically not as efficient as everyone walking to bus stops. The biggest downside ends up being that it makes me want more skylines-like “Traffic President” mod controls and greater control over my road infrastructure. My god if I could assign lanes to make proper two lane roundabouts work, or if even the game just had one lane-one ways.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

This is part of the reason I have put the game aside again for a bit. The fact that you can no longer have smart interactions for road works means that onramps and off ramps no longer really work, traffic circles are less effective than a regular uncontrolled interchange, and your road traffic will limit itself to 50kph unless your manually mark every single intersection with "you may go, and you must yield" (and the road signs it generates that fucks up sidewalk connections!) has put a damper on this.

Incidentally, I do actually like the plumbing changes, since it both requires you to more realistically place your facilities, and provides vErSiMiLiTuDe, but the fact that I need to use a mod for a sewage junction so that I can upgrade without drowning the city in sewage, or constructing an entirely separate duplicate system is a load of poo poo (:dadjoke:)

E: I haven't played with Metro stuff yet, but I really wish there was a more effective light rail setup, and or the ability to say "don't allow more than N people at this platform" so that the whole city doesn't queue up for a utility junction.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Dec 21, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Volmarias posted:

your road traffic will limit itself to 50kph unless your manually mark every single intersection with "you may go, and you must yield" (and the road signs it generates that fucks up sidewalk connections!) has put a damper on this.

???

Do you accidentally have a speed limit set? They should drive at full speed, only non-obvious exception I think is that they will slow down at night (on unlit highways specifically?) and obviously weather affects it too.

Re: metro, an interesting element of it is that the whole track is built in one go, no separate electrification step, and also track layers will lay multiple segments at once if they have the materials.

Which has led me to speculate, does this work with normal rails? Like if you lay out the network in unelectrified concrete, will it build multiple segments at once, and then can you electrify afterwards, and will the track builder electrify multiple segments at once?

I have always built electrified from the get go, but I am now wondering if this is a very slow way to do it because it causes the track builder to go back to the station between each segment, and is that perhaps unnecessary if you build in stages?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Dec 21, 2022

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Incidentally, I do actually like the plumbing changes, since it both requires you to more realistically place your facilities, and provides vErSiMiLiTuDe, but the fact that I need to use a mod for a sewage junction so that I can upgrade without drowning the city in sewage, or constructing an entirely separate duplicate system is a load of poo poo (:dadjoke:)

I just had the worst situation of this - basically wanted to move my sewage plant to the opposite side of the city. I needed to clean it up anyway, but I basically had to redo all of the junctions to be in the opposite direction. What I ended up doing was just constructing as much of the new piping and infrastructure as I could and then autobuying just the few feet after I delete a small junk between the old and new pipes. (I won't play in realistic for just this reason, along with "placing 1000 props that can't be built without autobuy.")

Volmarias posted:

E: I haven't played with Metro stuff yet, but I really wish there was a more effective light rail setup, and or the ability to say "don't allow more than N people at this platform" so that the whole city doesn't queue up for a utility junction.

This does suck. I think the answer to this is probably just "more stops" but I'm trying to find elegant solutions to the "200 people wait patiently at the station for the tram to take them to church" (which doesn't exist) and then before you know it, no ones carrying the workers to the intercity train.

OwlFancier posted:

Which has led me to speculate, does this work with normal rails? Like if you lay out the network in unelectrified concrete, will it build multiple segments at once, and then can you electrify afterwards, and will the track builder electrify multiple segments at once?

I have always built electrified from the get go, but I am now wondering if this is a very slow way to do it because it causes the track builder to go back to the station between each segment, and is that perhaps unnecessary if you build in stages?

I only have concrete for most of my current core track, maybe I'll give it a whirl to upgrade and see what happens. (This is another situation where I autobuy upgrades to existing track to be electric because hoo boy.)

I have noticed that sometimes traffic likes to choke at intersections that don't have a priority set. That does sort of make sense to me? I've been on some fairly sketch country roads that have poorly marked intersections and honestly, the traffic does sort of behave like that where everyone kind of stops or slows down until someone commits, but this is rare given that those are in absolutely minimal trafficked areas. I don't hate this change but it can definitely be annoying when I forget to set something and scroll back to part of the map and find a sizable traffic jam because a distribution center and bus stop exit couldn't figure out who should go first without slowing to a crawl constantly.

I like the new traffic system but now getting into it, I can't disagree that it ends up a little half baked. I think the system they have works and is good, but they only give you about 1/3 of the tools you'd realistically want to control the new system. Like mentioned, on/off ramps and circles are basically broken because of the merge behavior and being a double lane always. Circles are the thing that really loving sucks - they have a ton of hangups because they're technically 4 (more or less) intersections, and connecting them all as "one" doesn't seem to help either? I've been loving with every possible variation of circle and nothing works right. The most success I've had is a simple circle with 4 straight connections and a yield, no intersections 'merged.' The least success I had was building a larger one where each road connected with a Y that had one ways. I tried all sorts of variations of 'merged' intersections to get traffic to flow and it never helped, but did crash my game a few times.

I think it could be good if they can do a little bit to tidy up intersection/merge behavior and give us like, 3 more road tools like single lanes and things. (Instead we got panel roads which ???)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

OwlFancier posted:

???

Do you accidentally have a speed limit set? They should drive at full speed, only non-obvious exception I think is that they will slow down at night (on unlit highways specifically?) and obviously weather affects it too.

Every totally uncontrolled intersection has vehicles slow down while transiting, acting as an all-way yield. If you specify two sides as "go" with the rest as yield or stop, vehicles on that priority road will not slow down. This generates signs for each side, however.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

The new tram road/rail connections are cool, but I was extremely disappointed they only work for trams and that I couldn't set up street running in my city.

I have gotten back into this game after putting it aside for a while, and my early start has been developing really well. I'll do an effort post, maybe after the holidays, with pictures, but I'm really happy with some of the development and how it looks.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Log082 posted:

The new tram road/rail connections are cool, but I was extremely disappointed they only work for trams and that I couldn't set up street running in my city.

I have gotten back into this game after putting it aside for a while, and my early start has been developing really well. I'll do an effort post, maybe after the holidays, with pictures, but I'm really happy with some of the development and how it looks.

I can’t wait to see it! I’m excited to share my newest save too, but by god I made the mistake of finally using all of the sidewalk and lawn and street/plaza decor mods I’d hoarded up until now and it’s taken me IRL hours just to get the city’s sidewalk plopped. (Admittedly it’s because I have a lot of weird angles and nonstandard blocks.)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am waiting for garbage for my next city

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

euphronius posted:

I am waiting for garbage for my next city

Can you not just use your current city as garage?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

I think it could be good if they can do a little bit to tidy up intersection/merge behavior and give us like, 3 more road tools like single lanes and things. (Instead we got panel roads which ???)

Panel roads are an appreciated flavour anyway, and quite useful early on when you don't have much that wants to go more than 80 anyway.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Pharnakes posted:

Panel roads are an appreciated flavour anyway, and quite useful early on when you don't have much that wants to go more than 80 anyway.

I like the idea of them as flavor except that I find their transitions and even the slightest curves super jarring and they offend my delicate aesthetic sensibilities, but I'll concede your point.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I was going to save this until I decorated my entire city, but BOY HOWDY I built the city with a not-that-easy layout (lots of acute angle blocks) and it's been such a huge loving pain to do the manual landscaping that I have to do it in small doses or it drives me absolutely nuts. I'm torn because it looks super great when you make a little scene and zoom in, but it takes insanely long to make it look nice, at least with my fastidiousness.

But you're not here for braying about decorating. Where's the beef?

Advice: Enable Cheat Mode and turn on landscape editor mode to make poo poo pretty. This restaurant is super frustrating in vanilla! The stock model clearly looks like it wants to be built on a slope and it has this long base that extends down to the ground. I built it on this slope but it looks like it wants to go on drat near a cliff. But you can't do that without placing it and then using cheat mode to lower the ground! But hey, doing that made it look super sweet. I have a few hotels in the city, so this is part of a tourist hotspot.

You can see the view from this angle, as well as my sight tower. This is a swampy lake/river with two mountains in the distance. The city has a pretty steep drop down to that lake, which is why it sort of ends where it does. You can see some of my paving here, and then where I gave up. I shouldn't have - getting the sidewalks right is probably the harder part, after that plopping props is pretty quick even to get things straight. Maybe I'll keep up slowly filling in the town and eventually get it done. I love the view!

...Because it looks super nice when you take the time! Look at this, little cafes and walking paths with news stands and green spaces. A little wall dividing the area's utilities. All usable! Paths are just hidden under the ploppable sidewalks.

I love this! I wish it didn't take so loving long! Look at the planter I made! BOLLARDS!

Here's a pullback of the city. This is pretty much done, but to the top left of this image is one of my better sources of uranium ore - so the current workforce that's going to be used as construction workers for my next several projects might eventually be repurposed for mining Uranium. You can see I've got only one road that connects this to the rest of the Republic. I really aught to take some more low angle shots because so much elevation gets lost here - all of this was painstakingly fit into trying not to flatten mountains all over. I love doing that, but from some angles it looks hectic.

Some of these other ones I shared in management games, but I'll dump here because why not.

This is the city's main distribution center that, obviously, is pretty traffic heavy. I've managed to mostly cure it per my last post, but I would absolutely redesign this whole area if it didn't mean ripping up so much painful to replace or duplicate infrastructure.

My power plant. Get your loving personal cars there you layabouts what the hell, I didn't build this infrastructure for no reason.

My construction industries. I'm pretty happy that this isn't *total* spaghetti hell of conveyors, though gravel (to the right) is sort of the biggest nightmare. Every good here either has a truck or train loading connection! (The transit lines for the train system actually run down the middle of this area.) I also notably only learned that train signaling behavior had changed after I built my interchanges for this area, which explains my squid-like 4-way train interchange to the right.

Critically this all gets fed by a single train station. That was tight, but I made it work. (As long as you'll allow me to count the transfer to cable cars for the coal mine. I think its allowed because I got to use a cable car set up! They're rare!)

My rail construction and rail depot/distro area.

My large construction and vehicle depot, just opposite the rail stuff and down the valley from the construction industries. I'm pretty happy with this. I know these areas seem a big congested, but it was fairly carefully planned and again, while not super obvious from the screenshots, is sort of stapled into a valley and it uses the space well. I'm trying to break myself of making grand, American style divided highway interchanges...

...Excepting the 'main' highway which will connect the main border crossings of the Republic. Offshoots/'local' highways will be much more subdued, but I want to keep my 'interstate' like an interstate. (FYI: Functionally in game, there is never enough volume to justify the land usage and extra travel time for poo poo to have to wrap around the interchange. I am sure I can gently caress with the terrain tools enough to avoid the extra space necessary to support bridges (which get huge) but it's just not worth it. I'll build one every now and then because its fun.

You can also see my lumber industry - one of my most cherished new mods is a 'factory' that's a managed forest that produces wood, instead of the traditional lumberjack cabins that you have to keep fed with trees from the tree tool. What a pain in the rear end that is! That area will look pretty nice along the highway once I refoliate it.

My oil field, which I bolstered with breakwaters since this was a swampy coastal area, so its "reclaimed" land. I think that's enough pumpjacks to feed a fully staffed refinery given the local purity of the oil field, but I didn't count closely. (It takes way, way more than you think.) Also a lot of those are pipe-pumps, not all pumpjacks.

The oil refinery. I thought this was going to look a lot cooler, but eh. There's actually not that much infrastructure needed to support the refinery.

My main border connection. I'm really happy with how this turned out, for whatever reason. Functional, simple. I've been playing mostly "realistic" without directly enabling it.

Finally, a big pull back shot of most everything I've shown. This is one of the Republics that, as a whole, I've been mostly happy with. I did have to redo a bunch already - but I've been cheating in a way that's let me keep one save instead of constantly restarting. I hate the current timescale - it moves too fast, and I hate the idea that I couldn't get a full autarky until like the year 2050. (Not speaking to any potential realism one way or the other, I just want to be able to feel like I'm getting there before the Berlin wall. Dumb personal goal, but it bugs me, and the way I build ends up taking a long time. So I've been save editing periodically to roll the date back to where I feel it "should" be, keeping me moving forward and upgrading instead of going, "Whelp I blew 30 years and don't have poo poo."

Hope y'all like it!

e: Two more, because I like them a lot.

I didn't finish my ploppables on the sidewalks here, but this is the city's sports stadium. I really love how it turned out. If I go back and finish plopping this will be my first area to finish.

And one at night, because god drat the game looks good to see the twinkle of all the distant lights of your Republic.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 22, 2022

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I genuinely hope you can get 3Division to see this stuff, it's absolutely incredible.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Volmarias posted:

I genuinely hope you can get 3Division to see this stuff, it's absolutely incredible.

I should find a way to get their eyes on it! I don't do any 'creator' stuff but I spend so much time and effort in this stuff for the game I just want to share it and would love for them to share it. I don't know how to do it, though, because I abhor 'content creation' so I just lurk their discord.

That said I'm not sure they'd have a lot of use for it considering like 1/30 buildings is actually vanilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I should find a way to get their eyes on it! I don't do any 'creator' stuff but I spend so much time and effort in this stuff for the game I just want to share it and would love for them to share it. I don't know how to do it, though, because I abhor 'content creation' so I just lurk their discord.

That said I'm not sure they'd have a lot of use for it considering like 1/30 buildings is actually vanilla.

See if the discord has a "post you're nation" channel?