Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, despite not being finished were Third Dimension and/or Voltron Force any good?

Not really. Third Dimension was a weird early stab at 3D and didn't have the charm or character of Beast Wars and Voltron was just a sort of an odd Voltron: The Next Generation with a thin animation budget and a terrible Eurotrash opening rap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Sockser posted:

I know it's easy to take shots at SNL for not being funny but
Mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Where's the jokes

Try this list: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2Vj3Kte4ihrmae_Bp23t5JsmsX_yTTrp
It's from one of the creators of the (now canceled) show Los Espookys who was also a writer on SNL

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, despite not being finished were Third Dimension and/or Voltron Force any good?

Also I once tried watching the anime Vehicle Force was based on (Dairugger or something like that) once but had to stop after a few episodes because it was boring and had an overly bloated cast. Does it get any better later?

Third Dimension looks horrifying and Stealth Voltron looks like a 3rd-party knock-off toy but it's got decent action for the era, solid voice work and Tim Curry being the most Tim Curry. Also people die! A lot!

Voltron Force is bland and bad. Which makes it worse is because you can see the attempts at care in parts but were clearly getting hamstrung by higher-ups.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

McTimmy posted:

Voltron Force is bland and bad. Which makes it worse is because you can see the attempts at care in parts but were clearly getting hamstrung by higher-ups.

I'm still a little mad that Allura's niece (from her... brother? Sister? It is unclear) is named 'Larmina' because it feels like the most bored attempt at a vaguely sci-fi/fantasy name ever.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
It honestly's starting to sound like no version of Voltron ever has had a good ending, or been good at all.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think Voltron's biggest cultural contribution is "and I'll form the leg!"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Junpei posted:

It honestly's starting to sound like no version of Voltron ever has had a good ending, or been good at all.

Even the original GoLion had a somewhat mediocre ending as I recall. The show has its moments but it’s a D-List anime for a reason

Larryb fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 6, 2022

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

I'm still a little mad that Allura's niece (from her... brother? Sister? It is unclear) is named 'Larmina' because it feels like the most bored attempt at a vaguely sci-fi/fantasy name ever.

Allura doesn't even have siblings in Voltron so it's really nonsensical. It was originally supposed to be her cousin from her Aunt Orla but Execs gonna exec.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
To add to the Netflix Voltron pile, my history with mecha besides that show are Gurren Lagann and like two episodes of G Gundam (i intend to go back and finish it sometime!), and I guess Super Sentai/mainly Power Rangers:
The show is really neat in the first couple seasons, then coincidentally it started labelling like 7 episode batches as seasons and those batches all end with massive changes to the status quo. So a storyline that's been building for those first two or three seasons finally happens, and then we execute on it for what feels like 3 episodes of getting the hang of it, 2 of enjoying that status quo, and then undoing it. If you liked the focal character for that storyline then RIP he's basically off the show for a batch or two. The release schedule becomes more aggressive in the backhalf, too, so poo poo feels rushed. And while nothing feels as backpedally as the plot I was alluding to, there's still a lot of storylines that just get resolved and reverted so you feel less and less rewarded for being invested. Many moments of "but this is surely a fakeout, right?" and it's not.

And then yeah, the ending was pretty bad. My girlfriend and I were basically hatewatching that last season.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Larryb posted:

Wow, I’ll probably keep watching just to see how much of trainwreck it winds up being
or you could instead finish Steven Universe??

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sivart13 posted:

I’ve got multiple shows I’ve been slowly going through and that’s one of them

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sivart13 posted:

I thought you were trying to suggest non-trainwreck endings! :v:

I like the SU finale but Future was bad, that's my hot take

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DoctorWhat posted:

This is a false dichotomy. When you are writing a story with a giant robot, even if that giant robot is merchandise, the giant robot should say something about the world and the people that interact with it. When Kamen Rider gets a new toy, that new toy is more interesting when it's connected with Kamen Rider's emotional growth trauma, or accomplishments, or foreshadows or reflects something about the setting and themes. In Gundam Iron-Blooded Orphans, the Barbatos is rebuilt over time in ways that increasingly reflect Mikazuki's body and mind and those new designs shape the action sequences in parallel to Mikazuki's development.

In VLD, the individual lions and weapons start this way early on and do fairly well at it, Shiro in particular, but this completely falls off halfway through the show and the mech fights and action becomes totally perfunctory because character success and failure is not coupled to growth or change in any way.

I'm reminded of critics going 'You can't just HAVE giant monsters fighting each other!!' over King of the Monsters or some poo poo and like, gently caress you sure you can, and you can and should have themes and character development and poo poo too. That's literally the whole thing with these shows. Like, look at Dragon Ball; the fans don't only see Goku getting a new powerup and hairdo, but the context in which that happens; Hulking out over Krillin's death and beating seven shades of poo poo out of Freiza, and then later Goku and Gohan spending a week constantly in their super mode to get used to it and getting kicked out of the house because they keep breaking everything over breakfast. That poo poo's context, it's story and character development, it says things about the characters mentally and physically, and provides catharsis and/or laffs.

drrockso20 posted:

Yeah you can really tell Netflix Voltron was the production staff just using the IP to bring their own ideas for a sci-fi series to life(which ends up just mostly being a dull PG Mass Effect knockoff) rather than having any actual respect or interest in the source material

This happens every goddamn time you get that kind of adaptation, like every video game movie where the writers clearly just want to slap a marketable name on their own ideas which turn out to be mostly hack garbage. Or the Witcher series where the new writers openly hate the source material and goddamn Henry Cavill walked over it.

vv: The TV show is what I'm talking about, yeah.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Dec 6, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Witcher was novels first, video games second, tv show third.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MorningMoon posted:

To add to the Netflix Voltron pile, my history with mecha besides that show are Gurren Lagann and like two episodes of G Gundam (i intend to go back and finish it sometime!), and I guess Super Sentai/mainly Power Rangers:
The show is really neat in the first couple seasons, then coincidentally it started labelling like 7 episode batches as seasons and those batches all end with massive changes to the status quo. So a storyline that's been building for those first two or three seasons finally happens, and then we execute on it for what feels like 3 episodes of getting the hang of it, 2 of enjoying that status quo, and then undoing it. If you liked the focal character for that storyline then RIP he's basically off the show for a batch or two. The release schedule becomes more aggressive in the backhalf, too, so poo poo feels rushed. And while nothing feels as backpedally as the plot I was alluding to, there's still a lot of storylines that just get resolved and reverted so you feel less and less rewarded for being invested. Many moments of "but this is surely a fakeout, right?" and it's not.

And then yeah, the ending was pretty bad. My girlfriend and I were basically hatewatching that last season.

Like I said, this is basically the Lotor screwjob in a nutshell. "Oh. O-oooh? Wait, are they really doing this? But that just-- Oh gently caress. They're doing it. lol. lmao, even. Holy poo poo. gently caress this show."

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

TwoPair posted:

I like the SU finale but Future was bad, that's my hot take
well I'm halfway through the SU rewatch so I'll see how I feel this time. I remember loving everything at the time

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I haven't finished Future, but I think I basically loved everything about it except what involved Steven himself. And I get what they're going for and the idea that it sucks to be a hero after the war is over and everyone's moving on leaving you with no idea what to do with yourself, but it's not always fun to watch.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I haven't finished Future, but I think I basically loved everything about it except what involved Steven himself. And I get what they're going for and the idea that it sucks to be a hero after the war is over and everyone's moving on leaving you with no idea what to do with yourself, but it's not always fun to watch.

I agree with this. I wasn't enjoying watching it at the start, but I'm glad I stuck with it -- for the ending and for Bismuth Casual.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Like I said, this is basically the Lotor screwjob in a nutshell. "Oh. O-oooh? Wait, are they really doing this? But that just-- Oh gently caress. They're doing it. lol. lmao, even. Holy poo poo. gently caress this show."

The Lotor thing is interesting because it comes off as a long con initially until you realize it's for serious... and then it's not. It doesn't come off as any kind of set up though, just a hard 180 out of nowhere.

I was reading up on the ending because I'd forgotten about it and hate myself and really am baffled at the generic 'good' endings everybody got (except the POC lady). Hunk likes to eat so he has a cooking empire, despite his actual love being aeronautic engineering. Keith turns the Blade into a humanitarian group which is fine but... still goofy for that group. And it was refreshed in my memory Lance is Cuban so he's... a farmer. Cubanos do that, right? Despite him wanting to be a pilot.

Oh! And the found family breaks up and meets like once a year. So.

This show. Anyway, Allurance forever.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

It would appear the purge is not yet complete, as Clarence has now been memory holed off of HBO Max

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The History of the Looney Tunes series continues on through the 60s after the closure of Warner Brothers' in-house animation studio and into WB being purchased by a new company who would gently caress around with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB9jHnDvnc0

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

The Lotor thing is interesting because it comes off as a long con initially until you realize it's for serious... and then it's not. It doesn't come off as any kind of set up though, just a hard 180 out of nowhere.

I was reading up on the ending because I'd forgotten about it and hate myself and really am baffled at the generic 'good' endings everybody got (except the POC lady). Hunk likes to eat so he has a cooking empire, despite his actual love being aeronautic engineering. Keith turns the Blade into a humanitarian group which is fine but... still goofy for that group. And it was refreshed in my memory Lance is Cuban so he's... a farmer. Cubanos do that, right? Despite him wanting to be a pilot.

Oh! And the found family breaks up and meets like once a year. So.

This show. Anyway, Allurance forever.

It was so out of nowhere, incongruous to everything that came before it and ruinous to his character that I honestly thought it was the set up for a reveal that Lotor was just the latest in a line of Lotor clones stretching back 10,000 years so that Zarkon and Haggar could keep having a son around, and that the version of Lotor that the show follows went "off-model" and became an egalitarian reformer and that horrifying Soylent Green magic elf battery Joy Can planet was the work of a prior Lotor and Current Lotor would have been all "...what the fuuuuuck?". But nah, Lotor's just irreconcilably evil because we need to get rid of him now and quickly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject I’ve also been going through the How To Train Your Dragon TV/Netflix series. It’s not required viewing or anything but it’s a fun little show that bridges the gap between the first and second movies and introduces a few other characters from the novels the films cut out

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I can't find any physical copies of Peewee's Playhouse anywhere :(

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Off the subject I’ve also been going through the How To Train Your Dragon TV/Netflix series. It’s not required viewing or anything but it’s a fun little show that bridges the gap between the first and second movies and introduces a few other characters from the novels the films cut out

I remember the old Rider/Defenders of Berk show that preceded the Netflix stuff being pretty good too, if a little on the cheap side compared to the movies. Lot of episodic, tv-scale stuff to it, but it carried the spirit of the movies rather well, and definitely helped by Jay Baruchel, America Ferrera, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse all reprising their roles from the movies we don't talk about T.J. Miller also being there, ok

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i Really liked su futures end esp wrt steven, it was like cathartic in a kind of painful way but also sort of reassuring?? and it still ends on a relatively positive note so :)

and yeah re new voltron really feels like in hindsight it wants to go Unlike Other Mechas Ours Focuses On etc etc etc but the thing is that like half the cast in new voltron stops mattering after their single Thing and the other half get hilariously slapdash ends to their "arcs", like how keith being a edgy loner is magically fixed in a 30 second long wordless montage on a space whale with his bad mom and also its time dilation so its like 3 years????

plus like others have said, the Lotor Stuff is bizarre. afaik the showrunners wanted to bait people into thinking hes zuko when hes actually azula but, a easy way to have him be evil offscreen is to just have some voltron person tail him when hes acting shady and uh oh bad science!! and have like, foreshadowing instead of introducing some rando whos whole purpose is to go "and this is how he was secretly evil off screen just the whole time"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also like maybe don't definitively deflate all that "is he a good guy, or just acting like one?" tension halfway through his character arc so that when it comes time to do the reveal, your audience gets mad about it because they thought the matter was settled and he was in fact a cool dude.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlothfulCobra posted:

The History of the Looney Tunes series continues on through the 60s after the closure of Warner Brothers' in-house animation studio and into WB being purchased by a new company who would gently caress around with them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cB9jHnDvnc0

Yeah watched that a couple days ago, reminds me I need to get back to my project of watching every Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies short*, that Internet Archive playlist unfortunately got taken down a while ago but I decided to finally just torrent a complete collection that was being hosted on MySpleen since I had a 4.5 TB drive sitting around so plenty of space to store that 411 GB monster of a set

*though admittedly at this point I'll probably be skimming my way through most of the remaining Bosko shorts

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Sockser posted:

It would appear the purge is not yet complete, as Clarence has now been memory holed off of HBO Max

Well duh, HBO's about to be memory-holed off of HBO Max! Everything must go!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TwoPair posted:

Gotts make room for the 90 Day Fiancée Extended Universe.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

moosferatu posted:

I agree with this. I wasn't enjoying watching it at the start, but I'm glad I stuck with it -- for the ending and for Bismuth Casual.

I haven't at all been able to keep up with the thread (and I'm still leery about Steven Universe discourse) but were some bits I really liked. The entire aftermath of the Zoo is really interesting on a few levels. Giving the Zoomans control of the place is actually a great solution for the very big problem of what you do with a bunch of humans who have literally no survival or coping skills after millennia in captivity, the ability to interact with the rest of the universe on their own terms and always being able to retreat to a safe and familiar space. It's also almost like a counterpart to Little Homeworld- rather than a home for Gems who are influenced by human culture, it's a home for humans influenced by Gem culture. Even if they're in the same place, the context and roles have completely changed. Also funny that Holly Blue Agate is finding herself some use teaching the Zoomans to be assertive- she may have many unpleasant personality traits and behaviours, but many of those are also useful social skills that you sometimes need.

I suppose when you have a story that's ultimately about social change, it makes sense for a sequel/epilogue to explore how the people affected by that change are reacting and adapting to it.

ed: though on a check I'm literally one of the last ones actively discussing in the SU thread, so, but eh.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 7, 2022

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

I remember the old Rider/Defenders of Berk show that preceded the Netflix stuff being pretty good too, if a little on the cheap side compared to the movies. Lot of episodic, tv-scale stuff to it, but it carried the spirit of the movies rather well, and definitely helped by Jay Baruchel, America Ferrera, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse all reprising their roles from the movies we don't talk about T.J. Miller also being there, ok

That’s why I said TV/Netflix series (I believe it aired for two seasons on Cartoon Network originally before getting moved over to Netflix, renamed, and running for six more), it starts developing more of a story later on but yeah (also Mark Hamill has a reoccurring role in the series). Though out of curiosity why was Jonah Hill about the only one not present despite returning to voice Snotlout in both film sequels?

Apparently the movies/show deviate a fair bit from the books as well (for example, in the story Hiccup didn’t invent the concept of dragon taming and Astrid doesn’t exist)

On that note, how’s the sequel series apparently set in modern day (Nine Realms or something like that)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Dec 7, 2022

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

TwoPair posted:

Gotta make the least searchable name for their streaming platform possible.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

On that note, how’s the sequel series apparently set in modern day (Nine Realms or something like that)?

Not a drat clue, it's not on anywhere I can watch it legally so I've never bothered to check it out. The internet was mad about at least its first season, from what I recall, but the internet is always mad about childrens cartoons now, so I can't tell if it's legitimately not good, just made some choices that cheesed off long time HTTYD fans, or it's just too woke for sensitive people's feelings somehow.

I dunno.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

nine-gear crow posted:

Not a drat clue, it's not on anywhere I can watch it legally so I've never bothered to check it out. The internet was mad about at least its first season, from what I recall, but the internet is always mad about childrens cartoons now, so I can't tell if it's legitimately not good, just made some choices that cheesed off long time HTTYD fans, or it's just too woke for sensitive people's feelings somehow.

I dunno.

I’m pretty sure it’s on Netflix at least (the fourth season just came out fairly recently)

How are the original HTTYD novels for that matter (from what I’ve heard the movies/shows take a lot of liberties with them)?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 7, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

I dunno.

Search your feelings. The main kids are all different ethnicities, one kid's a paraplegic and another has two moms.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Search your feelings. The main kids are all different ethnicities, one kid's a paraplegic and another has two moms.

"Representation = bad writing... somehow". Got it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Does the cartoon do anything to differentiate the twins from one another over time? I always find that interesting, like in Power Rangers RPM with Gem and Gemma, who were initially pretty inseparable even finishing each others sentences and talking back and forth a lot, but then over time Gemma started hanging out with the Blue ranger and growing apart from Gem and I thought that was a neat development.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

Does the cartoon do anything to differentiate the twins from one another over time? I always find that interesting, like in Power Rangers RPM with Gem and Gemma, who were initially pretty inseparable even finishing each others sentences and talking back and forth a lot, but then over time Gemma started hanging out with the Blue ranger and growing apart from Gem and I thought that was a neat development.

Occasionally there’s episodes where one is focused on over the other but otherwise they’re basically the same bumbling idiots they were in the movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

"Representation = bad writing... somehow". Got it.

Oh my god do I have a video series for you.

https://youtu.be/-lXdZn6c0Rc

https://youtu.be/uvT2p3QIKPk

https://youtu.be/cn1NbXGv3v0

I haven’t had a chance to finish it yet but it’s pretty wild.