Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Starry Knight is one of those archetypes that feels like it's just missing one or two really good pieces of support to make it possibly rogue, but yeah, in the meantime its fun but mostly only usable against people who don't know what the deck does :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
The duelist cup will soon be upon us:

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
With yet another new structure deck coming up, I really wish Master Duel would do the thing that physical structure decks do, with two or three staples or semi-staples in every deck. It's how I got physical playsets of Ash Blossom, Impermanence, Called By, Dimension Shifter, Ghost Belle, Dark Ruler No More, et cetera. I know it's not entirely feasible with the way the Master Duel economy is set up, but it's still a nice thought.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Alright, so I’m legitimately wondering what’s going on:

I’ve been playing a lot of Utopian recently, and I’ve had a few matches where I had all of my Utopia/Utopic XYZ monsters get destroyed by Raigeki or other straightforward board clears… and even though I had ZS - Utopia Sage on the board (not as a material for Number F0), I wasn’t given the prompt to offer to banish it instead of getting the rest of my Utopians destroyed.

The only thing I can think of is that I also had a Number 38: HHDTG on the board, so does ZS’ effect not get a chance to go off if any of my cards about to be destroyed aren’t Utopia/Utopic? Or is it because ZS can’t fire off if it’s caught up in the same destruction effect at the time it resolves?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Mix. posted:

Starry Knight is one of those archetypes that feels like it's just missing one or two really good pieces of support to make it possibly rogue, but yeah, in the meantime its fun but mostly only usable against people who don't know what the deck does :v:

Speaking of archetypes that needed a few good support cards, the new structured traptrix released in japan a few days ago and boy did they get a boost with the new cards.

The field spell is good, the main deck effect monsters are good, the new xyz and link are good, the new archetype shade is good, their new card draw is good even their new trap hole is good. Ive seen a few matches against Ishizu tear and kshatriya against them and they all look really fun, and interactive

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Regalingualius posted:

Alright, so I’m legitimately wondering what’s going on:

I’ve been playing a lot of Utopian recently, and I’ve had a few matches where I had all of my Utopia/Utopic XYZ monsters get destroyed by Raigeki or other straightforward board clears… and even though I had ZS - Utopia Sage on the board (not as a material for Number F0), I wasn’t given the prompt to offer to banish it instead of getting the rest of my Utopians destroyed.

The only thing I can think of is that I also had a Number 38: HHDTG on the board, so does ZS’ effect not get a chance to go off if any of my cards about to be destroyed aren’t Utopia/Utopic? Or is it because ZS can’t fire off if it’s caught up in the same destruction effect at the time it resolves?

I figured out what it is. I highlighted it for you:

quote:

...If a "Utopia" or "Utopic" Xyz Monster(s) you control whose original Attribute is LIGHT would be destroyed by battle or card effect, except "ZS - Utopic Sage", you can banish this card from your field or GY instead.

So yeah it's the fact that it's going to be destroyed as well that prevents you from using the effect

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah, same situation as historically applied to Six Samurais (if two or more are being blown up at once, you can't have one of them that's already doomed take the hit for all of them)

Dabir fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 7, 2022

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Alright, I honestly kind of realized that in the middle of typing that question up.

Here’s another: I had a Utopia Dragonar that was equipped with ZW - Tornado Bringer, which specifically says “While this card is equipped to a monster, your opponent cannot target that monster with card effects”… but my opponent was still able to target the Dragonar and negate it’s effects with Forbidden Droplet. I can get not being able to activate cards of the same type as the discarded in response, but shouldn’t the ZW’s passive effect preventing targeting still be in effect? Or is it still treated as an “activated” effect?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Droplet doesn't target. You choose what it's affecting on resolution.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Regalingualius posted:

Alright, I honestly kind of realized that in the middle of typing that question up.

Here’s another: I had a Utopia Dragonar that was equipped with ZW - Tornado Bringer, which specifically says “While this card is equipped to a monster, your opponent cannot target that monster with card effects”… but my opponent was still able to target the Dragonar and negate it’s effects with Forbidden Droplet. I can get not being able to activate cards of the same type as the discarded in response, but shouldn’t the ZW’s passive effect preventing targeting still be in effect? Or is it still treated as an “activated” effect?

As the above poster said, droplet doesn't target. Konami is pretty precise about their language nowadays, so if a card doesn't specifically say "target" and instead is something like "choose" or "select" then it isn't considered to be a targeted effect.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I see, kind of counterintuitive, but I get it now.

Also… are there any major archetypes that actually want to go second?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

Glad beasts? Any aggro theme?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Numeron OTK hates going first.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Ardeem posted:

Numeron OTK hates going first.

Most OTKs really don't wanna go first in my experience, primarily because of that whole 'can't attack on the first turn' thing.

The exception is, like, burn or mill OTK.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Regalingualius posted:

Crusadia OTK

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Regalingualius posted:

8-Axis, although that's not really an "archetype".

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!
Sky Striker's probably the most obvious one in the current game.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Anything that makes big boys that wanna smash is a blind 2nd. Superheavies, Trains, Crusadia, Ancient Gears, Gren Maju, Dinos, Mathmech, Utopia (that's you lmao), cyber dragons, fluffals. If something isn't control or stun it's blind 2nd otk or its poo poo. poo poo.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

drat, I feel like I’m really missing something, since up to now I’d been playing Utopia with a mindset of setting up as much on-board lockdown as possible on Turn 1

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Regalingualius posted:

drat, I feel like I’m really missing something, since up to now I’d been playing Utopia with a mindset of setting up as much on-board lockdown as possible on Turn 1

Most Utopia decks commit fully to the Utopia Double combo and everything else is a backup plan

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah the dragonic utopia line of play is a backup against going first, so you arent completely open.
2 negates (plus any hand traps) isnt incredible levels of interaction but it can let you survive long enough against another deck for your turn 3 otk.

On a really good hand you might manage to also summon a hope harbinger through dragonar and that really ups your survivability.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Dec 8, 2022

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Sheesh, this new pack is not great. But lmao at Illegal Knight being a UR after all the hits to Adventure.

What's Floowandereeze do now without the Barrier Statue? I don't suppose the Simorgh cards enable anything interesting.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think you just replace the Barrier Statue with a DD Crow. The deck is obviously worse without its highroll lockout board but it still has an incredibly powerful resource loop and can seal the win by putting bad cards back with Mega Raiza. Advent was a big consistency boost and lets you end on both the trap and Apex Avian significantly more often.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I gotta be real, it’s really starting to feel like y’all were bullshitting me about Utopia preferring to go second

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Utopia wants to go first. They want to set up their negates and interaction and then OTK on their second turn.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Idk i never lost to a utopia that goes first but the combo always gets me, i probably play more 2nd turn interaction then most people tbf

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Is it similar to this list?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3MdhBN6Epg
It has some reasonable going second tools in Utopia and the Double combo but you'd probably rather set up your Counter Trap + weird monster negate to impede your opponent's turn before going for a kill.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
Does anyone have a good guide on taking the Zombie structure deck and turning it into something you could feasibly play around the Platinum level? I have the UR dust to craft two copies of Doomking, and most of the major staples, but nothing much beyond that.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Is it similar to this list?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3MdhBN6Epg
It has some reasonable going second tools in Utopia and the Double combo but you'd probably rather set up your Counter Trap + weird monster negate to impede your opponent's turn before going for a kill.

Yeah, that’s mostly the exact deck I’m running, though with the numbers of a couple main deck cards swapped around + some fill-ins for the generic Xyzs because I ran out of UR points (though I do have Zeus and Hope Harbinger, at least)

E: also have a couple of Kaijus slotted in

Regalingualius fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Dec 9, 2022

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Skios posted:

Does anyone have a good guide on taking the Zombie structure deck and turning it into something you could feasibly play around the Platinum level? I have the UR dust to craft two copies of Doomking, and most of the major staples, but nothing much beyond that.

This is the new list from MDM: https://www.masterduelmeta.com/saved-decks/6391ea6a4cb58b992be1aa7c

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I have the UR Branded fusion monsters now. Should I build Branded with the Adventure engine or the Patchwork engine?

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I have the UR Branded fusion monsters now. Should I build Branded with the Adventure engine or the Patchwork engine?

I believe the current general consensus is the Patchwork engine.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

How do you beat this loving stupid Performapals FTK?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Regalingualius posted:

How do you beat this loving stupid Performapals FTK?

Uh. What Performapal FTK?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what game the Utopia guy is playing.

I secretly give great answers for their questions, but I only post them on the discord.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

The one that caps off with summoning a pair of Supreme King Dragon Starving Venom, then a… Lyrisac(?) fusion whose effect is to deal 500 x level damage, which they then copy and use to deal 4k damage apiece.

I’m just frustrated because it’s one of the few decks I’ve faced in the current event that’s just straight-up solitaire.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I bet you won't see it again, don't worry about it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I’ve run into it at least a few times today, here’s a list that looks pretty spot on:

https://www.masterduelmeta.com/top-decks/diamond-i/december-2022/pendulum-magician/evilcat/Yt33H

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Any FTK with real consistency will get banned out of MD if the bots get ahold of it. See the Banquet of Millions format in MD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I see the bot programmers have upped their game. I guess the Igknight FTK that ends on the same combo was getting outed too much.