Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Feels surreal to see this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hogama posted:

Feels surreal to see this.

Going to sleep now so I can wake up and... Fort

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
flipping through an obnoxiously large steam library full of top dollar entertainment and longing for the df update to release instead

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

xylo posted:

can't loving wait this. gonna be torture waiting for work to get done to play. here's to letting like large 1000 year world gen throughout the day while I wait to play

Supposedly worldgen is much faster now.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Okay this is good.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

6 more hours.
cant believe that im hyped up for release that is adding proper UI and soundtrack.
i was only planning to buy it to support the developer.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Can someone please post that collection of insane and hilarious df patch notes, the stuff like babies riding their mothers like horses etc

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Flavahbeast posted:

oh, is this a early access game?

profoundly!

realtalk though there's gonna be improvements and fixes and the interface, but this game is the same mess it's been the past year

the steam/itch release is just a very convoluted donation that also pays for the artists at kitfox, who tarn and zach employed to art the art

DF nu-graphics are the free tote bag awarded for pledging to public radio, so to say

in some weeks or months down the line, the steamver and the freever should only differ by the skin and soundtrack, all the bones will be the same

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

i remember being possessed by a fit of mania in 2011 and learning to dorf fort in a single 12-hour session

i wonder how often that story will echo tomorrow. hope Toady makes insane bank off of this, this is as worthwhile a work of art as anything can ever be

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

Can someone please post that collection of insane and hilarious df patch notes, the stuff like babies riding their mothers like horses etc

https://harpers.org/archive/2016/11/elf-governance/

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The last time I played this it was a simple (lol) one-z-level thing where you dug left-to-right, is it now a surface-to-deeps thing? I really enjoy progression in stuff like Terraria where you got rewarded for exploring further with better ore/tools/etc.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Captain Invictus posted:

remember when cats would die to alcohol poisoning.
Due to dwarves spilling alcohol everywhere and cats cleaning their alcohol soaked paws.
or undead whales with legs. I think that didnt get fixed.
or soldier moms taking their babies with em to war as ablative armor and having mental breakdown due to dying babies.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Dark Off posted:

soldier moms taking their babies with em to war as ablative armor and having mental breakdown due to dying babies.

Has that been fixed?

Daycare Zones when, Tarn?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's just short of 4 hours of beginners guide:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLN8cOcTjdo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYDOYfPkhCY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIXLf5G6DXw

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

can't believe its only 4 hours

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

I vote for the best gangtag with a gray "E"

Pierson posted:

The last time I played this it was a simple (lol) one-z-level thing where you dug left-to-right, is it now a surface-to-deeps thing? I really enjoy progression in stuff like Terraria where you got rewarded for exploring further with better ore/tools/etc.
That was 2006/7, z-levels were added in 2007

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

https://twitter.com/DwarfFortBugs Here's a collection of dwarf fortress bug reports, too.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Zesty posted:

Has that been fixed?

Daycare Zones when, Tarn?

i think it was fixed.
there was also bug where babies died at age of 2 due to not having any clothes, the embarrassment was just too much for em.
Also i think undead cats could still adopt dwarves.

and daycare zones might be possible with burrows.
since you can assign dwarves to burrows.

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Dec 6, 2022

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

I have not been making advisable use of my time tonight.

So, here's one with transplanted typography (and made a bit less wide):

And here's what I just felt like doing for the poo poo of it to see if it'd fit in under 10kb (it does):

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Even if for some reason I never put in a single minute of game time in Steam Dwarf Fortress, the Tarn brothers deserve money being thrown their way for their tireless efforts over the years making and building upon such a groundbreaking (no pun intended) game.

Also, gently caress American medical care expenses.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Pierson posted:

Yea, there's now usually more than a hundred z levels deep/high, encompassing a variety of underground features and tons of space for insane constructions.

Don't expect progression like Terraria, though. There's new ores to unlock underground, but they aren't guaranteed at every starting location and the systems don't work in a way that conveys linear growth in power. A fully-max-geared dwarf can still fumble or get scared or dodge himself off a ledge, while a dwarf in copper can get a lucky/skilled shot and accomplish amazing martial feats.

The progression underground is better seen as new opportunities for fun

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Even if for some reason I never put in a single minute of game time in Steam Dwarf Fortress, the Tarn brothers deserve money being thrown their way for their tireless efforts over the years making and building upon such a groundbreaking (no pun intended) game.

Also, gently caress American medical care expenses.

Not just that old message from 2007, but they said one of the things that drove them to do this big release is to help mitigate future medical expense issues after Zach had a bout with cancer a few years ago.

edit: Here's a whole write-up.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/8xypb5/the-dwarf-fortress-creators-werent-in-it-for-money-but-now-they-need-it

Zesty fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 6, 2022

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I have never played Dwarf Fortress but I've known about it for years and think I'd enjoy it. I have never experienced the game's interface, but I have heard it's bad.

Would it be playable on Steam Deck, or is that control scheme a nonstarter?

I do not count the fact that, technically, you could use some monstrous hyper custom interface with dozens of nested menus and an on screen keyboard to play it. Could it be played in a way where I'm driven insane by the gameplay, not the controls?

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I have never played Dwarf Fortress but I've known about it for years and think I'd enjoy it. I have never experienced the game's interface, but I have heard it's bad.

Would it be playable on Steam Deck, or is that control scheme a nonstarter?

I do not count the fact that, technically, you could use some monstrous hyper custom interface with dozens of nested menus and an on screen keyboard to play it. Could it be played in a way where I'm driven insane by the gameplay, not the controls?

A large part of the interface overhaul is that it will finally properly support mouse input. You'll probably be at a slight disadvantage without access to keyboard hotkeys, but it should in theory be much more feasible than it would have been before this point.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MonkeyforaHead posted:

And here's what I just felt like doing for the poo poo of it to see if it'd fit in under 10kb (it does):

Hfs

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

:stare:

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God I hope the itch.io release is concurrent

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
*rolling on the floor, stamping my feet around* is it out yet

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

MonkeyforaHead posted:

I have not been making advisable use of my time tonight.

So, here's one with transplanted typography (and made a bit less wide):

Oh dang I really like the second one.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

HopperUK posted:

Oh dang I really like the second one.

Yeah I think we will go with that for the giveaways, but if you want any of the others feel free to grab them imo.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

MonkeyforaHead posted:

This one but make each "E" gray

Using one of the grays already in the color space won't change the filesize

stringless fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Dec 6, 2022

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

FFT posted:

This one but make each "E" gray

Using one of the grays already in the color space won't change the filesize

That's just gonna look freaking weird and out of place unless I change the alignment so they're all above one another, which barely fits in the framing.

This actually fits a little better, but idk if there's any point to finalizing either of these

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I don't care for the "hidden" elephant in-joke. It takes too much attention for no reason.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
if youre going to disgrace yourself with a gangtag you might as well layer on the injokes

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
Hope i can get through the workday without starting a tantrum spiral, i've been waiting so long

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

No, no, just change each E to gray and keep everything else the same in this one:

They don't have to line up

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think DF is gonna sell a quarter million in two days at least

my steam friends list has 134 people with it wishlisted. I literally can't think of more than a couple other games that have had that many people interested in it enough to wishlist it before can you just post it here since I'm not subscribing to some website to read funny patch notes

Zereth posted:

https://twitter.com/DwarfFortBugs Here's a collection of dwarf fortress bug reports, too.
I swear someone posted a google doc of the most insane ones at some point, but I can't find it and was hoping someone could repost it. rather than a twitter feed of them I mean

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

:shrug:

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

Hope i can get through the workday without starting a tantrum spiral, i've been waiting so long

This. I work at a factory and I'm gonna be too tired to play when I get home most likely. (And need to go to bed too early to risk firing it up, even though I probably will.)